Old November 16, 2002, 19:47   #1
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 11:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Which is the best team?
Here's the situation:

A coworker bought me PTW so we could play interhuman wars at work afterhours, and I got hooked and found this website, who'd have thought there was so much user-created stuff available?

Anyway, this Democracy thing sounds like just the thing for me to improve my competition skills so I can beat his egotistical carcass into the ground (he's been doing better than I have).

The question is which team do I join? I, being a Progressive insurance customer, have come to expect more from my websites and have submitted this thread so that each team can present the case on why they are the better team and why I should join them.

Hopefully, other newcomers can read this thread and the arguments presented and make informed decisions on which team to join also.

Okay, sell me on your team.
Old November 16, 2002, 19:52   #2
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:09
Depends wholly on your overall strategy you like to take.

If you prefer war to peace and building, then I suggest the Glory of War. They advocate a very strong civ whose purpose is purely to destroy all AI and human players. Sound right Ghengis?

If you prefer a more moderate approach, like a well rounded military and industrial base, then I would suggest either Lux Invictica or Gathering Storm.

If you are a builder at heart and love seeing your cities grow into great trade and industrial centers with a more conservative and defensive military to protect them, then I would suggest the LegoLand team.

If you love to fantasize and roleplay, then the RolePlay team is for you.

All the teams have very accomplished and experienced members, and every team will probably be beneficial to learning the ropes of a multiplayer game. Honestly I must say I find the teams generally pretty equal in skill and ability, so it's all up to you!

/edited in italics to please Ghengis in giving his team a little more info on my description of them

Last edited by Meshelic; November 16, 2002 at 22:12.
Old November 16, 2002, 20:08   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:09
Well, to balance things out abit, it would be nice to see at least one capable person in the 'LUX' team.

serious: I think the builders have only 8 members so far, so, my guess is, they could use a little help. This game is gonna take awhile.
Old November 16, 2002, 21:21   #4
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:09
I think the last two posters have missed the point (or maybe I have). I think the idea of a thread where each team provides a presentation of their selling points is a good one.

I will work on a presentation of the Glory of War (since Meshelic so obviously dis'ed us by making sure we were the ONLY team he did not mention).

{GF makes note to move Meshelic's team one notch higher on his "to kill" list}
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gow crown.gif
Views:	62
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	29651  

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; November 18, 2002 at 20:53.
Old November 16, 2002, 22:08   #5
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I didn't mention the Glory of War team? Did you not read my post at all?? I don't think you did! That's more of a diss to me than if I hadn't mentioned your team, which in fact I DID by the way.

OH the fun we have here!

I'll accept your apology anytime Ghengis.
Old November 16, 2002, 22:21   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Meshelic
I didn't mention the Glory of War team? Did you not read my post at all?? I don't think you did! That's more of a diss to me than if I hadn't mentioned your team, which in fact I DID by the way.

OH the fun we have here!

I'll accept your apology anytime Ghengis.
It's in there NOW, but I didn't see it in there originally, if I missed it because it was written in invisible ink then I apologize.
Old November 16, 2002, 22:35   #7
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Why to join the Roleplay Team?

We're the only civ team that's dedicated to actually playing out our history from the stoneage to the modern age. We are modeling our society and government in the most historical fashion possible, while still maintaining enough game "Out of Character" elements to make this playable and fun for everyone.

We are a collection of fun-loving people who adore history and civilization. We're imaginative and colorful. Our government and rules will change as history around us changes. Members of our team all get to actively take part in history as opposed to just playing a strategy computer game.

We have a large team and we welcome anyone and everyone who wants to join us for a fun romp through history. We aren't set on any particular strategy or ideology.

Which team is best? In the end, each person should pick the team that best suits his interests. If you like the sound of our team, post a message in our tread or just PM me and I'll be sure to answer any questions you might have.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 18, 2002, 10:34   #8
DrFell
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 12:09
The best team is the warmonger team because warmongering is the best civ3 strategy
Old November 18, 2002, 18:40   #9
Meshelic
King

Togas you almost got ME to join the Roleplay team! Really i'm just joking (the GS is gonna shoot me!)
Old November 18, 2002, 19:17   #10
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Quote:
Togas you almost got ME to join the Roleplay team! Really i'm just joking (the GS is gonna shoot me!)
Oh, we are having so much fun over there.
Why don't you take the GS bullets? It's worth it!

