Old December 6, 2002, 09:35   #31
Cookie Monster
King

Local Time: 06:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Just a quick opinion of this game. More discussion later when I have time.

HOI roxxxorreeddd!!!!!!!!! Sorry didn't mean to bust out in leet but believe me this is one good game. Check out there forums, link provided by Grumbold earlier in this thread, for more details.
Old December 6, 2002, 09:50   #32
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I'd like to add that despite the flaws in the AI, it's an incredibly enjoyable game and I recommend this game strongly. Futhermore, user-created mods on the AI are already fixing the holes in what came out in the release. The next patch which'll come out later this month should be nearly perfect.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Ramo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2002, 10:32   #33
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 12:39
I want this game now. Why is the UK release date after Christmas? What could possibly warrant delaying the release until Februrayr?!?!?!
Old December 6, 2002, 10:35   #34
Dauphin
Deity

Point in the general direction plz.....
Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike

I hate it when this happens. This will no doubt attract disbelief, but these days the main reason I ever *ahem* acquire a game online is that it takes so damn long to come out here, and by the time it does I have finished it and am not going to buy the game.
*nudge nudge wink wink* say no more......
Old December 6, 2002, 10:41   #35
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I want this game now. Why is the UK release date after Christmas? What could possibly warrant delaying the release until Februrayr?!?!?!
If you're willing to pay shipping, there's no reason why you can't import it from the US (or some other place, if you're proficient in another European language). I'm sure Amazon ships games across the pond...
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 6, 2002, 10:44   #36
Dauphin
Deity

I've just looked at a screen shot of England. The labelling of territories is going to annoy me. Portsmouth is not southeast of London and Coventry is not in East Anglia!!!
Old December 6, 2002, 10:46   #37
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramo

If you're willing to pay shipping, there's no reason why you can't import it from the US (or some other place, if you're proficient in another European language). I'm sure Amazon ships games across the pond...
I'm good enough at French and Spanish, but they come out at the same time (near enough). I can't speak any of the Scandinavian languages and they are the only European countries with it out.

I could get the American version, but don't want to pay the shipping costs. I'll wait....
Old December 6, 2002, 10:50   #38
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

From what I hear (http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...threadid=59484), they'll release the Spanish version in a week or two. Don't know about French though.
-Bokonon
Old December 6, 2002, 15:05   #39
Sandman
King

Quote:
I've just looked at a screen shot of England. The labelling of territories is going to annoy me. Portsmouth is not southeast of London and Coventry is not in East Anglia!!!
Yes, Britain's provinces are a mess. To add insult to injury, they've added a horde of odd little provinces elsewhere, like a tiny island off Brittany and that slender island off Sweden.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2002, 15:26   #40
dudemanjack
Warlord

Local Time: 07:39
I don't think I'm going to buy this game until I can play the demo. It looks rather confusing.
dudemanjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2002, 03:23   #41
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
OK, I picked up Hearts of Iron today...I do see what y'all mean about the AI, and I've also run into some crash bugs (as in it just up and crashes, with no autosave feature to save me)...

Obviously I played Germany for my first game, and after I invaded Denmark the Allies declared war on me...I stacked up along the Maginot Line, didn't invade the Low Countries, and hit southern France with a large invasion out of Italy. Once that attack drew their forces out of position, I hit the Maginot Line in one province with everything I had, to force a breakthrough, and blitzed through to Paris. This was, by the way, in 1936.

The US declared war on me a bit early, unfortunately, and started trying to make little landings in France, all of which I crushed. At the same time, I was slowly building up a new army in the East...basically I set up four stacks of about 5-6 divisions apiece (usually an armored or mechanized divison, a motorized division, with the rest being infantry divisions with attached artillery brigades). Once I got the Czechs to give up the Sudetenland, I blitzed the rest of their country in about a week.

Right before that, I launched a massive shipbuilding program - 1 carrier, 13 battleships, and several destroyer flotillas and transport fleets. That fleet would have been up by mid 1939, and I could have had a chance against the British fleet if I used some air power and subs along with it. By that point, I would have had some bad ass technology, because I threw a ton of cash into research.

The last thing I was doing, prior to the crash, was finishing up my conquest of Iraq and slowly enticing countries to ally with me (I had Japan, Hungary, Italy, and Bulgaria, with Austria annexed, and Denmark, France, Belgium, and Czechoslovakia conquered, along with North Africa and the Middle East). But alas, in mid 1938, the damn thing crashed.

Gah! Patch now!
Old December 8, 2002, 14:27   #42
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 13:39
Set Autosave to monthly ;=)
I also prefer (Subs,) Topredo and Naval Bombers.. 6-9 Divisions and hte British Fleet will spend the Rest of the War in Repair Docks (until German Paratroopers land)
Old December 9, 2002, 06:11   #43
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Get Bolt's AI mod at Paradox's forums. It does wonders for the AI.
-Bokonon
Old December 9, 2002, 12:43   #44
Grumbold
Emperor

Expect the 2nd patch to make a lot of improvements. Some are already being anticipated by the likes of Bolt.

At the moment there seems to be a problem because each country is actually run by several different AI segments. Garrison AI tries to think of sensible places to park the units when not at war. When a war starts, it opens one or more Front AI and supplies them with units with which to prosecute the war. Catch a country when it is in garrison mode or it has a Front AI active in your area and it will do a lot to make your life a misery. Invade through the back door and you could be unopposed all the way to the capital because Front AI doesn't seem to want to give any units back to Garrison AI to open a second front with.

