View Poll Results: Who should be the next Director of Exploration and Intelligence?
Voltaire 5 26.32%
Drogue 14 73.68%
Write-in 0 0%
Xenobanana 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 26, 2002, 07:40   #1
Joeno
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ELECTION: Director of Exploration and Intelligence
Candidates:
Voltaire
Drogue
Write-in
Xenobanana
Old November 26, 2002, 08:10   #2
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 11:37
SPEECH!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old November 26, 2002, 13:45   #3
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Ye ask and I shall oblige.

Basically if i become DoEI i'll do all the usualy stuff: asking, pleading and blackmailing ( ) the DoIA and DoPO for more probe teams/foils/cruisers and other exploration units; polling on where to move probe teams, who to infiltrate and what to do once we have.

Personally, my main priorities are
- To have an infiltrator in every faction (priority given to factions we're at war with)
- To steal all and any techs from our enemies
- To explore as much of the map as possible, while keeping patrols on expected Hive attack paths and...
- Asking the DoIA for Ec to buy important cities from our opponents (especially The Hive (CN) or if an enemy builds the Empath Guild)

Vote Drogue!

Phew!

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old November 26, 2002, 15:21   #4
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 04:37
I ran for this post to maintain the integrity of democracy, all these one candidate elections are a disgrace to what we stand for, the people need an alternative for that is what democracy depends on. There must be choice, and choice there will be.

My policy if elected for the position of Director of Exploration and Intelligence differs greatly from that of my worth opponent.

First of all I stand opposed unwarranted infiltration of all factions, why should we be spying on our friends, while leaving ourselves vulnerable to our enemies? We need to concentrate our forces against the Hive in this war, we need to win it without ever shedding blood, and through infiltration and sabotage we can do so.

As for acquiring technology from our enemies, I will agree fully with Drogue. Though I will add that if it is paramount and in our interests to acquire technology from factions whom we are not at war with (but certainly have conflicting interests). Such actions should be left as an option on the table if circumstances arise when factions hostile to democratic ideals become a threat to our security and freedom.

Again exploration is important, and I am in agreement that we need to explore as much of the map as possible while maintaining patrols against a possible Hiverian attack. But we should place a higher priority on discovering other factions over mere exploration to further our diplomatic, economic, scientific, and military interests.

Thank you and good day.

-Voltaire
Election Speech, Datalinks
Old November 26, 2002, 15:56   #5
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Double post deleted, sorry

Last edited by Drogue; November 26, 2002 at 16:01.
Old November 26, 2002, 16:00   #6
Drogue
staff

I agree with my honourable opponent's sentiment, that spying on our friends is a questionable action. However then he condones acquiring "technology from factions whom we are not at war with". I agree that such actions should be kept on the table, but almost I believe that people would not vote for such a hostile move, even against the ideological enemies of the Peacekeepers, if we are not at war. I think infiltration is a handy safeguard were the worst to happen and war be declared, and it also helps us in determining research priorities (in terms of what we can trade) and as such is helpful to both us and the faction we infiltrate. I believe though questionable, spying upon factions we are still friendly with (though at a lesser priority than our enemies) is still not a major incident, and since freeflow on information is one of our key aims, is in line with our philosophy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Voltaire
We need to concentrate our forces against the Hive in this war, we need to win it without ever shedding blood, and through infiltration and sabotage we can do so.
I wholeheartedly agree, and I think infiltration and sabotage against the Hive should be the highest priority for our probe teams currently.

Quote:
We should place a higher priority on discovering other factions over mere exploration.
Again I echo this, as I tried to hint at in my first post. Although to seperate 'mere exploration' with discovering other factions is relatively difficult, since we do not know where the other factions are, and so do not know where to explore. We should make contact, infiltrate and trade with other factions as a matter of highest importance.

Good luck Voltaire. May the best Peacekeeper win.

Old November 26, 2002, 17:43   #7
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

We are in agreement then Drogue, which is good to hear. It seems to me, if I may make the observation, that politics themselves have become less relevant as we being to poll more and more on all issues to let the people decide, since ultimately the people’s representatives are there only to carry out the will of the people, not push their own agenda. Perhaps with this in mind my earlier generalization about the failure of the electoral system was hasty as it now becomes more clear that it is not that government posts in one candidate elections are given away due to no opposition, but rather perhaps that we have outgrown the concept of opposition altogether due to the fact that our democracy on Planet is closer in line with direct democracy that it is with representative democracy.
Old November 26, 2002, 17:55   #8
Drogue
staff

Exactly. An aim that was attempted many times on old earth and never (to my knowledge) has succeeded. But now we need to ask ourselves is this better? And do we need Directors any more? I suspect that later in the game, with many more units to control and choices to make, more power will rest in the hands of directors.

