Old November 27, 2002, 08:58   #1
Devil of Truth
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sack the capitol, divide and conquer.
Something from the good old days (and countless late nights) of Civ2...

When my war machine rolled into the enemy’s capitol city, that civilisation spiralled into civil war, and often split in two forming a new civilisation . IMHO this was a rather clever feature and made the capitol a worthy target.

I’m sure it would be possible to do this with SLIC (any takers?) What I’d like to know is do you think it would be a good feature to add into CTP2?

(This same question was raised in a Civ3 thread – but because scripting language only allow users to create bugs and was thus not included in Civ3 – they have no way of doing this. )
Old November 27, 2002, 09:03   #2
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 11:40
Some bugs which could come from this

if we go the one way after you sack around 100 capitals the game will fall down as there are no new civs names to take there place

The other bug is the repeating of a civ name hens fighting the Romans when you are the Romans.

Taking from a slic point of view it is possible but yet again there is the problem with civ names.
Old November 27, 2002, 10:38   #3
SMIFFGIG
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 12:40
i dont think the names thing is that big a problem, becuase just say London got taken over and there was a civil war. I doubt half of england would form to a different civilization and the other half stay, more like it would be each half of england ruled by different people. So they would both still be the English. (i know this is a tottaly made up situation but i hope u get the point)
The only problem i could see is (say english broke into 2 civs both english) then the new formed english might start building cities that already exsist eg London again. But could this be prevented by making the break off civ not build settlers ?? I know its not the best of ways but its the only way i can think of.

Alternativly, could a pool of civilizations be added that do not appear in the list (b4 u start a new game). These Civs will be reserved for when/if a civil war takes place, this way there would be no repeated civs. However there could be repeated civs within this again, thinking about it this is probably kinda pointless idea

anyway as DoT says, this would a really good feature to implement

P.S. Big Mc, I LOVE!! !! your avatar, beta version of the CtP1 War Walker. You should have a go at making the white background transparent
im jelous

-James
http://www.tiberiumsun.com
Old November 28, 2002, 11:34   #4
The Big Mc
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 11:40
personaly i want the spr file for it off activision
Old November 28, 2002, 16:54   #5
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
The only problem i could see is (say english broke into 2 civs both english) then the new formed english might start building cities that already exsist eg London again. But could this be prevented by making the break off civ not build settlers ?? I know its not the best of ways but its the only way i can think of.
Actual in most cases the new civ would't build new cities at least in my games , because the map is already full with cities and I don't distroy cities, therefore there wouldn't be any room left for new cities. There shouldn't be any problem with city names or civ names, even they are used twice, if I remember correctly I saw this already. These names are just strings if a name is selected then it is saved as a string, if I play for example a tornerment game then I will found cities with names found in the German version of the civ_str.txt but the civ name is in English.

Quote:
Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
Alternativly, could a pool of civilizations be added that do not appear in the list (b4 u start a new game). These Civs will be reserved for when/if a civil war takes place, this way there would be no repeated civs. However there could be repeated civs within this again, thinking about it this is probably kinda pointless idea
Actual this is not possible to hold a list with extra civs, all the civs are in one file and the game can use them all.

But actual where is the problem if some civ names are used twice, by the way you could use a array that hollds all the civs that splitted in the game in a cartain amount of turns before, in order to reduce the number of splitts.

-Martin