Old November 26, 2002, 20:09   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Managing your civ for the benefit of your UUs
It seems to me that given the wider range of UU attributes and costs introduced by PTW, we should have a discussion about how to manage your civ's development - city placement, number of cities, tile improvement, etc. - towards maximizing the benefit of your use and application of the respective UU.

Actually, this could be applied to non-UU strategies as well, but I think it's more illustrative to examine the extremes.

This should be especially helpful for newer players, who, having learned the basics of the early game (from "Winning Early" and cracker's great stuff on CFC), are now ready to get past the generics of tile improvement and into the next level of game strategy.

ARRGGHH... too much preamble!!

Here's my point:

Start with Gallic Warriors. They can be devastating, but DAMN they're expensive!!! If you're playing Celts, and you realize early on that you DO want to be warmongering during the Swords period, what does that mean you have to focus on??

Well, the problem is not gonna be having enough Warriors... it's the money!

Actually, let's be clear here:

One approach to assembling up a large force of GallicWs would be to have fewer but larger towns, wait for IW, road the Iron if not already connected (which is on a Hill or Mountain), and start building. Yuck... takes too long (remember, we want to achieve relative strength, either at the unit or total force level or BOTH, as early as possible).

A second approach would be to pre-build maaaaany Warriors, whether through a lot of small towns or fewer big towns / cities, and mass upgrade ASAP after IW. Well, that's the no-brainer winner for me.

So, a question: In the first 80 turns or less (BW and IW), how can you build up maximum bank, above and beyond all of the general guidelines for early gameplay?

* This is definitely a case where I'd start at 20% research, and reduce it to 10% ASAP.

* I'd prioritize a couple of core towns as my powerhouses, but just a few. I would want them to be my capitol and nearby towns, on rivers, and with gold or commerce-generating luxuries available. These would later be used as my builder cities (marketplaces, GWs, etc.), but would initially be my barracks towns in order to produce vet GallicWs, and maybe later vet Spearmen.

* Otherwise, I'd basically ICS at first, 2-4 tile spacing, slamming out as many new towns and Warriors as I could... no Barracks here, just reg Warriors (any problems with that? didn't think so), Settlers, and Workers. Again, important to situate them to take advantage of rivers and commerce-generating resources. They probably would never get above 3 pop for this whole initial part of the game. Some of them would probably be abandoned in the long term. What's important, besides generating a ridiculous number of upgradeable Warriors, is that MORE TOWNS = MORE GOLD.

* You're gonna have a lot of Warriors... a LOT! Three primary uses: garrisoning, exploration, and extra-territorial pillaging.

* Town tile improvement: whatever generates the most gold comes first... I'm not worried about food or shields, as Warriors are so easy to build. That means starting with tiles next to rivers, especially commerce-generating resources, and road before you mine. ROAD ROAD ROAD!!!

* Military tile improvement: This is something often neglected, but is is critical... figure out your likely lines of attack, and road to the front. If possible, the launch / retreat point should be a hill or mountain. Specific to GallicWs, even counter-attacking MWs shouldn;t be a problem if you set this up right.

* Trade: SHOW ME THE MONEY!! Sell anything and everything... maps, tech (incl. BW), communications... for gold. Probably the only tech I'd want to trade for would be Writing. You're gonna extort the rest.

I'm sure there are probably some other good thoughts I'm missing, but you get the point. Start you warmongering with 20-30 of these bad boys within a few turns of discovering IW, and say BUH-BYE to anyone within striking distance.

Any thoughts? Other UUs and how to build your game around them?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old November 26, 2002, 20:33   #2
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 05:39
You've hit upon the biggest snag in the Gallic Warrior arena - upgrade money.

I found, though, that because they are, essentially, extra strong horsemen, you don't need as many to start a war.

When I tried the Celts, I had about 20 warriors to upgrade, but could only afford to upgrade 2.
Switch production in one or two "underproductive" towns to Wealth
Use a Scientist instead of 10% Research
And switch production in any productive town to GallicSwordsmem - the 2 move means that even from the other side of your budding "empire", they'll make the front in no time.

In this case, once a town is done with settler-barracks production, you want the few citizens you can afford to keep content to be working the most productive tiles possible, even if that means locking down growth.
I'd rather have a few towns "stuck" at 3-4 pop than to spend even more of my upgrade money on the Luxury slider, so put your citizens on hills instead of wheat, unless the wheat allows 2 or more citizens to work mountains or hills with bonuses(bonusi?)

For these costly, but fast, units, an efficient road network is key, as well, as you'll be sending them from all over your empire to the front. Think "shortest path possible".

Another thing to consider - make your first "victim" your richest neighbor - hit him hard and fast and - here's the important part - make peace ASAP and clean out his treasury, to upgrade more Gauls, to hit your "real" target/victim.

You are right on here, with Celts, it's all about the money from Start to Ironworking. Once you kick-off your GA, then money can take a backseat to production, assuming you are big enough to crank out gobs of these guys.

P.S. These guys make short work of Hoplites, btw. You need 2-4 Gauls per town - spread em out and rest between injuries, even if it means postponing an attack on a town. Back up, heal up, try again. Don't let yourself think, oh surely I can finish them off, even injured. Don't do it. Give your guys a rest and they'll treat you right.
Old November 26, 2002, 21:04   #3
GusSmed
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:39
Gallic Warriors really aren't that bad. I know they look different, but you should really think of them as being funny Horsemen. They're 150% of a Horseman for 160% of the cost.

