Old November 22, 2002, 20:46   #1
fatjoe79
Settler

Local Time: 11:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
the pirates got MOO3 already!
You know that a build of MOO3 leaked out to the pirates already. I won't say where (of course), but it doesn't seem to be the leaked demo from a while back (since it specifically mentions CD images). I hope these pirates go to hell!
fatjoe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2002, 20:53   #2
Bane99
Settler

Nevermind, reread your post.
Bane99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2002, 21:35   #3
fatjoe79
Settler

I seriously doubt that what I found is the leaked "demo"...there were warez groups named and such...
Old November 23, 2002, 00:33   #4
Vipermmx
Chieftain

Actually I just found Moo3 on the net and yes it looks to be the real deal. The rip info states Myth did it =)

There gods in the warez field.
Vipermmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 01:00   #5
Bane99
Settler

Well, I doubt it's the final as it isn't gold yet. Unless that's why we haven't heard a gold statement yet as they are trying to find the leak?
Old November 23, 2002, 01:08   #6
Bane99
Settler

Actually, I remember someone saying on the Infograme forums that a beta tester leaked a build of the game so that's most likely what is floating around.
Old November 23, 2002, 03:54   #7
Atragon
Prince

Local Time: 06:27
Speaking of Kangamoo...

I'm curious, what exactly was in said 'demo' I've heard many mentions of it, but I never really figured out just what level of content was in it.
Atragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 03:58   #8
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Myth sucks and I haven't heard anything about a release, unless its just the alpha rehashed and sent out or another lame beta. The real copy will probably come out around the same time it does for everyone else, so just wait and buy it.
Old November 23, 2002, 05:34   #9
Citizen Cain
Settler

This is most assuredly BS. Except for the Myth bashing. Good job on GTA III.

MoO3 has not been released to the warez scene in any form that I'm aware of, and no warez group has made a release of MoO3... in any form, under any format. This includes the Kangamoo, the beta and any possible gold master candidates.

As for finding it, well it's not on the net anywhere, it's not on the usual [somewhat reputable] sites that offer warez release info to the unwashed masses, nor is it in... "the usual places." Nor can any references to this be found on google, except for this thread. Yet.

Give it a couple weeks, though.
Citizen Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 05:50   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 13:27
are you sure it's not actually moo2?
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 13:02   #11
_-olle-_
Settler

I have come across files labeled things such as "moo3 cd 1" and "moo3 cd 2" however the filesize strongly sugest that it's just packed with crap ... I doubt moo3 total size is 100 megs ...

Still ... I actually will buy this game (the same way I'd buy Fallout 3) due to the fact that the dev. teams integrity while constructing a game that isn't streamlined for the marketing departement ...

Actually I belive we have only seen the intial phases of computer gaming ... If you draw a paralell to film history, the first films where shown at vaudeville shows and penny-slot-machines, generally they where concidered to have a negative effect on people. Later films evolved, saw times of echonomical independance (that is, film studios ran by film freaks rather then controlled by stock holders) and truly reached new heights.
Computer games need to be developed in a enviroment somewhat sheilded from the echonomical interests that funds the whole party ... the game that sells the most doesn't have to be the "best" game ... just the best marketed ... simply compare contemporary mainstream hollywood blue print following films with the films of the french new wave or when the films of coppola scorcece hit the silver screens ... Apocalypse now wasn't a box office blast but neither was Citizen Kane.
I'm not saying good games are doomed to echonomical faliure but perhaps they involve a higher risk ... still look at (another film paralell) the life work of Stanley Cubrick and you'l know it wouldn't be possible without creative integrity ...

I belive film and computer games have a whoile lot in common, both being relatively young mediums and both requiering a big production apparatus ... drawing a paralell might be fruitfull ...
_-olle-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 16:17   #12
pmaura
Chieftain

What world do you live in where movies are not made by a bunch of stock holders. Yes there are independent movies out there but ther are funded by corporations who follow economic theory and business practice. Even sundance was started by redford I believe but only after he had his money by using technics such as marketing. But the gaming industry is alittle differnt though. I mean who saw the success of deer hunter(the game), I still can not comprehend the success of sims its a game I just dont like. In general you have to appeal to the masses unless you want the government to subsidize computer game companies. Which is a whole new topic. I am glad moo3 is being made personaly since the gaming markey is definatly geared more towards FPS, and very action oriented games.
pmaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 18:09   #13
_-olle-_
Settler

"What world do you live in where movies are not made by a bunch of stock holders"

Movies are never, and I repeat, never made by stockholders. Movies are made by directors, screenwriters, actors and other artists. However, stock holders do oftenly affect the creative process and this does result in a decline in creativity and artistic integrity.