The hardest battles I ever had was trying to take Leningrad to Murmansk when Russia had given 80% of its units to that Front AI to fight the Winter War. I've now lost a week of my life to HoI and as it gets more tweaks the addiction is only going to grow.
Old December 9, 2002, 15:08   #45
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I almost picked it up yesterday, but I'm broke.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2002, 15:16   #46
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Amazingly I'm not broke........but it doesn't come out here for like another 10 years, and I happened to catch sight of it on an IRC fserver whilst downloading backups of my legally owned software. I never was good at resisting temptation.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2002, 13:28   #47
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 05:39
DF: As Germany you don't need much of a fleet to take out UK. Wait until their main fleet is out of the channel area, or draw them out with some subs, then land your troops.

You may lose some of your convoy transports, but it's not a big deal. Once you take all the ports their fleet has to go away, or becomes useless and you can pick it apart with bombers and the fleet you have.

In my first game as Germany I got Austria to let me annex them in early 37. I had read the manual so I thought allies could trade with you, so I got Hungary, Bulgaria, and Romania into the Axis.

When the Czechs refused my territorial demands I declared war bringing in the allies. I finished the Czechs, French, low countries (except lux), UK all in 38. Then I went down to Africa and took Belgiums colonies, which gave me lots of rubber!

Then I took Yugo for a port on the Med, then over to Syria, and Iraq, also took Malta. I took Poland out sometime during 39 too.

While the SU was fighting the winter war I got Finland into the axis and tried to save them, I failed, but forced the "bitter peace" event with the SU giving me everything up to the Urals in just 21 days of fighting.

Then I took out Turkey, Iran, Afganistan, and was taking more of Africa, when I got a crash which would have wiped out all that, so I stopped playing that game since it was obvious who was going to win

Funny thing was that the US never declared war on me during all that.
Old December 10, 2002, 23:20   #48
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 04:39
I'm having a problem.

Playing as Germany, it is March 1936 and I'm already at war with the Allies. I have just invaded the Netherlands and hold all 4 provinces, but for some reason I cannot annex it. Any ideas why?
Old December 10, 2002, 23:44   #49
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I have just invaded the Netherlands and hold all 4 provinces, but for some reason I cannot annex it. Any ideas why?

They still own most of Indonesia. Just let them remain independent until Japan takes care of the problem for you or until you can invade Indonesia yourself.

In my current game, I had to take all of the bloody US islands in order to annex it. My world conquest will be complete once I finish off Australia and New Zealand.
Old December 11, 2002, 00:10   #50
Boris Godunov
Emperor

That's absurd. I own their country, dammit. They should be forced to surrender (they did in 1940, after all!)
Old December 11, 2002, 01:44   #51
David Floyd
Emperor

Get THIS - I beat the hell out of Poland, annexed their country - and all of a sudden, 60+ of my divisions DISAPPEARED from the map
Old December 11, 2002, 02:24   #52
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
That's absurd. I own their country, dammit. They should be forced to surrender (they did in 1940, after all!)
The Netherlands were occupied, not annexed, and was treated as such by Germany. After the fall of Holland, the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia, Borneo and Celebis, etc.) continued to fight against Japan until it fell in late '42. Furthermore, the Dutch Queen lead a government-in-exile after Holland was taken.

Quote:
Get THIS - I beat the hell out of Poland, annexed their country - and all of a sudden, 60+ of my divisions DISAPPEARED from the map
Given some unknown conditions, you have to redeploy divisions that are in territory you just annexed. Check the deployment screen; they should be ready soon.
-Bokonon
Old December 11, 2002, 02:27   #53
David Floyd
Emperor

In fact, some Dutch warships participated in the naval armadas during the invasions of Italy and Normandy.

Most significantly, two Dutch gunboats screened the British monitor Abercrombie during Operation Avalanche.
Old December 11, 2002, 10:42   #54
Grumbold
Emperor

Its a hiccup in the annexation routine. All your units that were sharing a province with the defeated side (because either you or they are retreating or whatever) will be moved to the force pool and can be redeployed in ~24 hours. I believe 1.2 is fixing this.

There's a more serious annoyance where if you capture say formerly Chinese provinces from the Japanese then save, when you load the game back those provinces will be Chinese instead of yours.

That hasn't stopped me playing games as all of the major powers already (up to the point of inevitability, not 1948) and itching to play more when the next patch arrives.
Old December 11, 2002, 14:36   #55
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

I own their country, dammit.

You are still getting their production, are you not?
Old December 11, 2002, 16:49   #56
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Bah, but I WANT to annex it. It's MINE. MEIN MEIN MEIN.

And why is it there are no peace negotiations? I should be able to do more than either "sue for peace" or "annex." It should be like EU, with bargaining and such. I have all of NE France, the Italians have Marseilles and the Spanish have two of their SW provinces, so it's about damn time they gave up.
Old December 11, 2002, 20:55   #57
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Huh, looks interesting.

It looks better than EU2, because the game doesn't go forever with a lot of boring time (to keep the game somewhat realistic). This is a wargame .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Imran Siddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 22:36   #58
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
And why is it there are no peace negotiations? I should be able to do more than either "sue for peace" or "annex."
Peace? Peace!? There's no need for that kind of language around here thankyou very much!
ravagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2002, 23:32   #59
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Well, had a CTD today, and am thinking I'm gonna wait for the next patch before taking it up again. The AI is just pathetic and needs to be improved a lot. I watched most of their ships rust away in the water and sink without them moving them at all. The British Fleet literally just melted away. Huh?
Old December 12, 2002, 01:02   #60
David Floyd
Emperor

Perhaps they didn't have enough supplies?