Old March 7, 2003, 11:08   #61
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i've often seen AI scouts crossing jungles, hill- or mountain-ranges, or following the tundra north coast. i presume the AI tries to maximize the amount of known tiles per turn and not for the fastest exploration.

btw, has anyone found the "logic" of goody huts? i happen to always miss them (that single black tiles has a hut ). and sometimes vast areas are empty, and then the group of 1-tile-islands has a lot of them. is the placement completely random?
Old March 7, 2003, 11:09   #62
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

and another question: someone said, that on huge pangea maps the first unit-builds are all scouts.

do you start with the granary first? or first a bunch of scouts and then the granary?
Old March 7, 2003, 13:20   #63
Bamspeedy
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:25
sabrewolf - If you want to study how the AI uses it's scouts, then just use auto-explore (the 'e' key on your keyboard) for your scouts, and your scout will do just like the computer would use it. An automated scout won't always try to end it's turn on mountains for max range, and will tread through jungles sometimes when he could have gone farther by staying on flat ground. There seems to be some randomness in which direction it goes. And they will eventually want to uncover every last tile (even water tiles), so you may have scouts running in circles, or scouts treading back in through that big jungle, just to get to see 1 sea tile some other scout forgot to uncover.
Old March 8, 2003, 03:07   #64
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 07:25
Hey, its Bamspeedy....Welcome to Apolyton!

It seems to me that the AI builds only a few scouts and sends them in one direction until it reaches a coastline or reaches a cultural border. I have often had early contact with an AI scout and later find a goody hut just a few tiles outside their cultural borders. The AI rarely uses maximum movement in order to discover unknown tiles it will rarely move a tile and then move to higher ground.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old April 26, 2003, 18:02   #65
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 12:25
Another superb thread from Aeson.
(Makes me wanna fire up an expansionist game, but I've got AU302 behind my browser and I only popped into Poly an hour ago to look something up)

Quote:
Originally posted by Yahweh Sabaoth
Does anyone know any tricks for expansionist civs to "out-scout" other expansionists?

You could kill their scouts ...

... or, what I have found playing expansionist with other expansionists around is that if all trade the techs from huts with each other, you collectively get a larger tech lead over the non-exps than you would as a sole exp.
Old April 27, 2003, 08:47   #66
jayhawk
Settler

Local Time: 11:25
I never get to start with a scout. Are only certain civilizations allowed to begin with one?
Old April 27, 2003, 08:54   #67
sabrewolf
Emperor

jayhawK: only expansionistic civs (russian, english, american, iroquios, and others) get the scout...
Old April 27, 2003, 09:02   #68
jayhawk
Settler

I never get to start with a scout. Are only certain civilizations allowed to begin with one?
Old April 27, 2003, 09:12   #69
jayhawk
Settler

Thanks Sabrewolf.