Old November 16, 2002, 13:36   #1
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Local Time: 06:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Explanation of the "Scenario" Folder
Stuck wondering what that mess of scenarios and mods included with PTW really is? Well, find out here, in this comprehensive listing of *everything* in that heap of tossings they call the "Scenario" folder. I'll add to the list as I go, but this includes the names of the maps, the official scenario desciption, and my interpretation of what it really is. The name is in bold, the in-scenario description is in italics, and my comments are just plain, humble text

And Firaxis? Feel free to add this into a patch, you numbskulls

------------------------------

Age of Bronze - Swiat bez zelaza. - I have no idea what that means. This is a map consisting of a giant "Fe" (the Periodic Table of Elements symbol for iron) crossed out in a circle. No iron. How quaint. It's for eight players with set starting places and no edited rules.

Ancient Mediterranean - The Ancient Mediterranean MOD lets you replay the Rise of Rome, the Punic Wars, Alexander's conquest or the Gothic invasion. Play as Rome, Carthage, Troy, Persia, Goths, Iberia, Egypt, Nubia and many more. From 8.000 BC to 600 A.D - by Jan van der Crabben - PLEASE NOTE: This version of the mod has had most graphics removed - if you want to add in the graphics and unit animations, etc, please check out www.civ3.com for the Ancient Mediterranean mod patch. - A host of changed and added civs, including Goths, Minoans, and Etruscans, this mod oddly comes with no included map. It does possess many graphical changes which pair up with a slew of new and renamed units including the Arab Horseman, Hun Raider, and Barbarian Ship.

Ancient World - This is the main map for the Ancient Mediterranean MOD. North aligned, from Ireland to central Arabia. All Ancient Mediterranean Mod Civs, except Kush, are playable on this map. From 8.000 BC to 600 AD - by Jan van der Crabben. PLEASE NOTE: This version of the mod has had most graphics removed - if you want to add in the graphics and unit animations, etc, please check out www.civ3.com for the Ancient Mediterranean mod patch. - And here's the map for the mod above- along with the necessary MOD! I don't know why one was included without the other, but perhaps the maker, Jan van der Crabben, can add more info.

Apshai Ancient - This a 4 player ancient era Victory Location scenario. Capture the 4 Victory Point Locations in the center of the map. - A square island with a smaller square island inside, this is a basic strategy map, most likely intended for online play.

Barbarian Stronghold 2 - The second barbarian stronghold. Made by "Jon Hultgren" - A ring with eight strong points surrounding another, smaller island, this is another strategy map, most likely intended for online play.

Barbarian Stronghold - Barbarians are dominent. Can you outlast The duel threat, only time will tell. - Well, Jon Hultgren probably meant "dual" threat, most likely from other civs and from the barbarians- I dunno. Any rate, there's a bunch of barbarian "nodes" teeming with settlements, which will be swarming with barbarians in a short amount of time. This map is a completely freeform set of islands, some interconnected, some not.

BTM_Basic.4.1 - The Beta Tester Mod -- Basic Version (revision 4.1) Changes include: Reduced espionage costs, improved armies, improved naval and air warfare, and improved unit and UU balance. See BTM_Basic_Readme.4.1.txt for details. - This mod includes no map, and is intended to improve the random single player game, it includes a veritable smorgasborg of tweaks- some minor, some more serious- developed by several forummers of Apolyton including monkspider, korn469, and Elucidus.

BTM_Basic - The Beta Tester Mod - Basic Version (revision 3.3)
* Reduced espionage costs
* Improved armies
* Improved naval and air warfare
* Improved unit balance
See BTM_Basic_Readme.txt file for full details.
- An earlier version of the above mod. I am again boggled by the double inclusion. Sure it's nice, but isn't once enough?

Close Quarters v1.2 - An early combat map made to be played first by every one at 1bigcommunitys civ forums. - This map is an eight-pointed island, all stemming from a central node intended as a strategy mulitplayer map.

