Settler

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
MOO2 won't run....
Win 2K
Pentium 400Mhz
250MB Ram
4GB HD
3D Rage Pro AGP w/4MB (Desktop res at 1280x1024)
Legacy(?) audio
DirectX 8.1

Trying to get MOO2 to run on the box at work for lunchtime fun, but no love.

Launch Orion95.exe and the screen goes black for the res change, then come back to desktop and nothing happens. Desktop icons disappear and the cursor is premently set at the hourglass, though I can click on Start to reboot the system.

Tried setting the desktop to 1024x768 and also setting properties on the shortcut for window maximized, but nothing.

Help!
GhostTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 12:49   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:38
Have you looked at ntcomaptible.com? The only windows system that I never ran Moo2 on was W2K.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 15:21   #3
GhostTX
Settler

Only thing on NTCompatible.com is the possible service pack 3 and logictech drivers.

This box has SP3 and no logitech drivers.
Old November 26, 2002, 18:00   #4
Yolky
Prince

I am not computer smart but since Moo2 is an old game maybe try putting your settings to only 16true colour with 680x400 screen resulution. I know nothing of win2k.

Also do you have the patch? in know I had problems running Moo2 in windows95 but could run it in dos. When patch isnstalled had no problem running the game. Hope that helps.

Davor
Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2002, 18:31   #5
vmxa1
Deity

I have heard of so many people with issues of games on W2K, that is why I say go to XP, but that may be out of your hands, since it is work.
Old November 26, 2002, 18:35   #6
GhostTX
Settler

Ya...got the 1.31 patch installed, too.

Tried the 16bit color as well.. (though only did a 1024x768 trial run).

I'm at a loss...even got 'newer' ATI drivers installed.

Unfortunately, the 2000 to XP is out of my hands...would have to get IT to change it over and hard to justify with a " because I wanna play a game."
Old November 26, 2002, 21:28   #7
kalbear
Warlord

Local Time: 11:38
I had no end of problems running it on Win2K. It eventually ran, but would not display the cursor. That was basically the last straw - it made the game unplayable.

Only real option was to go for Win98.

If it's any consolation, you could, in theory, go back to a previous DirectX run if possible - but I think that's too much work for this great old game.
kalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 04:27   #8
catullus
Warlord

Local Time: 12:38
Problems with W2K here, too.
Most probably it was the last DX that broke MOO2. So I stuck to MOO1 for some time. Didn't mean much, I always thought the original was way better.
Now I use XP and MOO2 runs like a charm. MOO1 I haven't been able to run yet, though. So I'm rediscovering MOO2, and it's a better game than I remembered it to be.

C.
catullus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2002, 10:09   #9
GhostTX
Settler

Is there a way to run the DOS version of MOO2 under Win2K?

I could live without sound...just as long as I could see it and the mouse worked.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:08   #10
piratebrun
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:38
I have had no problems running under win2k at all... just make sure you have installed the latest service pack for 2k and you should be fine. If not, I dunno
Old November 27, 2002, 13:43   #11
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by catullus
Problems with W2K here, too.
Most probably it was the last DX that broke MOO2. So I stuck to MOO1 for some time. Didn't mean much, I always thought the original was way better.
Now I use XP and MOO2 runs like a charm. MOO1 I haven't been able to run yet, though. So I'm rediscovering MOO2, and it's a better game than I remembered it to be.

C.
Have you not tried to get Moo1 going or has it failed in XP? I had no problems getting it to run on my XP PRO, with sound no less.
Old November 28, 2002, 06:01   #12
catullus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

Have you not tried to get Moo1 going or has it failed in XP? I had no problems getting it to run on my XP PRO, with sound no less.
Tried and failed.
I just can't get EMS to work. Seems it MIGHT be a hardware thing. Rumours are some sparkling new computers (and especially laptops) won't support EMS under no OSes. I'll try to run it under an emulator.

C.
Old November 28, 2002, 14:39   #13
vmxa1
Deity

Do you get an error msg, but can not see it has it flashes by?

