Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 12:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Looks like the Admiral had a nice time fighting
(what else if no trade allowed?)
Old December 16, 2002, 01:24   #122
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
O frabjous day, caloo-calay!
I see great minds think alike, or is it depraved minds? 6 of one, half a dozen of the other…
Slump is liberated! My canal built!
The first nomad built Suez—where'd you pop the 1380 nomad??
Old December 16, 2002, 05:46   #123
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
La Fayette ... Yes the admiral is happy with an improved navy.

Stray ... The second nomad is sailing near the Aztec city built on a river. His first job could be to pre-work if an instant fort is required.

----------------------------

SG(2)
Old December 16, 2002, 08:55   #124
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 07:13
SG(2) - a most impressive list of accomplishments, and a very convincing strategic analysis.
Old December 16, 2002, 10:03   #125
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Local Time: 06:13
Quote:
The emphasis will be on science for the next few turns until Navigation is discovered, so allowing the conversion of the shields for Leo's into Magellan's Expedition. Extreme Xinning will be employed to achieve this goal.
Qu'est-ce que c'est "Extreme Xinning"? (I know who Xin Yu is, I'm aware of some of his strategic inroads into Civ2. But just what do you mean?)

It looks like we're on a bigtime war footing, with science virtaully eliminated. I have a feeling this map will look VERY different from the last one I saw.

D/L done and mailed to the Mac. Heavy holiday activity week, so it'll be a few days, even for just 10 turns. Heasay, innuendo, comments, and sugestions from the cheap seats always welcome.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 16, 2002, 10:48   #126
DaveV
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 07:13
Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit
Qu'est-ce que c'est "Extreme Xinning"? (I know who Xin Yu is, I'm aware of some of his strategic inroads into Civ2. But just what do you mean?)
See the Size 5 city thread. In a nutshell, alternate between five starving scientists and farmers who put an extra wheat sheaf back into the food box.
Quote:
D/L done and mailed to the Mac. Heavy holiday activity week, so it'll be a few days, even for just 10 turns. Heasay, innuendo, comments, and sugestions from the cheap seats always welcome.
We have enough firepower to clear the map now; I don't see much need for more research (although others will probably disagree). I think the best strategy is to knock all the AIs down to one (ideally, non-capital) city by AD 1750 (the cutoff date for respawning, IIRC); the ruler at that time can administer the coup de grâce.
Old December 16, 2002, 11:46   #127
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

We may soon be facing Musketeers, in which case our Crucs will find city defenses much tougher to crack… we'll need Metallurgy for Cannon (anything else would req Feudalism).
Old December 16, 2002, 17:32   #128
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

IMO, as soon as we start seeing Pikemen with walls - let alone Musketeers - we'll probably need to get Dragoons and Cannons. Or Super 'Clads...

Are we avoiding Feudalism only to keep the Warrior around for rush buying purposes?

SG(2) - good call with the Xinning (size 5ing?)... I had totally forgotten that strategy, and made a trip to the GL to reread up on that.

Long live the GL despite the broken links

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 16, 2002, 17:36   #129
King

Quote:

Innuendo is in my previous post.

No real rush... I doubt that many of us will want to play much next week (holidays). So, play as many turns as you can before that time, up to 10.

(Now that I've said that, no doubt SG[1] and Hydey will be shaking their 's in a couple of days... )

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old December 16, 2002, 20:04   #130
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Dave - Thanks. I agree science can be forgotten now. As our city count increases and the AI's cities decrease the overwhelming number of troops we will have available can swamp anything in our path.

-Jrabbit - Using Xin's technique it was possible increase the beaker output from 8 turns to 5 for Navigation. The term AntiXin is sometimes used when money is required instead of science.

---------------------

SG(2)
Old December 16, 2002, 20:26   #131
Straybow
Emperor

I in my kerchief, and Ma in her cap
Had settled our brains for a long winter nap…
Old December 17, 2002, 06:06   #132
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
No real rush... I doubt that many of us will want to play much next week (holidays). So, play as many turns as you can before that time, up to 10.

(Now that I've said that, no doubt SG[1] and Hydey will be shaking their 's in a couple of days... )
why wait a couple of days!! The best civ window in the calandar and he says "doubt many will want to play!" the exams are over, the marking is nearly done the kids are still at school and the Boss is still at work! .... and I'm at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dotinow!:

SG[1]
Old December 17, 2002, 09:36   #133
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

The girls will be watching Buffy The VS tonight, so I'll blow off shopping for them and try to at least get an evaluation session in.

Old December 17, 2002, 12:35   #134
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

why wait a couple of days!! The best civ window in the calandar and he says "doubt many will want to play!" the exams are over, the marking is nearly done the kids are still at school and the Boss is still at work! .... and I'm at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:dotinow!:

SG[1]
*gulp* Well, you heard the man, Jrabbit... get moving!

Old December 18, 2002, 10:10   #135
-Jrabbit
Deity

Well, I managed to get it unzipped and opened on the Mac. Really only had time for a first-pass view, and...

