Old November 23, 2002, 02:02   #91
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Actually the American Revolution was funded by Jews. Without them we would never have been able to fund Washington's army long enough to win French support.
Dr. Strangelove, I didn't know this. They really must have had it in for the Brits for the expulsion of the late 1200's. Was there any other motivation?

The Jews did something similar in 117 when the Romans conquered Mesopotamia. They financed a Jewish revolt in North Africa that caused the Romans to withdraw their legions from Mesopotamia in order to quell the revolt.

Also, when the Visigoths began to forceably convert the Jews of Spain, they called in their brothers, the Berber/Jews from Africa, who with Arab reinforcements, took Spain.
Old November 23, 2002, 02:06   #92
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 11:23
Quote:
Dr Strangelove was incorrect, France supplied far more men to the Allies then it ever did to Germany, the Vichy forces never served Germany, in fact in North Africa they would be the backbone of an army 250,000 strong that fought extrely well in Italy, southern and eastern france (and fough more effectivly then the Brits or Yanks for that matter).
Thanks for the backup on that issue.

Although I'm not so sure about your claim that the Free French fought more effectively than the US Army.
Old November 23, 2002, 03:01   #93
Serb
Emperor

Local Time: 18:23
Sure, how those frog-eaters could fought better then super-mega-uber-heroes... an Americans?
Right?
Old November 23, 2002, 03:13   #94
David Floyd
Emperor

Serb, don't talk about subjects you know little about.

I'm not attacking the Red Army, so extend the same courtesy to the American Army and look at the actual issue
Old November 23, 2002, 03:22   #95
Serb
Emperor

Quote:
I'm not attacking the Red Army,
"I believe in general shitness of Russian army throughout history" .
David Floyd.

Old November 23, 2002, 03:37   #96
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 13:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Also, when the Visigoths began to forceably convert the Jews of Spain, they called in their brothers, the Berber/Jews from Africa, who with Arab reinforcements, took Spain.
Or at least so told the medieval spanish chroniclers in order to justify several pogromes.
Old November 23, 2002, 03:38   #97
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
"I believe in general shitness of Russian army throughout history" .
David Floyd.
Sorry, I don't recall saying that in quite those terms.

And even if I did, it has absolutely no bearing on the subject at hand.
Old November 23, 2002, 03:39   #98
David Floyd
Emperor

Oh, and the proof that that isn't a direct quote is that I wouldn't use the term "shitness". It's not a real word, and my command of my own language is a bit better than that. Sorry, try again, serb.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:03   #99
Serb
Emperor

Oh, you've quite a short memory David. You've said exactly those words (and btw, forced me to make search on dictionary.com for word "shitness". I'm still have no idea what do you mean when you've used this word. I could only guess.) and in your next post in that thread you've explained where it sucked, how it sucked and when it sucked. I don't remember the name of that thread, but there you've said that Russians will lose to GB, I said that you should abandon kickboxing, then you said what you've said.
Do you remember now?

Ok, lets stop this threadjack before it turns into another DF and all, all, all vs. Serb.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:15   #100
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Did Austria kick in and help Germany pay reparations to the Jews and others it killed and stole from?
Well, we already started in the 50s, but all went too slow and many claims were delayed. The US didn't care much because they wanted our economy to get up on its feet soon. Then there was a shameful lethargy and nothing happened for a long time until in the 80s discussion began to rise again. In the 90s, Austria started to work harder on solving its past and restitutions were made, not only to Jes but e.g. also for East Europeans who worked in forced labour - this was even done under the right wing gov. 2 years ago.
Right now, it's national doctrine that the state of Austria was a victim (as the Anschluß was forcefully) but Austrians have a responsbility for what they did in those times.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:26   #101
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Oh, you've quite a short memory David. You've said exactly those words (and btw, forced me to make search on dictionary.com for word "shitness". I'm still have no idea what do you mean when you've used this word. I could only guess.)
Sorry. "Shitness" is just not a word I would use, unless I was quoting you. You use it quite often.

Quote:
and in your next post in that thread you've explained where it sucked, how it sucked and when it sucked.
Well, there are plenty of examples

Quote:
but there you've said that Russians will lose to GB, I said that you should abandon kickboxing, then you said what you've said.
Do you remember now?
I remember you saying that my kickboxing wouldn't help me against a drunk Russian. I don't recall saying that Great Britain would beat Russia (although up to 1945, that would probably be quite accurate).
Old November 23, 2002, 07:10   #102
Serb
Emperor

I HATE YOU FLOYD.
I've spend TWO hours digging in archives, just to prove that you are lying.
I knew my memory still serves me well. That's how it started:

DF: Russia? Their conventional military would probably lose against Britain or Germany - maybe even France.