Dinobarbs - A conquest map with brutal dino barbarians, doubled production and beginning in the middle ages - Intended for four players, this makes use of the dinosaur graphics included in the accompanying folder. It contains four cities at four points on an large pangaea-type map.

Double Your Pleasure - Double Your Pleasure adds 45 Improvements, 51 Wonders, 94 Techs, 64 Units, 20 Resources, 7 Government Types, and countless rule changes. See the DypReadme.txt in the Double Your Pleasure folder for more info. And check out the Double Your Pleasure website at http://civ3.bernskov.com for Updates, Add-ons and Strategy Tips. PLEASE NOTE: This version of the mod had most graphics removed - to get the graphics, please find the mod patch at www.civ3.com or civ3.bernskov.com. - That pretty much explains it all, other than the fact that there is no accompanying map, and this mod is obviously intended for random play.

Early Combat - n/a - No comments were included with this map, and it's almost fitting for me to follow in the unnamed author's footsteps, but this map is a simplistic strategy map composed of interlaced islands.

Earth_(Standard)_Matt - Oh What a Wonderful World! - Intended for 11 civs, I tend to concur with the author's statement- this is a wonderful standard Earth map which includes a lot of the smaller islands overlooked by other maps.

Europe - n/a - No comments by the author for this decent Europe Map. It includes a small spit of the North African coast of modern-day Tunisia and Algeria, and a rump of Turkey out to Anatolia. It's not bad, but overall I prefer Norm's Europe map.

European Terrain - This mod uses all default settings, but uses the European Terrain set. - Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to see exactly what that terrain includes other than loading the map. Perhaps the author will be along to provide pics or explanations.

Future Era Start - n/a - No map, and the only discernable difference is that the starting era is listed as "Future Era". I assume this is there to start the game with all the techs.

Gameboard-120x106 - n/a - A huge checkerboard of chained together islands providing a myriad wealth of city locales and strategic strongpoints.

Gandagoosta Harbor - The 16 Provinces of the Natural Harbor of Gandagoosta are un-unitable. One must be victorious in its bid for Domination of the Harbor. UN Victory and Space Race Victory are impossible but the culture these wonders produce has been strengthened and so it still pays off to build them. This World is not supposed to be round but unfortunantly - this option did not exist in the Map Makers - So treat it so... and Ive done some preparation for this myself. The Rivers in this Map represent streams and small rivers that flow into the Gandagoosta Harbor. - However, someone did think to uncheck the X-axis wrap in this version. Otherwise this map is a nicely-designed but ultimately impersonal random start map with all default settings other than the map. And what the hell is with the silly name?

Industrial Spawl - n/a - I don't see *ANY* changes made to this map. *shrugs*

Industrial Start - This scenario begins all players in the Industrial era. The number of players has been set to 16, though this number is not recommended for all maps. Recommended players per map size are: 4 for Tiny, 6 for Small, 8 for Standard, 10 for Large, and 12 for Huge. Closing these extra slots will permit players to restrict the number of civilizations, though it is not mandatory. Enjoy! - Not much more to say...

Island Hop - This small map multiplayer scenario is focused on conquest over research (adjust your tax allocation accordingly) and air/naval confrontations. All players start with substantial modern era forces and empires developed enough to support them. Hunt down and eliminate your opponents, utilizing the barely sustainable micro islands for airfields and outposts. - Yup. Four sets of three islands, all with developed cities and small modern forces on them; that's pretty much it.

Japan (Huge) - n/a - A huge, detailed map of Japan. Didn't the official website have something about "this map will be perfect with the upcoming PTW Japanese unit set!"? Oh well. No unit sets, but still a nice map.

Kal-Els Clean 180x180 Earth v2.0 - n/a - A competent Earth map.

Kal-Els Earth 180x180 v1.6 - Based on the Original map by Zach Wilson, I have attempted to create a map that is both geographically accurate and playable. This goal has required some compromises. Most Notably the Land to Water Ratio has been skewed in favor of more land. I hope you enjoy playing on it as much as I enjoyed designing it. If you have any suggestions you can contact me at dickjensen@hotmail.com or through civfanatics.com. This map was created by me, Kal-El, June 2002. - A slightly less competent Earth map . Again, the double-inclusion.

