Old November 24, 2002, 06:21   #1
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 05:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Barbarians as a civ
I am considering putting barbarians as a civilization in my game that controls cities, units, etc...

Here are my questions...

How do I do it?
Will they be at war with everybody?
Can they produce units?
Can someone help me implement them?

Thanks,
Pap
Old November 24, 2002, 12:07   #2
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 07:31
How do I do it?

You use CivCity to transfer the control of a few cities to them.

Will they be at war with everybody?

Yes.

Can they produce units?

Up to a point. They seem to stop when they come to own more than a certain number of cities.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:35   #3
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 12:31
Rather only the barbarian cities that are near the "start" of the city list will produce units, I have no idea how many cities will do it, and sometimes not even those cities will.

As for the war thing you can make them start at peace or even allied via hex editing, but you cannot break such an alliance (even via event) so be carefull about that.

You can also change the barbarian's govt, techs and money that way.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:52   #4
klesh
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik
Rather only the barbarian cities that are near the "start" of the city list will produce units, I have no idea how many cities will do it, and sometimes not even those cities will.

Stange, any one else have info on this? I am in the midst of placing cities, so maybe I should stop with the regular civs and place the Barbs first...

-FMK.
Old November 24, 2002, 13:53   #5
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 13:31
Re: Barbarians as a civ
Quote:
Originally posted by Pap1723
Can they produce units?
Can someone help me implement them?
As said by Leo, they only produce units "up to a point". So simply make some test runs, and look if they build and "release" new units (IIRC, they always have something in the build lists, but sometimes do not finish it), otherwise use events to create units for them (the FW editors don´t let you specify "Barbarians" as owners in "CreateUnit" events, but you can do this in a text editor. I´d also recommend using the "RandomTurn" option for creating barbs (low value - units are randomly created, but very often; high value - units are created at a slower rate)

If you want to give the player a chance to "contain" the barb threat, set the creation points for barb units directly on the coodinates of their cities. Once the player conquered such a city their creation will stop or they´ll be created in another barb city (if you defined more than creation points via coordinates)

If you want to make their cities hard to conquer, create strong defenders with move=0, and put some of them in their cities via cheat menu, because otherwise all except one barb unit will run away and go plundering

You could also place the Great Wall wonder in a barb city so they have always city walls (as long it doesn´t expire)
Old November 24, 2002, 13:58   #6
klesh
King

Re: Re: Barbarians as a civ
Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
If you want to give the player a chance to "contain" the barb threat, set the creation points for barb units directly on the coodinates of their cities. Once the player conquered such a city their creation will stop or they´ll be created in another barb city (if you defined more than creation points via coordinates)

I was under the impression that any units created and given to a civ or barbs under AI control within cities will tend to stay in those cities and not venture out for a fight. In Stalingrad I try to mix the two by occasionally buffering the cities, but also generating units outside the cities as well. A mix.

-FMK.
Old November 27, 2002, 02:14   #7
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:31
Quote:
Originally posted by Henrik

As for the war thing you can make them start at peace or even allied via hex editing, but you cannot break such an alliance (even via event) so be carefull about that.
This is very interesting. Can you explain in a bit more detail how this is done and what the effects are?
Old November 27, 2002, 08:34   #8
Thoddy
Warlord

Local Time: 12:31
Quote:
Originally posted by techumseh

This is very interesting. Can you explain in a bit more detail how this is done and what the effects are?
use a diplo to establish a embassy with the barbarians.
At the same turn you can speak normally with the barbarian leader (Attilla) via diplomenu.

Next turn the embassy disappears. And you are never able to reestablish another one.
Or do some hexedit.

Barbarian cities dont act as a nation.
produced unit attack next city. If the next city is a barbarian city it seems the unit walks randomly and in some cases no more units will be produced.

barbarian civs can research new technologys but they loose every researched tech at the next turn.

in the movement of barbarian units is a lot randomness.
create 10+mp units (helicopters are great) and you will see. But there is also a distance factor (distance unit-city) for attacking cities (or not) I think.