Old November 26, 2002, 21:39   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 04:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The million dollar question.
So now that v1.14 has been released the million dollar question is does this patch fix MP? I've been holding back on buying PtW because of all the bad word of mouth it has recieved here at 'poly and now I'd like to hear from a few of our loyal 'poly users. Does patch 1.14 make MP usable and enjoyable? I'm primarially interested in multiplayer; should I buy PtW?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old November 26, 2002, 21:58   #2
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 06:39
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Old November 26, 2002, 23:25   #3
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:39
I've just played a game with 5 People, with minimal lag.
The new patch is a HUGE(and this is not the good word) improvement... now MP is Playable and Enjoyable!!!!!!

Have a nice day

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old November 26, 2002, 23:39   #4
NeOmega
Prince

Local Time: 03:39
1.14 unbelievable.

I mean it seems to have done the impossible and fixed almost all the problems.
Old November 26, 2002, 23:41   #5
Clegg
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Much improved multiplayer. Now I remember why I paid for this game!!
Old November 27, 2002, 04:42   #6
Usually Insane
King

Local Time: 13:39
wil they mark new boxes with the current patch or will I have to buy the game and they load the patch from the internet, how big is it exactly? (subquestions: Is the first patch included, do I need another PTW disc or can I multiplay with the original?)
Old November 27, 2002, 05:56   #7
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
do I need another PTW disc or can I multiplay with the original?
most multiplayer games need 1 cd per (network) computer. But 99 out of 100 times, you just start the tame with the cd, remove the cd and put it in a 2nd pc, start the game, remove it, and put it in a 3rd pc. etc. etc.

rarely a pc might as for the cd, in that case just remove it from one of the other pc's and put it in.

I think that's legal, the game wants to be sure you bought the game to start it. You can prove that by putting it in initially.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:15   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

thats not legal but we'll pretend it is.

without a licence, it's one copy, one machine.
Old November 27, 2002, 11:38   #9
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
thats not legal but we'll pretend it is.
of course that's legal,
at least the dutch law says one cd can be used within one household. according to the dutch law it's even legal to make copies of a cd for use within the same household!

I have two computers, I can use my civtw on both computers! It's not that both my computers need to buy the game, I must buy the game.
Old November 27, 2002, 14:29   #10
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

It is not legal in the US.
Old November 27, 2002, 14:35   #11
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

vmxa: and apolython is in greece not USA.
Greece... the place where videogame are illegual...
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956357.html

Edit= Unless they have have changed this law voted this summer

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; November 27, 2002 at 14:40.
Old November 27, 2002, 15:12   #12
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Ah, but isn't Apolyton's mainframe/server located on U.S. soil? I believe it is.
Old November 27, 2002, 16:46   #13
Slax
Prince

No, Canadian soil, right?
Old November 27, 2002, 16:56   #14
Cartouche Bee
Settler

Local Time: 03:39
Well I'm still skeptical. I mean the people that told us that there were no problems now tell us that all the problems are fixed, less than 24 hours after the latest patch was released. Some of the bugs that were surfacing were from a month of testing on 1.04. I think I'll wait a little longer before jumping to any conclusion at this point.
Old November 27, 2002, 18:37   #15
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by cronos_qc
vmxa: and apolython is in greece not USA.
Greece... the place where videogame are illegual...
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-956357.html

Edit= Unless they have have changed this law voted this summer
I am not sure where it is hosted, but I had thought it was not in the USA and I know about the Greek law, but I thought the reference was to using a CD on more than one PC. I do not know if that is legal anywhere, althought it was stated here that it is in at least one place. I would wonder about that as I seems to me that will make it very hard for companies to do business in that land. Since it is such a small market, they may not sweat it.
Old November 27, 2002, 18:43   #16
Switch
Prince

First of all, that Greek law was retracted.
Second, the Ploy server is in N.America
Third, I would think that no matter what the nations law says, according to the PTW liscence it's one disc/computer. If the game was made in dutch land, then it would be one disc/household.
Old November 27, 2002, 19:18   #17
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Poly Server is in Texas, not the USA
Old November 27, 2002, 19:20   #18
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1

I am not sure where it is hosted, but I had thought it was not in the USA and I know about the Greek law, but I thought the reference was to using a CD on more than one PC. I do not know if that is legal anywhere, althought it was stated here that it is in at least one place. I would wonder about that as I seems to me that will make it very hard for companies to do business in that land. Since it is such a small market, they may not sweat it.

APOLYTON MOVES TO NEW SERVER!
(21 April 2002, 10:06 | About | 147 comments) The people of the Apolyton Civilization Site are happy to announce the move to a new server.

After 3.5 years in the GameStats Network, Apolyton is now hosted on Settler, it`s own decidated server, serving 100% the needs of Apolytoners around the world(and being payed 100% thanks to your support!). The Settler is located in Texas, USA and is powered by Pentium 4 running Linux

Some technical issues:
1) DNS changes should reach your isp`s dns server in the next 48 hours. Until then, you can use this address http://64.246.32.51/~admin1/forums/ to access the forums
2) Subdomains for hosted sites will be working in the few days. The same goes for staff members` and hosted site owners` mail accounts and files access
3) The commercial side of Apolyton(ads(including pop-ups on downloads pages), store, regular firaxis payments ) will return.
4) File attachments in the forums should now work for all browsers
5) Until the dns change reaches you, links like the news menus which use apolyton.net url`s will send you to the old server so you might not the most latest version of the page

A new era begins today on Apolyton. With your support, thanks to which we are here today, we hope that it will be the longest one by far. - MarkG

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old November 27, 2002, 20:13   #19
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
Third, I would think that no matter what the nations law says, according to the PTW liscence it's one disc/computer. If the game was made in dutch land, then it would be one disc/household.
Laws over-ride clauses in contracts. CyberShy is referring to any software sold in The Netherlands (to home users, I would think). Software published by a Dutch company and sold in the States or Canada would be subject to American and Canadian law over any language in an EULA.
Old November 27, 2002, 22:58   #20
Switch
Prince

So, in that case, if say Sealand were to set a law that warezing is legal, then any sealander could legally warez?

It just doesn't seem right to me....
Old November 27, 2002, 23:57   #21
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
So, in that case, if say Sealand were to set a law that warezing is legal, then any sealander could legally warez?
Yes. What recourse would the publishers have? Aside from the USMC?
Old November 28, 2002, 00:00   #22
notyoueither
Deity

btw, that is essentially the situation in many markets where you can go down to the market and buy just about anything on burned CDs. The local laws and law enforcement agencies do not care, so the black market thrives.

It is so bad that some publishers (MS) are declining to launch (and thus support) any software in some vary large markets where piracy is 'legal'.
Old November 28, 2002, 02:10   #23
Robert Plomp
admin
Administrator

Quote:
Third, I would think that no matter what the nations law says, according to the PTW liscence it's one disc/computer.
I think it's not that smart to license games that way, no matter if it's legal or not. How many households will there be where more than 1 cd will be bought? Will there be any?

If you make a rule that can't be enforced, don't make that rule.
Old November 28, 2002, 02:45   #24
notyoueither
Deity

OTOH, where does a home end and a home based business begin?

Try the one CD per household rule in Canada or the US while operating a business, and find out just how short that leash is should you be noticed.
Old November 28, 2002, 02:59   #25
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 21:39
Has Firaxis got you on some sort of retainer or something?

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 28, 2002, 03:01   #26
notyoueither
Deity

No. Does Microsoft have you?