Old November 18, 2002, 23:05   #31
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by LordCanar
Funny how everyone seems to be sayin don't screw over infograms, just buy two cd's, when its infograms who's screwed us over with this piece of crap bundel of bugs that they call a game, and that we had to pay for twice.
If you aren't happy with the game, return it, quit spamming.
Old November 18, 2002, 23:46   #32
LordCanar
Settler

Local Time: 11:08
I'll spam as much as I please, infograms deserves all the spam in the world. I'll shut up when they release a patch that fixes the many bugs this game is infested with. It's unexcusable, plain and simple.
Old November 19, 2002, 01:02   #33
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
infograms deserves all the spam in the world.
You're not burdening IG with spam, you're burdening us with spam. If you want to spam IG, e-mail them or something.
Old November 19, 2002, 01:35   #34
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
I'll spam as much as I please, infograms deserves all the spam in the world. I'll shut up when they release a patch that fixes the many bugs this game is infested with. It's unexcusable, plain and simple.
Your immaturity is inexcusable.

Spamming this website isn't going to get you a patch faster.

Newsflash Einstein: They were working on a patch long before you registered here.
Old November 19, 2002, 01:52   #35
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:08
saberwolf, USA laws do not apply to you.
Old November 19, 2002, 01:54   #36
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
That fine, but you are not spamming them, you are spamming us and we did not create it.
Old November 19, 2002, 02:00   #37
LordCanar
Settler

Uhhhhhh Newsflash, I am perfectly awair of who is working on what, they rushed the game through beta, were aware of the problems using port 80 would cause, they were aware of the lag the large packets caused. I mean come on, a 2d game that lags on cable and dsl, WTF!! They released a game long before it should have been, I paid for a game that I really really want, but can't play reliably until they finish it!! Instead of acting like sheep and defending the company who has made so many gamers miserable the last two weeks, you should stop jumping on people who went through one post, you people are pathetic!
Old November 19, 2002, 02:04   #38
LordCanar
Settler

P.S. I have been visiting this site sence Civ II Multi Gold for mods and such, never needed to register cause i never had a need to consult other players about what I thought was a sys problem. Come to find out there are 100's of posts from people all havin the same problems!! Just because ur a forum junkie doesn't make u an expert on game gossip.
Old November 19, 2002, 02:09   #39
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
Uhhhhhh Newsflash, I am perfectly awair of who is working on what, they rushed the game through beta, were aware of the problems using port 80 would cause, they were aware of the lag the large packets caused. I mean come on, a 2d game that lags on cable and dsl, WTF!! They released a game long before it should have been, I paid for a game that I really really want, but can't play reliably until they finish it!! Instead of acting like sheep and defending the company who has made so many gamers miserable the last two weeks, you should stop jumping on people who went through one post, you people are pathetic!
What do you want? They are working on the patch now. *****ing doesn't make them work any faster. Spamming this website doesn't make them work any faster.

Think rationally for a moment. They've already released one patch for PTW. They have acknowledged that they are working on another. what more is there to say? If you have a problem, ask and people will try to help you.
Old November 19, 2002, 02:11   #40
asleepathewheel
Emperor

Quote:
P.S. I have been visiting this site sence Civ II Multi Gold for mods and such, never needed to register cause i never had a need to consult other players about what I thought was a sys problem. Come to find out there are 100's of posts from people all havin the same problems!! Just because ur a forum junkie doesn't make u an expert on game gossip.
Who is an expert on game gossip. Read the thread at the top of the page about Morris

edit: this is my last post in this thread, I don't want to contribute any more to the spam.

Last edited by asleepathewheel; November 19, 2002 at 02:29.
Old November 19, 2002, 02:20   #41
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

This is a thread about CD protection.

We don't need your opinions on IG, Firaxis, PTW, or anything else except for CD protection.

So, kindly stop spamming the thread, we have no use for your complaints. Like vmxa1 and I said earlier, you aren't bothering IG, just us.
Old November 19, 2002, 04:41   #42
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
I'll spam as much as I please,
I don't think so

Keep it up and you will be restricted...
Old November 19, 2002, 07:12   #43
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:08
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
saberwolf, USA laws do not apply to you.
oh yes they do - as soon as i have anything to do with the US. which in case of buying CDs (allthough infogrames is french, firaxis is US-american) is the case.

but i wasn't really talking about myself. i stopped copying stuff when i started earning enough money.
Old November 19, 2002, 07:16   #44
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

lordcanar is right. the game IS buggy and probably was released to early. but otoh just a few days later a patch was out to fix the majority of the bugs. i havn't seen that service for software before.

now back on topic, or i'll get a trip to that aztec city in PTW
Old November 19, 2002, 08:23   #45
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 08:08
Two issues here. Piracy is illegal, we all agree (or we should) about this. I live in Brazil, and I bought a copy of PTW with the help of a friend in USA, the game will take too long to be here in my country, officially. I could buy a pirate copy, there's a lot of illegal CD's outside my door, but I don't want to do so. OTOH, this law is unfair, if prevent a simple domestic user to play the game with his gf/wife/bf/husband, whatever. I like the game so much, in fact is the only I play, but... Firaxis, we are honest people here (well, mostly ) and we love the game, don't be so greed!
Old November 19, 2002, 13:45   #46
vmxa1
Deity