"In general you have to appeal to the masses unless you want the government to subsidize computer game companies"

I don't agree, to constantly seek to "appeal the masses" oftenly results in a lack of creativity and artistic vision. Such a populistic agenda results in stagnation. Few great directors ever asked themselves "hmm, now ... let's make a family fun film everyone likes". Of cource games should be made for people to enjoy but to constantly go after as many buyers as possible just gives you predictable results.

The thing is that there will allways be a conflict betwene capitalism and arts ... "producing" creative product isn't the same thing as producing coke ...

And I do belive films and computer games has got a whole lot in common, they are two different mediums, still they both requier a rather big production apparatus and a strucktured creative process ... building a computer game isn't building a damn word processor
_-olle-_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2002, 23:15   #14
Calorman
Chieftain

Pirates!? We're doomed!

/jumps overboard.
Calorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 02:05   #15
nato
Prince

I found the files named "moo3 cd 1" and "moo3 cd 2" also, however to me they look like they are indeed big enough to actually be the game.

Wouldn't people be worried about some virus or something? Its gotta be a lot less worry to just pay out the $50 and buy the game. If it lasts near as long as MoO 1 and 2, its one of the best $50s spent ever.

Anyway, now I have seen it all, a game hacked before it is even finished.

Anybody else old enough to get this?:

"there's been a new breakthrough in home-video marketing, sir ... Instant cassettes! They're out in stores BEFORE the movie is finished!"
Old November 26, 2002, 03:48   #16
fatjoe79
Settler

sorry about any rumors I started....it seems like all the files up on the internet are fakes....so at least it's out of the warez doodz hands so far...
Old November 26, 2002, 04:36   #17
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:27
Nato many games are stolen directly from the devs and put out in the past, it is not new, They hack right into the network.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 06:04   #18
nato
Prince

Oops, shows my ignorance then.

One (not too serious) theory I've had is that a reason games are released not-so-great is so that cracked versions are stuck with the pre patch game. That was what I really thought with Civ 3's air superiority bug.
Old November 26, 2002, 20:59   #19
rob.derosa
Chieftain

I found Master Of Orion 3 Alpha, and it worked

However it was quite buggy, and most of the text was not yet inserted. So I quickly removed
rob.derosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 01:21   #20
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

you get what you paid for. and if you don't pay, don't expect to get the real deal.
H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 01:37   #21
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Uh, noone "hacks into the network". Most often its someone on the inside leaking it, like the beta testers or some other small fry. Then there are also press copys sent to review sites getting leaked, noone is hacking into anything. Even setting up the builds on comps connected to the outside then having a weak security system seems dumb.
Old November 27, 2002, 06:50   #22
Happy_Dau
Settler

Got MOO3 Leaked Aplha from the Internet. Yeah, Yeah, call me a pirate... Actually I've already pre-ordered MOO3 because I've purchased MOO 1 + 2 too! GREAT GAMES!

1) For all you guys who have got the alpha but only see CGA-like colours, switch your desktop colour-depth to 16-bit. (And try newest Drivers & DirectX 9 if it does'nt work).

2) About the Alpha! Forget about it, it's not worth searching for. It's VERY buggy, crashes to Desktop ALOT, Research doesn't work well.

As most of you know, QS has streamlined the UI to fewer screens. In the alpha you have about a 1000 different screens and options and stuff. You would need a BIG manual for that one. Without one, it's almost unplayable.

Yes, I know, more complex == more good, but this is too much. There are almost no descriptions for research job, racial picks and so on.

But it looks promising anyway.

MAXIMUM RESPECT to QS! Only 10 more days? What the heck... We've waited for this game more than 2 years... So we can wait a little longer and have a FINE product then!
Happy_Dau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 09:13   #23
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 23:27
Yeesh! If you WERE wanting to download it, at least wait until it's available! Would the (extremely unlikely) possibility of getting it before others have outweigh the virus risk or the risk of downloading several hundred meg of crap?

There are very few games worth buying, but for me they have always included anything from Firaxis or Microprose. For the love of God wait to buy the damn thing!

Pirate something else.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 11:34   #24
Bolverk
Settler

So the pirate is the Alpha? Makes sence, seeing as the real-deal hasn't gone gold yet...
Bolverk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 14:05   #25
Rantz
Quicksilver

Quote:
Originally posted by _-olle-_
I have come across files labeled things such as "moo3 cd 1" and "moo3 cd 2" however the filesize strongly sugest that it's just packed with crap ... I doubt moo3 total size is 100 megs ...
MOO3 is currently about 900MGs uninstalled
Rantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2002, 09:09   #26
rob.derosa
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
Yeesh! If you WERE wanting to download it, at least wait until it's available! Would the (extremely unlikely) possibility of getting it before others have outweigh the virus risk or the risk of downloading several hundred meg of crap?
Not if you know where to go
rob.derosa is offline   Reply With Quote