Old November 23, 2002, 20:12   #31
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 07:14
Local Date: November 1, 2010
OK Flash - I read the rest of the Cut Throats thread. You have my sympathies. Sort of. But welcome to the team. And you know - I kinda liked your philospohy to begin with. Slash and burn. But this is a 'new team'. We will have to determine our own destiny.

Dear Theseus - we may only offer 63% wines, but the other 37% is beer. And that is 'good' beer! Not that second rate stuff from south of the border (U.S.-Canada border to be exact.) Remember the very serious philosophical question - What does making love in a canoe and American beer have in common? Answer - They're both f***ing near water.

So Jon and fellow team members- I have a few ideas for a team name and theme - including Warrior Poets, Shakespearians, The Believers, Roman Around, and Canaan/Canine - under the last regime, when the peasants get out of hand - the mistress of the dictator declares - 'Let them eat Alpo'. Which incidentally - would be the fourth city name.

Dinner beckons - I will expand on my ideas tomorrow.

ps - someone else will have to come up with an icon - I haven't the faintest clue how to do that.
Old November 23, 2002, 20:27   #32
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

well we need it by dec. 1
Old November 23, 2002, 20:50   #33
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:14
I'd be willing to help with the icon if you can come up with anything to base it on, like what you gameplay style will be, your team name, or anything else.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:42   #34
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

hmmm

I wil contact the other 3, see what they think

Jon miller
Old November 23, 2002, 21:54   #35
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:14
BetaHound, as long as that good beer you refer to is Imported beer, (Heineken or Guiness) you have my good luck. I'm sick of 3 for buck special deal beers.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:56   #36
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

BTW who is the seventh team? Was it Cut Throat?
Old November 23, 2002, 22:01   #37
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

7th team is Borc's Demogyptica team.
Old November 24, 2002, 02:32   #38
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
G'day Jon. A few questions, oh fearless leader.

1) How many folks on the team so far? 2) Any thoughts on a team name? and 3) Are you completely married to the idea of a tag team approach - or variants on that theme.

Also - I understand the intent is to use the PBeM option. Isn't that going to take forever with 8 teams involved?
it will take a while to play PBEM

there should be 5 or 6 people on the team

I have no thoughts on the team name

I am not completely married to the tag team approach

however, I must say that I strongly favor an approach where one person plays for a number of turns, while the others don't need to do anything

of course, there should be discussion about somethings, since they would affect all of us (liek starting a World Wonder)

Jon Miller
Old November 24, 2002, 02:50   #39
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

hmm

I will lay out an idea of how things could be done
----------------
every person has a certain ammount of votes about who gets to play

we have one person play for a set ammount of time, this person is controller

the ammount of votes a person has increases by 1 (to a maximum of the number of members) everytime they do not get to be the controller and resets to 1 when they are the controller (So that everyone gets to play)

the controller gets determined in an election (in which every member is running)
--------------------
the controller should post what is going on currently to the satisfaction of the other members

if a member thinkgs that the controller is controllng poorly or thinks for some other reason the controller should lose control, that member can put a noconfidence motion on the floor

every member gets one vote in the noconfidence motion, if it is carried, elections for controller occur again (probably with some other member winning)
------------------------------
durring a controllers period at the helm discussion will be held to facilitate a good game being played
----------------
it is expected that before a new controller is elected that the members reach some sort of consensus about the general direction the civilization should go (the big things like who to go to war with, or wether to build a wonder or not, or what techs to go towards)
---------------------

these ideas go with my beleif that most members want to actually be playing at some point, that having continuity with the person who is playing is a good thing in general, and that for the small things (like the actual troop movements) the controller has a better feel for what is going on than those who are not playing at the moment

Jon Miller
Old November 24, 2002, 03:01   #40
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

Also, right now we need to decide what Civ we are using.

I will suggest Spanish or Vikings of the new civ.

Jon Miller
Old November 24, 2002, 03:14   #41
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:14
What civs are already taken?
Old November 24, 2002, 03:34   #42
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

(not because of their bonuses, but because I think they are cool)

Jon Miller
Old November 24, 2002, 03:35   #43
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

I think Carthage and Ottomans are taken.

Jon Miller
Old November 24, 2002, 06:30   #44
Crousto
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 12:14
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Miller
I think Carthage and Ottomans are taken.
Don't know about others, but Spain is taken by the roleplay team
Old November 24, 2002, 07:48   #45
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:14
Ottomans : Lux Invicta
Carthage : Legoland
Spain : Roleplayers.
It is possible to take a Civ which has already been claimed, but it weans playing rock-paper-scissors. Also, I'd dislike you claiming Spain, because the Roleplay team is already immersed in their Civ
Old November 24, 2002, 09:14   #46
flash9286
King

well gets the icon, name, cleared then discuss the civ in our forum
Old November 24, 2002, 10:26   #47
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Important things first - Calc II regarding the beer - I would suggest Keith's IPA from Nova Scotia or Sleeman's Lager from here in Upper Canada (read Ontario). Then again - I do have a sof spot for British beers....

Now - onto more 'civilized' matters:

Jon - I like the general layout of your team approach. It looks like we will be a small, and hopefully tight enough team that it should work well.