HOLY BLEEP! I didn't recognize the game at all! My last turn, we had maybe a dozen or so cities and had just found our first adjoining landmasses. Now we have over 60 cities, have met (and are at war with) all other civs, and have explored maybe 75-80 percent of the map. Enemy civs comprise 22 cities total. Hmmm.

One civ has musketeers, 2 more studying for same. I think we may need some miltary upgrades to finish this off -- but maybe Crucs In Quantity can carry the day.

I see we are in Monarchy, very slowly studying Democracy.

I guess I had no idea how quick the expansion can be when ICSing. (I presume that's what's been happening.) Lots to absorb before I can move forward logically. However, the extreme lack of infrastructure should make that a bit easier.

I'll review some of the turnlogs in this thread and try to get my head around this before my moves. Unlike my own games, I'll probably set some specific goals before moving forward.

Looks like Big Fun...

Old December 18, 2002, 16:43   #136
Straybow
Emperor

Since we've got a dozen people playing much changes between turns. I always try to check up on every save posted so I'm not too lost. I thought you had no trouble doing the d/l at work and repackaging for Mac use, but if not harp on us for copies in the necessary format, or we can email the .sav files.
Old December 18, 2002, 17:38   #137
King

My first turn ended with 2 cities... my second turn started with us facing a practically-conquered Celt foe, Indian cities under our brutal heel, and a proto-shipchain towards the vile Americans and Greeks.

So, lots can change!

[hint]perhaps you should try reading the logs, Jrabbit...[/hint]

Old December 19, 2002, 09:37   #138
-Jrabbit
Deity

I try to keep up with the logs (reading them in lurk mode was how I got into the succession thing originally), but did not grasp the scope of change here. Maybe confused it with the other game...

Gamefile is safely Macified and ready for action. Digging deep to try and find the time...

Last edited by -Jrabbit; December 19, 2002 at 09:53.
Old December 23, 2002, 15:40   #139
King

Can we have a status report Jrabbit? The natives are getting restless...

Old December 23, 2002, 22:02   #140
-Jrabbit
Deity

The gifts are purchased and wrapped, the house is cleaned (relatives coming tomorrow night), misc chores complete. which means... YES!

Got clearance from the tower to head to the basement and turn on the computer.

Will do what I can tonight and update before I retire.

Thanks for your patience.

Old December 24, 2002, 06:12   #141
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Keep at it -Jrabbit -- it is most important to stay in good odour with 'the tower' - I am currently seriously out of favour with the Powers That Be - no change there then, I sympathise...

SG[1]
Old December 24, 2002, 14:16   #142
-Jrabbit
Deity

Got 4 turns in before I was dragged away last night. Trying to sneak in a couple more today before the Band of 12 descends on us for dinner and gifts.

so far, so good. I don't think I'll be able to finish it off, but perhaps the next person will -- if we can find the darned Russkies.

backatcha soon, I hope.

Old December 24, 2002, 20:47   #143
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Good on you rabbitman

SG[1]
Old December 25, 2002, 04:02   #144
-Jrabbit
Deity

Take it away, you Git!
well, I couldn't do all I wanted to to, and rushing to get a couple extra turns in just cost us some time. Haste made a bit of waste.

No time to post full events, so here's the gist --

The Aztecs have been a thorn. Two major assaults repulsed, plenty of crucs wasted vs. their walled muskets. Don't even have their capital located yet.

As for everyone else, one city apiece is the norm.
--America is down to just Dallas (not found). Oh, there's a Barb New Orleans (6) ready for slaughter.
--The Greeks are down to Rhodes.
--The Babs are down to just Kish.
--Mongols still holding Karakorum (capital).
--Russians have Moscow, but no one knows where...

did I forget a civ? Dunno. Tired. Full report after Christmas. Meantime, here's the save.

BTW, I did know turn prep so next in line will need to do the tickling thing.

Oh, and what do you guys mean when you refer to BB's and DD's (destroyers?) ? There's enough context to get me close, but I guess i don't speak the lingo quite yet.

Finally -- Happy Holidays to all!!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip notrade_1520.zip (28.5 KB, 5 views)

Old December 25, 2002, 05:03   #145
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:13
well done rabbit man

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old December 25, 2002, 08:03   #146
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Returns to page 6 in order to find I'm up! will d/l momentarily and trust to find some time this festive bah humbug season!
All the best everyone,

SG[1]
Old December 25, 2002, 22:15   #147
Cyrion
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 13:13
Re: Take it away, you Git!
Quote:
--The Greeks are down to Rhodes.
[threadjack mode]
Be sure that if you could get some benefit from trade with a foreign Rhodes, then someone in your roster will conquer it next turn...

No, don't insist, I won't give no name...

An avid (if somewhat drunken...) reader of your adventures...
[/threadjack mode]
LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464
Old December 26, 2002, 11:40   #148
-Jrabbit
Deity

Lagomorphic Log
The Rabbit King looks about, sees over 60 cities to manage. Heavy sigh at the thought of long turns. But joy at the thought of a nice, easy hack-n-sack menatlity.