Long Distance Relationship - A basic map made to be played first by every one at 1bigcommunitys civ forums. - This map has no appreciatable difference from the Close Combat map. Another eight-pointed strategy map.

Lord Nelson - You have been chosen by your people to build an empire ,to stand the test of time. - Another Earth map, this one is a lot more realistic of a Mercator projection, however, that sacrifices many of the adjustments made by other map-makers which were added to enhance gameplay, such as Lord Nelson having much larger oceans, and a more pronounced y-axis distortion.

Lush Cities - n/a - The only thing this changes is the city art work, and in that it only adds a few trees. Ultimately disposable in my opinion.

Marla Singer's World Map - Based on Miller's cylindrical projection of the earth.- Perhaps the best Earth map interpretation out there, many of you already own this I'm sure.

Mediterranean Small by Truelight - Uses the Ancient Mediterranean MOD rules. 15 Civs selectable. Map by Truelight. Seems to be a conversion of the CIV2 Mediterranean map. Adaption to this MOD by Thamis. Runs from 8.000 BC to 600 AD. PLEASE NOTE: This version of the mod has had most graphics removed - if you want to add in the graphics and unit animations, etc, please check out www.civ3.com for the Ancient Mediterranean mod patch. - This ties into the Ancient Meditteranean map/mod above.

Mid Island - Mid island is a map where everyone can trade and kill. The middle island has a few presents for you if you can find it. - Can anyone tell me why the hell this was included?

Middle Ages Start - This scenario begins all players in the Middle Ages era. The number of players has been set to 16, though this number is not recommended for all maps. Recommended players per map size are: 4 for Tiny, 6 for Small, 8 for Standard, 10 for Large, and 12 for Huge. Closing these extra slots will permit players to restrict the number of civilizations, though it is not mandatory. Enjoy! - Not much to say here.

Modern Start - This scenario begins all players in the Modern era. Due to the costs of Modern Era Advances and Units, the Accelerated Production rule is recommended. The number of players has been set to 16, though this number is not recommended for all maps. Recommended players per map size are: 4 for Tiny, 6 for Small, 8 for Standard, 10 for Large, and 12 for Huge. Closing these extra slots will permit players to restrict the number of civilizations, though it is not mandatory. Enjoy! - See above.

Plenty - You start out on one of the small islands that can't support you for long, so you got to race for the resource rich mainland. Domination victory is off. Islands are not exactly identical, but very similar; actually, I didn't suppose them to be identical. - Another strategy map.

Quad Damage - No boats are allowed so you are forced to send your troops thourh the narrow land-bridge at the centre - Four huge blocks of land predominate this strategy map.

Quaysan by Mizaq (Rev.) - . A map for empire builders. Extra-large (210x230), capable of supporting 16 players all with balanced starting positions. Send suggestions or comments to mizaq@u.washington.edu or ICQ#20372439.**Only some basic rules were changed: made this extra-large map use 210-230 instead of the default (160x160?); See readme that is included with the zip file for more suggested rules changes for this map. - A visually compelling fantasy map.

Raan by Mizaq - 11 player 130x130 map. Default rules, random barbarians. Contact me at mizaq@u.washington.edu with comments or suggestions. (map is pronounced "ron") - As above, but Quaysan is much more interesting.

Sean Morgan's Great Lakes - n/a - A map of the immediate vicinity of the American Great Lakes.

SGB7 - Naval Hex 140x140 - The general design concept of the Strategic Game Board Series is to encourage new game strategies through use of map geometry, not through mods or rule changes. In this case, we've got a naval map with a central sea based on the Mediterranean (as a geometric, not historical, model). - Another strategy map, this one will involve a good amount of sea combat due to it's design.

