Old November 20, 2002, 11:11   #1
Skeeve
Prince

Local Time: 07:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just finished my first PTW game - and lOST!
I am hereby assigning myself to the rank of VILLAGE IDIOT. Here's why:

I just bought PTW, and played my first game as the Romans at the Chieftan level so I could fully enjoy everything new in the expansion.

I was having a nice quiet relaxing game, stayed in first place from the getgo, due to the easy difficulty level. I easily kicked two opponents off my continent to claim the land mass for myself. Got the other 5 civs pretty upset with me, but I didn't care because they were next. (None of them even had Tanks yet)

While loading up three transports with Modern Armor and Mech Infantry, I had just completed building the United Nations. Immediately, I was asked if I wanted to hold elections for secretary general - and like an IDIOT I said 'yes'.

Well, as it turns out everyone voted for Lincoln, that goody-two-shoes, and I LOST!! ON CHIEFTAN! To remind myself of this humiliating event, I decided not to restart, and simply let the Hall of Fame record it as a loss.

So there you have it. A veteran civ player, who lost on Chieftan in his first game with the Play The World expansion.

I submit myself to your relentless and unmerciful lashings.

- Skeeve
Old November 20, 2002, 11:17   #2
Argos65987
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 06:19
Wow.

Although I do admire your decision to let the outcome remain in your Hall of Fame, shows character.

Now get back in the ring!
Old November 20, 2002, 11:39   #3
Baggio
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:19
I would load the auto-save for the previous turn!

Coz I wouldn't want to waste all my time restarting another game from scratch.

I had a similar experience when I was quite confident of winning more votes during elections(previous 2 elections were draws) but somehow after I had bribed my way to the majority with 10000 gold tributes to 5 out of 8 civs, some mysteriously turned against me even though they were "POLITE" to me........so I lost out in the votes.....

Weird....maybe they didn't care for the money in the end and had a long term plan?
Old November 20, 2002, 12:16   #4
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:19
Ah yesss, the good ol' United Nations. Anyone who hates to lose (especially the belligerent types ) always makes sure they build it and NEVER call a vote!

OTOH, If you are ready to end the game and not really concerned about who the winner is going to be, ...
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 20, 2002, 12:45   #5
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:19
Its happened to me also but on regent level.

Thats gotta hurt Skeeve, youre very brave to share this info.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 20, 2002, 13:15   #6
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:19
None of the other Civs had tanks... you've got MA and MI, and you tried for a diplomatic victory???

Diplomacy is for the weak. Civ3 rewards strength and aggression. Next time, grind your enemies beneath your tank treads and bestow upon them the enlightened form of leadership that they are too foolish to elect for themselves.

Old November 20, 2002, 13:26   #7
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Points and laughs mercilessly

Oh wait...I did the same thing, although it was on Monarch level. Built the UN, called a vote, lost by a landslide. I severely overestimated my popularity, it seems...

Old November 20, 2002, 13:36   #8
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

I've done the same thing. I thought it was very funny that time too.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old November 20, 2002, 13:38   #9
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Of course, I kept playing in my game and used my military might to wipe everyone else off the map as vengeance.

That will teach them not to vote me in as class pres--er, I mean, UN leader!
Old November 20, 2002, 13:53   #10
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:19
HaHaHa!! Just conquered Washington and the UN with it... Now clicking "raze city"... That was it, no problem any more...
Old November 20, 2002, 14:14   #11
Skeeve
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown
None of the other Civs had tanks... you've got MA and MI, and you tried for a diplomatic victory???
Yes - indeed I was not in my right mind.
However, I'll chalk it up to being anxious to start another game that is more challenging.
Old November 20, 2002, 16:33   #12
tonyhaug
Chieftain

I have done the same thing when I was playing CivIII. You live and learn that lifes a ***** and then you die!
Old November 20, 2002, 16:34   #13
tonyhaug
Chieftain

Hey, what is it with all this stupid editing. There's nothing wrong with talking about a female dag, is there???
Old November 20, 2002, 16:36   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 11:19
You weren't talking about a female dog.
Old November 20, 2002, 17:00   #15
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Re: Just finished my first PTW game - and lOST!
Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeve
I am hereby assigning myself to the rank of VILLAGE IDIOT. Here's why: [. . . .]
No shame in losing. But why oh why would you play as Rome for your first PTW game? Not itching to try a new civ out?
Old November 20, 2002, 21:07   #16
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

you should slap yourself silly and never show your face in here again for losing on chieftan level.
Old November 20, 2002, 22:09   #17
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

I feel your pain, Skeeve. Nice to see you taking it like a man.

Now set the world ablaze in retribution.
Old November 20, 2002, 23:37   #18
Iron Chancellor
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Sigh, why is this game so unlike its predecessor, SMAC? As the Peacekeepers, I always earned the love and admiration of the other factions through gifts of money, technology, and the willingness to nuke the Hive repeatedly, then burn their cities. I mean, uh, share my message of peace and love with all. Right.
Now, my strategy is thus: "Screw you guys, I'm nuking the planet and getting on my spaceship to Alpha Centauri."
Old November 21, 2002, 07:04   #19
aaglo
King

Local Time: 14:19
Propably you'll learn from the mistake...

I have to stay sharp in future games...
Old November 21, 2002, 07:07   #20
aaglo
King

Local Time: 14:19
Actually, skeeve, that was noble and honorable act from you (both calling the vote and sharing it in this community). My hat is off to you.
Old November 21, 2002, 10:46   #21
Skeeve
Prince

Thanks for the encouragement from all to "get back on the horse" as it were.

I have started a new game, trying out 'Elimination' this time.
I'm midway through the ancient era and so far, my strategy is not much different. I get VERY worried when someone gets too close to one of my cities, though!