1380 -- Mousing around, I am shocked to see we're building tons of Barracks. Which means no Sun Tsu. How can that be??? Oh, the no science thing... Right... We didn't miss it -- just not available.
Much Barb movement. Russians get gunpowder.

1400 -- Population hits 6MM. We sack Argos for 30 GP, decline Greek cease-fire.
Capture Ellipi for 21 GP.
We also find new targets -- Akkad (Bab) and Calxlhuaca (Aztec).
Sack Herakleia for another 28 GP.
Hut = 50 GP.

1420 -- Greeks switch to Republic. We respond by sacking Thessalonica for 37 GP.
We find Knossos and immediately attack. Mistake. We will return!!
Exploration of southern polar area begins.
Troop transport gets semi-organized.

1440 -- We find Texcoco and Babylon
Akkad captured = 13 GP.
We locate Rhodes, last undiscovered Greek city. Conveniently located for future destruction....
Hut = 50 GP
Knossos taken = 136 GP. So that's where they keep their money.
Polar hut = 200 GP
The Rabbit King notes Aztecs are allied with the Russians, wonders if that's a carry-over or a new thing. If new, maybe a clue on Moscow's location...

1460 -- We capture the Pyramids of Babylon and 13 GP. Check for granaries to sell. Babs demand audience, opt for war.
Samarra (Babs) found and taken = 5 GP (woo hoo!).
Thought we had black-clicked the last American city (Dallas), but it turns out to be New Orleans (6), a Barb stronghold. Not fun, since we can't bribe for NONE units. We briefly consider establishing an embassy with them.
City of Unneeded Canal is founded on 2-whale spot.
Hut yields many Barb horsies. Crusader leaps back onto caravel. Barbs head toward Slump.
Capture Calixtlahuaca for 32 GP and [B]Bridge Building[/B}. Stunned to learn that someone had a tech we could use. Leo's upgrades a few warriors to Musketeers.
Survey reveals the only civs with multiple cities are the Babylonians (2), Aztecs (4), and americans (3).
Our reputation is "Atrocious."

1480 -- We have reached 7MM in population.
Eridu taken for 10 GP. We resolve to end the pathetic economic squalor rampant in the cities we've been taking.
Polar hut yields Crusader.
Chicago taken, along with its 43 GP.
City of Why Not Here? is founded amid former Celt empire (IIRC).
Hut yields advanced tribe. City of Pisa is size 2, with granary, temple, and marketplace. Granary sold.
Mass assault on Teotihuacan. Their walled muskets repulse about 10 crusaders (including several vets). The Rabbit King vows revenge.
Hut on new island yields nomads. Crusader stays behind in order to forge a new life on the virgin soil.
Still no sign of Russians.

1500 -- Barbs land near Karakorum, revealing that their best defense is a Phalanx.
City of Silkiness is founded NE of fading American empire.
Final Babylonian city of Kish is spotted.
We found the city of Chilling Effect north of Aztec empire.

1510 -- Americans decide on a Republican government. The fools!!!!!!
Polar hut = 100 GP.
Additional huts yield Advanced Tribe (Melbourne) and 100 GP.

1520 -- After much manipulation prepping to take the American stronghold of New York (9), we basically waltz in using only about 4 of our massed Crusader force. Yields 97 GP. Bored troops set sights on new Orleans, knowing final city of Dallas must be near.
Our other attack force takes on the Aztec city of Texcoco. We are again repulsed.
The Rabbit King swears revenge, orders all caravels to load up with vet crusaders.

Having lost 2 major battles, the troops have been heard to mutter that they have "no confidence in the damn Rabbit." Fresh grafitti spotted in the capital expresses the thought that "Any Git Could Do Better."

The Rabbit King sees the writing on the wall and secedes the monarchy. :

Old December 26, 2002, 12:08   #149
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Good game Rabbit!
We need Clads!!!

Have not yet played, but have perused the scene - you really have left me little to do, my first thoughts are get some battle settlers to build forts under the Aztec walls and pound them into submission - but will consider carefully since the Aztecs are the only serious opposition you have left me - or us if I can find a slot for (2) and I to get it together, maybe Friday evening [hic].
Just one question - why are we researching Democracy?

and in response to your earlier question (I think it was you) BB = Battleship & DD = Destroyer - military designations....

SG[1]
Old December 26, 2002, 12:59   #150
-Jrabbit
Deity

The Monarch Prior To -Jrabbit is the reason we are "researching" Democracy.

No one else has 'clads, so the seas are wide open to our fleet of Caravels.

I agree that fortresses would be a nice way to attack the Aztecs, but suspect I was just a bit impatient in going after them too soon. (Was hoping to take them out with crucs, but misestimated the needed size of the force -- barely -- both times.

The other major "todo" on my list was "Find Moscow." A search strategy is needed, and the Unexplored North should be the target. A couple shipfuls of Explorers should get it done in short order.

The goundwork is nearly laid for the "coup de gras." The only real challenge left is --

How Soon Can We Do It?
Good luck Friday. Take no prisoners (I'll be at the Chicago Poly Meet that night! )