Old November 20, 2002, 14:25   #1
Ben Williams
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great library
I just built the great library on emperor and then stopped all science spending, thinking I'd let the AI drag me up to education. But there seems to be very little progress, and yes, I've made contact with many civs. Is the AI being slow because I'm not investing in science (I know I can't keep up with them on this difficulty level without having many more cities)? Is this a stragety other people use, does it work?
Old November 20, 2002, 17:34   #2
aahz_capone
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesApolyton UniversityDiplomacy
Prince

Local Time: 12:19
I did this once where it took ages to get anywhere.

Usually the AI trades like mofos so I get dragged quickly, but sometimes not dependingt on 2 reasons.

1: The AI doesn't know each other (because your on an achipeligo world). This situation I try to foster to give me time to build lots and sell lots at disgusting prices.

2: They are all tied up in war with each other and can't afford to research. There are always a few civs that never bother to research anyway (like japan) perhaps you by chance are only playing with these civs?
Old November 20, 2002, 18:40   #3
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:19
The one problem with the GL tactic is when only one civ is strong and the rest are farther behind. I have run into this a few times. In this case you will not be "dragged" along as only one civ knows a given advance for awhile. The big dog does not trade techs often in this scenario as there is nothing to be gained.