Sn00pys Terrain - This scenario changes the map graphics to be more detailed and easier to identify. The rules have not been changed. I'd like to thank Apolyton.com and CivFanatics.com for always trying extra hard to hold my work on their servers. I'd also like to thank Kai Fiebach from Civ3.de who helped me to arrange my work and bring it to PTW. Daniel (aka Sn00py, Icedan) Knowles - Sn00py's full package of terrain grpahic adjustments and enhancements. *Very* blue water. I really happen to like the mountains.

Sn00pys TerrainG - This scenario changes the map graphics to be more detailed and easier to identify. The rules have not been changed. I'd like to thank Apolyton.com and CivFanatics.com for always trying extra hard to hold my work on their servers. I'd also like to thank Kai Fiebach from Civ3.de who helped me to arrange my work and bring it to PTW. Daniel (aka Sn00py, Icedan) Knowles - Apparently, this is the "greener" version of the above.

Sn00pys TerrainX - This scenario changes the map graphics to be more detailed and easier to identify. The rules have not been changed. Daniel (aka Sn00py, Icedan) Knowles Editor's note: Sn00py is a real artist and he creates incredible artwork for Civ3. This is a personal "best of" collection from his graphic sets V1.0 to V4.1, differences to 4.1: "square" irrigation (1.0), "embedded" rivers (1.0), "moved" water (2.0) Kai "ColdFever" Fiebach, civ3.de- Nothing to add here, folks.

Stiansworld - Stians scenario - An interesting intepretation on the Earth map, this is clearly designed with gameplay in mind, and does not give equal-precedence to the true dimensions of the continents.

Strategic Conquest (Small) - This map is design to be played with 6-12 civilizations, with support for 16. Resources are clustered and some continents have near-monopolies on certain resources (strategic and luxury). This will make for some interesting trade or conquest games. This map has something for every type of player from the diplomat/trader, to the conquerer, to the cultural expansionist. Each of the three continents (and various islands) has advantages and disadvantages. Default Victory and Game Rules are in effect. The natives are restless! Enjoy! (By: David Cole) - Not much to add here.

TETurkhan Test of Time (Cities) - Up to 31 Civilizations. Over 250 cities placed in their historic locations, that experience both population size and growth, identical to what they did in history. 74 New Units. Extensive Terrain, Resource & unit modifications complimented with a Civilopedia that is 100% up to date on all changes. Anywhere from 2 - 22 cities per Civ, definately not equal, but this Mod isn't about being fair, choose your Civ according to your ability. Note, that China & India are very powerful while Europe is a battlefield. Slower PCs play the Regicide Version (highly recom.) or select less Civs. - This is another *huge* selection of changes, some artistic, some rules determinations.

TETurkhan Test of Time (Regular) - Up to 31 Civilizations. 74 New Units. Extensive Unit, Terrain & Resource modifications. Civilopedia that is 100% up to date with all the changes. Everyone is equal at the start, just like a regular game. Slower PCs play the Regicide Version (highly recommended) or choose less Civs. - As above, but this map is without the placed units and cities, and acts as a regular game-start.

TETurkhan Test of Time (Start Positions Only) - It is the dawn of time… You have risen to prominence, becoming leader of your clan. You have few allies, but many enemies, and worse, hordes of Barbarians waiting for an opportunity to crush your puny Civilization… With only one city, your Civilization's chances of survival are slim - only a True Great Leader will survive against such odds… Rule wisely and you may live to see a time when your people & culture rise to dominance… Act foolishly and you will never last the Test of Time... - As above; I can't distinguish the difference between Regular and Start Positions Only.

TETurkhan Test of Time (With Cities) - It is the dawn of time… Mankind after thousands of years abandons their nomadic lifestyle and starts to congregate, pooling their efforts, forming communities, villages, towns and eventually magnificent cities. These cities are full of culture, bustling with trade and adorned with great monuments. You have risen to prominence, becoming leader of your clan. Yours however is but a fledgling Empire, with limited resources, few allies and many enemies. Only the strongest will survive. Rule wisely and you will be victorious, act foolishly and you will never last the test of time... - I believe this is the same as "Cities".

