Old November 27, 2002, 12:38   #1
Clegg
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 04:40
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PTW 1.14f Bug & Crash Reports
Great Patch! Much improved internet MP!

However, somebody has to start this thread, so here it goes.

After a few games, here's the bugs I've noticed so far:

1. Sync errors sometimes occur during MP. Only seen it with turnless mode so far, but it may be in other modes as well. Not sure if this is a bug or a lag issue, but I have seen it even with a small number of players at low lag.

2. If the host cancels out of the game during the game setup screen, all players are sent back to the lobby. However, when I then try to join another game, the game setup screen "pops under" the lobby screen. You can only see the game setup if you push the X on the lobby screen, and it doesn't have all the info. Work around is to back all the way out to the main menu.

3. The password bypass bug still exists in PBEM games.

4. Carry over from 1.04f, the sound settings under audio preferences don't carry over when a game is reloaded. If you turn down the main volume, it will be 100% when the game is reloaded until you launch the audio preferences screen. Once the audio pref screen is launched the sound settings again take effect.

5. Not sure if it is a bug or request, but how the heck can you get all the SP pop up boxes in MP? I'm specifically interested in getting the city improvement and technology advancement pop-ups. The "fewer pop up's in MP" preference box doesn't seem to affect these.
Old November 27, 2002, 14:24   #2
art_vandelai
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:40
Patch has made gameplay much more smooth. Occasional crashes, but definitely playable, and lag isn't all that bad.

1 major bug that needs fixing is the text wrap on chat. If there's more than a few words, the chat detail doesn't show on screen. The space for the chat text to appear is a smaller size than the setting for the word wrapping, resulting in lost text.

Strange bug in score for some games when all other players drop - score is in the 17,000's due to domination victory in 4000BC .

On another occasion, a player had been dropped, but still appeared on the list of civs. When attempting to initiate diplomacy, was given the option (for the other civ) to accept or reject my own envoy.
Old November 27, 2002, 14:53   #3
battists
Settler

I definitely agree with #5 from Clegg. My wife and I both want that popup, and also the popup for when a tech has been completed!

Also, I was doing some searching on this, but couldn't find anything.

Is there anything we can do about the way the game jumps immediately to the next active unit? I'm playing a LAN turn-based game. Let's say I have a warrior out exploring the far hinterlands. I move him one space into the great unknown, and the game immediately centers on the next unit, usually way back around my home city.

Then I have to go find my warrior again so I can see what the heck he uncovered! Very annoying.

Any suggestions?
Old November 27, 2002, 15:46   #4
Cartouche Bee
Settler

Local Time: 03:40
Quote:
Originally posted by battists

Then I have to go find my warrior again so I can see what the heck he uncovered! Very annoying.

Any suggestions?
If possible, just move him last. Best I can do for now.
Old November 27, 2002, 16:57   #5
Daedalus106
Settler

Local Time: 11:40
New Patch installed, yet I am still having incredibly long waits inbetween turns. I'm talking 5+ minutes. In my current game, I'm playing on a modified Huge map with 20 or so civs, on the verge of the modern era. I would think that my P4 1.7 should be able to handle that no problem. Any suggestions?
Old November 27, 2002, 17:31   #6
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Amount of RAM is a lot more important than the processor speed.

But it sounds like you have a bunch of RAM already if it took until the middle of the industrial era for 5 minute turns to start occuring on huge maps with 20 civs.

How many civs are currently at war? (The more that are at war, the longer it takes the computer to process.)
Old November 27, 2002, 22:33   #7
phredthebaker
Settler

Someone in another thread mentioned something about snyc issues, and I think this is the next thing that needs to be addressed. Not once have I gotten past the 45 min. mark in any game, simply because there are too many things going on at that point. It's a little frustrating knowing that I probably will not finish a game that I start...which makes me wonder why I waste 45 minutes doing it? Love this game...but there are still a few things wrong.
Old November 28, 2002, 01:15   #8
Backpack
BtS Tri-League
Prince

Local Time: 05:40
Here's a Bug -

The TAB key, (Which has worked as an alternate Wait command instead of W) has now stopped working. I have been using this key command for as long as I can remember, but now I can't cycle through my units with it.

Note: This is with a saved game started under 1.04f with modified rules, but the command worked last night before i saved the game. I'm still in the same turn as last night, so maybe this will go away after a turn cycle. Regardless, it is a bug. If it goes away in the next turn I will edit this and update the info.

