Old November 26, 2002, 09:21   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:37
Local Date: November 1, 2010
How many turns on Dec 1?
Are we planning on having a Hot Day where we go through several turns on Dec 1?

Who is going to start the game and determine if anyone has an extremely awful starting position?
Old November 26, 2002, 09:48   #2
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Local Time: 12:37
Hm, i suggest to make a slow start for the first 3 turns... there is enough to discuss after seeing the starting position...
Old November 26, 2002, 10:37   #3
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Wasn't there a better solution found here?
Old November 26, 2002, 11:01   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 07:37
That's what I thought as well... one turn on this upcoming Sunday, and the first real turnchat a week later, so teams have time to become familiar with their surroundings.
Old November 26, 2002, 11:02   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:37
How about starting the first turn now?? most teams are ready
Old November 26, 2002, 11:13   #6
AroSch
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Hmmh... yes, I agree, starting on Dec 1 as normal. Then each team gets a day with turn one. Later we meet for an accelerated session. This sounds good so far.

But what, if one Civ has a really bad SP? Restart or have they to accept?
Old November 26, 2002, 11:32   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We did talk about it, but are still looking for an imparcial judge to screen the map
Old November 26, 2002, 14:40   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 06:37
Quote:
Originally posted by AroSch
Hmmh... yes, I agree, starting on Dec 1 as normal. Then each team gets a day with turn one. Later we meet for an accelerated session. This sounds good so far.

But what, if one Civ has a really bad SP? Restart or have they to accept?
the idea was to have the map randomly generated, and have someone who's not playing look at all the SP and judge if they're bearable.

not sure how thats going.
Old November 26, 2002, 17:53   #9
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Hi folks!
I think in about the first 10 rounds someone might realize he is stuck on a small deserted island, without fresh water.
(will he just sit thee and grow a beard?)

So get to that point fast, upcoming Sunday...
Old November 27, 2002, 05:38   #10
AroSch
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX

the idea was to have the map randomly generated, and have someone who's not playing look at all the SP and judge if they're bearable.
Well, sonds good to me. May be this "someone" shold do this now? So we could start on Dec 1st.
Old November 27, 2002, 05:42   #11
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:37
Who could we appoint to screen the start locations? Who here would be the best judge of starting location?
Old November 27, 2002, 05:57   #12
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by AroSch
Well, sonds good to me. May be this "someone" shold do this now? So we could start on Dec 1st.
I'm assuming that "someone" would, if we had any idea what civ some of the teams we're going to pick...
Old November 27, 2002, 07:23   #13
alva
Deity

Quote:
Who could we appoint to screen the start locations? Who here would be the best judge of starting location?
Aeson was willing, but he hasn't PTW yet
Old November 27, 2002, 07:46   #14
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
Hi folks!
I think in about the first 10 rounds someone might realize he is stuck on a small deserted island, without fresh water.
Keep in mind that it typically takes five turns just to build your first warrior (or even longer if the first tile worked is flood plain or regular grassland), so only expansionist civs would be likely to find out much about their surroundings within the first ten turns of the game. Unless an island is very small, it takes a while to verify that it's an island rather than having a connection with other land somewhere.
Old November 27, 2002, 09:53   #15
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay

Keep in mind that it typically takes five turns just to build your first warrior (or even longer if the first tile worked is flood plain or regular grassland), so only expansionist civs would be likely to find out much about their surroundings within the first ten turns of the game. Unless an island is very small, it takes a while to verify that it's an island rather than having a connection with other land somewhere.
I just playtested a game where I played with the exact settings that we're planning to use... the random map turned out to be an archiapelago and most civs were on single-civ islands (the exceptions being that there two larger islands with 2 civs on them). All islands were in contact and islands that no civ had started on had been already claimed by civs by the end of the Ancient Age.

Interesting, the two civs that started on the largest island were the furthest behind in technology because all of the other civs had come into contact with each other before discovering their sizable island (which had 2 extra islands they'd taken as well).

Given that we're playing on RANDOM landmass, we have no idea what things will look like. But generally it's only if it's an archiapelago map that a civ can really get screwed by being isolated on a lonely island (which happens to be why we shouldn't have done random landmass.... but oh well).
Old November 27, 2002, 17:31   #16
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 03:37
My understanding is that we will START THE GAME on Dec 1, with each team doing a turn and passing on the save. A week later we will meet for the megga turnchat, pass-the-save-fest, etc, etc.

This is perfect for me because I will not be back to my computer before 9pm EST on Sunday. I am traveling this weekend to visit family and will be returning late.

When I return, I'll check to see if it's my team's turn yet. If so, I'll do the move, post the save, and get my people their screenshot.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old November 27, 2002, 18:04   #17
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Even on a Pangena map, you can have a civ that's on a deserted island.

If anything, being on a deserted island is better when there's no big contienant because everybody is in their own, but highly similar boat.
Old November 27, 2002, 18:44   #18
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I also like the week later idea.
Old November 27, 2002, 19:25   #19
statusperfect
King

Week later.
Old November 27, 2002, 20:58   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Arnelos
But generally it's only if it's an archiapelago map that a civ can really get screwed by being isolated on a lonely island (which happens to be why we shouldn't have done random landmass.... but oh well).
I've found that on the Continents setting at least one and usually two civs start on an isolated island.