Old November 26, 2002, 14:53   #31
siredgar
Prince

Local Time: 06:18
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You know, I TOLD you that the Koreans should have had the kobukson ("turtleboat") instead of the hwacha ("firecart")...

Anyhow, I'm thinking about getting PTW but primarily to play the Koreans. Is it worth it or do the Koreans just suck?

I'm also interested in knowing more about the new features, etc. Sorry, I'm too lazy to do my research so some brief highlights from an Apolytoner's perspective would be great! Thanks.
Old November 26, 2002, 15:04   #32
siredgar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
Yeah, the Koreans kinda get shafted here.
This is no surprise: the Koreans have a history of getting shafted.

1890's, 1900's: Got tricked by Japanese diplomacy and strategic maneuvers to get annexed with the help of Westerners (see secret Taft-Katsura agreement between U.S. and Japan).
http://cinema.sangji.ac.kr/WINDOW/window/win00063.htm

WWII: Germany was divided because it was an aggressor, but what did Korea do to deserve this? Why wasn't Japan divided? Screwed again.
Old November 26, 2002, 15:42   #33
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It's a minority of civs that have a one Wonder representing both traights (not counting the new Internet great wonder)

It is a guartine that if you build a Great Wonder, haven't had a Golden Age already, and now have both of your traights represented in Great Wonders you own, you will trigure a Golden Age.

Golden Ages in the Anicent Era should only be used in support of conquest and/or more wonders.

Golden Ages in the Middle Ages should usually be used in support of building infersturcture (including wonders)

Golden Ages in the Industrial Era is gnerally for amounting a vast surplus in the tresury while researching in 4 turns or in the case of Germany, conquer the world with Panzers.

Golden Ages in the Modern Era is similar to the Industrial Era, except that you get more cash but also run the risk of having the game end before your GA ends.

As the Americans I prefer having my GA with the completion of the Hoover Dam. (Build Copercusus in the middle ages)

As the Koreans, I'd recommend having the GA starting with the completion of Newton's. (So get Collosus in the ancient era because it's dificult to get both Adam's Smith & Newton's due to their timing.)

Korea was divided after WW II because of a disagreement over weather the country should be all Comunist or all Democratic.

Germany remained devided for decades because the USSR refused to unite their section with the US-French-UK quarters in the 50s.

Actually, the USSR took over a few northern islands that are still legally a part of Japan and last I heard Russia continues to illegally occuply them.
Old November 26, 2002, 16:08   #34
siredgar
Prince

It's not as simple as that.

The Russians waited for U.S. troops to arrive at the 38th Parallel. Korea had no reason to be occupied by foreign powers. It should have been liberated, not occupied. The U.S. was focusing on occupying Japan not liberating Korea and that's why the Russians arrived first. The Russians just wanted buffer states to protect their borders by creating spheres of influence. They had no intention of compromise with the Americans. Anyhow, it shouldn't have been up to the Americans and Russians to decide the fate of Korea. If it was an aggressor in the war, yes, but it wasn't.

Germany was divided by agreement between the four powers. It was the aggressor and deserved to be partitioned up. The two Germanies unified later.

Japan got away with everything. Big deal they lost a couple of small islands. They took land from Russia before anyhow. The Japanese received billions of dollars in aid and turned out to be stronger economically than ever before because they didn't have to pay for their own defense.

Who got screwed here? The Koreans.
Old November 26, 2002, 18:10   #35
Switch
Prince

Sometimes, I would just like to take control of every country, modify a bunch of borders and national practices, and then give the world back to the leaders.

Korea would be one country.
Alaska and the Pan Handle would be Canadian.

And many more. Yet I am but a puny mortal.
Old November 26, 2002, 18:38   #36
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 03:18
also, i think koreans should have been given the industrious trait
Old November 26, 2002, 20:40   #37
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Yeah, it's highly unfortunate that the Koreans get shafted in this regard. The h'wacha is actually a relatively useful unit, I would certainly at least put it somewhere in the middle of the pack, in terms of relative usefulness. However, not being able to have a golden age is just such a huge strike against playing as Korea. If anyone wants to play with a lethal land h'wacha, check out the Beta Tester Mod as Warpstorm suggested. We can only hope that balancing out the various civs is something on Firaxis' list of things to get around to one of these days.
Old November 26, 2002, 22:24   #38
Minmaster
Warlord

Local Time: 03:18
yea i did play with the BTM and only after playing for like 10 hours i realized my score wouldnt be listed in my HoF which got me real pissed cuz i was about to close out on a diety victory
Old November 27, 2002, 13:49   #39
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I'd much prefer that all of Korea be ruled by South Koreans, but unforunately, that war stalled out at aprox the 38 parallel after the first year.

As for Alaska, I want to keep that state part of the US. But, I would have no objection to the Canadians taking over all of New England, New York, eastern 1/3rd of PA, all of NJ, all of DE, and all of Maryland & DC.

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
Sometimes, I would just like to take control of every country, modify a bunch of borders and national practices, and then give the world back to the leaders.

Korea would be one country.
Alaska and the Pan Handle would be Canadian.

And many more. Yet I am but a puny mortal.
Old November 27, 2002, 14:48   #40
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 05:18
If you want to give away America, then give it back to the First Nationers that were here before anyone else.

I played my very first PtW game as Korea, and haven't too many problems without getting a GA through the UU. Other than that, the unit is awesome for its age.
Old November 27, 2002, 20:24   #41
siredgar
Prince

I'm pretty disappointed from what I'm hearing about PTW. I was tempted to pick it up today so I can play the Koreans, but I guess won't anymore. I don't have broadband and I'm not sure about how long it will take to play the game with others, so I'm not interested in the multiplayer function. Anyhow, I'll wait until there's a patch or something and the price goes down to $19.99 or less.
Old November 27, 2002, 22:07   #42
Ghengis-Sean
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:18
An option for playing Korea, is use the editor to give them a duplicate unit, say a duplicate knight, with the "starts golden age" option tagged. It's is the same as everyone elses knights, same attack, defense, movement, but only Korea can build it. So you build this unit, kill some thing and then Korea starts a golden age. There problem solved. You get a golden age, you get the Hwach'a, you maybe win a game or two.