I wouldn't focus so much on making money. Upgrading units isn't very efficient unless you have Leonardo's. You get 1 Shield for every 2 gold. A typical Despotic tile produces 1 or 2 shields and 1 trade. The real shield production is 2x - 4x the "virtual" shield production you get by converting gold to upgrades.

Hence, if you've got a huge backlog of units to upgrade when you get the tech you're waiting for (Iron Working or Horseback Riding), you've shifted the burden from you strength (shield production) to your weakness (gold production). You really should have focused on getting the tech earlier, so you could use the more efficient shield production.

The deciding point for any early rush - Archer, Horseman, Gallic Swordsman - is the point where you have 4+ towns, all of which have Barracks, and a large enough army to take and hold a single town. That's 6 Archers or Horsemen or 4 Gallic Swordsmen, and 1 or two Spearmen.

If it looks like you're going to get Iron Working well before you're ready to convert to a war economy, by all means reduce your Science slider to 10% and start stocking up gold for conversion. It's inefficient, but why research a bunch of extra tech before you start your war? You're just going to extort everything from then on from the AI.

Since it's harder to get Horseback Riding than Iron Working, and I usually end up retarding my science slider a bit because I'm not quite ready for war by the time I can get Horseback Riding, it makes sense to stockpile gold for upgrades.

However, it doesn't make sense to stockpile a horde of Warriors that you can't afford to upgrade. They cost 1g a turn each once you've hit your unit limit. I wouldn't stockpile more than 1 per 100 gold in your treasury (the upgrade cost), plus maybe 1 or 2 extra, tops.

- Gus
Old November 26, 2002, 21:52   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Another thing to consider - make your first "victim" your richest neighbor - hit him hard and fast and - here's the important part - make peace ASAP and clean out his treasury, to upgrade more Gauls, to hit your "real" target/victim.
Nice.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old November 26, 2002, 21:54   #5
Theseus
Emperor

GusSmed: I'm talking about the need for SPEED.

The challenge... have at least 1000 gold upon the connection of your Iron.

Old November 27, 2002, 00:59   #6
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:39
Quote:
Originally posted by GusSmed
Upgrading units isn't very efficient unless you have Leonardo's. You get 1 Shield for every 2 gold. A typical Despotic tile produces 1 or 2 shields and 1 trade. The real shield production is 2x - 4x the "virtual" shield production you get by converting gold to upgrades.

Hence, if you've got a huge backlog of units to upgrade when you get the tech you're waiting for (Iron Working or Horseback Riding), you've shifted the burden from you strength (shield production) to your weakness (gold production). You really should have focused on getting the tech earlier, so you could use the more efficient shield production.
My experience is that you have it backward. Gold is both more easily acquired and a more flexible resource than shields in the very early game. Any river tile automatically produces one gold; a road does the same. Shields are available only with bonus grasslands or a mine. Multiple shields from one tile through mining again requires a bonus grassland or a bonus resource - a mined hill needs a 3-food tile to support the citizen working the hill (at least while in despotism). Mining takes 6 worker turns (3 for industrious), roading takes 4 worker turns (2 for non-industrious). More importantly, each city square produces at least 2 gold and only one shield -- every city defaults to producing more gold than shields.

All that is secondary though. The two most important factors are: (1) shields requires city population which in turn requires happiness -- either you have luxuries nearby or you spend gold on entertainment (this factor is accentuated as you move up the difficulty level); and (2) gold is a variable largely within your control -- set science and entertainment spending as needed (even set city production to wealth if you think that makes sense), but shield production is largely out of your control -- it depends on terrain, map features, and difficulty level.

In most cases, gold is less subject to random game variables. In all cases gold provides the player with more flexibility to dictate short term tactics.

Early shields are very valuable. Early gold less so. It is the rare game for me where a straight build makes more sense than taking advantage of the upgrade cost structure.

Catt
Old November 27, 2002, 13:12   #7
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 03:39
I've played the Celts twice now and Iron was never close by. The Map Generator has a very dry sense of Irony (no puny intended of course)
Old November 27, 2002, 13:28   #8
Charis
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:39
The Mongol Horde
Nice article and good thread, Theseus! One comment on the
Gallics and need for speed. You just do NOT have to be as
fast to the punch with Gallics compared to Swords. With
their speed and retreat ability, you can afford a slightly
slower build up (due to the extra shields) and take a route
where you upgrade a few warriors but build the majority of
Gallics. I've played Celts on Emperor, wiping Spain and
Carthage off the map with impunity, around the time the
Ancient era ended. I've also played them on Deity, taking
a longer time to build up because of the AI's bonus units
and speed advantage. It took me until almost the end of the
era to have a five city+barracks core and almost ten Gallics,
but oh my were they effective. I brought China to the verge
of extinction, extorting about six techs, then did a fast punch
to the Ottomans, taking and razing a few cities before they
reached Chivalry and got knights, at which point I extorted
peace. The setup now is very nice for the middle ages for me.
(Before this game I had NEVER tried to take it to the AI
on deity level, and was surprised how well the Gallics did!)
Still, I think I'll give your gold-priority approach a try

To look at other Civs, I thought I would chime in with comments
on a second civ....