Oh - and I only moved up to the Warlord Level. I didn't have the guts to try my first 'Elimination' game on the mid to upper levels yet.

Maybe I should have stayed on Chieftan, after that humiliating defeat.
Old November 21, 2002, 12:24   #22
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
Actually, skeeve, that was noble and honorable act from you (both calling the vote and sharing it in this community). My hat is off to you.
Couldn't said it better. to Skeeve.

To make you feel better, Skeeve, I lost my first two PtW games, too, even though they were on Monarch. The first one (as the English - I had everything at Random) was going great. I quite quickly climbed to be #1 on the ladder, successfully fending off the pesky Germans and generally doing great. Nobody would be able to lose the game... but me. After a series of unbelievably stupid, tremedously foolish political and military decisions (hubris, you know...), combined with a string of pretty bad dice-roll luck, I quite quickly became a punching bag for all my neighbours. Quitted the game in a great shame (I did let the game to record the loss in the HoF, to make me remember).

The second one (as the Japanese) was another failure, though not that embarrasing. I have been able to peacefully work my way to the first ladder place before the ancient era was over and stayed there until the end of the game (1665 AD). Sometime early in the industrial era, I must have done something terribly wrong with my research, since - all of a sudden - I realized I was 5-6 techs behind, even though I had been on par in late medieval. Since then, it was a big catch-up game. Not allowing myself to wage wars of agression, I had very difficult times, since none of my neighbours tried to blackmail me ever... no wars, no leaders, no GA... I lost the UN race and even though I just caught up (and even went ahead a bit) tech-wise at that time, 11 turns later, the game was over. So much for the peaceful way... Next time, I will not restrict myself so much...

Old November 21, 2002, 19:12   #23
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

If it'll make you feel better, I will lose MY first PtW game too.

"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. "
Old November 21, 2002, 20:59   #24
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Lesson learned:

Diplo relations *can* be much more important than you think. If ignored, the UN becomes the MOST important GW to control and diffuse.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 22, 2002, 03:06   #25
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

they shouldnt have diplomatic victory in MP, why in your right mind would you not vote for other than yourself?
Old November 22, 2002, 13:59   #26
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:19
Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
they shouldnt have diplomatic victory in MP, why in your right mind would you not vote for other than yourself?
Actually, diplomatic victory in MP would make the UN an essential wonder to have.

You don't get on the ballot if you're not one of the top ranked Civs. So, supposing that multiplayer actually gets fixed and you're able to play an eight-player game with all live opponents, only the top two or three would be eligible for the vote.

The interesting part is that if you have the UN and you call a vote, you could well end up with no clear winner. If everyone in the game is smart, each player on the ballot would vote for himself, and the remaining players would abstain.

However, I could see an instance where one or more players could be hopelessly behind the leaders and decided to cast a vote for a player that was good to them throughout the game, just to put an amicable end to a game they have no chance of winning. So, in this instance, consistently friendly diplomacy would be well advised.

Of course, if there's an AI or two in the game, all bets are off, and it's pretty much a crapshoot.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:43   #27
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:19
Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack

Couldn't said it better. to Skeeve.

To make you feel better, Skeeve, I lost my first two PtW games, too...
Could you post savegames of those. I'd like to see that...
Old November 22, 2002, 16:04   #28
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Caliban
Could you post savegames of those. I'd like to see that...
Yep, as soon as I find some spare time (later this weekend), I will go through my saves and post some for you to have a look at...
Old November 25, 2002, 22:00   #29
vondrack
lifer
Emperor

OK, here I am to fulfil my promise. A bit late, I know... I have gone through my savegames from the first PtW game (the humiliating English game), looking for breakpoint turns. Here is a brief history of that game:

Started in 4000 BC, as usually... savegame included.

From 610 BC, I had a nice defensive war with Germany - successfully holding the chokepoint East of Nottingham, killing Krauts without bleeding myself. Few turns later (570 BC), Celts made unreasonable demands and after being sent to hell, declared war on me. I immediately drew French and Spanish to my side, effectively getting rid of any Celtic threats before the war actually started. For some reason, the pitiful Joan changed her mind in 410 BC, joining Bismarck... I did not care, as she was so weak. In 290 BC, Isabella made peace with Celts, breaking our alliance. I immediately followed her example, signing a peace treaty with Brennus, even getting him as an ally against Joan. In 250 BC, I signed a peace treaty with Germans and world was just one great place to live in.

190 BC ... perhaps the beginning of my fall (savegame included). On the next turn, Spanish archers will enter my territory North of Warwick. Considering the current political situation, I had all reasons to believe they meant to sneak attack. I asked them to leave and Isabella declared war on me. I thought that since Brennus was giving Joan a tough time and Bismarck was at bay, fighting Isabella would be just fine.

Unfortunately, I commanded my units so idiotically that I soon lost the initial advantage (having swordsmen over archers) and even lost Warwick to a pretty huge stack of Spanish archers, leaving myself with almost no reserves.

In 30 BC (savegame included), Joan made a surprise landing near the undefended Coventry. That would have been just fine, if it were not for Bismarck, who joined the party. Naturally, as my enemy. After losing a horseman to the French archer near Coventry in the most foolish way, my situation quickly became dangerous. Few more turns, and my empire was crumbling... I quitted in 250 AD (the last savegame) with a pitiful force of 4 or 5 spearmen and one almost dead horse. I had no desire to watch my remaining cities inevitably falling...

Do not tell me how woeful my game was. I know. I am posting this as an example how easily you can lose a fine game if you start acting like an idiot...

I will try to post something similar for the other game, but that will probably take more time, as there are way more saves to dig through.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip ptw #1 (english).zip (402.1 KB, 2 views)
Old November 25, 2002, 22:52   #30
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What was they said on wide world of sports? The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. Now its on to the next episode.