Old November 27, 2002, 07:06   #1
fittstim
Warlord

Local Time: 12:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nationality assimilation
One of my favorite techniques is to starve captured cities that are placed idiotically (this happens too often) to Size 2. Then build a settler and disband the city. Then I found a city in the same general location which is better situated with respect to water, resources, etc.

However, this new city starts out with a citizen from the conquered civ. So here is where the questions begin:

Which civ "found" the city? Apparently there is a flag which indicates the civ that founds the city and this has other effects during the game. It's my settler but the nationality of the citizen is something else.

Can this original citizen change nationality? I've never seen any of these initial citizens change nationality (become assimilated) even though I have overwhelming culture (10X the next civ - cult. vic. turned off) and have had these cities for 1000 years or so.
Old November 27, 2002, 07:56   #2
NeoStar
Warlord

Local Time: 21:40
Re: Nationality assimilation
Quote:
Originally posted by fittstim
Can this original citizen change nationality? I've never seen any of these initial citizens change nationality (become assimilated) even though I have overwhelming culture (10X the next civ - cult. vic. turned off) and have had these cities for 1000 years or so.
I'd say yes - I never heard of that tactic before but without, as you put it, 'overwhelming culture' it'd be asking for trouble.
"Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)
Old November 27, 2002, 07:58   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:40
Yes, they do change nationality. The rate is mainly based on your government forms. Communism and Democracy have the best chance of assimilation with a 4% chance a turn (per citizen I think). Republic and Monarchy are slower with a 2% chance. The rest are very slow with only a 1% chance.
Old November 27, 2002, 10:01   #4
fittstim
Warlord

Anyone know the answer to my 1st question?

When you found a city with a settler that has another nationality, does that city get flagged with your nationality as the founding civ or with the settler's nationality?

When I say "flagged" I mean internally within the game. I've seen from Gramphos' game editor that each city always retains the information about who founded the city and apparently this comes into play concerning city flipping and possibly other things as well.
Old November 27, 2002, 10:31   #5
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 07:40
Fittstim:

The way assimilation works is that assimilation begins at the point in which a city has belonged to your civ more than the civ that possessed the City previously. Once the city is able to be assimilated the population is assimilated at the rate Warpstorm has listed. So if you capture Paris (founded turn #1) at turn # 271 then you will never be able to assimilate the population. This is why I prefer to produce a settler and abandon/refound a captured city, as it will begin assimilation on the turn the new city is founded. The new city is a city of your civ even though the settler is foreign. Also you do not have to go through the process of starving it down to two, all you do is produce the settler from the captured city, abandon the city on the turn the settler is produced and found the new ciity.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 27, 2002, 16:03   #6
Traelin
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
Fittstim:

The way assimilation works is that assimilation begins at the point in which a city has belonged to your civ more than the civ that possessed the City previously.
This isn't entirely true. It only works this way if the Civ that originally contained the city is still in the game. I always capture and keep their capitals (call me sentimental), then I'll eventually proceed to wipe them out. I starve the cities down to 5-9 pop., and every one of the foreigners ends up assimilated by the end game. Considering that their capital was created in 4000BC, there's no way any of them would be converted *unless* the Civ is eliminated, or unless you capture the city in the very early stages of the game.
Old November 27, 2002, 17:25   #7
ChairmanYang
Settler

Local Time: 11:40
When going into war I always make sure to have enough might and planning to wipe the whole civ out within turns, so I dont really have to worry about flipping after a city has been conquered, at least not in the long run.

And "fittstim"...nice name...

- Tavarish Yosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili
Old November 28, 2002, 10:02   #8
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 07:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin

This isn't entirely true. It only works this way if the Civ that originally contained the city is still in the game. I always capture and keep their capitals (call me sentimental), then I'll eventually proceed to wipe them out. I starve the cities down to 5-9 pop., and every one of the foreigners ends up assimilated by the end game. Considering that their capital was created in 4000BC, there's no way any of them would be converted *unless* the Civ is eliminated, or unless you capture the city in the very early stages of the game.
Thanx for the info. This just gives me one more reason to ethnic Cleanse every civ that decides to take on ole' Abe. Great
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old November 28, 2002, 12:11   #9
fittstim
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Also you do not have to go through the process of starving it down to two, all you do is produce the settler from the captured city, abandon the city on the turn the settler is produced and found the new ciity.
Yeah, I know this but it seems so brutal...

No actually, the reason I "starve" the city is because I automatically set all civilians to entertainers. This takes care of the dreaded "flipping" which was mentioned elsewhere.

I imagine that I could produce slave workers but I absolutely hate their 50% reduction in work capability.

Chairman Yang: Yes, I should probably change my login name (enough people have commented on it. ) But I've used it for so long I kind of like it now...
Old November 28, 2002, 15:02   #10
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 04:40
Re: Nationality assimilation
Quote:

Yes, chances are it will change nationality eventually. Every gov type has a chance of having foreign nationals become assimilated. The best is Democracy, with a 4% chance of assimilation. I'm presuming that's per turn so the odds aren't great that it will happen, though it probably will eventually.

One thing to keep in mind when disbanding a city like that. If there was any unhappiness there before, it will carry over to your new city through the Settler you created.
Old November 28, 2002, 16:22   #11
zorbop
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 05:40
Quote:

I imagine that I could produce slave workers but I absolutely hate their 50% reduction in work capability.

i've always like to turn an entire city into slave workers, then sell them to the ai... if i want a city in the old ones spot, i'll use my own settlers
Old November 29, 2002, 11:00   #12
fittstim
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by zorbop

i've always like to turn an entire city into slave workers, then sell them to the ai...
Really??? Do you sell them back to the same civ? Do you get a good price?

I guess this only works if you have an easy connection (RR, airport) to your capital city.
Old November 29, 2002, 11:21   #13
WarpStorm
King

You can sell them to anyone. They pay decent for them also. Remember that you don't pay upkeep on them. I'd rather have a horde of 'free' half speed workers than half as many full speed workers.