Well, I think we will fantasize and play roles until
our brains pops out. Dices are rolling all day long.
I like it, but now the Rolemaster of the Realm is angry at me...
Old November 18, 2002, 19:25   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Here's another icon if a new team wants one.
Attached Images:

Old November 18, 2002, 19:38   #12
ThePlagueRat
King

Oh, I want that one! Can I make an own team?
Old November 18, 2002, 20:33   #13
Meshelic
King

I"m sure you can make your own team PlagueRat. You could conceivably call it "the Plague"....
Old November 18, 2002, 22:14   #14
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

GF, again some cool art, why isn't that a surprise coming from you?

DeepO
Old November 18, 2002, 22:25   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
Oh, I want that one! Can I make an own team?
When you get enough posts you can use this as a custom avatar (if you want).
Attached Images:

Old November 18, 2002, 22:40   #16
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 06:09
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

When you get enough posts you can use this as a custom avatar (if you want).
now THAT's a SWEET avatar!

Old November 19, 2002, 03:16   #17
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Why join the Legoland team ?

We the Legoland are oriented towards building our infrastructure and make our cities grow. We sure prefer peace as it profits to all teams, but will be ready for war when the need arises.
Our team is here to show builder strategies can work in a multiplayer game, and is the only one to do so. We have fun in our forum, creating a theme oriented to construction games (Lego, Mechano, Construx etc.). Come in our thread to discuss things more deeply
Old November 19, 2002, 05:17   #18
Meshelic
King

On topic of Ghengis's skull avatar: IT'S MINE ALL MINE! HAHAHA! YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!!!

really, that's a sweet avatar. make me one Ghengis!
Old November 19, 2002, 06:22   #19
Meshelic
King

Meshelic comments on above:

"Now that's a big avatar!"
Old November 19, 2002, 08:33   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
On topic of Ghengis's skull avatar: IT'S MINE ALL MINE! HAHAHA! YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!!!!

really, that's a sweet avatar. make me one Ghengis!
What do you want?
Old November 19, 2002, 14:18   #21
Thrumble
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEM
Prince

I must say at present that I am leaning towards the Roleplay team.

My current, and quite possible inaccurate assesment of the teams:
Lux Invicta
Appears to have started for the sole reason that they worship some deity known as "Trip". Have no agenda, goals, or motivation other than the worship of this "Trip". Don't think this would be a very enjoyable team to join unless you are "Trip".

Glory of War
Everyone refers to them as warmongers but I haven't seen or heard anything warlike from them. Appear to be conformists with a psychological need for acceptance from their mothers. However, all of the graphic talent appears to have accumulated into this team.

Roleplay
Have no goals or agenda, however unlike Lux Invicta they do not worship a fictious Diety. Their primary purpose appears to be fun and entertainment.

Gathering Storm
Their own goal/agenda is to kick the but of "Trip". That's it. They also appear to be very snootish and are all ready rumored to be turning aside prospective members that do no meet "the cut".

Legoland
Not sure if they are playing the Civ3PTW Democracy game as all they talk about is Legos. They may simply be a small daycare group that got lost on the vast worldwide web.

That's it, I don't see any other teams out there, but who knows maybe there will be whole eight before Dec 1.
Old November 19, 2002, 15:08   #22
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thrumble
Gathering Storm
Their own goal/agenda is to kick the but of "Trip". That's it. They also appear to be very snootish and are all ready rumored to be turning aside prospective members that do no meet "the cut".
Ouch... that hurts, Thrumble. First of all, I don't consider us snootish at all, even if I can't assess how other see us. It is not our intention at all, even if we got that name because the team have invited a few of the Civ-strategy thread regulars to join. Our main raison d'état is having fun amongst friends, second one learning how to play a MP demogame. (and a small third trying to win, of course). As said before numerous times, the 'ringers' as others have started to call the newest additions to the group do not have any experience with demogames, or with MP, but are mightly interested in learning how to play. You can see this amongst others because so far none of us n00bies have applied for a significant position yet, the responsibility still lies in the hands of the first few members.