-----------

The Mongols

Militaristic, Expanpansionist, with the Keshiks (4/2/2) as UU.
How does one manage their civ around this UU? It's no stronger
than a Knight, and in fact has weaker defense. But the Keshink
is cheaper than a Knight, 60 vs 70 shields. It also has the
special trait of fast movement across mountains. The Mongols
start with Warrior Code and Pottery.

The lower defense and the likely uselessness of fast mountain
travel (compared to 3 speed of Riders or Ansars) suggest these
guys are weak. So let's take good advantage of their lower
shield cost - specifically by treating this as a lower cost
to upgrade - 20 gold less per horseman.

There's a reason their army was referred to as the "Mongol horde"
their advantage is in numbers. Timing is also important, as you
want to see as many Keshiks in the field, vs as few strong
defenders and as few fast counter-attackers as possible. Again,
this BEGS for an instant upgrade horde rather than trying to
build them once you get the Chivalry tech.

Working backwards, what sets you up best for this, in Ancient
times? Two things - a large horseman army and a strong economy.
What better way to achieve both of these than to plan for an
aggressive horseman rush?!

- Starting tech Warrior Code is on the route to HBR. If Japan
is not nearby, research The Wheel. Once getting horseback riding,
cut research back to one scientist or 10%, both to save cash and
because you will use war to gain techs.

- Get those scouts out and about! You want to be a map seller,
not a buyer (for cash), you want a lot of civ contacts (for
cash and for reduced research costs, and trading for Currency
early), and... you want to know where you might get a sneak
attack over a set of mountains. (Not a major strategic advantage,
but if you've got a Keshik horse later, you will just enjoy
the game that much more if they race across mountains to
capture an enemy capital!) If there is a hut in view on the
first turn or so, choose a tech OTHER than the wheel before you
hit the hut (you won't get what you're researching from it).

- A larger number of cities is better than a small number, due
to the moderate cost of horses, and to generate more cash for
later upgrades. If you're an ICS fan, it's certainly well
suited for this type of game. If you're not, still try to build
a few more cities than you might be used to.

- A four city horsemen rush (capital plus three more, with
orders mostly warriors between settlers, then all make barracks)
is a solid option for the start, follow it up as soon as you can
with rapid expansion to build up the number of cities. Add in
those you capture and extort, and your start will be a good one.

- Forget the Iron Working branch! It's not critical that you
need it quickly, it's not needed for your Keshiks, and you
can extort the tech in your first war. The second quick war
will be to get some iron and more important, to deny it.

- As Theseus suggested for Gallic swordsmen, your workers focus
on roads first, both for gold and to really get those horses
to the front line quickly. I also like Txurce's plan of ignoring
most infrastructure that isn't related to military or wealth. The
Mongols are not religious and not scientific, and shouldn't pretend
to be. Let the "hooves of war" be your guide and your laboratory!

- Unlike Theseus' suggestion for Gallics, be sure to build
a lot of barracks and VET horsemen. With units that retreat
at 1hp the vet vs regular difference is HUGE.

* By the end of the Ancient era your goal should be iron and
horse denial to as many neighbor civs as possible!! No iron equals
no strong counterattack against your low defense Keshiks, and no
horses also mean weak counterattacks *which you can retreat from*.

- If you go hog wild with war and end up with three leaders, you'll
probably want a rushed forbidden palace, an army (and Heroic Epic)
and have one left for Leo's Workshop, which will slash the
upgrade cost even further. But if you plan to use Leo's,
the war will occur later (Invention not Chivalry) and you should
crank out that many MORE horsemen to compensate. If I didn't get
this lucky with leaders, I would not 'wait' for Invention and Leo's
before the first upgrade and Middle Age war.

- Your Golden Age is fairly well timed, putting you in a good
position to crank out UU's from most cities, and set aside one or
two for wonder prebuilds - Sun Tzu, Sistine, or Leo.

What makes the Mongols version of the horse/knight pathway different?
- Keshik's don't need Iron! Knights do, as do Ansar Warriors, Riders,
and Samurai. Your cheap cost beats the bonus defense point of the
War Elephant, who need neither Iron nor Horses.
- Japan starts with Wheel and has a defense *4* not a defense 2 UU,
which doesn't even need horses to make. Plus, they're religious.
- Chinese are industrious, better with road building, have a stronger
move 3 UU. Arabs also move 3 and need Iron, but they're not 'mil'.
- Indians and Egypts have mounted UU, but neither are militaristic.
- Iroquois Mounted Warriors beg for Ancient Era dominance, not a
short set of quick wars followed by the main wars in Middle Age.
Plus, they're not militaristic!
- Russia and Ottomans may go this route too, but with Cavalry-based
UU's, their "main push" and Golden Age come quite a bit later

The recommended Barracks-vets, fast scouting approach takes advantage
of the Mongol Mil and Exp traits, and the upgrade-focus takes
advantage of their cheaper UU's. This route also ignores things
that are weak for the Mongols - culture and research.

Charis
Old November 27, 2002, 14:29   #9
Charis
Chieftain

The Fearsome Bowman
Having seen an iron-based and a horse-based UU covered, let's
look at one that needs neither, the Babylonians Bowman.

