Old November 19, 2002, 10:04   #1
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Amendment proposal for the NewCon: NewZupdate
First: Allow me to apologize to the ConCon, especially, and indeed to all citizens. I shoulld have sniffed this out a hell of a long time ago. In fact, I should have amended to old CoL ages ago.

Second: Why does it need to be an amendment? As proposed, the president would be in charge of it. (not neccessarily writting it, just making sure it is done) That requires more than a Senate bill/law, I think? If not this can be my first bill.

This is a specific request from the gOdZ that has not been done for some time. This will ensure it is completed as requested, to ensure we do not anger the gOdZ again.

Amendment proposal:

This amendment is intended to add the following to the duties of the President:

(l) The President is required to ensure that the newZupdate is written.
(a) The President may appoint someone to write the newZupdate, but will be the one to answer should it not be completed.
(b) newZupdates will be written and PM'd to the gOdZ once per week.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 19, 2002, 10:16   #2
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
I like it, you might get the distinctive honor of Amendment number 1.

E_T
Old November 19, 2002, 11:03   #3
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 13:15

The gOdZ have been kind to us so far by forgetting all those times that we've neglected our duties, but we must not fail them again or we shall face their wrath. Binding the status and duty of the newZupdate by law is an important step towards keeping Apolytonia safe from raining boulders and acid tides.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old November 19, 2002, 14:30   #4
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

. IMHO it would only be a law, and i think that the restrictions are too harsh.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old November 19, 2002, 14:46   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

What restrictions, civman? (taking care NOT to capitolize the 'c')

I thought that since it is adding a job to the president, it had to be in the CoL, not a Law/bill. We need SOMEONE responsible for it in the end. I have stated he can appoint someone, but without a person responsible, it will not be done. Our track record shows this. What specifically are you objecting to so we can discuss it?

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 19, 2002, 18:17   #6
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

THis would be a version of it that I would support:

Quote:
(a) The President may appoint someone to write the newZupdate.
(b) newZupdates will be written and PM'd to the gOdZ at a reasonable rate. At least 2 must be submitted every term. "A reasonable rate" shall mean at least once every 10 days unless the President or the person he/she appoints has a reasonable excuse.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old November 19, 2002, 20:47   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
civman2000;

the gOdZ have stated that they want one every week.

This is good Unortho. We need it.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 19, 2002, 21:14   #8
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Yes, the once per week is not from me, that is from the gOdZ. Sorry, out of my hands.

I can see your point on (a), though I still like having someone be the end-all person in charge. Perhaps it is a bit rednant, but I was trying to avoid simply passing the buck situations.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 19, 2002, 22:32   #9
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:15
UnOrthO,
I'd be fully in support of a proposal like this. I do think some clause allowing for flexability/emergencies should be included -- the times I have done it, I commonly try to delay a day or two for a Gazette to be released or a turnchat to be completed so it is accurate -- and I think the President should be allowed to delegate in some form.

I'm not sure if this would be a law, an amendment, or if it could perhaps be a combination of a law and an Executive Order. The disadvantage of using an executive order is that any future president could overrule it, but that would perhaps be the most appropriate venue. I need to double-check a few things, however, before I can say if I think the new CoL allows a law to assign responsibility to the executive. If nothing else, it's a fuzzy spot.

-- adaMada
Old November 19, 2002, 22:35   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Sorry, not in favour of it if it makes the Pres personally responsible.

What about the Senate? After all, it is a responsibility we all share as devotees of the g0dz.
Old November 20, 2002, 05:22   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:15
I think NYE is right. THe senate should take care of this, or the VP. The prez has already much to do as it is, and we don't want to discourage every candidate in the future
Old November 20, 2002, 08:43   #12
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:15
Giving it to the VP leaves the final responsibility on the Prez.
As it is not an executive duty (the game can be played without that), it makes sense to assign it to the Senate where the Secretary would do it.

