Old November 21, 2002, 21:39   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 07:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Team Collaboration Thread
Okay, as time runs down, there are a few things that need to go on between teams.

On that note, do all teams support my idea of long-ago about holding a sort of turnchat between all the teams (a representative from each team to play the game) on December 1st (or the start date, should it change) to cycle through the first 10 or so turns.

This may be one of the only ways to speed up the early part of the game... However, it will require a lot of work between teams to make sure a representative from every team shows up to the chat, otherwise the whole thing is pointless...
Old November 21, 2002, 21:54   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:24
I think it depends on the day and date for the interteam turnchat. But I definitely support the plan.
Old November 21, 2002, 22:02   #3
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:24
I can not personally make it one the weekdays, only at night during weekdays, but I will try and get a vp to come if I cant make it.
Old November 21, 2002, 22:07   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Ideally these would be on the weekends (for as long as is practical... two or three times... at some point there will be too much to do each turn to wait on every team).
Old November 21, 2002, 22:20   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

In principle, yes. But not prior to 3pm EST on Dec 1.

Where are all the players?

Ideally on weekends? Nothing but weekends for something like this. The Civ3DG got going in the summer with a lot of students. Turn chats sounded like a good idea to most. I do not support repeating that mistake with this game.
Old November 22, 2002, 00:17   #6
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I am sure that my team could have a representative play the first 10 turns in rapid succession

Jon Miller
Old November 22, 2002, 00:19   #7
Jon Shafer

From what I've seen, these teams (semi-officially) are able to attend the 10-turn kickoff turnchat:

Lux Invicta
Legoland
Gathering Storm
'Jon Miller's Team'
Old November 22, 2002, 00:21   #8
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

I don't know about turn chatt...

Jon Miller
Old November 22, 2002, 00:24   #9
Jon Shafer

The 'turnchat' will be a meeting of each team's representative in the/a chatroom so that each rep can quickly notify the next one that the save is on the way. Otherwise, I'm not sure how we'll be able to move things along as fast (and we won't be able to know for sure that each team is present).
Old November 22, 2002, 00:25   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I propose that we refer to Jon Miller's team as "Miller Time".
Old November 22, 2002, 09:16   #11
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 06:24
or at least refer to the period where they have the E-mail as "Miller Time". "Sent Email, it is now Miller Time 3750BC"
Old November 22, 2002, 15:35   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We could use a thread here. No one posts in it except the players. Each posts once that a turn is sent. No one else posts anything in that thread until we are done.

Some people don't IRC.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:06   #13
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I'm commited to the plan to have us all ready and able to do several turns together ... I'm not 100% sure when I will be available on Dec 1.

As that weekend is "Thanksgiving Weekend" here in the United States, I'm heading out to visit my mother and will either be back late Saturday night or sometime Sunday afternoon. Travel plans have not yet been finalized. I'll post here whem they are.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 22, 2002, 23:47   #14
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

About Turnchat:

I suggest we cycle thru the very first turn BEFORE we engage in turnchat.. that way the memebr of teams can assess the enviornment and can make a 10-20 turn domestic plans for the worker. Exploration unfourtunately will have be left for members attending the turnchat, but it would nice to at least enter turnchat knowing what your immediate surrounding is so we can prepare it and move rapidly during chat.
Old November 23, 2002, 01:02   #15
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I'm commited to the plan to have us all ready and able to do several turns together ... I'm not 100% sure when I will be available on Dec 1.
And I can't really back you up on that one for sure either... I'll be out of town from November 29th through sometime at least around mid-day on December 1st (going to visit my younger brother in Indiana).
Old November 23, 2002, 01:40   #16
notyoueither
Deity

Well, if all the players are in North America, later should not be an issue.
Old November 23, 2002, 01:41   #17
notyoueither
Deity

... but not too much later. I have many Euros in my band. I do not want to deprive them of a voice in the crucial first couple of turns.
Old November 23, 2002, 01:58   #18
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:24
What would mean a little later in GMT??

(sorry, not as used to time-zones as you are, confuses the hell out of me )
thanks
Old November 23, 2002, 02:04   #19
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Hello? anyone hearing me out? I suggest we start the game and do one turn beforewe do turnchat... I feel so unappreciated..

lol
Old November 23, 2002, 02:23   #20
GeneralTacticus
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMPtWDG RoleplayNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 22:24
I agree with you...
Old November 23, 2002, 03:42   #21
notyoueither
Deity

3 EST is 8 GMT.

... and starting early so that each team has at least 12 hours with turn 1 would be a good idea too.
Old November 23, 2002, 04:29   #22
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

3 EST? Prolly too early, but I understand the European issue.

We'll have to see if anyone from the Role-play team with a copy of PTW can make that, as that time looks to be too early for Togas or I
Old November 23, 2002, 04:59   #23
notyoueither
Deity

Well, 5 would be 10 GMT. I can do that. Most of my team could do that. Much later though...
Old November 23, 2002, 11:40   #24
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

10 GMT would mean 11 PM for most of the Euros in your team, NYE... not a big deal, but considering that even if it 'speeds along', it will most likely take over 5 hours to get 10 turns done with all teams, you will lose a few of us. But then again, not all of us Europeans should be present anyway, if we could make the start, I'm sure all teams can live with decreased European support.

As to posting the intial safe early: is there a way so that everyone can have it at the same time? Otherwise 12 hours per team would mean an extra delay of 3-4 days... maybe better to decide in front what to do in certain situations, and react quickly on the first turn to get this going. Besides, you only need to set the first worker action in turn 1, after which you will have some time to plan the next one...

DeepO
Old November 23, 2002, 16:15   #25
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Calc II
Hello? anyone hearing me out? I suggest we start the game and do one turn beforewe do turnchat... I feel so unappreciated..

lol
Good point there.

What does everyone think about playing a turn FIRST on Saturaday, November 30th, then having the turnchat on Sunday the 1st? That would help each team out as far as being able to set up some plans for the first turnchat (instead of the rep going in blind with no orders, and the rest of the team not knowing what's going on until 10+ turns are completed).
Old November 23, 2002, 16:30   #26
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'd suggest we start the game Wednesday instead. It will give the teams more time to discuss their early strategy, and will also give more time if a restart is needed.
Old November 23, 2002, 16:40   #27
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Wednesday is not a good day for me to start the game, for me the weekends would be best.
But I wish we could push the start date back. In the Legoland team we have a lot to do still.
Old November 23, 2002, 16:44   #28
Jon Shafer

Jack's right. If we're going to do a turnchat, then it ought to be on a weekend.

As far starting the game's 1st turn at a different date, moving it FORWARD would be a bad situation (most teams aren't ready yet), moving it back seems to be unacceptable to a lot of people.
Old November 23, 2002, 18:39   #29
notyoueither
Deity

Why don't we start on Dec 1 as normal. Each team gets a day with turn 1. Then we can meet on the 8th for an accelerated session.

That gets us past the American holiday, gives each team time with turn 1, and sticks to the schedule.
Old November 23, 2002, 18:46   #30
Jon Shafer

That sounds acceptable.