Babylonians
-----------
Scientific, Religious, with a Bowman UU that is a disgrace
to the traits of the civ and with a horribly mistimed Golden
Age? An offensive UU with a lousy bonus defense point, and
you can't even make them from the start! It's got to be one
of the worst UU around, right??

Maybe not! The Bowman's balance 2.2.1 lets them own barbarians,
hold towns (not jut take or raze them), at no extra cost
to produce. The focus of this thread is managing your civ
around your UU. 'Pure' builders will ignore this UU and
will know what they need to do, so let's assume if you're
reading this, you're not scared to mix it up a bit! Let's
also assume that with this civ you're not going for
ancient conquest. You want a UU-enhanced early push for
your civ that will give you a very strong start towards
a game with a balance of culture and research, building
and war. Babylon starts with Bronze Working and Burial.

Let's look at TWO very different paths, both UU-centric

I. EARLY BOWMEN RUSH

- Strategy is identical to an early archer rush, opening
with two to four cities with barracks, finding the enemy
targets early, and going after them as SOON as you possibly
can. It won't likely be an "Ultra early archer rush" simply
because you don't start with the needed tech.

- Starting research is Warrior Code, at MAX speed you can

- Either OCP or ICS is fine, a few very strong cities, or
more smaller ones. The choice depends on player preference,
whether they are shooting for a cultural or military win,
how much they like to build wonders, etc.

- When you have about five or more vet bowman you're ready to
attack. The benefit of Babylon is that you do NOT have
to be making spearman to come along on attack. If your target
still has warriors on defense and/or didn't start with Bronze
Working, do NOT trade it to him, and gogogo faster. Facing
spears you'll want at least four bowmen per city takeover.

- Terrain improvements slightly favor shields, then food, then
roads.

- Get a temple in your capital as *SOON* as possible, even
first. The 1000yr bonus and the fact most AI ignore this will
give you a critical culture advantage to prevent flips and
improve AI relations. Take advantage of being religious!

- Whip the barracks. You're NOT mil and these are expensive.
Let that temple I mentioned cover this unhappiness. Slide up
luxury if you need to, but with only an attack 2 unit, and a
slow start due to researching WC, you really do want vets.

- Exploration is important, using Warriors you make before
learning WC. You want to find which target to go after,
speed tech research and trading, and deny foes iron and horses.

- If starting positions are culturally linked, you start next
to the Zulu and the Persians (yikes!) Keep two things in mind:
Impis don't retreat if you're attacking them while in their
cities, and a Persian without Iron is a dead Persia.

- Bowmen make GREAT pillaging units (earlier than Legions anyway)
as they can take some punishment, and kill warriors or horses
that try to dislodge them. Early pillaging on the capital can
wreck an AI, and makes them want to pay for peace more than you
would think.

- An early Bowman assault has one big disadvantage - a Golden
Age that languishes in Despotism. It's not THAT bad as the more
typical Middle Age GA will see you making cheap cathedrals and
universities. Also, an early GA push will let you kick some
rear on your *second* foe. If you go to the effort of a Bowman
rush and kick off your GA, for goodness sake don't stop at
one civ, cripple two! (Oscillate, don't try to wipe them out)

II. Monarchy beeline

- Let's take out the main criticism of Bowmen, the ruined
Golden Age, by racing forward towards Monarchy. You already
know Ceremonial Burial, so research Mysticism, Polytheism,
and Monarchy - just 3 techs! Even on Deity level you have
a good chance of reaching polytheism first, giving a MUCH
needed chance to broker for techs and get tech parity.
Even greater benefits if you reach expensive Monarchy
first. As religious, you'll just take one turn to revolt.

- The focus here is to use your UU for an early but GOOD
Golden Age that will put you ahead in the early Middle Ages
where sci and rel get a good workout and where you can
prebuild and effectively snag several nice wonders,
especially Sistine. 'Sci' means free tech there too.

- So what you want to have in place is a budding empire
ready to reap the fruits of a Golden Age. That means
a solid core with a decent amount of cities (not a ton
of corrupt small cities), good tile improvements, and
the tech needed to have something worth building. Trade
for literature or currency.

- In the "Monarchy" path, your war is much later and much
more limited in scope than others. The goal is to cherry
pick a small undefended city, or even a roaming settler
pair in your territory. You may not have iron or horses,
so bowmen are your offense (and defense) in this plan.
Your target is probably ONE civ (rather than two, above)
and you want peace as soon as the other civ will pay
anything for it, so you can focus your GA on infrastructure
and culture/science rather than fighting.

- The difference between this approach and a more common
ignore-Bowman and get Middle Aga GA approach is that you
use your GA and free tech to slingshot yourself ahead
going into the Middle Age, rather than get there after
everyone else and use the GA to catch up and try to pull
ahead a little. You can choose to use this Middle Age
slingshot for peaceful building or to run to Chivalry
with a strong core in place ready to have a second round
of war with Knights while some others may not even have
Feudalism yet.

What makes the Babylon archer rush different from others?
- Almost all others would choose a Mil civ which starts with
Warrior Code. They'll be MUCH quicker than Babylon, especially
with cheap barracks. But you'll have some culture and have
no fear of flips, and get a GA from your archer rush.

