Old November 26, 2002, 20:36   #1
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why are workers destroyed after building certain things?
I haven't seen a similar thread on this. I don't understand why they did this. It's not like they didn't have flexiblity with the workes as workers normally build things without dying. Why did they do this?
Old November 26, 2002, 21:01   #2
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 13:39
Well, they also disappeared when you built a colony in the "normal" Civ3 game (before PtW). Perhaps the idea is that you need manpower for operating an airfield, radar tower, colony etc. It is indeed a bit illogical, since you can build mines, forts and irrigations without loosing the guys, but hey - itīs a game
Old November 26, 2002, 21:16   #3
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I forgot about colonies. never used them
Old November 26, 2002, 23:30   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:39
The AI seems to love radar towers,but I have no idea why.
Old November 26, 2002, 23:41   #5
Mellian
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Queen

Local Time: 06:39
defence bonuses

-Mellian
Old November 26, 2002, 23:54   #6
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 03:39
offensive bonus too.

25% bonus to units in it's range
Old November 27, 2002, 00:18   #7
ruby_maser
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 05:39
maybe it is just to balance out the game. the penalty rewards efficient, strategic planning and discourages random, wholesale proliferation of these things.
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country." -- Abraham Lincoln

"Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this ever, in flesh and blood, walked upon this earth." -- Albert Einstein, in regards to Mohandis Gandhi
Old November 27, 2002, 01:54   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I like wholesale proliferation. If my workers were idle I'd put them everywhere
Old November 27, 2002, 01:56   #9
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
Well, they also disappeared when you built a colony in the "normal" Civ3 game (before PtW). Perhaps the idea is that you need manpower for operating an airfield, radar tower, colony etc. It is indeed a bit illogical, since you can build mines, forts and irrigations without loosing the guys, but hey - itīs a game
The reason you don't lose workers to work the mines and fields they create is because your City Citizens are working those.

Colonies, Airfields, Outposts and Radar Towers are all "field" bases for things that do, and should, require manpower to operate. The fact that these can be built nearly anywhere, particularly in neutral territory, dictates that your citizens in cities will not be the ones working these facilities the way they work mines and fields.
Old November 27, 2002, 03:40   #10
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Actually Ducki,
You can't put radar towers outside of your territory in neutral territory, though I believe you can place them in outside of the city working radius. As long as it's inside your cultural borders.

KP
Old November 27, 2002, 04:48   #11
Usually Insane
King

what exactly does outposts, and how do radar towers work if they come under enemy culture borders, and... can you pillage enemy field bases, what happens to the poor worker?
Old November 27, 2002, 06:27   #12
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 12:39
Re: Why are workers destroyed after building certain things?
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
It's not like they didn't have flexiblity with the workes as workers normally build things without dying. Why did they do this?
Hmmm, are they sacrificed to deity? (at least they should in Aztec Civ). Did they dead by incident during building activities? Is it a way to simulate the resources cost of the improvements, in a simplified game model?

Chose one.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:29   #13
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

if workers didnt have to be used up, there would be radar towers everywhere late game. an industrious civ would get 4 workers and pop a tower a turn.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:51   #14
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Usually Insane
what exactly does outposts, and how do radar towers work if they come under enemy culture borders, and... can you pillage enemy field bases, what happens to the poor worker?
Outposts: pushes back the "fog of war" (line of sight - 2 on flat terrrain, 3 on hill, and 4 on mountain). Can be built within your cultural borders or within neutral territory.

Radar Towers: Gives a defensive and offensive bonus to the host nations units (a 2- tile radious around the tower). Can only be built within your cultural borders.

If either Outposts or Radar Towers end up being located within enemy territory (cultural expansion), they are automatically destroyed.

Yes, you can pillage enemy outposts, radar towers, field air bases.

When building any of these 3 types of improvements, your worker is automatically assimilated into the structure. If the structure is destroyed, so is the worker who build it, since the worker no longer exists (he's now the terrain improvement).

I hope this "cleared the mud" Usually Insane.

Edit: Typo concerning Outposts (Thanks UberKruX).

Last edited by Wittlich; November 27, 2002 at 15:14.
Old November 27, 2002, 12:19   #15
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think outputs give 3 on hill and 4 on mountain, but feel free to correct me.
Old November 27, 2002, 14:07   #16
Sinapus
Warlord

Game balance seems to be the main excuse.

Personally, I think colonies should only vanish if it ends up in the city radius of a full-fledged city. Otherwise, it should send resources to either the nearest city (food/shields) or the civilization as a whole (commerce).
If w/in the boundaries of another civ, you only get the resources if you are at peace w/them or if there is a path that is unblocked by their territory.

Then I can grab those gold resources in the middle of those thick mountain ranges and get a small bit of cash to throw into my coffers.

Yes, I'm thinking something along the lines of the supply crawlers from Alpha Centauri. Though with more options on where the resources are sent. Pick a city from the list, and such, default is the closest when the colony is created and/or the destination is changed.

Haven't gotten far enough into the game to play w/airbases yet. Will try soon since I have a four-day weekend coming up.
Old November 27, 2002, 15:07   #17
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
i think outputs give 3 on hill and 4 on mountain, but feel free to correct me.
Oops! My bad - You are right Uber, a typo on my part.
Old November 27, 2002, 16:23   #18
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinapus
Game balance seems to be the main excuse.
It's definitely game balance that's the reason.

EDIT: Hrm just noticed I'm a Prince now. Some people would beg to differ with that methinks.
Old November 27, 2002, 17:21   #19
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Keep in mind that if you capture some slaves, they can also be used to build these structures.

This may be the primary reason while the cost of buying workers greatly increased in PTW.

I guess that military units can only benifit from 1 Radar Towers even if they are within range of 2 of them?

Outposts being built in Neutral Terrirory can also be used to keep barbarians out.

Colonies & Outposts can be more important if you apply mods that eliminate the ability to build cities in both Tundra & Desert. (You might need to elimate plant trees in tundra as well.)
Old November 27, 2002, 22:25   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

actually now I realize why it is coded that way.

Because the radar tower and lookout tower is actually a "unit" that "sees". I guess they couldn't code it so a terrain improvement "sees". So essentually the worker turns into an immobile unit that sees 2 squares (4 on mountain etc.)
Old November 27, 2002, 22:53   #21
Switch
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
actually now I realize why it is coded that way.

Because the radar tower and lookout tower is actually a "unit" that "sees". I guess they couldn't code it so a terrain improvement "sees". So essentually the worker turns into an immobile unit that sees 2 squares (4 on mountain etc.)

That's too funny
Old November 28, 2002, 04:47   #22
Usually Insane
King

tanx wittlich, nice to know. however, isn't it better to just place a unit on the mountain instead, seems smarter to me... then again, I haven't had the chance to play the game yet