TETurkhan - It is the dawn of time… Mankind after thousands of years abandons their nomadic lifestyle and starts to congregate, pooling their efforts, forming communities, villages, towns and eventually magnificent cities. These cities are full of culture, bustling with trade and adorned with great monuments. You have risen to prominence, becoming leader of your clan. Yours however is but a fledgling Empire, with limited resources, few allies and many enemies. Only the strongest will survive. Rule wisely and you will be victorious, act foolishly and you will never last the test of time... - Again, I have no idea why so many copies/versions of nearly identical scenarios were included.
Old November 16, 2002, 13:37   #2
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Thebay - 1 big island with a bay, 4 smaller islands, and some very small filler islands. I tried to make the resources relatively abundant. The barbarian activity is set to restless. There are also leftover infrascruture of older civilizations. - A fairly boring map, indeed.

Tower of Babel- Your mission is to build the pillar of civilization. You will only have one island big enough for one city. Settlers have been disabled so you will only be able to have the one city and the same goes for the other civilizations. There are no barbarians. - 16 square islands in an empty sea. See below.

Traders Delight - Everyone has their own island with resources only found there. In order to gain power you must trade and conquer. - Eight square islands in an empty sea. Fascinating.

Traped [sic] - Tiny World: No room to rome[sic]! - *yaaawwn*

Valley of Death - n/a - A long, hot-dog-like island with grasslands in place of mutilated pork intestine.

Warlust - Six island nations divided into two groups that can't communicate until Navigation is discovered. All nations have ample resources and there are no bad starting positions. This scenario is designed for those players who love a good war game. All techs are easily researched by mid 1900s. Lots of time to put the best weaponry the game has to offer to good use. Recommended rules of engagement: Domination, Conquest, Civ-Specific Abilities,Culturally Linked Start(optional) - Another strategy map. - Again, not much to add.

Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain - This scenario changes the map graphics to a watercolor style. The rules have not been changed. I want to thank those terrain artists who came before me (snOOpy and Nick, in particular). I stood on the shoulders of giants. Enjoy! Brian Wade aka Warpstorm - Another set of graphic adjustments, this one features what I'm assuming is terrain modified by Photoshop's "Watercolor" filter.

Winter Terrain - This mod uses all default settings, but uses the Winter Terrain set. - This one supposedly uses "winter terrain", but I don't see it in the editor. *shrugs*

----------------------------------

Coming later: the Civ3Edit scenarios (as opposed to the Civ3XEdit ones- those made in the PTW editor
Old November 16, 2002, 14:01   #3
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Cian McGuire
Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain - This scenario changes the map graphics to a watercolor style. The rules have not been changed. I want to thank those terrain artists who came before me (snOOpy and Nick, in particular). I stood on the shoulders of giants. Enjoy! Brian Wade aka Warpstorm - Another set of graphic adjustments, this one features what I'm assuming is terrain modified by Photoshop's "Watercolor" filter.
Don't I wish it were that simple. I could have save myself at least a hundred hours.
Old November 16, 2002, 14:41   #4
Bamspeedy
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:08
The 'industrial sprawl' is the one that changes the city graphics. As you build railroads, some skyscrapers and stuff appear, so when the map is completely railroaded, the whole map looks like an urban sprawl of cities blending into each other (makes it hard to see terrain improvements, though). But it's supposed to resemble urban combat.