If you've only cursed Bowmen up til now, give this a try!
Charis
Old November 27, 2002, 15:03   #10
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The easiest game I had was Babylon (Monarch level), it was after that game that I promoted myself to Emperor level a few months ago.

I used 2 beelines in early game. First I beelined to Literature (for Libary to take advantage of scientific aspect) and then beelined to Monotheism. I built a mixture of Warriors & BowMen (mostly Warriors) in early game, and upgraded the Warriors to Swordmen when I got Iron Working. The Bow Men was used in a light war shortly after I discovered Monarchy for my GA.

I had also successful Rexed about 60% of my starting contienant with 2 other AIs present.
The first war increased my percentage to about 65% (razing of AI city crowding my own and forming a new city a couple of tiles west)

After I had Moble Tradition and was one tech away from entering the Industrial Age, the Persians decided to attack me. The other AI (on a set of deserted islands) actually had the last tech, so I bought it to enter the Industrial Age and get Nationalism for free. I then mobilized the economy which allowed me to easily produce the additional Calvary needed to capture the entire island. (I wasn't worried about flips due to the high culture rating I'd accumulated.)

No additional wars were fought, the game ended in a Culutral Victory.
Old November 27, 2002, 15:20   #11
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

The Knight replacements are more useful on Monarch level than Emperor level for the first war.

(It takes too long for an early war of expansion to get better terraign on the Emperor level for Knights and their replacements.)

What the Knight Replacements are good for on Emperor level is the second war of expansion if your first war of expansion was fought with HorseMen and you build more Horse Men following the war to upgrade.

Swordmen Replacements are only really good for the 1st war of expansion.

The German Panzer is idealy suited for trying for a conquest / domination victory in the late industrial era.
They can't be prebuilt, so you need Factories, Hospitals, and Baracks built well in advance. Consider Mobiliziing for war early as well. If you haven't had a GA yet then Mobilizing + triguring GA could result in a very high Panzer production rate.

Calvary replacement UUs need to be pre built as HorseMen / Knights and upgraded the same turn you get Military Traidition and used in a war right away to maximize their usefulness.

For the American F-15s, just don't build any bombers and instead only build F 15s. These can be prebuilt as fighters. You really want your GA much earlier than Rocketry, so build Copercusus & Hoover Dam.
Old November 27, 2002, 18:49   #12
Theseus
Emperor

Charis, great responses... just what I was looking for!

(ahem, and where are the Strat regulars?? )

On your Keshik strategy, I would think Chariot pre-building would also be very effective, thus making an argument for a very early focus on gold, even if that delays Horseback Riding a little bit.

It's interesting... as I thought about civ management and the mass upgrading strategies to take advantage of UUs (whether cheap and numerous or expensive and powerful), I realized that this whole concept is a very direct demonstration of my Seven Pillars concept.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=67506

Starting from the bottom:

Infrastructure: Many towns for the inexpensive pre-builds. Production efficiency through a focus on tile working for gold.

Key Enabler: Gold and more gold.

Strategic Advantage: Overwhelming relative strength, at BOTH the unit and force level, in warfare.

Cool.

Old November 27, 2002, 22:17   #13
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

The Vikings
---------------------

As the Bezerker has amphibious assault, we should build in order to take advantage of this ability. Therefore, one playing with the Vikings should concentrate to get as many town on coasts to maximize thier galleys production. Galleys are the only unit that should be built from scratch, as Bezerkers can be upgraded. So a good balance of gold and "costal" shields.

Food for thought!

--Kon--
Old November 27, 2002, 22:44   #14
ducki
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Konquest02
The Vikings
---------------------

As the Bezerker has amphibious assault, we should build in order to take advantage of this ability. Therefore, one playing with the Vikings should concentrate to get as many town on coasts to maximize thier galleys production.
Do you really need as many coastal towns "as possible" or do you really just need a few strategically located coastal towns?

I'd opt for strategically placed. As noted on Aeson's "Scouting" thread, you can often make an educated guess about where you can find a Sea Passage based on your landmass shape - drop coastal cities strategically, build as many galleys as you can afford/as you need and send out the first 4 to the points of the compass.
Once you find your enemies, mass your galleys in one harbor, mass your Archers in the same(build a barracks). Once you can, upgrade to Beserk and go, go, go.

The reason I think this works, instead of making as many coastal cities "as possible" is that it's a long enough trip from Mapmaking to Invention that 4 well-placed coastals should be able to crank out enough galleys to get you there.

Another thing to consider - build a buttload of Regular Galleys before you build a harbor - these are your transports - then build a Harbor and crank out a bunch of Vet Galleys - this is your Escort Force - since they are all Vets, they are both the first to Defend and easy to identify. This could be risky.
Old November 27, 2002, 22:57   #15
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

I have remarked that empty galleys defend first. So you might consider gringing a few as an escort.

--Kon--
Old November 28, 2002, 02:41   #16
Theseus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ducki
Another thing to consider - build a buttload of Regular Galleys before you build a harbor - these are your transports - then build a Harbor and crank out a bunch of Vet Galleys - this is your Escort Force - since they are all Vets, they are both the first to Defend and easy to identify. This could be risky.
GODDAMN, I never thought of this! WHATEVER your level of ships, the transports should be regs!

