Old November 24, 2002, 02:07   #1
Rusher
Settler

Local Time: 11:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Expansion (of what) Pack?
My machine (PII 350, 64 MB RAM) plays CivIII but not PTW. I have a problem with this. I don't mind paying extra for multi-player, but not for upgrades to the original game, like new civs and swordsmen. Is there an option for someone like me, who won't get another computer until his daughter enters college in 2020? How about a patch for us out-of-date losers?
Old November 24, 2002, 05:20   #2
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
Your system seems to almost satisfy the minimum requirements. What kind of problems you have? Will PtW install or not? Will it launch or not? What kind of error messages you get? Did you apply the latest PtW patch (1.04f)?
Old November 24, 2002, 07:44   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Expansion of a truly great game.

I dont know what prices are like around your way but you can get some excellent deals on set ups twice as powerful as the one you quoted over here, you could probably upgrade for less than some of the games that are being released these days.

Dont mean to offend I know myself the confines of spending power. I have four kids to feed, clothe and educate etc so I know that one has to make prorities.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 24, 2002, 10:37   #4
Rusher
Settler

upgrade
Thanks for the replies. It loaded, but doesn't launch. I have the patch. When I try to launch the CD whirs and then just quits. My screen never leaves the desktop. I'm going to try 64 more MBs of RAM and see how that works.
Old November 24, 2002, 11:02   #5
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:31
A wise choice. More RAM, more fun.
Old November 24, 2002, 11:30   #6
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Good luck hope it works out for you.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old November 24, 2002, 19:35   #7
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 13:31
I have 333Mhz, 64MB Celeron and both Civ3 and PtW work well for me.

Of course, playing anything larger then standard map is big NO, NO.

And late game saves need some time to get loaded.
Old November 24, 2002, 20:01   #8
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:31
Rusher, try doing a system update, it worked for me (XP home system). More RAM would be a good idea also.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old November 26, 2002, 10:07   #9
Rusher
Settler

I think I figured it out, thanks to player1's post. I believe it's a DirectX 8 problem with my video card. I have a 3DFX voodoo2 card, which is unsupported since 3DFX is kaput. I returned PTW for Europa Universalis II, which requires less hardware than PTW but DirectX 8 as well, and it has the same problem. Anyone have any clues on DirectX 8 drivers? Or cheap video cards?

Also, is the Carthaginians UU a 2-2-1 or a 2-3-1?
Old November 26, 2002, 10:58   #10
Billster2k3
Settler

Local Time: 05:31
Rusher, newegg.com has some great deals on hardware. You can substantially upgrade your video card to one that supports DirectX 8 for a nicely small price (i.e., ATI OEM RADEON 7000 VE 32MB DDR W/TV for $38 (includes shipping).