View Poll Results: Should Minister Discussions Be Public? (5 days)
Yes 23 65.71%
No 12 34.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23, 2002, 21:03   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 07:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should Minister Discussions Be Public?
'Poly has a rule that any content of a PM may be kept private if the sender of it wishes it to be. This poll is to see if everyone consents that any information discussed between ministers of different teams will be considered 'fair game' to be revealed. While this may seem somewhat obvious, we have to work within the red tape, and follow the rules.

If yes passes, then it will be considered that each PM sent within context of this, the PTW Demo Game, by any member of the game gives his consent that the contents may be revealed to whoever the recipient wishes.

In English, that means that anyone who gets a PM regarding PTW Demo Game material can share the contents with anyone he wants to.

5 Days.

Last edited by Jon Shafer; November 24, 2002 at 17:55.
Old November 23, 2002, 21:59   #2
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:30
Reveal your opponents PM, face the penalty of ticking them off and possibly starting a war....
Don't reveal your opponents PM, gain trust of that particular team.

I like it.
Old November 24, 2002, 07:08   #3
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Trip, a poll is nice, but shouldn't each minister or member at least post a 'YES, disclose my PMs within the context of this game' too? Now, nobody knows who is in favor anyway...

You are all free to use my PMs as you wish, in the sense that I don't consider them private communications between 2 members, but between representatives of our teams. If people start posting sensitive information on team policy in the general forum, they can, but will probably feel the diplomatic repurcussions of it (i.e. we won't like you )

DeepO
Old November 24, 2002, 09:22   #4
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I think whether it is done in private or public is up to the foreign ministers. Most likely private, but there may be some good things they want everyone to know about.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:01   #5
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 05:30
no

if everyone should know about it, it should be posted here

Jon Miller
Old November 24, 2002, 13:14   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I think there should be a World Trade Thread on this forum that everyone can read and the Ambassadors can negotiate in that thread.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:32   #7
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

nope, what if i want to sneak attack Gs with Trips team.
Old November 24, 2002, 14:25   #8
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

True, most of the diplomacy will be kept secret. However, when a diplomat feels he'll get an edge by revealing what he knows, he may do it (that's the purpose of this poll : when someone PMs about diplomacy, it is understood the content of the PM can be revealed).
I can't imagine all diplomacy being completely open, it would ruin this part of the game.
I still think we do diplomacy like it is done IRL : no rules
Old November 24, 2002, 16:04   #9
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 06:30
Most likely secret scheme will be kept between two teams.... the recipient may reveal the content but theres is some consequence in order to do so as well (other civ may guard themselves knowing they are easy to rat private conversation and the one who initiated discussion will forever remember this!)
Old November 24, 2002, 17:11   #10
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I think some of us are misinterpreting the poll, and I'm not sure if it is me who is off... could someone please state clearly what the intent of this poll is?

1. Every PM sent within the context of this game may be revelead by the receiver to who he wishes. If he chooses to quote it in his team's private forum, he is allowed to by the sender. If he for some reason thinks he needs to disclose it to a member of a third team (either in a PM to him, or by posting it in the general forum), he can, even if it will very likely will have diplomatic repercussions in game.

2. Receivers must keep PMs to theirself, they are not allowed to quote it in the private forum

3. All PMs can be quoted in private fora, but can never be quoted in the general forum, thus a sort of team-privacy rule.

I thought that Trip said in the first post the poll was about option 1, and so I voted Yes. But from the posts of other members, it seems like others think the poll differently... could someone explain, please?

DeepO
Old November 24, 2002, 17:29   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

DeepO :
As far as I understand, when you vote YES, you say the content of diplomatic PMs may be revealed.
If you vote NO, you say it is forbidden to reveal the content of a diplomatic PM.

At least that's what I understood, and that's why I voted YES
Edit : after rereading Trip's first post, I think I understood correctly
Old November 24, 2002, 17:32   #12
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
DeepO :
As far as I understand, when you vote YES, you say the content of diplomatic PMs may be revealed.
If you vote NO, you say it is forbidden to reveal the content of a diplomatic PM.

At least that's what I understood, and that's why I voted YES
Edit : after rereading Trip's first post, I think I understood correctly
That's correct.

Is it really that hard to understand though?

