Old November 23, 2002, 16:03   #1
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Heroes 4 Acronym
Usenet Thread

It has been suggested that HIV rather than HoMM4 would be a better acronym for Heroes of Might and Magic IV. I haven't tried the game myself, but that sounds like a fair assessment from what I've read.

Last edited by St Leo; November 23, 2002 at 17:01.
Old November 23, 2002, 16:12   #2
tniem
King

Local Time: 06:29

I am going to be giving it a try this Christmas break. I guess I will see whether it is any good.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:55   #3
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 11:29
...Well, if they have all the patches in, perhaps you'll be delighted- I've heard that the expansion improves it... but frankly, I consider it as much of a downgrade as Civ IV was to Civ III.
Old November 24, 2002, 09:15   #4
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:29
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
...Well, if they have all the patches in, perhaps you'll be delighted- I've heard that the expansion improves it... but frankly, I consider it as much of a downgrade as Civ IV was to Civ III.
Are you prescient or something?
Old November 24, 2002, 12:37   #5
moomin
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Agree with DarkCloud. Some of the ideas they displayed in HoMM4 are terrific, but the game as a whole is a vast step back from HoMM3.
Old November 24, 2002, 19:45   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Sorry Tau- I type as I think... therefore my thoughts wander.

moomin further clarified my thoughts!
Old November 25, 2002, 11:14   #7
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

No problem, DarkCloud - gives the rest of us something to laugh about.

Oh yeah, and I have both HoMM 3 and 4, so my thoughts:

The new skill system is great. 9 primary skills, of which you may choose up to 5, and for each primary skill, 3 secondary, of which you may have all 3. All skills have 5 levels, and no skills are mutually exclusive. The system works well, and avoids the HoMM3 annoyance of choosing between two crappy skills (Basic Scholar/Basic Eagle Eye, anyone? ). The idea of basing your class on your two best primary skills is also good.

The magic system is also very nice, and works well.

Heroes on the battlefield - Oh yeah! Once you get some combat skills, you'll have a quite powerful unit, that is hard to destroy. Great fun!

Towns and creatures - Fewer towns than before, and you have to choose between some creatures. Annoying, although getting rid of the "upgrades for all creatures" idea was good.

World Map - now isometric view, and better graphics. So what? The HoMM 3 WM was just as good. *shrug*
Although they did get rid of the need to have crappy heroes running around checking the huts, since you're no longer forced to learn a skill when you enter one.

Battlefield - This is where HoMM 4 really loses out. You no longer have a grid to refer to, so you can only get a rough idea how far units can move. Worse yet, it is sometimes impossible to tell whether it's possible to move between two bushes or not. Even worse, it's very hard to predict whether a ranged unit will satisfy the line of sight criteria, which is required to shoot at a unit. In HoMM3 you could always tell exactly how far every unit could move, and whether they could hit your units. You can't here. It really ruins strategic thinking when you can't be sure of anything.

Game balance has some serious issues as well. Take the medusa for instance. Its "Stone Gaze" ability now insta-kills a few units. So far so good. But the ability works with the medusa's ranged attack. Quite powerful, but still manageable, with some good spells. The really bad thing, though, is that with a large enough stack of medusas, the ability works on your heroes. One shot, bang, you're dead. Way too powerful for such a low level unit. There's probably plenty more examples.
Old November 25, 2002, 23:18   #8
DarkCloud
staff

What about the editor? Do you consider it superior?
Old November 26, 2002, 05:32   #9
Zero-Tau
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
What about the editor? Do you consider it superior?
I have used neither the 3 or 4 editor, so I can't say.
Old November 26, 2002, 07:41   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

I can only say that I played every HoMM II campaign including expansions, every HoMM III capaign but ignored the expansions and got bored with HoMM IV fast. Part of that is certainly familiarity but a lot of it was the removal of battlefield tactics. The addition of lots more miscellaneous stuff doesn't make the game more fun or the AI smarter, either.