Old November 28, 2002, 03:18   #17
ducki
King

It can be dangerous, Theseus, like I said.
If you get a bad string with the RNG, then your transports are even more at risk, but if you have enough of an Escort, you can crank out all your "real" transports before you can afford to build the Harbor.

Not for everyone, due to the lower HP risk, but might save you quite a few turns earlier on.
Old November 28, 2002, 11:43   #18
Catt
King

I haven't tested it, but nbarclay posited the same theory (reg galleys as transports, vets as escorts), wondering if both were vets which would step up to defend. Soren posted to say that all else being equal, an empty galley would defend before a loaded galley. So the reg-vet combo might not be as important.

Catt
Old November 28, 2002, 12:50   #19
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Strangely enough, if you're being very aggressive early on, you won't have time to build Barracks, and so most of your force will be trained as Regulars. Having units in the field ASAP is far more important in my experience than waiting to make them Veteran. This is especially true for boats, where the chances they'll ever get into battle is slim. Of course, once you're industrial base is moderately strong, Barracks and Harbors are a great addition. People will probably disagree with me on this, but the main strength of the Militaristic civ is that it can send out Regular units and expect them to become Veteran with some well-planned skirmishes. Thus early Barracks aren't as necessary as they seem (despite their low cost). Non-Militaristic civs benefit far more from (expensive) Barracks, as their units are likely to stay "weak" for a while longer.

In AU 205, I'm playing the Vikings. I only built one Barracks early, and this town provided a constant supply of defenders (Spearmen then Pikemen). The other towns set to produce military units did so without Barracks, but my Archers, Swordsmen and whatnot were mostly Veteran or Elite by the time I got to Invention. At that point it was a simple matter to hurry some Barracks to keep my units up to date (incidentally, saving some gpt on Barrack upkeep).

I'll post some strats on the Vikings shortly...

Dominae
Old November 28, 2002, 13:31   #20
DaveMcW
Prince

Militaristic gets 50% Regular unit promotions, compared with 25% promotion rate for other civs. That's not enough to replace a barracks, in fact by giving up a barracks you start that much farther from an early elite/leader.

Here is the break-even point for the early units:

8 Reg Warriors = 24 HP for 80 shields
Cheap Barracks + 6 Vet Warriors = 24 HP for 80 shields

4 Reg Archers = 12 HP for 80 shields
Cheap Barracks + 3 Vet Archers = 12 HP for 80 shields

Cheap Barracks + 2 Reg Horsemen = 8 HP for 80 shields
3 Reg Horsemen = 9 HP for 90 shields

16 Reg Warriors = 48 HP for 160 shields
Expensive Barracks + 12 Vet Warriors = 48 HP for 160 shields

8 Reg Archers = 24 HP for 160 shields
Expensive Barracks + 6 Vet Archers = 24 HP for 160 shields

5 Reg Horsemen = 15 HP for 150 shields
Expensive Barracks + 4 Reg Horsemen = 16 HP for 160 shields

Conclusion: Militaristic civs should always take advantage of their cheap barracks, unless they are doing a kamikaze rush then turning into a builder. Non-militaristic civs take longer to benefit from barracks, but if a city is planning to spend 160 shields on military they should invest in one.
Old November 28, 2002, 16:10   #21
Dominae
Emperor

Nice analysis DaveMcW. However, I wasn't arguing that Barracks aren't useful, given enough resources and time; you didn't take into account, among other things, transit time, Settler production and quality of defense. My point is that early tempo (unfortunately, an "intangible"), in my experience, isn't helped by Barracks when playing with Militaristic civs.

I'm perfectly willing to grant that my strategy here (early "tempo" rush) may not be as effective as the slower build-up of massive Veteran forces. To show this, you would have to demonstrate the cities I've conquered earlier aren't as "useful" as the same ones you conquer later (compounded over the number of turns in between, of course).

My Archer strategy that I've been using recently uses a "less is more" mentality. I'll usually just build enough Regular Archers to hamper the nearest AI. These shock tactics are great against the AI simply because Settler "bopping" works so well; the AI can't figure out what you're trying to do, so you can do more with fewer units than you could against a human opponent. Contrast this with massive Veteran Swordsmen or Horsemen "rushes": the extra time spend means your victory will be more decisive, but at the expense of raw speed. I don't think it's obvious which is better.

Dominae
Old November 28, 2002, 16:18   #22
Dominae
Emperor

Even if I turn out to wrong about Barracks, the case against Harbors may still stand. Assuming you don't use early boats for naval offense (which I never do), all you need is the 2-unit transport capacity. The fact that Galleys have 3HP to the Barbarian version's 2 is nice, but not essential. In my games, the Barbarian ships aren't very good at tracking my ships. So the added strength of another HP is largely irrelevant, and consequently Galleys should be built before Harbors (unless you really need the food, or you can wait to put your boats into the water).

Dominae
Old November 28, 2002, 17:08   #23
ducki
King

Here's a brief one.

Carthaginians and Numidian Mercs:

In your despot days, particularly before you have "inner" cities and "outer" cities, Warriors and Archers(later Swordsmen) are your primary defense. (You don't want to blow a GA because the AI got froggy.)