Thanks for Listening

KP
Old November 28, 2002, 06:48   #9
Master2000
Settler

Local Time: 12:40
Yeah, I agree that the SP popup screens should be activated i a MP game. Without it, my turns takes much longer to complete since I will have to go through my cities to see which city built what.
Old November 28, 2002, 13:00   #10
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Build previous unit feature STILL doesnt work. Have Firaxis listened to us when we reported this the first time? urgh.
Old November 28, 2002, 13:25   #11
Franses
King

Installed PTW and it worked. Installed patch 1.14f and it wants me to insert the PTW disc even though it is in the drive. This happened on two machines!

So I cann't play it with the patch. I know others have the same problem. Edit2: It looks like especially dutch people (probably Europeans in general?) are the victims of this fatal bug.

Edit:
The solution I mentioned here earlier (reinstallation from scratch) does not work after all. It simply does not install the patch the first time. If I reinstall the patch (uninstalling and then installing again) the problem gets back again.

Bottom line: I am not able to play with 1.14f

I am in contact with Infogrames Benelux about it. I suggest everyone having this problem gives them a call and/or sends them a mail them to put some pressure on. For the Benelux the mail address is helpdesk@nl.infogrames.com

Last edited by Franses; November 29, 2002 at 07:24.
Old November 29, 2002, 01:00   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

whenever i type a long message (2 liner) the end of the first line gets chopped off mid-word.

example:

i sent the text: "me and the koreans are fighting without resources"

and it showed up as:
"me and the koreans are fighting witho
resources"
Old November 29, 2002, 04:52   #13
aebrahim
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
whenever i type a long message (2 liner) the end of the first line gets chopped off mid-word.

example:

i sent the text: "me and the koreans are fighting without resources"

and it showed up as:
"me and the koreans are fighting witho
resources"
Yep. I get the same bug. It's incredibly annoying, cause one can't talk properly, as we have to guess where it'll get cut off.
Old November 29, 2002, 08:46   #14
Sunstone
Chieftain

I totally agree with #5 of Cleggs points too and battists point is totally right, too. I just canīt understand, why they havenīt fix it in this release. I point you to my thread some weeks ago, where I already mentioned these MP-Points, no one seems to talk about :
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=67178

Another HOT ISSUE is:
Franses wrote:
Installed PTW and it worked. Installed patch 1.14f and it wants me to insert the PTW disc even though it is in the drive.
Same problem to me. I am from germany, but I got the US-Version.
One important point : With the original Civ3-PTW-Cd in the drive it works ! They seem to have built in some kind of new Copy-Protection.
Is there somebody, who is able to play with a copy AFTER v.1.14f?
Old November 29, 2002, 09:25   #15
WarpStorm
King

As a work-around for the text cut-off you could use voice chat.
Old November 29, 2002, 11:06   #16
rockhopper
Settler

I have the same complaint as battists above.

Very annoying to move a unit only to have the focus immediately jump to the next unit. I never get the chance to see what the first one uncovered, and I have to go searching over the map back to where he is to see what it sees.

Along with that, I still have a bit of lag when moving units. I press a numpad key, and 2 seconds later the unit moves. This is while playing a LAN game with one other computer.
Old November 29, 2002, 13:09   #17
Raion
Prince

That jumping to the next unit has been in the game in every version, it is there to psych you out. Move it last or change the order of moving units. I guess I have gotten use to it.

One must understand Civilization the computer game.

It is made that way, and has always worked that way.
I kind of am laughing here, as its there so you may miss something coming up!

It's psych!
Any emotions!
Good!
Old November 29, 2002, 13:12   #18
Raion
Prince

Perhaps, I should explain a bit further.

The Interface is part of the game for playing the game.

Lean forward, or see the area quicker, if possible.

Just a joke, but the interface and the playing always has been part of the game.
Old November 29, 2002, 13:33   #19
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Quote:
Originally posted by Sunstone
Another HOT ISSUE is:
Franses wrote:
Installed PTW and it worked. Installed patch 1.14f and it wants me to insert the PTW disc even though it is in the drive.
Same problem to me. I am from germany, but I got the US-Version.
One important point : With the original Civ3-PTW-Cd in the drive it works ! They seem to have built in some kind of new Copy-Protection.
Is there somebody, who is able to play with a copy AFTER v.1.14f?
I am not! Same problem with the US version, no solution. I also fail to load the game with patch 1.04! Is there any clue to this?

Let's mail to Infogrames about that!
Old November 29, 2002, 14:29   #20
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Same problem as Franses and Caliban!