Last edited by DAVOUT; November 20, 2002 at 09:59.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:39   #13
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Essentially it HAS been in the hands of the Senate and NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE. We need one person in charge. Whenever I say President, I figure the VP is also included as they should be sharing the job.

If we remove the one part would you guys accept it?

As I always do, changes in bold:

(a) The President may appoint someone to write the newZupdate.Removed this section
(b) newZupdates SHOULD be written and PM'd to the gOdZ once per week.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; November 20, 2002 at 09:47.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:47   #14
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:15
UnO,

The Senate you are referring to was an abstraction, he could not do anything. If it gets organized, it can do things like that, which have nothing to do with playing the game and therefore should not disturb the Prez.

But, if the Senate does not build an organization, there will be no alternative to your proposal.
Old November 20, 2002, 09:54   #15
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

UnOrthOdOx this is a good idea and if the President wasn't responisble in any way for the newZupdate I would certainly support it. What does, "The President is required to ensure that the newZupdate is written." mean? If he appoints someone to do it would that be enough? Or does the President have to make sure the person he appointed to write the update wrote it and then if they didn't write it does he have to write it himself? The way it is worded now I would guess you mean the latter and I am not sure if I support that. Also can the President fire the person he appointed or does this new official have to be impeached like all others? I would like it if the President could just fire the current one and then appoint a new one.

Sell your photos
Old November 20, 2002, 09:57   #16
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Basically, I don't care who ends up doing it. Right now, the only position that makes sense is the President. The Senate has no leader currently, I don't know that they ever will, and none of the Ministers really make sense.

We have been over a month without an update. I originally volunteered to do these, the gOdZ look to me. I have not been around the last month to do it, and now it is making ME PERSONALLY look bad. I do not appreciate that, and want to get this somewhere where it can rotate people, be it Senate leader, President, or some official update writer position to be appointed, I don't care. I am tired of looking bad for not doing this, and we as a nation are not gaining any favor from the gOdZ by delaying it. I think it speaks of allot of the problems around this demo game, just like how few people run for office, no one is willing to write this.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 20, 2002, 10:00   #17
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheik
UnOrthOdOx this is a good idea and if the President wasn't responisble in any way for the newZupdate I would certainly support it. What does, "The President is required to ensure that the newZupdate is written." mean? If he appoints someone to do it would that be enough? Or does the President have to make sure the person he appointed to write the update wrote it and then if they didn't write it does he have to write it himself? The way it is worded now I would guess you mean the latter and I am not sure if I support that. Also can the President fire the person he appointed or does this new official have to be impeached like all others? I would like it if the President could just fire the current one and then appoint a new one.
It doesn't say how the Pres needs to go about it. He could appoint someone every week if he feels the need. Or post the threads like I used to do each week...

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 21, 2002, 09:41   #18
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

You think just because I wrote one yesterday, I am letting this die off? Hm.

People must have forgotten how I am....

Come on, I only have one comment on the revised portion, and some private comments from some officials (why they are keeping it private, I do not know). I know you are all hating this, so let me hear of it!

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 21, 2002, 12:00   #19
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

When does the news have to be in to the Godz. Would once a week, starting after next weeks Friday/Saturday chat be good enough. I am planning on doing but I could also issue an executive order establishing an"official media liason with the Godz", ie the person who gets the news to them. We could also have a toped thread with each weeks story in it so we ALL can see it hasn't been done.
Aggie
Old November 21, 2002, 12:29   #20
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

The only problem with an executive order is that it does not bind the next president.

Once a week is all they ask, not a specific day.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 21, 2002, 14:10   #21
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Ok, just wondering. I was thinking of a specific time(or after specific event) so it is locked in everybodies mind that "we must do it soon since the chat is over". My experience tells me that when something is on a regular schedule it gets done more often.
Aggie
Old November 21, 2002, 14:40   #22
UnOrthOdOx
Emperor

We could most certainly assign a day, no problem. Weekends seem to be the best in terms of people having time and such.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 21, 2002, 15:55   #23
Aggie
King

I agree.
Aggie