Old November 26, 2002, 18:07   #9
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 13:37
Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
I suspect that later in the game, with many more units to control and choices to make, more power will rest in the hands of directors.
Believe me. Directors have little power over units, even if they make orders for them. It's the commissioner which has all the powers...
Old November 26, 2002, 19:03   #10
Drogue
staff

I haven't compared the orders and the reality exactly yet. But was it really that bad? 1 or 2 I can imagine, but I can't imagine DBTS would screw up that badly

Old November 26, 2002, 19:11   #11
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

During this month the orders followed have dropped from something like 75% in the beginning to 25% the latest turnplaysession.
Old November 26, 2002, 19:15   #12
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
During this month the orders followed have dropped from something like 75% in the beginning to 25% the latest turnplaysession.
If that’s the case, the commissioner has too much power and the directors not enough.
Old November 26, 2002, 19:22   #13
Maniac

The problem is practically no one else wants to do the job of commissioner and I'm viewed as an annoying guy when I dare complaining about somebody not doing their job well.
Old November 26, 2002, 21:01   #14
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 08:37
not to get off topic here, but maybe it's because DBTS has been doing threads instead of chats?
Old November 26, 2002, 21:31   #15
Voltaire
King

Quote:
The problem is practically no one else wants to do the job of commissioner and I'm viewed as an annoying guy when I dare complaining about somebody not doing their job well.
Well if someone is not doing their job we need to have a process of impeachment.
Old November 27, 2002, 03:56   #16
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

I voted for Drogue, his ideas are closest to my own ideas about E&I.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old November 27, 2002, 05:24   #17
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

YES I SCREWED UP FORMERS ORDERS! I KNOW! BUT DEI ORDERS I DIDNT!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old November 27, 2002, 05:38   #18
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Quote:
BUT DEI ORDERS I DIDNT!
Actually you did
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Old November 27, 2002, 11:17   #19
Maniac

Quote:

Well if someone is not doing their job we need to have a process of impeachment.
Then we should fire half the current government...
Old November 27, 2002, 11:20   #20
Voltaire
King

Quote:

Sure, but we’d be left with no one to do the job.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:31   #21
Drogue
staff

Quote:
Really! Even though I disagree with some of their opinions, most of the directors seem to be doing quite well IMHO.

Old November 27, 2002, 11:47   #22
Maniac

Have a look at the ACDG Directory: Term III. Darkness' Edge hasn't posted even one Peackeeping Operations poll or organized an official discussion thread this month. Makahlua and dmm1285 have simply disappeared. And DBTS is taking liberties with order interpretations. That's four of our ten officials, almost half of them.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:52   #23
Drogue
staff

But there hasn't been much need for DPO polls, all military ones so far have either been about production (DBP) or 'what we should so if' (DFA). We have no military so no need for DPO orders yet. dmm1285 only took the position out because there was no-one else IIRC, and true hasn't posed for a while. I think Makahlua got scared off by the trial.

Old November 27, 2002, 12:26   #24
Maniac

Quote:
But there hasn't been much need for DPO polls, all military ones so far have either been about production (DBP) or 'what we should so if' (DFA).
Then, seeing the absence of Makahlua, he should have created discussions about where to build what military units himself, and have posted build requests in the orders thread. I did so concerning formers and sea formers.

Quote:
dmm1285 only took the position out because there was no-one else IIRC, and true hasn't posed for a while. I think Makahlua got scared off by the trial.
You're right and it's understandable. But at least they could've posted a resignation which would have allowed the AT to take over those jobs or let other volunteers perform them.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:36   #25
Drogue
staff

True, but since I'm against building military units, I'll agree with DE's silence on the matter

Old November 27, 2002, 12:36   #26
Voltaire
King

Quote:
You're right and it's understandable. But at least they could've posted a resignation which would have allowed the AT to take over those jobs or let other volunteers perform them.
Who’s performing their duties now?
Old November 27, 2002, 12:40   #27
Drogue
staff

No one. Maniac gave orders for last turnthread, but no one officially (they haven't officially left)

Old November 27, 2002, 12:41   #28
Maniac

Whoever feels up to it and shouts loudest...
Old November 27, 2002, 12:45   #29
Voltaire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
No one. Maniac gave orders for last turnthread, but no one officially (they haven't officially left)
Quote:
Whoever feels up to it and shouts loudest...
I didn’t think things were this bad.

And aren’t there procedures for a scenario such as this one where a director is not performing their duties in the constitution, perhaps an order of succession of who gets the job?
Old November 27, 2002, 12:50   #30
Drogue
staff

AT get's it, but with more than one, were have a problem. So close to elections there didn't seem to be much of a point in re-electing.