Old December 9, 2002, 12:47   #31
ToonGoon
Settler

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I've only gotten up to mid 7000 BC before I keep getting a "GU153.spr not in resource..." something or other error. I searched the directories and I have that sprite in the proper folder (i think). When initially did the install I had some problems getting the files to unzip to the proper locations so I did some manual unpacking. Do I need to switch to another mod and back to AOM as Jbytheway describes with his GL files?

Thanks
"...the aim of most scientists is to know more and more about less and less, and to describe what it is they know in terms of such precision as to be virtually incomprehensible to their colleagues, let alone the general public."
Old December 10, 2002, 12:45   #32
ToonGoon
Settler

Well, I solved the problem above: some files unpacked incorrectly.

Has anyone had a problem with a crash soon after the copper smelting (I think that's the tech) unit upgrade? Right after I had done this (upgrading some but not all warriors & spearman), I got some strange screen action - the image of the rank and file infantry from the GL appeared where the interface should be at the bottom of the screen. The game then crashed to the desktop without explanantion. I didn't bother retrying as I had other duties that I was ignoring. Anyone else had this difficulty?

added by edit so as not to be talking to myself repeatedly....

tryed again last night, upgraded all possible units, same thing. I believe that the GL image is replacing the spearman (maybe warrier as well) image in the UI and the prog can't handle it.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?
"...the aim of most scientists is to know more and more about less and less, and to describe what it is they know in terms of such precision as to be virtually incomprehensible to their colleagues, let alone the general public."

Last edited by ToonGoon; December 11, 2002 at 21:06.
Old December 13, 2002, 12:32   #33
ToonGoon
Settler

Still here anybody?

I have had little time to dig much deper but I tryed getting through the upgrade problem by not upgrading *any* units and the crash did not occur.

However, when I did start building a new spearman after discovery of copper smelting there is no picture in the queue at all.
Old December 13, 2002, 12:56   #34
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:26
Quote:
Originally posted by ToonGoon
Still here anybody?

I have had little time to dig much deper but I tryed getting through the upgrade problem by not upgrading *any* units and the crash did not occur.

However, when I did start building a new spearman after discovery of copper smelting there is no picture in the queue at all.
This means a image file is missing, this will cause sooner or later a crash again if the game tries to display the image at a certain place. If I remember correctly Dale required an ApolytonPack or Cradle instalation, because he cut down the file size. The result of this that this mod can only be played with ApolytonPack or Cradle installed properly.

-Martin
Old December 13, 2002, 13:14   #35
ToonGoon
Settler

Thanks Martin. I have them both installed but as I have said I do believe for some reason my files were unpacking incorrectly. I will have to recheck (yet again) if there is a problem with just my files.
Old December 14, 2002, 11:40   #36
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ToonGoon
Thanks Martin. I have them both installed but as I have said I do believe for some reason my files were unpacking incorrectly. I will have to recheck (yet again) if there is a problem with just my files.
If you can't find the missing *.tga files then you could replace them with dummy version, actual just copy an existing one of the same size and rename the copy to the file that is missing.

-Martin
Old December 14, 2002, 15:35   #37
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 04:26
Re: About the "Dark Ages"
Quote:
Originally posted by primemover
I just came across this new mod in the making and I have one major comment/concern/question (and maybe HuangShang can help with this...)

My only problem with the concept so far is your comment(s) on the Dark Ages. The Dark ages were indeed a hard time for man in Europe and the Middle East. But what about other empires in other areas of the world... (Keep in mind I'm not a historian... but...)

China for example. Although they did have a feudal government during the "dark ages", their feudal system goes all the way back to at least 221 BC. But just because they had a similar government style, can we still assume they went through a "dark ages" as Europe did? Some web sites suggest otherwise: (eg VIP China Tours History site). It is suggested that although China did go through some instability parallel to Europe, China also went through several very different stages during the times you are calling "the dark ages", some of them quite properous by contrast. China also appears to have had a city-state and even an independent state system.

Again, what about the Mayan's and Africa? I don't think their histories even necessitate a constant "feudal" system during these times.

I just don't know that imposing the state of Europe on the entire world is historically accurate. I suggest doing a bit of research for the dark, and possibly all "ages" of man, to be sure your ages include the full spectrum of possibilities.

But otherwise this different approach is intriguing. Currently I am trying the new Cradle Mod... when I actually have the time (being a teacher). I anticipate giving it a try sometime in the future (possibly during Christmas Break).

our history was very steady. there were plenty of jumps and pauses in technology, but never enough for a "dark" or "enlightened" AGE. like how gunpowder didnt impact much
nor did barbarian movements from the west
lol i replied kinda late

Last edited by HuangShang; December 14, 2002 at 15:53.
Old December 21, 2002, 11:48   #38
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

I have just downloaded the file. On paper, I like the idea of auto-settlement, with the question raised of "how does Europe settle colonies in America" raised.
I will comment soon (I hope).
Old December 21, 2002, 21:00   #39
LDiCesare
Emperor

Here are my comments:
The mod is good in the sense it has excellent gameplay.
I have some issues, however.

