Old November 22, 2002, 14:09   #1
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 06:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PreAmendment Discussion- Election Tie breaking procedure
Ok, obviously we have to decide this issue before the next election, so here's the idea. Lets spend the next 2 weeks hammering out the amedment, then lets vote on it.
Aggie
Old November 22, 2002, 14:20   #2
jdjdjd
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy Game
Prince

OK, here's my suggestion, actually based on DAVOUT's, posted in sheik's Domestic Minister thread.

1. First tie breaker is Date Registered as listed in the user profile. The most senior member of the website is the winner.

2. As a back up in the strange event both joined the website the same day, then its number of posts/day. Thats listed in parentheses next to the Total Posts in the profile.

These tiebreakers are unbiased and uncontested, and can be viewed and the tie decided in seconds instead of days. And this can apply to all ties, two-way, three-way, and so on.

This gives favoritism to the more senior member, if you do not like that then flip flop the above, then it favors the most active member. Either way these can not be left to human error or influence, as RPS and flip a coin can; or to politicizing the tie breaking as leaving it to Minsters, Presidents or the Court could.

One final note, the tie breakers I suggest make the tie breaking instantaneous.

Last edited by jdjdjd; November 22, 2002 at 14:48.
Old November 22, 2002, 14:32   #3
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

and my sugestion from the previous thread

Two civs, elimination, tiny map, accelerated production, simultaneous mode

in the rare chance of a tie, why not make it interesting?
Old November 22, 2002, 15:03   #4
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 03:26
Let's send it to the U.S Supreme Court. We can be sure they're objective.
Old November 22, 2002, 15:57   #5
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Local Time: 05:26
Paper Rock Scissors, or Pick a Number.

I don't feel giving preference to people for post counts or tenure is a fair way to judge an election.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 22, 2002, 16:25   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Whatever we do, the Court SHOULD NOT be given leeway to do whatever they feel like. I respect the current members of the Court, but I also believe that politicizing the Court by allowing them to choose (because nothing is preventing them from it) to VOTE among themselves on a winner would corrupt the Court's impartiality.

I do not want Justices voting, AS THE COURT, to decide elections... it's a perversion of the Court's intended purpose and can easily lead to an erosion of universal respect for the Court. It could also overly politicize the appointment of Justices, something which Apolytonia has been thankfully spared so far...

Having the Court VERIFY a process that it does not control is perfectly fine. Having POLITICAL FIGURES decide the political outcome is fine. They may be partisan and they might pick the side they want to win, but it's more acceptable for them to do so because it doesn't corrupt or pervert a critical element of their position. They can booted out of office by the next term if people didn't like their choice (along with the guy he picked). But having the Court, an explicitly non-political body, delve into making a political decision, WILL have the impact of politicizing the Court. Regardless of who the Court picks, they're making a political decision that will have a negative impact upon respect for the Court from at least some segment of the citizenship (if not most of it)... Regardless of the justification they use for their decision, it's still a POLITICAL decision and, in effect, the final vote in a political election campaign. I'm honestly confused at how the justices fail to see that as potentially dangerous for the Court's impartiality...
Old November 22, 2002, 16:45   #7
jdjdjd
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph

Randolph, Oh, I was wondering what you meant the first time through....let them play the game. That would be pretty cool...can they get a game done PBEM with a couple of days, though?

Un, we have to reward someone, so why not someone who is more active or more senior, in the rare case of a tie? why would it have to be completely random? so long as its not political or a decision by one or several people, using posts/day and register date is set in stone at the time of the closing of the poll and can immediately determine the winner.
Old November 22, 2002, 17:15   #8
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

I just don't like it. Can't put it in words, it just doesn't feel right to me. The 'tiebreaker' would be known even before elecitons, I could see where that may discourage a newer member, or a member that is one of the infamous lurkers, to not run when they otherwise would.

I ask you, what is wrong with it being random? Put it in the hands of the almighty Banana.

btw, it is a very good concept to have them play an elimination PTW game, but not feasible. Not everyone even has PTW, let alone a highspeed connection to play simultaneous turns. Love the idea otherwise, though.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old November 22, 2002, 17:24   #9
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

How about the automatic tiebreaker beeing who ever has writen the FEWEST posts?

(This would give new people an edge)
Old November 22, 2002, 17:58   #10
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I agree with Arnelos, and UnOrthO.