Regarding Civs - I would add Celts to the list - I like the religious and militaristic combo. I also like the current Babs, Egyptions, and Aztecs. But, I am not hung up on the civ. Your choice is fine by me - or do we want to - gasp ! - vote. How do the others feel? BTW - who are the others? Also, do we know what civs the other teams have chosen?

I know - questions, questions. Well then, time for some answers on other issues. Here are my suggestions as to team names, and icons, given GF's generous offer to draw one up fro us.

Warrior Poets

Traits - Militaristic and something else.

Theme - a civ of romatic conquerors, who always seem to come up a bit short because they stop to postulate lyrically everytime they conguer a new city, or meet Cleopatra. Their main objective in the game is to be the first to reach Free Artistry.

Game Play - mixed - which means "We ain't givin' anything away before the game starts."

Icon - a parchment scroll, or book, or the like.

Shakespearians

Traits - just plain well spoken.

Theme - a civ dedicated to re-living the great bard's finest works through the civ III (No, of course I don't have the faintest idea what this means in game terms - other than a drive for the Theatre of course.) But you know, the other Civ's will never be sure whether its a tragedy or comedy coming their way....

Game Play - mixed - which means "We ain't givin' anything away before the game starts."

Icon - something that looks like Shakespeare.

Believers

Traits - religious and something else.

Theme - a civ dedicated to building a civilization through the contsruction of every religious improvement (I know, I know, it happens anyway) and spreading the True Word to the rest of the world - this means you, Togas followers, and you, Legoheads.

Icon - an icon. Yes - an eastern European orthodox icon. Jeweled cross or the like.

Canine (not Canaan)

Traits - militaristic

Theme - a civ that's gone to the dogs. Cities are named after breeds or dog heroes - Shnauzerville, Weiner City, and Rin Tin Tin. Our main objective is to build a sufficient infrastructure to guarantee fire hydrants at all city intersections, and then when that's done - we come looking for someone else to p*ss on. On a more game related note, this civ would truly be "dogs of war". Other than of course the poodles who stay behind to irrigate and build roads.

Game play - aggressive to mixed.

Icon - you guessed it - a German Shepherd, or Doberman, or some equally fear-inspiring canine.

Now - given what Jon has proposed about game play - the first thing that came to my mind was Italian politics - I'm talking about the last 50 years or so, not the Machiavellian stuff (although that might be more appropriate to civ building). Yes - the last 50 years where they have had some innumerable number of governments - wasn't it in the 40's range. So, our civ will be based on frequent gov't changes, and lots of votes of non-confidence. Throw in a mafia-related trial and we are right on topic. So, I suggest:

Martini and Rossi (or Martini for short)

Traits - whatever - maybe we would want to play the Romans, but hey, guess not.

Theme - well - the theme is generally the government style. Let's see if it works. If not, load in the gin or vodka, make it a true Martini, and look elsewhere for your entertainment (oh - Cleo!).

Icon - yes - of course - a Martini glass.

There's my ideas, esteemed fellow members. Any thoughts or reactions. We should choose soon. We have to get our game faces on. Grrrrrr....
Old November 24, 2002, 13:12   #48
Beta
lifer
Deity

And one more - picking up on Jon's governance approach.

Vox Controli

Traits - to be determined.

Theme: a quasi-democratic approach, where the voice of the Controller rules. The collective will, experience, and inspiration of the people are focused through one voice, one controller with the ultimate aim being - "To build the the strongest civilization yet known, and if necessary, to impose our will on the lesser populations of the world."

(That is of course - until we impeach the yahoo.)

Game play - yes, of course - to be determined.

Icon - blood red banner with a white or gold "V" on it - representing concurrently - One Voice, to Victory.

So - I vote for first - Vox Controli, second, Martini and Rossi, and third, Warrior Poets.

Let's hear from you team. Any new ideas? Or do we vote? If we vote, let's try - 5 points for your first choice, 3 to second, and 1 to third - them's the rules.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:16   #49
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

BetaHound :
You might be interested by these threads :
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=68765
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=68521
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=68775

Last edited by Spiffor; November 24, 2002 at 14:35.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:30   #50
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by WarriorPoet
Anything less than one turn per day would be insane!
It IS insane... it will take us a year to finish the first 52 turns Four years to finish a game....
Old November 24, 2002, 13:31   #51
flash9286
King

nope 11 years to play till 2050
Old November 24, 2002, 13:34   #52
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
nope 11 years to play till 2050
Old November 24, 2002, 17:54   #53
Beta
lifer
Deity

Spiffor - danke/merci/thanks. I am new to posting on Apolyton so I am not sure how to keep up with the new threads. sigh... I'll learn.
Old November 25, 2002, 19:03   #54
Zero
King

Thank you Betahound... I will write those names down. I love imports....

Anyway what civ are you guys? Have you made decision?

Perhaps setting an agenda will first will help you choose a civ? What kind of playing style will your team be? Will you agenda be to pursuit field of science? pursuit of wealth? or to cry havoc and scream with your blood filled lungs as you violently charge against your neighbor?