The flow of the game is excellent. Fast-paced, always got something to do. New units become avialbale, they don't seem to grow in power in stupendous leaps so that seems OK. I had no fight in my game however, except against barbs, so I can't say for sure whether they are balanced.

The automatic settling thing is very good, though I question the positionning of cities. When I find an advanced tribe/settler in a hut, I have a city growing far from my capital. It can reach size 7 without anyone leaving it to found a new city nearby. All new cities are founded near the capital. That's a bit weird and since you can't control the placement of new cities, it prevents from strengthening lucky outposts. Note that disbanding cities should probably be disallowed, otherwise it is too powerful, particularly since the AI will be too silly to do it.

Research rate is so fast that I wonder whether libraries have any use. I almost always got 1 or 2 turns to a new research, more often 1 than 2. Can libraries and such have an effect in such a case? Are they worth building?
The research rate was so fast that I had all the techs currently available by 5000BC at Medium difficulty. I guess at impossible that would be less, but it is still a lot very fast.

From one age to another: There should be a popup, video or something when you move from one age to another, to give some feeling of accomplishment. I guess that will come later.

Pollution? I had lots of tiles on which I couldn't do any tile improvement and which produced 0 food. I was unable to identify them other than clicking on them and don't know what caused that. My best guess is pollution, but it still is strange.

The diplomacy messages I got were given only a OK button, so I had to contact the other civ by myself afterwards in order to understand what was happening. A bit strange.

Having to change settling orders in the capital is slightly annoying. I had started building some wonder in the capital when I realized that the two lucky huts brange me to 30 cities, which was the max I could stand, and next turn, zdang! I was at 32 cities. I turned off the wonder (losing 3 turns) in order to change policy. Why not allowing to change the policy from anywhere? I understand it gives more weight and a nice touch to the capital, but it also hinders the capital with needless bureaucracy.

The AI was totally bad in that game. I had chosen a Medium difficulty, which doesn't help, but it still behaved strangely. One civ never settled. They had one third of a continent but never ever settled. Their settlers moved around a mountain range and amidst hills for about 3000 years. I already saw something like that in the game when the AI starts with 1 settler + 1 unit, if that may help. The other AIs seemed to fare better, but some of them had relatively few cities, and they didn't seem to use any TI. That is strange since I usually lag in TI, but here it was the AI that built little of these.

Overall, this looks extremely promising. If the AI manages to handle the new rules and if the techs cost a bit more so that libraries etc. are worth building, this mod can rock.
Old December 21, 2002, 22:05   #40
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 12:26
for an Alpha tha sounds pretty damn good, i must try it soon
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old December 22, 2002, 18:03   #41
HuangShang
King

ill try the 1.0 aight?
Old December 23, 2002, 16:35   #42
Cube
Warlord

I downloaded the mod and it seems to be ok. Once I had a couple of cities(I Think it was around 8) the colonization code started to settle new cities to close to existing cities, and that really pisses me off. The AI might be stupid enough to leave these cities were they are, but I'm not so I disbanded them and moved them.

I also didn't like the fact that there's a new version of the warior and spearman with no picture once you discover copper smelting, this caused a crash when I looked at the units in the city tab.

I got a medium no traspassing agreement with the orange civ, and the game didn't warn me that it was about to expire. I remember that there were messages like that in this version of diplomod, So they're either not turned on or broken.

I have an Idea that would make the game more interesting. I think there should be Immigration from one City to another In your civ and to other civs. Let's say for Example city A has too much Pollution, or too much overcrowding, then some of the citizens would move to city B.
Old January 4, 2003, 10:43   #43
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

well, as i was rather busy the last 2 months (and will continue to be) i don't know yet if i will test v0.21 1.0 or 7.5.4. just wanted to say that i loved this mod even in the testing stage you posted somewhen in fall dale, thanks to you a lot for your great work.
Old January 13, 2003, 07:26   #44
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 21:26
Sad news for those waiting for AOM....
Hey all.

I'm sure a lot of you guys have noticed I haven't been around as much. I'm sure a couple have even noticed that I haven't posted an update for AOM since the 5th of December. There's a reason for that.

For the last month I've taken up a project that I stopped over 6 months ago. But instead of continuing on where I'd left off, I started from scratch. For those who don't know, I've taken up programming my own game again.