Install 1.01 and it starts no problem. Patch to 1.14 and it doesn't recognise the CD so won't start the game

I can understand an original game not working but a patch that introduces a problem?

Old saying "if it ain't broke don't patch it"
Old November 29, 2002, 14:38   #21
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:40
Cerberus, you're from GB... current reports only speak of problems with the German and Dutch (better: Benelux) versions. Seems to be a European problem now!
Old November 29, 2002, 15:28   #22
aebrahim
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
As a work-around for the text cut-off you could use voice chat.
Yeah I suppose that this would work, but we really shouldn't have to resort to this. Getting chat to work should be a top priority for a multiplayer game.

Besides, voice chat isn't even documented anywhere. How does it work?
Old November 29, 2002, 16:53   #23
disorganizer
Prince

1.14F and international version:

does not work. it seems infogrames put up safedisc2 as new copy protection, and the us version seems to use securom... and as such as soon as u install the patch over a europe-version of ptw.... BOOM! "please insert disc".

Visit the Rebel Pub and Brewery in Bavaria, Fanatika!
Old November 29, 2002, 17:04   #24
Franses
King

1.14F and copy protection problem:

Did not receive a reaction from Infogrames today. Probably means no PTW this weekend after all.
Old November 29, 2002, 18:16   #25
Acemo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by kwpulliam1973
Here's a Bug -

The TAB key, (Which has worked as an alternate Wait command instead of W) has now stopped working. I have been using this key command for as long as I can remember, but now I can't cycle through my units with it.

Thanks for Listening

KP
the TAB key is used for voicechat, with it also functioning as a unit cycle key the result was awful.
I think this was taken out in ver 1.14f.
Old November 30, 2002, 07:51   #26
Magnu
Settler

I've just bought the game in the UK and having the same 'please insert CD' problem with the 1.14 patch
Old November 30, 2002, 09:14   #27
rockhopper
Settler

Ah, not sure what you mean Raion about the units.

When playing the single player game, (both regular Civ3 and single player PTW) the focus remains on the unit you are moving, so you dont have the trouble with not being able to see what it uncovers. When its movement is completed, there is a slight pause so you can see what is around.

Only when playing multiplayer on our LAN does the problem crop up, and its quite annoying.

It doesnt matter what order of units you move, it happens with all the units. You move it, focus jumps to the next one, then you have to go back and see what the previous unit found. Every unit, every move.

Also, I have noticed while playing in single player PTW that you dont get the new build order pop up, regardless of the MP pop-up setting. I am not told that a city has completed a city improvement, such as a granary.
Old November 30, 2002, 09:56   #28
from_istanbul
Settler

problem with ptw patches
hi everyone,

after i installed ptw patch1.04 (also same with 1.14f) a missing dll ifc23.dll is reported. Anyone experienced this before? I really need help.
Old November 30, 2002, 10:15   #29
Sunstone
Chieftain

>>1.14F and international version:
>
>>does not work. it seems infogrames put up safedisc2 as new >>copy protection, and the us version seems to use securom... >>and as such as soon as u install the patch over a europe->>version of ptw.... BOOM! "please insert disc".

Where did you get this information ?

You are talking about an "international" version...please read my post, I have got the US (!)-Version of both civ3 and ptw.

To get one thing straight:
1.14f with original CD : works for me !
1.14f with clone-copied CD : "cd-spinning-symbol" =doesnīt work.

What are you using ? When you are describing "bugs" of any sort, be as descriptive and detailed about your set up as you can.

Infogrames (firaxis?) seem to have installed some sort of copy-protection in this patch, WITHOUT mentioning it before. THIS is what really annoys me !

To recapture:
They didnīt fix :
1. MP only: "unit movement, focus jumps immediately (!) to the next unit" - Bug
2. text cut-off -Bug
3. MP : missing pop ups. Reason is obvious(my thread mentioned above), but there should be an option to turn them on.

Sometimes, you ask yourself, what the Beta-testers did in multiplayer. The missing pop ups are OBVIOUS in the first seconds of playing.
Thatīs very weak ! I think.

One last thing:
Can you load a 1.04f (old) Multiplayer-Savegame into 1.14f. If it is possible, why didnīt they even mention it in the readme. *grrr*
Old November 30, 2002, 11:21   #30
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Magnu
I've just bought the game in the UK and having the same 'please insert CD' problem with the 1.14 patch
Same happened to me. Bought the CD in the Netherlands (distributed by Inforgrames UK, Inforgrames Nordic Sweden) and it claims not to be the correct CD after installing patch 1.14.