Old January 10, 2003, 01:46   #211
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Seige tactics
Quote:
Originally posted by Straybow
Ahem: you may notice that I did pillage most of their irrigation and cover most of the land tiles aroung Tlatelolco and some around other cities.
Stray,

What I noticed was that food was not important to deny; just shields. And not a little at a time. Get the invasion force gathered and then, all in one turn, cover his shield tiles. Like a denial of service attack, you will have shut down his 'server.' I brought a boat over from that nearby hut village about 12 clicks SE of the Aztec 'sphere of influence' to cover the backside areas on the other coast.

The one unit left (from the shield of the city hall) will still require 6 to 8 vet crooks, IIRC. The vet cats will make it go faster. I also gave some thought as to the order of the cities to attack and the best squares to make the attack from so as to be best able to move on to the next target.

In cracking Tlat' and Tex' I think I mustered 43 units. Non-vets work fine in the denial of service role, but, they die uselessly if pressed to attack walls. And attacking in dribs and drabs was not very pretty either. I did some of that too, before I had the brainstorm to besiege them.

It may not have been filled with glory, but still and all considered, I think it was a pretty good tactic.
Old January 10, 2003, 04:55   #212
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 11:13
No BM - no broadside from this Ironclad - a shild siege is a perfectly valid appoach and works almost every time - I recall one occasion when some Mongols turned royalist on me - I just don't have the siege mentality.

Remember - I am British - the blood of the generals that much preferred to send in the troops (preferably Irish, Welsh, Scottish, or ANZAC of course -- always assuming there were no native levies available) and watch them be butchered, flows in my veins -- - yes this is a 'joke'

The only real problem in this game is the awful logistics -- we have ample materiel to finish the job - by either siege or direct assault, they just aren't where they need to be - but they will arrive

SG[1]
Old January 10, 2003, 11:30   #213
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Remember - I am British - the blood of the generals that much preferred to send in the troops (preferably Irish, Welsh, Scottish, or ANZAC of course -- always assuming there were no native levies available) and watch them be butchered, flows in my veins -- - yes this is a 'joke'

SG[1]
Funny, when the head-on approach was initially advocated, my first thought was of Montgomery at Alamein.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 11, 2003, 06:56   #214
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
More like Patton. Saddled with hardware that was as plentiful as it was second rate, he accepted 4:1 losses if that's what it took to meet the objective.
Old January 11, 2003, 12:12   #215
Bloody Monk
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

After a few forays against the walls I too thought of a famous general.

One General George A. Custer, he of the long flowing golden mane.

Called Yellow Hair by the Souix (not as picturesque as Old Blood and Guts)

In his case, the losses were more like 1:4...and he was never heard from again.

4:1 can be forgiven... by circumstance... by winning.

Losing all your men senselessly is another story.

"The objective is not to die for your country, but to make the other dumb bastard die for his."--George C Scott as Patton.
Old January 11, 2003, 21:54   #216
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

The real Patton (Old Blood and Guts in the UK) movie quote is a little different… anyway, are you trying to say that in Custer's final engagement his unit killed 4 Souix for each man? I thought the Souix showered them with arrows from cover and suffered comparatively light losses.
Old January 12, 2003, 02:27   #217
Bloody Monk
King

Stray,

Excellent site!! Thanks for the link. My memory of the quotation was actually better than I could hope.

There is another quote (that I won't get exactly) to the effect that "if I knew I was going to live so long, I would have taken better care of myself."

No, I was not saying "that", with 1:4. Maybe it was kinda lame, certainly confusing. And I took the 'ratio' to be a literary device, as I don't claim to know the actual numbers. In any case, my lack of clarity also warrants your construction.

Patton accepted losses of "4:1" in winning.

Custer inflicted the ultimate loss ratio on his own men; it simply doesn't matter how many Souix he killed.

It just seems to me that because Custer managed to get everyone killed, you could say he only killed one Souix for every four men he squandered. It's the same ratio, yes; but, derisive. I tried to put the emphasis on what a pathetic, wasteful tactic Custer blundered into. ( Turns out he was facing around 7,000, better armed, battle hardened, highly motivated and better led opponents.)

And to me the parallel to the game is striking. Because Custer's tactic makes about as much sense as throwing twelfth century crooks at eighteenth century musketeers behind walls...IMHO.
Old January 12, 2003, 21:06   #218
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Are these games much fun?

@ War4ever
Old January 13, 2003, 05:40   #219
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Fairly obviously - we think so - but they are not to everyone's taste.

SG[1]

... and as his eyes close for the last time the dying eighteenth century musketeer sees his glorious city reduced to the stone age by the barbarous (but victorious) twelfth century Crooks...
Old January 13, 2003, 05:59   #220
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:

SG[1]

... and as his eyes close for the last time the dying eighteenth century musketeer sees his glorious city reduced to the stone age by the barbarous (but victorious) twelfth century Crooks...
Completely agree...the singular musketeer could not stand alone against the hoard of glorious Crooks....

But there seems to be no need to destroy "his", now our, glorious city, is there??
Old January 13, 2003, 09:03   #221
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by obiwan18
Are these games much fun?

@ War4ever
These games are a blast, obiwan. Read through some of the past games to get a sense of it. Group mission, agreed-upon rules. Many players means a lot of different styles and levels of ability are involved.

And even when reading all the posts between your turns, it's pretty amazing sometimes to see how the game has morphed between your previous turn and your next.