I won't give much details, but sufice to say that AOM has been shelfed. I don't know if I'll go back to it either. That doesn't mean I won't be here, just that I won't be modding. I'm still in the Democracy game, and will still help out with question when I can.

Anyways, I'll be giving more details in the "Alt-Civs" section. Just keep an eye on my sig.

Oh, and just to let out a little secret, I'm getting some help from one of our own. Hopefully I can count on some more help from you guys later when the game is a bit more 'fleshy'.
Old January 13, 2003, 07:30   #45
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

bah.. oh well

anyway good luck with the programming... what kinda game will it be, civ can have quite a wide variations
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old January 13, 2003, 08:21   #46
child of Thor
Emperor

Local Time: 11:26
Good luck with the new project and i'll be very interested to see what your upto. It's all good i'm sure
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old January 13, 2003, 09:07   #47
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

this is really sad news! You're modding work will be missed.
Old January 13, 2003, 11:12   #48
Tamerlin
King

Good luck for your project Dale, thanks again for your mods which have renewed my interest in CtP2.

We will carefully look at the various CtP2 threads to spot the modder whom post rate has decreased in order to spot your partner.
Old January 13, 2003, 16:49   #49
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 08:26
Maybe someone may want to take over your work!
-Jean Rostand
Old January 13, 2003, 17:52   #50
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Bon voyage Dale, keep DGing. Good luck with Empire!!

Did you get anywhere with those AI scripts?
Old January 13, 2003, 18:02   #51
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Oh well, see you in 3 months

(How many times have you 'retired' now? 4, 5? You're the Micheal Jordan of CtP2 )
Old January 13, 2003, 18:15   #52
LDiCesare
Emperor

It is a great mod already. The no-settler gameplay is great. If you could just tell us which slc or whatnot is needed to get that behavior?
Good luck with Empire. You know how much work coding one game is, don't you? btw you are on the credits list for Clash demo 7.2 for the Dawn scenario.
See you on Alt Civ.
Old January 13, 2003, 18:53   #53
Dale
Emperor

Thanks guys.

Quote:
what kinda game will it be, civ can have quite a wide variations
Smiffgig:
In short, a TBS high-level strategy on an Earth-like planet based on our own medieval era.

Quote:
Good luck with the new project and i'll be very interested to see what your upto. It's all good i'm sure
COT:
Thanks mate.

Quote:
You're modding work will be missed
My modding days may be over, but my game programming days are beginning. Oh, and just for us modders, Empire is COMPLETELY modable. You can even change the tile size it's so flexible.

Quote:
We will carefully look at the various CtP2 threads to spot the modder whom post rate has decreased in order to spot your partner.
I'll leave it up to "the other guy" to see if they want to be known.

Quote:
Did you get anywhere with those AI scripts?
IW:
Actually not too far. The AI in CTP2 is very flexible, but in some areas (those we need to fix) it seems inflexible.

Quote:
Oh well, see you in 3 months
Locutus:
As I said, it's only a shelfing, not a leaving.

Quote:
You know how much work coding one game is, don't you? btw you are on the credits list for Clash demo 7.2 for the Dawn scenario.
See you on Alt Civ.
LDiCesare:
Yeah, it's a big job, but I need a fully working finished game of a larger scale than tetris, pacman or backgammon. That's the purpose of this game. Of course, it's to be a GOOD game too. That way, I get my folio centre-piece, and start getting a name in the public's eye. No, I didn't know I was on the credits. I didn't really do anything but participate in a couple of discussions.
Old January 13, 2003, 19:16   #54
Tamerlin
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
(How many times have you 'retired' now? 4, 5? You're the Micheal Jordan of CtP2 )

I am rather new to Apolyton and this is already my second retirement from Dale.
Old January 14, 2003, 12:05   #55
ískallin
Prince

Local Time: 23:26
Gilg has not been seen for a long time!
Old January 14, 2003, 12:33   #56
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 06:26
Sorry to see you leaving th CTP2 community. AOM had a lot of potential.

Keep in touch...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old January 15, 2003, 16:15   #57
ískallin
Prince

I give him max 3 weeks before he will brake
Old January 15, 2003, 16:17   #58
ískallin
Prince

oh and good luck
Old March 22, 2003, 11:56   #59
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
well, as i was rather busy the last 2 months (and will continue to be) i don't know yet if i will test v0.21 1.0 or 7.5.4. just wanted to say that i loved this mod even in the testing stage you posted somewhen in fall dale, thanks to you a lot for your great work.
well, i'm still busy, but nevertheless would like to give it a try now. which version/files should be used? come on dale, i'm sure you are still around
Old March 23, 2003, 17:59   #60
Dale
Emperor

Zaphod:

Quote:
come on dale, i'm sure you are still around
Yeah, but shhhhhh, don't tell anyone okay?