Old November 18, 2002, 14:35   #1
tungsten
Settler

Local Time: 11:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Moo1 all races consecutively
Hi Guys

I have been a Moo1 fan since it first came out and have been playing it off and on for years. (have never played Moo2 - Don't enjoy Micromanagement that much)
I've been trying to play each race consecutively (in order starting from the Humans), on impossible level, with no saves (only for ship identification purposes - occasionally I miss the 3 guesses)
Has anyone achieved this?
5 times I have gone right down to the Darloks and damn me if I get a crap start. (I always start from the top. have allready achieved this by starting Darloks, Mrrshan, Alkari....)
Would you believe I only lasted about 30 turns last week when I thought I would finally achieve this long desired target!! Damn Klackons bombed my planets in the fastest loss I can ever remember.
This is the most played game I have ever owned.
It is a little easy however, If you get a reasonable start you always win.
tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2002, 16:18   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:13
Not sure what you mean by "only for ship id". I never have any problem with getting the ships by the third guess. I don't recall making a run using each race for more than 4 games. I will usually fall back to my favs by then. I am not even sure that I have played all of the races on impossible. I know I have done most of them. I found the Sili and Mrrs the hardest to play. In any game that you have the Klacs close by you can get into trouble if they come for you early. If they have a whacky leader they will come for you. The other game that seem to be dangerous is a small map with the silis. The game will likely have lots of planets that you will need tech to use and the sili will expand like a weed. This game can see the vote get you. Often it is not the case as most will not like them either.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2002, 13:54   #3
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 05:13
I did everyone on hard, but not on impossible. But that was like 7 years ago
Old November 19, 2002, 21:20   #4
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:13
Sounds like an interesting (but very time-consuming) challenge. I have beaten the game using all of the races on impossible (all in huge galaxies) but certainly not all in a row.
From memory I had the most trouble using the Darloks as well ...
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2002, 22:12   #5
vmxa1
Deity

darloks are fun as they are god at framing others. I had actually started on that test once and did 4 or 5 in a row and bailed back to my normal ones. I had read a post about playing each race and that is what got me started.
Old November 19, 2002, 23:00   #6
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
darloks are fun
I quite agree. They do take a bit of getting used to though - particularly if you don't have any practice game with them after just having played as the Klackons or somesuch (Don't remember which race comes just prior to the Darloks off the top of my head).
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2002, 05:22   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

I only play the Klacs on impossible. On hard I have played most races other than humans (man they suck) but Silicoids are very hard. They expand quickly but their low growth rate and sucky reseach do me in all the time.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2003, 07:43   #8
AIL
Warlord

Local Time: 12:13
I always use a random number generator to determine with what race to play. I them all!
And if it is to hard with a certain race, I lose, nothing that would disturb me...
AIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2003, 07:52   #9
Jacques Rougeau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by AIL
I always use a random number generator to determine with what race to play. I them all!
And if it is to hard with a certain race, I lose, nothing that would disturb me...
Well it really depends at the strategy you are using but you're right in the end they are all nice and I like the races too except for the Alkaris, they are really ugly drawn at MoO I and I always bomb them out immediately only for the sake that I don't have to see them any longer

In MoO II the races are much more better portrayed and here I really love everyone.

And if I loose a round it doesn't really bother me otherwise I think I would have already committed suicide when I'm thinking of all the rounds I've lost in the beginning
Jacques Rougeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 19:17   #10
taomen
Settler

Has anyone located a "key" to the ship id copyright feature? I actually purchased the game back in the day and now I can't find the manual that came with the ships identified.
taomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 19:24   #11
taomen
Settler

Nevermind, found it
Try here for MOO ship guide.
http://www.nerdherd.com/freebies/moo/ships.php
taomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 20:17   #12
vmxa1
Deity

taomen that is one of the best ones i have seen so far.
I have posted the one from Jonsullivans site on this board a number of times as an attachment so it can be downloaded.
Old June 1, 2003, 03:39   #13
tungsten
Settler

Well, I'm pleased (and somewhat relieved) to say that after many many years of playing Moo1 (was one of my first ever PC games), and after numerous attempts to do so, I have finally achieved the goal stated at the top of this thread and beaten MOO1 on settings "Huge, Impossible, 5" starting from the Humans and working down, with saved games only for stops in play. playing whatever start was generated.
I think on at leat 7 occasions that I can recall, and Twice since I last posted I got all the way down to the Darloks and got absolutely trashed.
Well victory is mine, and i'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
If only I could master the other 300 odd games that I own...
tungsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2003, 19:01   #14
vmxa1
Deity

Nice job, I am not able t stick to to it. I made a few runs at it, but sooner or later lost. I have more trouble as either Darloks or the Silicoids.
It is not something I have as a goal, but use as a change of pace.