I've played in 3 or 4 now, and have learned a LOT in the process.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old January 13, 2003, 16:33   #222
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Yay!!!!!

We now have our very own CivGroup!!!

Thanks, MarkG

SG[1]
Old January 13, 2003, 17:02   #223
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:
Yay!!!!!

We now have our very own CivGroup!!!

Thanks, MarkG

SG[1]
Very excited, I see; but, what's the dealeo??

Maybe MarkG hasn't yet set it up yet, or, more likely, I just don't know where to look. Is it listed under CivII in the forum list??

Monk
Old January 13, 2003, 18:20   #224
King

A CivGroup is a list of people who play the same game, for facilitating lists of players and the like. You can find them by clicking on the CS Forums root directory.

I see Hydey has joined the list... how's the game coming along?

Quote:
Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man

Special Rules: No Caravans, Freight, or Spies allowed. Diplomats are allowed exclusively for the purpose of establishing embassies. Tech trading and other forms of diplomacy are permitted. Victory condition can be either conquest, or AC.

Play List:

1. STYOM
2. DaveV
3. SG(2)
4. Jrabbit
5. SG[1]
6. Straybow
7. Hydey
8. La Fayette

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old January 13, 2003, 18:32   #225
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloody Monk
Very excited, I see; but, what's the dealeo??

Maybe MarkG hasn't yet set it up yet, or, more likely, I just don't know where to look. Is it listed under CivII in the forum list??

Monk
It's listed under Multiplayer.

But I don't know if there's a "lurker" class...
(Seriously, you should enter and sign in.)

Old January 13, 2003, 23:05   #226
Bloody Monk
King

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

It's listed under Multiplayer.
Done. And many thanks for the pointer, -Jrabbit.

Quote:
Originally posted by -Jrabbit

But I don't know if there's a "lurker" class...
(Seriously, you should enter and sign in.)

no "stalker" class either

Eager to learn; didn't have MPGE until recently; you guys play really hard games....pick one or mix and match. There seems to always be a reason to NOT undertake something new, I've noticed.

Monk
Old January 14, 2003, 00:04   #227
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Well, sign me up then, JRabbit. Sounds like a real hoot.
Old January 14, 2003, 00:46   #228
Straybow
Emperor

Unfair, unfair!
Hey, why can't we have a fancy-schmancy emblem instead of the boring purple rectangle? I stole this from one of the Micro$haft Windows std icon sets, on the purple bg, but I can't make a gif of it…
Attached Images:

Old January 14, 2003, 09:27   #229
-Jrabbit
Deity

If we want something custom, we'll have to design (to the specs of the others).

Persoanlly, I'm OK with the plain text, since it *kinda* says what we are. Cool designs are nice, but I think they should also communicate, and I don't know if the billboard space available (18x20?? pixels or some such) allows that.

Welcome to the group, obiwan and Bloody Monk!!

Old January 14, 2003, 21:27   #230
Straybow
Emperor

The rollover text gives the full name of the group. The crossed swords I stole attached above is the proper size (15x19).
Old January 17, 2003, 01:34   #231
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:13
we win
1730 Hydey takes over with only the dishes to wash.
Aztecs develop metalergy
Moving millions of troops around
moving units attempting seige of Texcoco

1740 ok more of the same, seige of Texcoco in place, they should just have 1 defender for the attack next turn

1750 Aztecs contact us and beg for peace, I fart in their general direction. Attack Texcoco and lose 2 catupults and 2 crusaders defeating the lone musketeer defender.
Capture Texcoco 113 gold & metallurgy
Leo's upgrades all catupult to cannon
Begin moving seige troops towards Tlateloco.

1752 Production orders in 100's of cities changed from catapult to cannon
Tlateloco seige in place for attack next turn.

1754 Attack Tlateloco losing 2 cannon in taking out remaining musketeer
Aztecs beg for peace , offer up all their virgins but we will take thm anyway
Move seige into place around tenochititlan.

1756 Attack Tenochtitlan losing 1 crusader defeating the phalanx (man with pointed stick) defender
Capture great library & 23 gold
Move seige troops into place around teotihuacan.

1758 Final attack lose 2 cannon in defeating the last aztec musketeer.
Hydey has his fill of aztec Virgins
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ap_a1758.sav (152.3 KB, 4 views)

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old January 17, 2003, 01:35   #232
Hydey
Emperor

here is the save prior to the last attack.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav ap_a1756.sav (152.3 KB, 9 views)

Old January 17, 2003, 01:37   #233
Hydey
Emperor

that was alot of fun
what next STYOM ?

Old January 17, 2003, 04:10   #234
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

Trust Hydey to take all the bloody virgins after we did all the bloody work

Well done all - good game!

SG[1]
Old January 17, 2003, 04:24   #235
Bloody Monk
King

Hydey,

The 1756 save is a sight to see. Very impressive and enough to scare the cr** out of those Aztec virgins. Hope you had them cleaned up first.

Great game

Monk
Old January 17, 2003, 17:15   #236
King

Nice work Hydey!

And good game everyone ... I have some ideas for the next one, probably to be launched on the weekend...

(Of course, that's assuming I don't have any turns to play in the other 2 current games! )

Old January 19, 2003, 14:55   #237
-Jrabbit
Deity

Hydey uber alles!

Much fun, STOYM. Thanks for including me.