I just checked the 'industrial sprawl' folder and the railroads.pcx file is the only thing added.
Old November 16, 2002, 15:41   #5
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
Good job, I pasted it in a file for later reference.
Old November 16, 2002, 16:21   #6
Purple
Prince

Re: Explanation of the "Scenario" Folder
Quote:

Age of Bronze - Swiat bez zelaza. - I have no idea what that means. This is a map consisting of a giant "Fe" (the Periodic Table of Elements symbol for iron) crossed out in a circle. No iron. How quaint. It's for eight players with set starting places and no edited rules.
Swiat bez zelaza is Polish for "World without iron."
Old November 17, 2002, 02:14   #7
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Excellent, I'll edit these in to make them more accurate

Quote:
Don't I wish it were that simple. I could have save myself at least a hundred hours.
Sorry, but that's what it looked like

What process did you actually use?
Old November 17, 2002, 10:38   #8
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
What process did you actually use?
The problem with just applying a filter is that the edges of tiles have to blend smoothly into any adjacent tiles. Just aplying the watercolor filter (which would introduce a lot of black to the sceen incidentally) would be very obvious were one tile ends and the next starts.

For each base terrain tile set (these are the hard ones) I used a combination of at least 18 (I think) different filters and techniques (on ones with water I needed more) after spending about three hours or so of prep work per file. Then after the filters were done, I'd spend a lot of time hand correcting areas where the filters didn't work as well as I'd have liked. In addition, I would hand draw in various details. After all of this, I would spend time getting the palettes to be reasonably compatible between the various files.

For reference, is a screenshot run through the Photoshop watercolor filter with the closest settings I could figure out.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	watercolorfilter.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	29567  
Old November 17, 2002, 10:39   #9
WarpStorm
King

Here's more or less the same screenshot using my tile set.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mywatercolor.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	29568  
Old November 17, 2002, 12:16   #10
Cian McGuire
Warlord

That's interesting (and I hadn't thought of the tile blending), but the amount of black can be somewhat mitigated through careful adjustment of the settings (and perhaps a subtle use of the Variations technique).

And not to be facetious, I think the Photoshopped version above looks better than yours- due to the detail added through the black, and not through a lack of talent on your part. However, that still doesn't solve the blending issue .
Old November 18, 2002, 12:13   #11
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
And not to be facetious, I think the Photoshopped version above looks better than yours- due to the detail added through the black
You're kidding, right?

Warpstorm, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Your Watercolor terrain set is absolutely amazing. I love it; it's the only tile set I use now. Thank you for all your hardwork. I wish there was some way I could compensate you. Just awesome.

Maybe I'm a Warpstorm fanboy.
Old November 18, 2002, 13:42   #12
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:08
Warpstorm, even though I am using the default tile-set... I would like your watercolor set much more than the "plain-Photoshopped" one, too. Spending myself thousands of hours with Photoshop, I do know how much it takes to makes something that looks that perfect!
Old November 18, 2002, 19:44   #13
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
I think that some doubled scenario versions came from 1.04 patch.

Old version is from vanilla PtW (1.01f), and patch (1.04f) adds newer version, but doesn't delete the old one.
Old November 19, 2002, 03:16   #14
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Kraken, vondrack- dunno what to say, other than tastes differ, I suppose
Old November 19, 2002, 15:10   #15
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

I greatly appreciate this guide, Cian, but I have one complaint.
Quote:
Future Era Start - n/a - No map, and the only discernable difference is that the starting era is listed as "Future Era". I assume this is there to start the game with all the techs.
There's an awful lot of "I assume" in this "guide".
When you say things like "I assume..." does that mean you are just making it up without loading the mod or map, or that it's impossible to tell?

Thanks again for the writeup.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:45   #16
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Quote:
There's an awful lot of "I assume" in this "guide".
When you say things like "I assume..." does that mean you are just making it up without loading the mod or map, or that it's impossible to tell?
You're second conjecture is correct- there was no way to tell off-the-cuff what was changed. Looking back at the "Medieval Start", "Industrial Start", and "Modern Start", I believe it's a safe conclusion.

All scenarios were loaded into the Editor and previewed.
Old November 20, 2002, 17:41   #17
WarpStorm
King

Looking in the editor can tell you exactly what is changed for each mod (with a bit of searching in some cases admittedly).

The quick way to get a feel is to check the master Scenario Property Page and (if it exists) the Player Properties Page. If there are custom rules (look for the check mark), then finding the exact changes can take a while)
Old November 20, 2002, 18:19   #18
Comrade Tribune
Prince

All this sounds like they simply dumped the Mods on the CD without bothering to playtest/properly document them.