Once you have either a)an inner and outer "ring" or b)Monarchy/Republic, start making these guys from a Barracks town, first posting them in interior cities, again, protecting against an unwanted GA - odds are you have Swordsmen by now anyways, use these as defenders in your outer/border cities.

When ready for a GA and prepping for war, rotate some Mercs to your borders and begin training replacements in case the AI comes at your core.
---End of Brief Version---

---Begin Ramble---
If you like, send 1 or two along with a Swordsman raiding party/invasion force to cause the GA. Or just use them as pillagers that will be very difficult to stop in the Ancient Age, and should easily take out left-over Warriors and Archers.

Otherwise, be happy with your premature pikemen and do not upgrade these guys until Replaceable Parts unless you have a war and need Muskets at the borders. This saves you a bundle of cash until your bankroll should be big enough to not care. Saving cash for Knight and Knight UU upgrades sure helps a cash-strapped Empire.

The most beautiful thing about Mercs(much like the other Ancient 3-defense UUs) is that you can keep these Pikeman Replacements around until Replaceable Parts, at least I've been able to in my Carthage games, with a few border town exceptions.

The trick is avoiding a premature GA, which is easy enough. Either take the battle to your enemy, or don't use them in border cities until you are out of Despotism. Having Swordsmen for defense, (especially if you don't just Fortify and Forget and are instead, a "proactive defender") is, perhaps, even better than having Spearmen.
Old November 29, 2002, 22:15   #24
GusSmed
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt
My experience is that you have it backward. Gold is both more easily acquired and a more flexible resource than shields in the very early game.
I don't know what you're smoking, but in my experience, until you've got the techs you want to start a war, you're always playing catch up with the AI. Every coin you get is one you could potentially spend on research.

Sure, you can use the "40 turn rule" to your advantage, but if you do too much of that, you end up delaying your attack until the AI is strong and ready to counter, instead of catching them while they're still thinking about expansion.

Quote:
Any river tile automatically produces one gold; a road does the same. Shields are available only with bonus grasslands or a mine.
You talk as if roads were free, or river tiles were more common than grasslands with shield bonuses. You have to build roads the same as you have to build mines. On some maps rivers are common, and on others they're quite rare.

You also get shields from plains. Provided you have a source of fresh water (always a big if), it's faster to get a 2 food / 1 shield / 1 trade square through road + irrigation than from a blank Grassland square through road + mining.

- Gus
Old November 30, 2002, 00:30   #25
Theseus
Emperor

Gus, I'm not sure I follow you...

In the very early game, you can only effectively reseearch so much; everything else goes to gold (or maybe some luxury).

And regardless, there are many well-established early warfare strategies based upon achieving certain early enabling techs.

Maybe I just don;t get your point.

Old November 30, 2002, 05:18   #26
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:

I don't know what you're smoking, but in my experience, until you've got the techs you want to start a war, you're always playing catch up with the AI. Every coin you get is one you could potentially spend on research.

Sure, you can use the "40 turn rule" to your advantage, but if you do too much of that, you end up delaying your attack until the AI is strong and ready to counter, instead of catching them while they're still thinking about expansion.
Fair enough, but sometimes you don't want to research quickly. If you place emphasis on gold rather than production or research you can - for example - build lots of cheap warriors while waiting for your slow research to Iron Working, when you research the tech you will have enough gold to upgrade hordes of the Warriors to Swords and sweep your continent clean.

In the early game (if you're playing warmonger), you only need a low level of research development. If you get the timing right (easy with practice) then you can place a very low priority on Science up until you massacre and conquer neighbouring Civs and take all the techs they've so kindly researched for you.

You don't need to delay the attack until the enemy is ready for you. They certainly won't be ready for a huge Swordsman rush until they have Pikemen, and they'll be dead long before then.

Of course, if you want to play as a builder research is more important.

Also, if you play as an Industrious Civ the roads are built so quickly the almost are 'free'.
Old November 30, 2002, 11:41   #27
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Quote:
My experience is that you have it backward. Gold is both more easily acquired and a more flexible resource than shields in the very early game.
Gus... I think that this quote is right on. No offense. It's just that gold can be used in many different ways. Upgrades may seem like a waste of money to you, but this gives you the edge to either give yourself some room to grow, acquire some needed resources, or clear off your continent. You can't honestly tell me that you wouldn't trade 2000 gold for a continent after your horses upgrade. Using the luxury slider early in the game allows you to get your production level up. I wish I would have known about this tactic when I started playing. 50 gold could be the difference between finishing the Great Library first, or having to switch it over to the Great Wall. Having gold in reserve isn't a bad thing either. If you really need to investigate a city, or you need to throw in a little extra in a trade with the AI, gold is what's used. You can't use shields. Wealth stinks. All I'm saying is that gold can be turned into shields, but not the other way around.

Gold is a little more abundant, too. If you need more shields, you can lumberjack. That's about it. If you need more gold, you can find it somewhere. Trade techs for it if you need it bad. You won't get a lot, but if you need it... Barbarians have gold. Get it from them. Work tiles with roads. You can find gold if you really need to. I would rather be two techs behind with a fat bank than in the tech lead and barely hanging on to my cities.
Old November 30, 2002, 21:57   #28
Catt
King

Quote:

I'm not smoking anything - you could be a bit more civil.