Funny thing about this greed business is that nearly all of the software houses go belly up. How many are around fron 10 years ago or even 5 years.
Old November 19, 2002, 17:00   #47
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Funny thing about this greed business is that nearly all of the software houses go belly up. How many are around fron 10 years ago or even 5 years.
That is because they create one or a few innovative products, then proceed to lose their minds... kinda like Firaxis.
Old November 19, 2002, 18:51   #48
vmxa1
Deity

Yes they often are not god business people. It is not the dev house that are greedy, if any one is it the publishers.
Old November 19, 2002, 19:12   #49
sabrewolf
Emperor

exactly!

game programmers are paid a lot less than other software developers. and only the very best games sell well enough to earn a lot of money.

it's a very hard business.
afaik programmers for video game consoles (PS2, XBOX, SDC, etc.) have an even tougher job.
Old November 19, 2002, 19:38   #50
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:08
I live on a dirt road.

Because I live on a dirt road, far removed from Civilization, I have no broadband access. No DSL. No cable. Just crappy 56k dial-up that only manages to connect at 26k (on a good day).

I will NOT be playing Civ3: PTW via the internet.

However, my wife enjoys playing, and we would like to play head-to-head via LAN.

I should NOT have to buy a separate copy of the game to do this. I've already bought the stupid game twice (Civ3 and then the PTW expansion).

In addition to the myriad of other bugs in the game, Firaxis should post a patch that allows for LAN play with only one copy of the CD present on the network.
Old November 19, 2002, 22:37   #51
vmxa1
Deity

Yup you have bought both and as soon as anyone you wish to play with does the same you are good to go. Anyway why does your choice of where to live have anything to do with it, unless you did not choose to live there.
Old November 20, 2002, 10:26   #52
woody
Warlord

Quote:
Yup you have bought both and as soon as anyone you wish to play with does the same you are good to go.
Games like Command & Conquer included 2 CDs, so you could play with a friend head-to-head without buying 2 copies of the game. That was a good idea. Perhaps PtW should go something similar, since people who bought it essentially have been ripped-off by having to pay for Civ3 twice.

Then again, Firaxis can't even get multiplayer to work properly, so they shouldn't have to care about how many copies someone needs to buy to play it. They can't play it anyway!

Quote:
Anyway why does your choice of where to live have anything to do with it, unless you did not choose to live there.
Because 90% of the country still doesn't have broadband access.
Old November 20, 2002, 13:07   #53
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:08
If I go out and buy a board game like "Monopoly," I can play with as many friends/family members as I want, and I don't have to purchase additional copies of the game.

It wouldn't be that difficult to code the multiplayer version of the game so that local games on a non-routed LAN would require only one PC with the CD in it.

I remember playing Age of Empires on the LAN, and only one PC needed the CD. PTW should be the same way.
Old November 20, 2002, 14:17   #54
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I think the biggest question with copy protection has been the change from CIV3 (safedisk) to PtW (secUrom). CIV3 worked for most people or they have got work-arounds by now. Unfortunately, PtW is more buggy (at least for me and a some others who have posted here).

FNB -check your PM's
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 20, 2002, 14:34   #55
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
If I go out and buy a board game like "Monopoly," I can play with as many friends/family members as I want, and I don't have to purchase additional copies of the game.

It wouldn't be that difficult to code the multiplayer version of the game so that local games on a non-routed LAN would require only one PC with the CD in it.

I remember playing Age of Empires on the LAN, and only one PC needed the CD. PTW should be the same way.
If I have a bus I can have many people ride with me, if I have a moped I can't, what does any of it have to do with software? I missed the analogy.
Several games have done things that made it easy to MP, that is there choice. I bought Stars and it came with two disk so you could play with friends, but they did not have to do that.
If you rent a car you are not allowed to let others drive it unless you pay for the right to do so.
Old November 20, 2002, 18:36   #56
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Edited by Ming...

Yes, what you posted is illegal. I won't argue the moral values with you.

Again... Apolyton does not condone the illegal use of gaming software or allow discussion that would help other people use it illegally...

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by Ming; November 21, 2002 at 02:18.
Old November 20, 2002, 18:47   #57
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
It isn't a matter of difficulty. Infogrames told Firaxis what type of copy protection they required and Firaxis had to comply.
Old November 20, 2002, 20:19   #58
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
Careful cronos ... I think you might just get "Mingified" for your last post...
Old November 20, 2002, 22:35   #59
battists
Settler

Well, I should have known better than to start this firestorm. It *is* an interesting argument, that's for sure. Perhaps a better analogy would music CDs. If I buy a music CD, I can make copies for use in other CD players in my household. I can even listen to them with my family. And it's my understanding that the music industry is OK with that, as long as I don't "redistribute" those copies.

I suppose it's semantics, whether my wife using it is "redistribution" or not.

At any rate, my question in the first place wasn't so much about what is morally or legally right. I just wanted to find out the Firaxis/Infogrames party line, so I could follow that. Baa baa.

Oh, and incidentally, don't believe for a second that software piracy is the primary cause of the folding of software houses. Just like the dot-coms. Ya gotta have a solid business case before going into business, and they knew about piracy before they even started...
Old November 20, 2002, 23:02   #60
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:08
So the question still remains battists ... have you performed your LAN game with 1 CD? It should work. Any luck?