Old November 21, 2002, 17:59   #1
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Game spins CD after every turn
This only happens on one of my PC's... it seems that at the start of each turn, the game spins up the CD rom, and reads from it.

This also happens whenever I start a diplomatic negotiation.

This is rather annoying, as it slows the game considerably. Is this a known bug, and is there a workaround for it?

Thanks!
Old November 21, 2002, 19:25   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:24
I understand why the game spins up the CD Rom at the beginning of a diplomatic negotiation - mainly because of the leader head portrates...I guess the same thing can be said for the start of each turn. I doubt that there is a work-around for this though, except maybe turning off animations.
Old November 22, 2002, 01:45   #3
Carver
Prince

Local Time: 05:24
CD spinning blows, although with me it only happens occassionally when initiating extortion ...I mean diplomacy. I'm thinking this has something to do with RAM limits. How much do you have?
Old November 22, 2002, 06:33   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 12:24
Just a couple of hints:

- did you installed the full game (max storage used)? If not, of course the game will access to CD to load graphics and sounds left on it. (I know, my suggestion seems like that leaflet for problem solving given with any domestic electric appliance: The Product doesn't work- Answer: Is it plugged to electric power? )

- can be a side effect of the Anti-Piracy protection? You can't install it from a "borrowed" CD and play without original CD in place, because every now and then the protection check for it.

Oh well, I hope it will help you
Old November 22, 2002, 13:28   #5
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:24
Like Carver, my CD sometimes spins, almost always when I seek to initiate diplomacy. This has been true for me for as long as I can remember. I have 128 MB RAM.

CD spinning on every turn would suck.

Catt
Old November 22, 2002, 13:49   #6
FNBrown
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith
Just a couple of hints:

- did you installed the full game (max storage used)? If not, of course the game will access to CD to load graphics and sounds left on it. (I know, my suggestion seems like that leaflet for problem solving given with any domestic electric appliance: The Product doesn't work- Answer: Is it plugged to electric power? )

- can be a side effect of the Anti-Piracy protection? You can't install it from a "borrowed" CD and play without original CD in place, because every now and then the protection check for it.

Oh well, I hope it will help you
No, I have a legit copy of the game - and, I don't recall there being an option to install the game any other way than a full install.

I have 256MB RAM on this PC.
Old November 22, 2002, 15:02   #7
ToeTruck
Warlord

Local Time: 06:24
I, too, have found that the CD sometimes spins at the start of the turn, but I don't think the app needs the CD to be in the whole game. I believe the app only does the protection check when it starts up.

Try taking the CD out after the main menu screen first appears. Or hit eject and then reload the CD. That's what I do if I get extra CD spinning. It seems to go away after that.

This was true before PTW, BTW.

-TT
Old November 22, 2002, 15:09   #8
FNBrown
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by ToeTruck
I, too, have found that the CD sometimes spins at the start of the turn, but I don't think the app needs the CD to be in the whole game. I believe the app only does the protection check when it starts up.

Try taking the CD out after the main menu screen first appears. Or hit eject and then reload the CD. That's what I do if I get extra CD spinning. It seems to go away after that.

This was true before PTW, BTW.

-TT
Won't work... the game freaks out and I get a dialogue pop-up saying the CD is not in the drive. It didn't do this for Civ3... only PTW.
Old November 22, 2002, 16:11   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:24
my cd never spins once game is up and running.... well other than windows randomly spinning the cd if u keep the comp on for looong time
Old November 23, 2002, 18:00   #10
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 12:24
Quote:
Originally posted by FNBrown

No, I have a legit copy of the game - and, I don't recall there being an option to install the game any other way than a full install.
Duh! Sorry, I didn't suggested you are using a pirated copy.
I suggested that checking for CD is the protection method developed to avoid illegal use of CD: as usual, anti-piracy methods do more harm to legit users than professional pirate.

I can't eject the CD and store it safely or insert a CD audio instead, to enjoy different music background: OK, I know that official workaround is to play music from an HiFi rack, but that's not the topic of this thread.

I'll stay with my two previous opinions: a limited install (if it's possible: you seems to exclude it), or the game protection at work...