Of course we know the SP game, maybe even a little better then most other players (or at least we have written more about it), but this won't mean anything in the PTW demogame that is now starting. I find all this fuss rather worrying, it used to be fun to be called a ringer, now it is becoming a bad tag I don't want to bear.

As to accepting members: okay, maybe Flash should have gotten a better response, but it was said before that the membership for this group is closed for the moment (exceptions always possible, naturally, but with group debate and acceptance). We have grown to be the second biggest group, and believe me, smaller groups work smoother. It never was the intention of the old members that we would grow to 15 members, but as everybody who got a invitation joined, all of a sudden we were second-biggest. Now we work with it, and like it to, but not to the point where we want even more members... that becomes a company instead of a bunch of friends joined together.

As to our intentions in this game: Of course, Trashing Trips Ass was what we set out to do, but more as a fun goal to center us around... in our private forum I have yet to see the first post in which we really are the archenemies of Lux. Of course, things can change quickly in-game, but for the moment we are, a bit like Lux, a balanced team without specific war or builder preferences. It does seem that one of the main things we will try to accomplish is to be the most honorable team on the block (but more on that later), no backstabbing allowed.

It hurts that you have a whole other idea of our team, and I can only expect that this comes from some of the (friendly) rantings of the other teams, and a few things taken out of context. We really are a nice bunch

DeepO
Old November 19, 2002, 16:22   #23
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Local Time: 07:09
Quote:

Legoland
Not sure if they are playing the Civ3PTW Democracy game as all they talk about is Legos. They may simply be a small daycare group that got lost on the vast worldwide web.
Ouch. Hasn't even picked a team yet, but is already trash talking us. We'll remember that...
Old November 19, 2002, 16:30   #24
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I think he's been trash talking everyone
Old November 19, 2002, 17:11   #25
Meshelic
King

Snootish???

Man. You make it sound like we're French or something!

Turning down potential members? Sure, we have that right, but it is not a biased decision, it completely dependant on the already large number of members on the team and the desire to work more closely like a team rather than a mob of people.

I think DeepO's explanation hit the nail.
Old November 19, 2002, 17:13   #26
Meshelic
King

Well you've managed to offend two groups already Thrumble. I daresay the Glory of War team may be calling for your head sooner or later as well.
Old November 19, 2002, 17:44   #27
ThePlagueRat
King

Perhaps Thrumble will come and seek safety at the RP team?
(when the "axemen-team" comes around)

Perhaps the RP team got enough intrigues as it is?
Another intriguemaker could make my head fall off too.
Old November 19, 2002, 18:11   #28
Meshelic
King

I don't mean to sound 'snootish' (or French!)

but look at the member lists.

Roleplay team has 19 members and still growing
Gathering Storm has 15 members
Lux Invictica and Glory of War have 11 members
and Legoland has 8 members.

anyone see this as a bit unbalanced?

RPteam 19 = Legoland 8??
Old November 19, 2002, 18:18   #29
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
quite possible inaccurate assesment of the teams
you got that right buddy.

it was funny though

btw, I think the 'primary purpose' of every team is 'fun and entertainment', that isn't confined to the RPG'ers.
Nobody will continue to play this game if it is boring them rigid, they'd be a fool too. Hopefully we'll all have a great time (I think we will).
Old November 19, 2002, 18:24   #30
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DeepO
It never was the intention of the old members that we would grow to 15 members, but as everybody who got a invitation joined, all of a sudden we were second-biggest.
That's true. We were expecting a few of the people we invited to turn us down for various reasons, but they all accepted.
That's a double-edged sword.

We're very glad to have you, of course.

In case anyone is wondering, GS don't think we're going to win the game.
We don't seem very popular, although I fail to understand why. It seems likely at this stage that two or more human teams will team up against us and destroy us in the Ancient Age., either because they hate us or fear us.
That's completely within the rules and is a fair way to play. If that happens you won't hear us complaining.