Some players don't wait to acquire techs to start a war. A good warrior stomp or an archer war will do just fine. In any event, for those techs that greatly assist my typical ancient warfare (Horseback Riding and Iron Working), I want them to take awhile to research. I need that time to set up a core production center and to start building warriors and chariots for later upgrades. Playing the strategy as many commonly do, there is no "playing catch-up" -- you are behind, and you stay behind without any effort to catch up -- you will catch up through warfare and through later building.

I've found that spending aggressively on research early rarely pays a decent return on investment. Spending little on research but stockpiling gold tends to provide a better return.

Quote:
Again, there is no reason for you to "run out of time." A leaisurely research approach followed by mass upgrades and warfare, and you should always find a suitable victim. Except in very rare cases (for example on Deity with a lot of space between you and your nearest neighbor) you should never find your self charging pikemen with your horsemen.

In my experience, spending aggressively on research and then having to build 30-shield swordsmen causes a greater delay in "feeling ready" for war. Thirty shields (even 20 for a horseman) in the ancient age is tough to come by at the higher levels. You don't have the happiness infrastructure to support Cities (as opposed to towns) -- and without citizens, you have few shields. Gold, on the other hand, is generated a plenty even by a bunch of 2 or 3 population towns.

Quote:
You talk as if roads were free, or river tiles were more common than grasslands with shield bonuses. You have to build roads the same as you have to build mines. On some maps rivers are common, and on others they're quite rare.
Actually, you must not have read my post. I most certainly did not imply roads were free -- I compared the worker investment in road-building directly to worker investment in mine building.

You seem to believe that shield acquisition is straightforward. I say it isn't. You need the terrain to cooperate and you still need to invest worker time to produce shields. In addition, you must invest twice as much (50% in some cases when industrious) worker time in building mines. The real "shield producers" -- mined hills -- are only infrequently attractive citizen tiles, since they don't produce enough food as needed to support a citizen (and absent a bonus resource, only flood plains will make up the shortfall until you get out of despotism).

Finally, note again that shield generation requires working citizens. Working citizens require happiness providers. With an early resource effort devoted towards gold, using the entertainment slider comes at less relative cost -- assuming you're playing the higher levels, shield production will require a decent gold investment as well.

Quote:
You also get shields from plains. Provided you have a source of fresh water (always a big if), it's faster to get a 2 food / 1 shield / 1 trade square through road + irrigation than from a blank Grassland square through road + mining.
Correct. But beside the point. The issue is acquiring gold versus shields. If you want to deploy early workers efficiently and develop well-rounded tiles, irrigating and roading plains is clearly better than mining and roading grassland. My point was that roading -- and simply roading -- generates additional gold for the empire. Roads also serve both you expansion and your military mobility needs. It is not uncommon for me to set workers to building an extensive road network, including roads to the expected front, and then coming back to mine as needed. In the meantime, I am generating gold by having citizens working roaded tiles.

As a final point that I find important in comparing tactics, I often compare proposed actions to AI actions. Your approach of researching as quickly as possible and then building an elite force from scratch exactly mimicks the AI's approach. Playing at the higher levels, you're behind 2 eightballs with this approach -- (1) the AIs start with extra units; and (2) the AIs have production advantages -- so your 30-shield swordsmen cost the AI only 24 shields on Emperor and 18 shields on Deity. On the other hand, the "stockpile gold and mass-upgrade" tactic allows you to get out from behind each eightball to some extent. You build only "shield-cheap" units, eventually allowing you to offset both the AI's numerical advantage and production advantage. You sacrifice technology advancement for gold, but you employ gold to bring your technologically inferior force up to par in one fell swoop. This also has the advantage of allowing you to immediately field a force of XX horsemen or XX swordsmen when the AI opponent has only manually built several (in addition to the AI's inferior forces previously built but not yet upgraded). Finally, your sacrifice of early technological advancement is temporary, not permanent. You have secured for yourself (1) "cheaper" tech costs through tech devaluation, and (2) relative strength advantage which should allow some degree of tech extortion in the context of peace negotiations. You generally can't make up for lost gold-generating opportunities as the AI tends to spend it as quickly as it comes in. So, mimick the AI's approach or do something differently and exploit the difference.

You proposed an early-game tactic. I challenged the relative efficiency of the tactic. I tried to explain why an early focus on gold and an upgrade tactic is in most cases a better approach. I've tried to do so again. Maybe I haven't done a very good job at explaining.

But you haven't explained why maximizing research and then building 30-shield swordsmen is better than minimizing research, building 10-shield warriors, and then upgrading to swordsmen at 40 gold a pop. You haven't explained why building 10-shield chariots and mass-upgrading to horsemen at 20 gold a pop is less attractive. Your explanation(s) seems to be "you'll fall behind." That's not enough to support your tactical argument.

Catt
Old November 30, 2002, 22:07   #29
ducki
King

I understood it the first time, Catt, but the second explanation was even better, thanks!

P.S. I was pretty sure you weren't smoking anything.
Old November 30, 2002, 22:47   #30
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Note to self: Get Catt a little riled up and get a great explanation.

I find that if you try to research in the ancient age (for the most part), then there is not as much use in the early extortion wars. Might as well save the gold, because you will get the techs anyway.

Gus- The "smoking" bit was a little out of line, in my opinion.