Do some of you remember they promised TWELVE great scenarios would come with CIV3 THE ORIGINAL ? I DO remember, very clearly.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old November 20, 2002, 18:41   #19
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Quote:
All this sounds like they simply dumped the Mods on the CD without bothering to playtest/properly document them.
Pretty much. Hence, the reason for this thread. However, I'm sure an "official" FAQ would have to cut out the sarcasm which I lathered on- it was so difficult not to at points, especially the several that appeared to have been saved random maps.

Quote:
Looking in the editor can tell you exactly what is changed for each mod (with a bit of searching in some cases admittedly).

The quick way to get a feel is to check the master Scenario Property Page and (if it exists) the Player Properties Page. If there are custom rules (look for the check mark), then finding the exact changes can take a while)
Which is exactly what I did. However, not wanting to make a complete ass out of myself if I was wrong, I opted to use the "I believe..." strategem.
Old November 20, 2002, 18:42   #20
WarpStorm
King

Why should Firaxis try to change someone else's mod? If you had one of yours on the disk, would you want someone else to change it?
Old November 20, 2002, 18:55   #21
Robber Baron
Prince

I don't mean to threadjack here, but ever since getting PTW and trying out the different graphics mods, I've been looking for an opportunity to say, Warp', your stuff rocks! Thanks massively!

Okay, sorry, back to topic:
I too would have liked to see more original stuff from Firaxis. But I do appreciate having all the stuff people have done pre-loaded in one handy set of folders. We tech-challenged eventually work up the courage to download stuff, but hesitate to break into those program files. (Took me a month of seeing beautiful snOOpy screenshots before I hazarded those graphics. )
Old November 20, 2002, 21:02   #22
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Why should Firaxis try to change someone else's mod? If you had one of yours on the disk, would you want someone else to change it?
They needn´t change the Mod to testplay it. Or to add a Readme that gives a complete description.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:39   #23
WarpStorm
King

The readmes are whatever the original author (or authors) wrote. Again why should Firaxis change what the original author wanted?

All of the the mods were test played. I personally tried most of them to see if they worked. Many are just maps, some IMHO interesting, some IMHO not.

At the last minute, Infogrames ripped the artwork out of a bunch of the scenarios because of suspected copyright issues in the artwork.
Old November 21, 2002, 03:22   #24
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

so does PtW offer true scenario support now? I'm not talking about a mod and a new map, I'm talking Captain Nemo's East Front scenario type games. Is it possible to drop units on the map, create cities, add city improvements, does it have an events editor, etc?
Old November 21, 2002, 09:57   #25
Cian McGuire
Warlord

Warpstorm:

Quote:
The readmes are whatever the original author (or authors) wrote. Again why should Firaxis change what the original author wanted?
To better facilitate the presentation of their (Firaxis') product. All of these scenarios and mods are exclusively owned by Firaxis and Infogrames- at least according to my interpretation of the EULA. Therefore, the least they could have done when compiling this set of mods and maps was to make them *presentable*- even if all that meant was adding a short blurb in the scenario readme.

H Tower:

Quote:
so does PtW offer true scenario support now? I'm not talking about a mod and a new map, I'm talking Captain Nemo's East Front scenario type games. Is it possible to drop units on the map, create cities, add city improvements, does it have an events editor, etc?
Placing units and cities; adding improvements, civs, etc; and setting time limits are now all possible (in addition to the halting of x-axis wraparound), however, an events editor has not been included yet. Which is a shame- that's really the last key item needed to make truly great scenarios.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:29   #26
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:

You're second conjecture is correct- there was no way to tell off-the-cuff what was changed. Looking back at the "Medieval Start", "Industrial Start", and "Modern Start", I believe it's a safe conclusion.

All scenarios were loaded into the Editor and previewed.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't totally sure which way to lean.

This is a good thread, thanks for taking the time to look at and write about each mod.