Serb: David, You’ve been hit in your head too often. You should abandon kickboxing as soon as possible before you become a complete idiot.
Two pages later:

DF: "My point is the historical shittiness of the Russian/Soviet military."

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...&pagenumber=13

Is it refresh your memory?

P.S. I have nothing to do anyway and archives could be a damn interesting reading.
Old November 23, 2002, 07:37   #103
Lars-E
Warlord

Local Time: 12:23
Quote:
The collaborators were Croatia and the scandinavian countries.
When the Germans invaded Norway they wanted to get hold of the royal family and the government, but they managed to escape to England. From Britain the Norwegian government fought the Nazi occupation. During the war the Norwegian resistance sabotaged and fought the Nazis. But the military capability could not compete with the German warmachine.

The action at Rjukan is ONE well-known example. (It's even in the pc-game "Medal of Honor"). Nazi Germany may possibly have produced nuclear weapons if it were not for the Norwegians.

Sweden btw, received Norwegians resistance fighters and Jews. Some Norwegians went to Sweden and then to England where they coordinated their efforts with the allies.

How you turn these historical facts into collaboration is history falsification at best.
Old November 23, 2002, 13:31   #104
Guardian
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Azazel, I stand, as always, in utter readiness to accept and concede to any fact.

When someone says that Norway didn't colaborate with the Nazis in its shameful history, I cannot, will not, and my conscience won't let me accept it.
What, you mean to tell us that you have a conscience?!

Well, congratulations, I guess.

-And congratulations on almost managing to piss me off with your pathetic little trolls.

As you know, the real trolls live in the Norwegian mountains, and they could eat you for lunch any day of the week. -Or perhaps not... if you yourself taste as foul as your posts, then I'd say your probably pretty safe from them. Have a nice life...
Old November 23, 2002, 13:40   #105
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 06:23
Serb and David Floyd...

CHILL... stop your petty bickering and threadjacking.

I don't care who started it, but I'm ending it right now.

The next one of you that continues this ANYWHERE in these forums is going to get restricted.

YOU GOT THAT...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh... and after looking through some of the other posts here, EVERYBODY SHOULD CHILL!
Old November 23, 2002, 13:41   #106
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:23
Considering this thread is nothing but a poor troll meant to arouse such hostilities, I'm amazed it has remained open anyway, especially with certain parties calling others "little nazi bastards." WTF?
Old November 23, 2002, 17:52   #107
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars-E
When the Germans invaded Norway they wanted to get hold of the royal family and the government, but they managed to escape to England. From Britain the Norwegian government fought the Nazi occupation. During the war the Norwegian resistance sabotaged and fought the Nazis. But the military capability could not compete with the German warmachine.

The action at Rjukan is ONE well-known example. (It's even in the pc-game "Medal of Honor"). Nazi Germany may possibly have produced nuclear weapons if it were not for the Norwegians.

Sweden btw, received Norwegians resistance fighters and Jews. Some Norwegians went to Sweden and then to England where they coordinated their efforts with the allies.

How you turn these historical facts into collaboration is history falsification at best.

Well, I could make similar points for Austria too. There was an Austrian Corps in the British army, some Austrian politicians went to Sweden into exile, there were several exile-governments...
Anyhow, it would be interesting how large and extensive Norwegian resistance against the Nazis was.
Old November 23, 2002, 20:03   #108
Viking Berserk
Chieftain

shame nations of ww2:

the norwegian goverment for giving up the fight and fleeing to england.

germany- self explained

austria (surrender without force)

sweden (trading with germany)

britain (mining our coast so the germans attacked us)

usa (bombs in hiroshima and nagasaki)

japan- self explained

finnland (allies of germany)

italy (allies of germany)
Old November 23, 2002, 20:10   #109
Viking Berserk
Chieftain

by the way, those southern norwegians surrendered very fast. it was up here in northern norway they fought for their lives at Narvik. Though the germans had alot more than us. my grandfathers was at narvik.
Old November 23, 2002, 20:11   #110
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:23
Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd Thanks for the backup on that issue.
It is fact, people hate the French, I don't care for the modern kind myself, but history is about fact, not what I personally like.