Question: "Should Ministers' PMs be revealed to the public? Yes or No?"
Old November 24, 2002, 17:48   #13
Ninot
PtWDG RoleplayC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

the world "revealed" is what caught me

makes it sounds like ALL ministerial and diplomatic talk should be revealed, or else!
Old November 24, 2002, 17:56   #14
Jon Shafer

Sorry about that.

I added a 'translation' of the legal gibberish in the post for clarification.
Old November 24, 2002, 17:57   #15
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

This poll allows ambassadors to NOT get in trouble for allowing his teammates to look at PM's from another team's ambassadors. This way nobody is breaking the 'poly rules, and we are all able to conduct foreign affair's the way we want to.
Old November 24, 2002, 17:59   #16
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

you can still forward PMs with no problems attached

it is just posting them publicly

I am fine with the current rules

Jon miller
Old November 25, 2002, 04:06   #17
ManicStarSeed
C4DG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityBtS Tri-League
Prince

So beating that dead horse to death....

This poll is allowing us to play the game more fully (reveal PMs regarding the PTW DG) with out the "repercussions" of breaking 'polys rules of privacy.

This does NOT give the right for any one to expect to be shown any PMs.

Correct?

Mss
Old November 25, 2002, 04:55   #18
Meshelic
King

Correct.
Old November 25, 2002, 09:50   #19
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 12:30
When you send a PM, do you implicitly expect top secrecy about the subject? - I don't.

I know if I say: "...and please don't tell anyone!"
and the receiver says: "Okidokie" then I will expect some secrecy.
(I won't be reassured unless I know the guy well)
Old November 25, 2002, 10:33   #20
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Abstain. If the PM is to be revealed, fine. If it is to be kept private, then just state in the PM "please keep private" and no matter what this vote turns out to be, no posting allowed per poly rules. It is easy enought to PM someone back asking "is it ok if I post this for my team?"

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old November 25, 2002, 12:44   #21
Jon Shafer

TPR: It's a necassary precaution. Apoltyon has a rule against this kind of thing, and we need to have a vote on it and make sure everyone understands the situation.

GK, who would really want their secret plans divulged to an entire team/other teams?

That's like a Soviet spy after WWII asking the Americans if he can tell the Motherland how to build a nuke.
Old November 25, 2002, 18:21   #22
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 12:30
And this Soviet spy actually found out how to build a nuke.
Thanks to his spywork and American sloppiness...

What does that tell us?
You never write a secret in a PM to someone who can't
keep it a secret. Then you would rather keep your mouth shut.
If it is supposed to be a secret, very few people know...

BTW: I can keep a secret, so just PM me!
Old November 25, 2002, 19:22   #23
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
What does that tell us?
You never write a secret in a PM to someone who can't
keep it a secret. Then you would rather keep your mouth shut.
If it is supposed to be a secret, very few people know...
Bingo.
Which is why I can't understand why some people are voting no. Espionage is part of the game. You don't want anyone to know stuff about you? Then don't tell anyone. That's the nature of the biznas.
Old November 25, 2002, 19:29   #24
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Yes, for all the reasons already explained by people above my post.
Old November 25, 2002, 20:40   #25
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

GodKing, if what you say is true, then diplomat will take shelter in the safety of PM under Poly rule.

For example, if GoS wants to military ally agst Legoland with Gow, but Gow is a MPP ally of Legoland, Diplomats will opt for sending such deal offer thru PM and declare privacy, thus GoW will be bound to not be able to discuss such matter.

That is called abusing the rules.
Old November 25, 2002, 22:15   #26
Jon Miller
staff
OTF Moderator

you can forward PMs and discuss them

you jsut cannot post them

that is at least my understanding

Jon Miluler
Old November 26, 2002, 13:28   #27
DeepO
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trip
That's correct.

Is it really that hard to understand though?
It seems that way... I understood correctly, but not all comments on this thread assume the same thing. Quite a few people explain like they are forced to disclose all PMs, or think all of their PMs are to be abused. I too don't see a problem with voting YES...

DeepO
Old November 26, 2002, 13:47   #28
Jon Shafer

At least it looks like it's going to pass either way.
Old November 26, 2002, 16:48   #29
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

its not like you can enforce it, can you
Old November 26, 2002, 17:22   #30
Jon Shafer

It's not a matter of enforcing, it's a matter of preventing any enforcement from taking place at all.