Right click on the exe and select properties and then Program tab. Clear the close on exit box. This will allow the dos window to remain open so you can see the msg.

Was it a memory issue?

Go to the exe properties select Mem tab. Set the three drop downs to the highest values. Check protected and use HMA boxes.

Does the game require EMS?

If so you should create copies of the Config.Nt and Autoexec.NT files and put them in the directory of that game.
Edit the Config.NT file and check the box for compatible timer. I have not need the autoexec so far, so change the Config filename to point to the new one you are creating. In this file add EMM=RAM after dos=high statement. This will force emulation of EMS memory.
Other items may require changs to Config or even Autoexec and will likely be defined in the install doc for that game, I have not required any so far and all of my games are runningat this time, but I may buy others later.

It could be that you need to go to the compat tab and select run in compat mode for Win95. A game that requires 256 colors may need that box checked.
Misc tab you should look at the Exclusive mode for the mouse. Resolution 640 may be required for some.

Windows XP has a tool that can be downloaded to test various setting for desperate situations.
Old November 29, 2002, 04:30   #14
catullus
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Was it a memory issue?
Go to the exe properties select Mem tab. Set the three drop downs to the highest values. Check protected and use HMA boxes.
Does the game require EMS?
have not need the autoexec so far, so change the Config filename to point to the new one you are creating. In this file add EMM=RAM after dos=high statement. This will force emulation of EMS memory.
Been there, done that. No matter what I do, EMS show as 0. Long time since I did any real DOS stuff, but as I remember it, no DOS program ever can be made to access memory above 1M.
So EMS need some large free memory chunks (64K contigous free?) in the 640K to 1M area to use as cache area for the otherwise inaccesible +1M area. It might be that the PC maker already has reserved the whole 640-1024 area for other stuff, like disk cache, since very, very few programs in use today rely on EMS.
Come to think of it, I never did a classify of the 640-1024 area. Maybe it's possible to throw something out? Or disable disk cache (or whatever) in BIOS?

Oh, and IIRC, MOO may refuse to run if you give too much EMS (more than 8?) in the drop down box in the pif. 2-4M is enough for most old apps.

Anyway, I found DosBox (http://dosbox.cjb.net/) and, although graphics seem slow, MOO runs nicely now. Haven't tried adding vdmsound, yet. And not entered tactical combat.
The ability of playing MOO in a resizeable windows is fantastic.

C.
Old November 29, 2002, 06:24   #15
Yolky
Prince

please remeber I am not very computer smart so don't flame me for this.

I had trouble once playing Moo on my computer under widows ME once.

I made a short cut on my desk top. I right clicked it and went to properties. Then clicked on memeory tab. My ems was disabled and I could do nothing to get it back. What I relised at the time was when I added my fast dsl software it disabled my ems, so I reformated my hardrive and reinstalled everything from scratch and got new software and there it was my ems was back.

I don't know how win2k or xp or anything else works so this might not be an issue but try that.

Make a shortcut to desktop, right click on the icon and select properties, then go to memory tab if you have one and select auto for your ems or any combination of numbers you have.

Tell me if this works so I can be more knowladgeable about other operating systems.

Davor
Yolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2002, 15:30   #16
vmxa1
Deity

I have a shortcut for orion.exe that I use to start the game. It has under the mem tab ems 2048. I have no problems what so ever in XP using it and I have DSL via SBCGLOBAL. It did not require any software (it did in win98). I have sound, but that could be a function of the sound card or mother board. Anyway I hate to see anyone not being able to play Moo, so I am glad you have it going.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:11   #17
catullus
Warlord

Could anyone/everyone getting MOO to run under XP do a normal command prompt (run - cmd) and execute a mem /c
And paste the result here?
Please?

C.
Old December 4, 2002, 18:33   #18
vmxa1
Deity

For what it is worth.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mem.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	30722  
Old December 10, 2002, 06:02   #19
catullus
Warlord

Thanx, vmxa1.
Looks like I was right. My SYSTEM-area in Upper Memory is larger than yours. In additition, it breaks free memory in two, leaving no block larger than 45K. 64K is needed.
BIOS settings next.

C.