Quote:
Although I'm not so sure about your claim that the Free French fought more effectively than the US Army.
Read any history of the war in Italy, the French where tough moutain fighters, the US didn't even have a single moutain division till late in the war.

The US and Britsh way was unsuited to Italy.

The same is true of Southern France, the Rhone valley and the area around Colmar, rough terrain, and the French were masters here.

It must also be remembered these French were tough life-long professionals, not the reserves called up hastily in 1939, these units were the heart of the French Empire, tough Goumirs from North Africa, battlehardened Legioners, lead by expert officers.
The US army had some professionals, but was basically an army that relied on arty and airpower, the French relied on manpower.
The Brits, though more professional then the US, in Italy were a colection of Imperial forces and exile formations, and quality varied greatly from unit to unit.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:20   #111
Ned
King

Chris, I hadn't heard very much about the French in WWII, except that de Gaulle led the allies into Paris.

I also heard that the Poles were extremely good fighters both in Itally and in France.

Last edited by Ned; November 24, 2002 at 01:55.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:21   #112
Ned
King

As to the Austrian Corps in the British Army - I never heard of this either. Did they see any action?
Old November 23, 2002, 21:26   #113
molly bloom
King

Local Time: 21:23
Some figures for the destruction of European Jewry by the Germans in occupied countries, expressed as a percentage of the 1939 population figures:

Norway: 38%

Greece: 81%

Denmark 1%

Netherlands/Belgium/Luxembourg: 56%

Bulgaria 0%

Yugoslavia 80%

Either the Germans occupying Greece were more efficient than those occupying Norway, or, well who knows?

I worked with one of the survivors of the Thessaloniki Jewish community exiled in Great Britain. He was at a music recital at the Hellenic Centre in Marylebone, and his daughter was playing the violin. He overheard a woman in the audience say (in Greek) about his, and his daughter's surname:

'That's not a very Greek name- what's she doing
playing here? '

This afforded him great amusement, especially as he was a patriotic Greek, passionate about Hellenic art and culture, and an expert on the architecture of ancient Greece and the Byzantine world. Of course, he had been exiled by the fascist xenophobic Colonels' regime after the assassination of Grigoris Lambrakis- an event which took place just down the road from his office.

The irony of his surviving German occupation but being exiled by his own country's army did not escape him.
As Euripides says:

'There is no greater sorrow on earth than the loss of one's native land.'

I don't know what you're talking about by international law. G.W. Bush, 12/03
Old November 23, 2002, 21:39   #114
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 06:23
It's nice to see this turned back into a discussion vs the insult fest it was before.

This is just an additional warning that if anybody drags this thread down to the personal level again, they will be restricted with no warning.

So keep it a civil discussion...
Old November 24, 2002, 00:21   #115
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Chris, I had heard very much about the French in WWII, except that de Gaulle led the allies into Paris.
By the war's end the French would have a million men under arms, the French resistance was renamed the FFI (French forces of the Interior) and were considered part of the Army.
France had enough forces to form a genuine Army (Southern sector of Alsace/Lorraine, near Mulhouse), French forces were the first to cross the Rhine, and the first into Germany.
All of this was why the US insisted France be given an occupation zone and a seat on the Nurmenberg tribunal (so we have only ourselves to blame that those pesky French are still vexing us to this day ).

Quote:
I also heard that the Poles were extremely good fighters both in Itally and in France.
They actually took the famous abby of Monte Casino.
The poles in Italy were mostly freed from Soviet prisons after the Nazi invasion of Russia, and this army became enraged when the Katyn massacre was discovered (The Soviets murdered several thousand Polish officers in a forrest in belarus), these units also suffered from severe moral problems after the failed Warsaw uprising in 1944.
Britain organized a Polish armored division and a para brigade for the western front, and both fought well.

Quote:
As to the Austrian Corps in the British Army - I never heard of this either. Did they see any action?
Britain used German jews in the western dessert as commandoes (This was portrayed in the fictional movie "Tobruk" with George Peppard and Rock Hudson), but I don't recall any organized formation of regular troops (There may have been, I just don't remember hearing of such a thing).
Old November 24, 2002, 00:29   #116
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Read any history of the war in Italy, the French where tough moutain fighters, the US didn't even have a single moutain division till late in the war.

The US and Britsh way was unsuited to Italy.

