Old November 19, 2002, 17:12   #1
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How long will this game take
by my calcutions it will take 11.25 years to finish the game. Thinking that we will play one turn a week. I think I did something wrong
Old November 19, 2002, 17:15   #2
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:16
At the beginning of the game when there is much much less to do we can expect the game to go by quickly, even if each team only has the save for one day. (if that's how we're doing it, I'm still unsure about that).

If we ever reach industrial or modern times, it will take a long time to get things going.
But for the ancienct era, things will go by smoothly enough.

But yes you are right this game is going to take a Loooonnnnnggggg Tiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeeee........
Old November 19, 2002, 17:16   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:16
yep, and I'm allready preparing for the next one

serious:
-first turns will go faster
-Don't expect the complete 540 turns will be needed
-hope that on occassions we can do more then 1 turn (weekends), not everybody has to be there to continiue.
(yes, I do realise i've said this befor)
Old November 19, 2002, 17:37   #4
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:16
Re: How long will this game take
Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
by my calcutions it will take 11.25 years
is that all?
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 19, 2002, 17:39   #5
Crousto
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 12:16
Very optimistic calculation : 500 turns (but first 100 played very quickly), 12 hours per team turn => around 200 days/team. With currently 5 teams : nearly 3 years. And if we have more teams coming, it will slow down even more...
Old November 19, 2002, 18:14   #6
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Pickly, picky.

Look, there will be times when all the teams can get together. We will all want this to move forward at a fairly good clip.

the first 100 or so turns will fly by. Probably within 2 months.

The next 100 will go kinda slow. Most teems will want to take some time, formulate strat, and what not.

By now, people will want to "get it going", so times will be set up where multiple turns (say 10 or so) are played right in a row, then a couple of days to coordinate among the teams, then play, so on and so forth. This will probably last to the end of the game

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 19, 2002, 18:32   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:16
GodKing:

People should realise (and I think they do) that if each team puts as much time and thought into their moves as they do in the SP DemoGames then we will never finish this game.
Hopefully each team is prepared to give a little and not impeach their presidents if they decide to play one extra turn during a turnchat just to keep the game moving.

Taking your time and discussing strategy will be fun for all of us I think. But there must be a balance. I think we all know this.
Old November 19, 2002, 20:54   #8
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

True. True.

We must give lots of leeway to the people who are playing. They must all be able to meet and convean here on poly at least once a week. And as long as each teem can agree to a minimum amout of time to play, so be it. Peace is different than war. Peace time it is rather easy to move things along. War can require some rather sudden adjustments, particularly when it comes as a surprise.
At these "chats", we must be willing to committ to, oh, say at least 10 turns. This will add in a good element for those who wish to Sneak Attack in the first of the 10 turns (it will not allow the opposing team the ability to respond as a team for the next 9 turns). It will also be great in that if nothing that needs to be talked about occures, than they may get through 10-30 turns. Who knows. But the whole point of a demo game is that we can get imput from ALL the players. And to do this, time is needed. So ya, it is good to think about moving the game forward, but it is also good to slow it down when things should be discussed.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 19, 2002, 21:59   #9
nz_upy
Warlord

Local Time: 11:16
How does one team do 10 turns at once?
Do the Presidents all get together and play one turn then pass it on to the next guy straight away?

I think that is how it should begin.
The team gets a screenshot of their starting position then their Team Leader gets to play the first 10 or so turns with the other Team Leaders just to get things moving from the start, other wise this will go pretty slow.

So do the Team Leaders all play together in a Turnchat to start things off or is one team one day for one turn then one team the next?

So the question is guys how are we actually going to play?

Poll?

My Vote is for combined turnchats to get things rolling until civs are established then transfering to one turn every 5 days, 1 day per team.