Old November 17, 2002, 18:43   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Another really stupid idea from GF
Another really out of the blue idea I had.

What if we played a PTW Democracy game where there were 2 AI civs (say at Diety level) and all the rest were human civs.

Each player gets one city, that is the players city and the player sets its build queu and whatever. The first city for each civ is the capital of that civ and is under the control of the elected leader of that civ.

Sound normal? Here's the twist. Any player can switch civs at anytime if the new civ will have him. All military units, treasury, techs, are civ property and stay with the civs. There would be a "safe civ" where you stay between switching from one of the other 5 civs to another, but you can only stay in that "safe civ" for a specified period before you have to join the new civ that accepted you.

It would be a sorta Citystate Democracy game.

There's a lotta rules and guidelines that still need to be hashed out, but I thought I'd see if anyone finds it interesting.

I'm not 100% sure that your city improvements go with a city when you give it to another civ though, can someone enlighten me on that?
Old November 17, 2002, 19:02   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:11
Old November 18, 2002, 00:28   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:11
you cant trade units.
cultural building are destroyed (temples, libraries, etc)
no.
Old November 18, 2002, 00:31   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

No one can argue false advertising about this thread The title is exactly what you get

j/k your idea sounds....interesting....not sure it would work.

Old November 18, 2002, 01:37   #5
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It would be interesting to do this, just not THIS game
Old November 18, 2002, 08:41   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
you cant trade units.
cultural building are destroyed (temples, libraries, etc)
So to get around that we would have to make Wonders that offered them in every city which could be built by the civs capitols. Is it JUST cultural buildings? Are there some buildings that do transfer?

The idea is to have something similiar to medieval Europe where wars were fought by groups of lords not necessary one single all powerful warlord.

I also thought we could change the palace build cost to 1 and the original civ capitols would posesses the Forbidden Palace while the player elected to serve as King over each civ would move the palace to his city.

I had no intention of this replacing the game we're working on, I simply thought this might be an interesting experiment to play with.
Old November 18, 2002, 08:50   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

you mean like a massive OCC?

If it's that what you mean

that certainly has great potential , I was hoping for this for PTW
Old November 18, 2002, 09:43   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alva848
you mean like a massive OCC?

If it's that what you mean

that certainly has great potential , I was hoping for this for PTW
What is "OCC"?

Is there some tag that causes certain city improvements to not be transferrrable?
Old November 18, 2002, 09:56   #9
alva
Deity

One City Challenge

(game mode, whereby you have to play with only building one city. Great diplo execise
Old November 18, 2002, 10:45   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Here's kinda what I've been thinking so far:

One Neutral Civ
Who you align your city to when you're neutral. No Order is allowed to attack or declare war on the Neutral Civ or its cities.

Five Order Civs
These are Military/Political Orders. Each one has its own specific units, ie its own Knight, Swordsman, etc. When you align with this order you may immediately begin building units and you are in command of these units. However, in order to join the order, you must agree to the terms the order gives you and its rules. For example, the order may require your first two builds be a Knight and Swordsmen and those two units be given to the order. Of course, when you leave the order, all of your units would become the order's property.

This is going to take some Modding. The map can stay random, but the civs will have to be custom built/tweaked to support this. A LOT of wonders will need to introduced if they are allowed to survive city trade overs. I'm thinking Shrines and Temples that give special benefits. Like the Temple of Neptune which would give bonuses in water squares, etc.

And the civs themselves would have to have wonders giving the basic improvements (granary, temple, etc) to all their member states.

Heck, we could even make the Military Orders site oriented with the Knights of Apolyton and the CivFanatics.
Old November 18, 2002, 14:00   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Here's an update, not sure if anyone cares, but I'm going to make a Citystates mod with some new improvements:

Manor- does the same as a Granary, Marketplace, Temple (+2 Happy instead of +1), and Courthouse.

Castle- does the same as a Barracks, Temple, Couthouse, and Walls (75% bonus instead of 50%)

Chateau- does the same as a Marketplace, Temple, and Courthouse.

Villa- does the same as a Temple, Library, and Courthouse.

The Neutral civ will have a Wonder giving all its cities Manors, two Militant Orders will have Wonders giving all of their cities Castles, two Enlightened Orders will have Wonders giving all of their cities Villas, and one Noble Order will have a Wonder giving all of its cities Chateaus.

Will take Courthouse out as it won't be needed and may tweak some of the other early improvements somewhat.

Any ideas/suggstions?
Old November 18, 2002, 18:37   #12
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:11
you're right Ghengis this is a really stupid idea!

Seriously though I'm really just joking with you.

I like the idea alot, and your ideas for mod's are really fascinating, pretty simple too which makes the idea that much easier to understand.
Old November 18, 2002, 19:48   #13
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

The loss of cultural improvements and any other improvements (?) would simply be the cost one would have to consider when deciding to switch civs... that might not be so bad, making a disincentive to switch unless it's really worth it...
Old November 18, 2002, 19:55   #14
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 12:11
Why don't we do that now. And make citystates! And of course:
Give me my own city now, where I can be a horrifying Count,
known as Dracula...
Old November 19, 2002, 17:23   #15
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:11
I like 6 human, 2AI at diety, it makes the game more intersting and allows more teams. and the Manor,Chateau,and Villa.

Palace should cost 100, so as to prevent prebuilding.

"Safe civs" -no, a the game would become unbalanced too fast, and it would fun to have all 6 civs.

The victor should get the spoils, war should often be a worthwhile option civs should get tresuries, and buildings.

Trading units- how do you keep the humans from buying out the AI?

OCC-no, because many players have no idea on the strategy.
Old November 21, 2002, 07:20   #16
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

GF , have you play tested this , .....

have a nice day
Old November 21, 2002, 10:55   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
The loss of cultural improvements and any other improvements (?) would simply be the cost one would have to consider when deciding to switch civs... that might not be so bad, making a disincentive to switch unless it's really worth it...
it may be worth it if the civ being switched to has $$ rushing and is willing to recompensate you for your switch
Old November 22, 2002, 22:25   #18
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

I've been tinkering and think I'm leaning towards a different setting. More of a Caribbean Spanish Main where we play on a map with LOTS of islands and every one gets a free harbor. That way you can switch your islands allegience between French, English, Spanish, Dutch, or Pirates, etc.

Maybe even placing all the island cities on a predetermined map and having some sort of auction before the game starts so that everyone interested in playing gets to choose their island.

Then the AI civs could be the Aztecs, Incas, and Iroquois.
Old November 30, 2002, 23:53   #19
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Another update (if anybody even cares)

Am trying out the following new improvements:

Wharf - similiar to original Harbor but no prerequiste and no maintenance cost

Harbor - same as old harbor but adds +1 food AND +1 commerce

Shipyard - Requires Astronomy and adds +1 shield AND +1 commerce

Adding Timber as a strategic resource.

I'm leaning towards concentrating on the late Medieval early Industrial Era of the Colonial/Napoleonic time frame with each player being in charge of a colony/island.