Old November 16, 2002, 19:31   #1
Doomz02
Settler

Local Time: 11:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Artillary Bombardment an Utter Failure!
Look, I realize in the real world that artillary bombardment is a useful tool because of mass, quick, safe attacks and is particularly failure-free. I mean with the technology available in PTW with radar artillary, battleships, stealth bombers, etc, this should be absolutely no problem in dealing with an ancient civilization like Russia. In my game the Russian's best unit is the midevil infantry. Now common. What chance does that have to survive a precision strike of a stealth bomber? Utterly impossible if you ask me.

So does anyone have a fix for this?
Old November 16, 2002, 19:51   #2
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:09
There are threads on this subject on the general forum, you might want to take a look there, Or try the strategy page,I think you can alter this in the editor and set to lethal bombardment but Im not sure. There are many here who will be able to advise you.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 16, 2002, 23:50   #3
Raion
Prince

Well, as far as I know, in at least CivIII, one can set bombard strength, and number of turns in the editor, and if it is lethal bombardment by a checkbox.

PTW uses a slightly more advanced editor and a *.bix file which one can import the *.bic file from CivIII, if one wanted a modded one one used before for the new PTW, but still both are separate as games.
Old November 17, 2002, 00:12   #4
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:09
Well, for one thing Civ3 Precision Strike does no damage to units at all. The other thing to look at is the bombard strength of the units. Firaxis has these set at a fairly low number, especially for air units. In addition, you cannot kill a unit from bombardment at all, unless you change some flags in the editor. Bombardment is non-lethal.
Old November 17, 2002, 00:40   #5
Doomz02
Settler

Why not? YOu'd think if youd get hit with a shell you'd be obbliterrated.
Old November 17, 2002, 10:45   #6
WarpStorm
King

You can change it in the editor if you want it to work that way.

The reason Firaxis did that is because of the cheesey tactics people used in Civ2. In Civ2 you could destroy the entire world with a stack of arty or aircraft. It was an extremely easy win technique. They decided that you'd actually need ground troops to kill the units. This more or less forces a minor amount of combined arms techniques on you.
Old November 17, 2002, 13:16   #7
Doomz02
Settler

Can you also change the air units in the editor so that you can move them freehand like you used to in Civ2?
Old November 17, 2002, 14:17   #8
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Doomz02
Can you also change the air units in the editor so that you can move them freehand like you used to in Civ2?
Yes, but they then can go anywhere (no fuel restricition). I haven't tested enough to see if the AI really knows what to do with these it you change them.
Old November 17, 2002, 14:28   #9
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

ahhhhhhh! the purple tantacle guy!!!!!! zoooooooom...........

Anyway, another thing, it is realisticly possible for bombarment to miss a few remaining survivors of troops

large gathering of troops, easy to bombarb..... but less so if there a few of them.

Anyway, i put lethal bombarment for my game.

-Mellian
Old November 17, 2002, 14:33   #10
Doomz02
Settler

Yup, me too. Another point is, if there's a few remaining soldiers, it's not technically an army anymore, or a unit.
Old November 17, 2002, 15:40   #11
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:09
Quote:
Originally posted by Doomz02
Yup, me too. Another point is, if there's a few remaining soldiers, it's not technically an army anymore, or a unit.
Sometimes all you need to do is disable a few critical people and a unit becomes a mob, and sometimes all it takes is a few critical people to be VERY effective. Comes Out in the Wash (COW).

Units are not all concentrated into a few hundred square yards in modern warfare (and one bombardment does not represent one sortie). City Improvements do not represent a single structure; instead it's a whole INFRAstructure.

Don't try to match Civ with reality, you would be Doomed to failure. It's a game, abstracting into the strategic level (not tactical).
Old November 17, 2002, 17:21   #12
Doomz02
Settler

LOL Yea I figured that.