Old November 18, 2002, 15:41   #31
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO

Happy B-day then (okay, a bit early, but I'll prolly have forgotten it by then )

As to posting each start position in a separate thread: no thank you. If your start is very bad, you might want to risk posting it, if it is decent or even good you don't want others to get any piece of information on you. So post as you like, as long as you don't force us to post ours

DeepO
Shush, you! I'm trying to get a sneak peek where all of the teams are starting out at.
Old November 18, 2002, 15:44   #32
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
if you get a bad start location Aeson joins your team. simple as that.
That would work. Aeson can win with nothing but a city radius full of 21 desert tiles.

(And that's assuming his initial worker was killed by a barbarian before it could make any improvements.)
Old November 18, 2002, 21:14   #33
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

Local Time: 06:07
I'm with Randolph...now we need to determine what God Aweful would be.

IMHO, if you can't generate more than 10 shields at your start location with a size 6 city, then that position is god aweful.
Old November 18, 2002, 22:27   #34
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:07
10 shields in size 6? that would be considered a good position! If you can't reach size 6, that would be god awwful... which is a rare occurence, as you can always move your settler a little. The only posititions that really need restarting are the all-desert, or all-tundra ones. Everything else is ok. Don't expect that every civ will start with a bonus resource, if you got one you will be lucky. For rivers the same... some teams won't have rivers nearby, nothing to avoid this.

DeepO
Old November 18, 2002, 22:39   #35
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I hope the requirements aren't too restrictive.

how can we possibly guarentee 8 perfect spots?
Old November 18, 2002, 22:49   #36
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I say: "if in 5 turns of exploration (2/3 for expansionistic?) you can't find a city cite that is capable of reaching size 6)"

As stated above, there's no way we can (or should) guarantee even a good starting position for everyone. OTOH I would like to protect against that rare (but we've all seen it) starting location that is so bad the team doesn't even have a real chance.
I'd say there's less than a 10% chance for this, but even this chance is worth protecting against for a game that will be as involved and long as this one.

I do think we should decide and move on to more important issues.
Old November 19, 2002, 10:31   #37
WarriorPoet
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Prince

moving 5 turns! DeepO, I've found that you need to produce 10 shields by size 6 to fend off the AI that sometimes surround you. Back to Randolph, 5 turns??? I would say 3 moves max to find a good start position, and I'm talking about the settler moving.
Old November 19, 2002, 10:43   #38
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

WarriorPoet, 10 shields is not needed at all, and even with bonus resources is quite rare. Besides, how many games have you played in which the capital was at size 6 in the ancient era? Most of the times it is a settler farm, and only starts to grow when you start going to war. It's only after either Monarchy or Republic that it will actually start to produce a little.

As to the movement: that seems a good discussion start: if you aren't able to find a start position, 3 moves away from the initial start, that will allow your city to grow to size 6, you are allowed a restart. But don't misinterpret Randolph here: he was sying that if you can't find a position within 5 turns (of exploring), you should be able to restart... which would mean something like 2 moves with your settler. Which is also fine for me...

DeepO
Old November 19, 2002, 13:47   #39
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 07:07
I think we just ought to pick a neutral poster whom we can all agree is trustworthy and send him the map, and trust his judgement with respect to the definition of "god awful." Otherwise, we're gonna sit here and debate the definition amongst ourselves for a week.

Speaking of Aeson... might he be a good judge of the start locations? I doubt anyone would accuse him of being soft on people

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old November 19, 2002, 13:52   #40
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

That is if he won't join our team
Old November 19, 2002, 14:49   #41
WarriorPoet
Prince

Good points DeepO. I play differently, more of a modified builder I guess...my capital always gets to size 6 in the ancient era, which means more wonders, more culture, and a bigger army for me-at least that's been my experience. As to the movement requirement, I'll side with the 5 turn thing, if indeed it is interpretted as you say DeepO, that the settler gets only two moves.
Old November 19, 2002, 15:18   #42
DeepO
Emperor

Well.. I would like both approaches: Aeson would make a fine judge on starting positions (provided he plays out the first few turns, as I really think we should take moving a settler into account), OTOH we could define it as any position withing 2 moves can produce enough food to get to size 6.

Probably a referee would be better, as he can also spot if there is one superb position, which would unbalance the game (like having 3 cows, when others have half desert).

DeepO
Old November 19, 2002, 19:10   #43
WarriorPoet
Prince

Yes, we are now in agreement...if only we could see something official on this topic...better yet, is there to be a demo game newsletter e-mail???
Old November 19, 2002, 23:05   #44
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:07
Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
Yes, we are now in agreement...if only we could see something official on this topic...better yet, is there to be a demo game newsletter e-mail???
There had been some discussion of an independant journal that followed the game with press releases from each team in the PTW threads. I don't know how far that got but it sounded like a good idea to me at the time....
Old November 19, 2002, 23:12   #45
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I asked catt to do this, but he said he doesn't have the time for it

And I would prefer this thing being done by a non-member

Wasn't Trip gonna do a newZ-update btw??
Old November 19, 2002, 23:35   #46
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Yes, I prefer a non-member to do it.
Old November 19, 2002, 23:52   #47
Aeson
Emperor

I would love to help, but I don't have PtW, and probably won't have it before the start of your game.

If you're interested in a utility that would analyze the starting locations and make sure each was viable, I may be able to help. It wouldn't be too hard to switch a scoring utility I've been working on over to do something of that nature, and I'm sure there are other utility makers out there who could do the same.

A judge would be easier though.
Old November 20, 2002, 06:25   #48
DeepO
Emperor

Thanks for the offer Aeson... that scoring utility would indeed be rather artififical, but so would the size-6-within-2-moves rule.

Anyone else knows a possible judge?

DeepO
Old November 20, 2002, 17:35   #49
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:07
Here's a novel Idea.

Give your trird party person the specifics for what you want. THey will create 4 games using the specifics, throwing out the ones that would be too unbalanced. They then post screen shots of all 4 to each of the team threads. The teams rank from what is available, from 1 to 4. THe third party will then, using the ranks, narrow it down to 1 or 2 choises. If 2 choices, he'll repost for a final team ranking and then that will be the final start version.

Just to let you know, I'm not playing PTW until most likely around New Years.

E_T