Old November 26, 2002, 16:57   #1
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Dont raze sell the family silver first.
Someone else may have already done this but Im too lazy to search the threads so I'll post it any way.

I was fighting the Egyptians (I was Rome) in my most recent game and they put up one hell of a fight outnumbering my units about 6 to 1. I had a slight tech lead and more cities than them so I knew that if I concentrated on defense sooner or later I would gain the advantage.

The advantage came when I started to press the war into their territory with my shiny new tanks against their infantry and calvary. I had managed to maintain rapid research and get well ahead of them so I began cranking out the tanks like nobodies business and set about cutting the roads to their capitol and pillaging all their resources.

Sure enough their unit production slowly ground to a halt and my tanks had to deal with the occasional longbowman. I now began the job of removing them from the face of the earth, they had started this war and I was going to finish it.

My empire was IMO already large enough so I did not want their cities but instead of just razing them as I would normally do in this situation I started accepting control of them, selling everything in them ie improvements for gold and then abandoning them after a couple of turns when my tanks had recovered a little. I had Sun Tzu so I always got barracks in them as it was on my continent.

They had built lots of improvements in their cities and I got about 100 to 150 gold for every city I captured by flogging everything off.

As I said someone else has most likely already done this and posted here already but I was quite pleased with myself.
Old November 26, 2002, 17:20   #2
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
As long as your going to the trouble of keeping the city initally and selling the improvements, you should rush build lots of workers and disband it via building a worker as pop 1. (Adjust workforce to turn that 1 citizen into a specalist.)

Since these workers are foreign, they'll now enslaved and require no maintenance.
Old November 27, 2002, 05:54   #3
ProPain
Settler

Local Time: 14:38
Although you get more workers and gold when you capture a city, sell the improvements and dissolve it building workers, I prefer just razing them for several reasons.

- Instant workers
- Disbanding after capturing tranfers the city unhapiness to one of your other cities. Disbanding a city where has been whipped/drafted will cripple another, potientially productive city.
- Prevent domination vic when applicable

joncnunn : Are you sure 'homegrown' workers of a different nationallty are maintenance free as well? I alwys thought captures= slave, built=maintenance.

ProPain
Old November 27, 2002, 09:16   #4
badman
Warlord

Local Time: 13:38
And I'm just too lazy to take care of those cities so I raze them
I'd probably forget to rush the workers anyways.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:29   #5
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 06:38
Civ III doesn't keep track of who built the workers, it only assigns the workers the nationality of the citizen used to create the worker.

Also if you have an all foreign city (same nationality) and build a settler before it grows, you now have a foreign settler and when you build a city, it's a foreign citizen.

One reason not to raze cities: If your a democracy, it seems to increase the Give Peace a Chance protests.

I'm now using 7 luxaries, 20% luxaries and all extra citiznes as entertainers to keep order. (Next turn I get the 8th luxary, it seems to take a turn for colonies just formed to take effect. This luxary was 2 squares away from a captured city I kept, so it's going to be a while before it gets within my cultural boundary.)
Old December 1, 2002, 00:38   #6
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 11:38
In my current game Razing really did me in, back in the Middle ages, i Razed the entire russian empire (I wanted my OWN glorious cites, not ai sh1te).

I'm now in the Modern ages and cant get a democratic win for the life of me, despite otherwise being a good boy and doing lots of giftgiving. Razing and enslaving = very poor reputation
Old December 1, 2002, 05:09   #7
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Well you might as well raise the rest of them now and aim for Diplo win in your next game.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 1, 2002, 12:13   #8
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 11:38
Am doing so, but my people are just LOVING it
Old December 1, 2002, 12:17   #9
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well for such loyalty to your supreme leadership they deserve some entertainment, notch it up 10% and they will love you forever!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.