The same is true of Southern France, the Rhone valley and the area around Colmar, rough terrain, and the French were masters here.
OK, I understand what you are saying...I thought you were saying that units such as the French 2nd Armored under Leclerc outfought equivalent US units in that sector. I'd agree that the French alpine troops were superior, but I'd disagree with a statement saying French armor and other units operating further north were superior.
Old November 24, 2002, 04:05   #117
Wernazuma III
Emperor

In my bad military history knowledge I've made the Austrian allied troops bigger than they were...

However, here's a text about Austrian allied troops found at: http://www.geocities.com/kumbayaaa/austrianallies.html

Austria is seldomly treated as a separate entity among the nations of the world during WWII. Mostly, this is the case because it was swallowed up by Germany in March 1938, and thus had no separate existence during the war. Out of exactly the same reason, people normally lump Austria and all Austrians with the Germans in WWII matters. However, there were also Austrians present on the other side of the front, in the Allied ranks. Here I have collected what I have so far found on them. Given the obscurity of the matter, I have not been able to track them as such, but only the units they were formed into.

With the US Army

In the US Army, the Austrians were present in a number of places (several hundred thousands of people of Austrian descent were in the US), but only one unit was ever raised: the 101st Infantry Battalion (Separate). Apparently using immigrants from Austria itself, not just having ties to the country (like the Nisei - US-born Japanese - in the 442nd Infantry Regiment), it was formed on 15 December 1942 at Camp Atterbury, Indiana.
It was planned to use it as a reservoir of German-speaking agents to the OSS (Office of Strategic Services, the wartime US intelligence), and after the war to use it as an occupation unit.
The number of men in the battalion seems not to have been able to reach establishment, at least it is mentioned as a weak battalion. This may have been due to transfers out of the unit to the OSS, but I have no information on that. Anyway it is, the battalion was inactivated again on 27 May 1943, still at Camp Atterbury, Indiana.

With the British Army

It is known for certain, that Austrians were present in the Special Services Brigade, better known as the Commandos. There, 10th (Inter-Allied) Commando was formed on 2July 1942 with 10 companies (or troops), one of which (7th (or "X") Troop, contained enemy nationalities like Germans, Hungarians, Italians and......Austrians. With the expansion and reorganisation of the Commando Forces HQ, 10th Commando, and along with it 7th Troop, became part of 4th Special Services Brigade, until relieved from it in April 1944. I have no info on where the personnel went after that.

With the Yugoslav Army

Finally, closest to Austria itself, the Yugoslav Partisans formed a number of Austrian battalions, only one of whom (the 1st) saw anything like prolonged combat. It was formed on 24 November 1944 in Slovenia from 120 men, 20 of which had been flown in specially from Moscow to help form the unit. It didnt see its first combat until 19 January 1945, and after that fought in a number of defensive battles, as the Axis forces tried to crush the Yugoslav 7th Corps.
As the main frontline neared the battalion in April and May 1945, it took part in a number of attacks on German and Domobran (Slovene Home Defence) posts, and finally ended up at Feldbach in Austria. After that, the battalion went to Vienna, to join the other 4 volunteer battalions of the Yugoslav Army. Men from all the battalions volunteered into the security forces of the new, temporary, Austrian government.
You can see a more detailed history of the 1st Austrian Battalion of the Yugoslav army here.
Old November 24, 2002, 08:07   #118
Hurricane
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Viking Berserk
shame nations of ww2:

the norwegian goverment for giving up the fight and fleeing to england.

germany- self explained

austria (surrender without force)

sweden (trading with germany)

britain (mining our coast so the germans attacked us)

usa (bombs in hiroshima and nagasaki)

japan- self explained

italy (allies of germany)
Every single nation would be a "shame nation" with your reasoning.

- What about Switzerland, which accepted Nazi gold?
- What about Soviet, which ruthlessly killed or deported its own citizens? Which invaded Finland and swallowed the Baltic countries and parts of Poland?
- What about Denmark, which didn't even try to fight the German invaders?
- What about Spain, which accepted Nazi aid in its civil war?
- What about Romania, Cehczoslovakia and Hungary, allies of Germany?
- What about the whole of South America, which egoistically stayed neutral instead of fighting the Nazi menace?

And so on...
Old November 24, 2002, 08:18   #119
Stefu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Finland was never an ally of Germany. It was Germany's co-belligerent.
"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
"That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world
Old November 24, 2002, 11:17   #120
Viking Berserk
Chieftain

lol? they were allies of germany.
so were italy and japan.