Specify the tie is to be broken by a contest based on chance. The court can supervise and announce the winner.

It is simple. It is quick (relatively). It would be done.
Old November 22, 2002, 18:02   #11
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The only question remaining would be whether it is preferred that the court first total the number of registered citizen votes to see if, in fact, the rightful electors had made a decision.
Old November 22, 2002, 18:24   #12
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 12:26
Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
I just don't like it. Can't put it in words, it just doesn't feel right to me. The 'tiebreaker' would be known even before elecitons, I could see where that may discourage a newer member, or a member that is one of the infamous lurkers, to not run when they otherwise would.

I ask you, what is wrong with it being random? Put it in the hands of the almighty Banana.
You, a journalist, you cannot put in words something that does not feel right to you ! I am really puzzled.

As for the argument regarding the new members, it does not hold water, particularly when the tie braker will be written in the law.

The only serious argument is that the democracy can not make decision based on random choice. Any pre-establish criteria is better than a random choice; democracy is not foot-ball, but even in foot-ball, after a draw, the winner is not chosen at random.
Old November 22, 2002, 18:40   #13
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph

Sounds good. So they don't have to play the whole game and possibly take forever, we should see whose score is highest in 1000 BC.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old November 22, 2002, 18:40   #14
notyoueither
Deity

A shoot out is fairly random...
Old November 22, 2002, 18:48   #15
civman2000
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesDiplomacyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Yes, but it's the only idea that directly involves skill rather than just chance or seniority or other such things.

"This should be the question they ask you before you get to vote. If you answer 'no', then they brand you with a giant red 'I' on your forehead and you are forever barred from taking part in the electoral process again."--KrazyHorse
"I'm so very glad KH is Canadian."--Donegeal
Old November 22, 2002, 20:09   #16
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

The best score idea is interesting.

However as a judge I have to say that The Court should first be able to look at the voter list to determine if there was a true winner. If the election is still a tie then we could do the highest score.

Or maybe we should let The Court decide if they want to first see the voter list or just go straight to the game of civ.

Sell your photos
Old November 23, 2002, 12:22   #17
jdjdjd
Prince

DAVOUT makes a good point with regards to tiebreakers...even in football, at the close of the season two tied teams know who the winner will be based on the tiebreaking system they have which is not based on random chance except in the odd chance that all the other tiebreakers also end in ties.

We could add a third to our list and make the last tie breaker as RPS.

The problem with random is that RPS or shooting it out or picking a number are subject to human error or fixing whether doing over the internet or in person. Even if monitored by the Court, whose to say that members of the Court won't cheat for another member. And if they play a game against each other, how do you know that one player won't play ahead or cheat?

As for checking voter records, I say there is no need. Its a waste of time. Many people do not want the Court or anyone to know how they voted or whether they voted. And, members of the Court are human, and what do we have to guarantee they do not leak out details of the voting records?

I'm not sure why anyone would argue with having instantaneous tiebreakers that can not be influenced by anyone inside the game?

Oh yeah, BTW, this is still just a game. Let the game be played without unnecessary delay. Using the instantaneous tiebreakers I mentioned above would do just that.
Old November 23, 2002, 13:54   #18
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:26
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
A shoot out is fairly random...
M-203's at 50 Yards....

E_T
Old November 23, 2002, 17:26   #19
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
how do you know that one player won't play ahead or cheat?
You don't. You just have to have faith and trust people to do the right thing. We never know if anyone is playing ahead in this game and we just have to trust them not to.

Sell your photos
Old November 23, 2002, 18:52   #20
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Why not Russian Roulette?
Old November 29, 2002, 19:53   #21
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I think the ammendment discussion sort of petered out...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old December 5, 2002, 13:50   #22
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

With the Term end Rapidly approching and the new elections looming, we need to try to get this discussion restarted.

So, how DO we want to break a possible tie, that would be fair and equivical towards everybody?

E_T
Old December 5, 2002, 14:31   #23
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

RPS!
Old December 5, 2002, 21:26   #24
jdjdjd
Prince

Refer back to my initial post
Old December 6, 2002, 01:02   #25
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

RPS.
Old December 6, 2002, 02:05   #26
notyoueither
Deity

I am positive the court is completely aware of the wishes of the people who have spoken.

Something quick. Something unbiased.

In the event that another tie occurs (how likely is that?) I am sure we will see a different result.