Old November 30, 2002, 11:29   #31
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: problem with ptw patches
Quote:
Originally posted by from_istanbul
after i installed ptw patch1.04 (also same with 1.14f) a missing dll ifc23.dll is reported. Anyone experienced this before? I really need help.
Buy a copy of PTW, your problems will be solved.
Old November 30, 2002, 13:28   #32
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:41
Re: problem with ptw patches
Quote:
Originally posted by from_istanbul
hi everyone,

after i installed ptw patch1.04 (also same with 1.14f) a missing dll ifc23.dll is reported. Anyone experienced this before? I really need help.
Maybe you installed the wrong language version of PTW. Or try reinstalling...

You DID install PTW, didn't you??
Old November 30, 2002, 13:54   #33
dajackster
Settler

Local Time: 11:41
Fighter intercept crash
Since I've installed the 1.14f patch, PTW crashes nearly every time a fighter intercepts a bomber. Didn't have that problem before the patch. Anyone else experiencing the "fighter intercept" crash?
Old November 30, 2002, 16:18   #34
WarpStorm
King

No, I just had a major modern war and there was a lot of interception going on. Do you have a save right before it happens? Firaxis likes to see saves that show the problems.
Old November 30, 2002, 22:53   #35
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:41
Re: Fighter intercept crash
Quote:
Originally posted by dajackster
Since I've installed the 1.14f patch, PTW crashes nearly every time a fighter intercepts a bomber. Didn't have that problem before the patch. Anyone else experiencing the "fighter intercept" crash?
In vanilla Civ 3 there was a known bug involving air intercept missions near the edges (east-west) of the map. Don't know if it was ever fixed.

Like WarpStorm, I just finished a 1.14f game that ended via spacerace in the modern era -- I had numerous intercepts without problems.

Catt
Old December 1, 2002, 00:51   #36
Martock
Warlord

i've found a bug with terrain settings. i had tweaked the rules about and allowed deserts to forested by workers. unfortunately, since installing PTW i have found it impossible to do so. prior to installing it in my normal civ3 game, i can do this and it works. when i set my workers about to changing deserts to forests in my present games, the workers make like they are planting. however once the alloted amount of time is completed, there is no forest, only desert.
Old December 1, 2002, 05:53   #37
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:41
The young trees died. You have to water them...
Old December 1, 2002, 08:43   #38
Sandy
Settler

If anyone is really desperate, i have a no-cd here.
If you want it, email some proof that you bought the game and ill send it.
Old December 1, 2002, 13:33   #39
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy
If anyone is really desperate, i have a no-cd here.
If you want it, email some proof that you bought the game and ill send it.
For which version? If it is 1.14, I'll imediatelly scan in my voucher or however you call that little piece of paper you get in the shop and mail it to you, if that is a sufficient proof for you.

Btw, how do I find out your address?
Old December 1, 2002, 15:31   #40
Pinochet
Settler

Sandy was kind enough to forward that patch to me. However, I still get asked for the CD, so I see no difference between that executable and the one installed by the 1.14f patch, other than the file date, which shows November 27.
Old December 1, 2002, 15:49   #41
Sandy
Settler

You still need the cd to play (for media etc i assume), however it bypasses the securom/safedisc copy protection i think, which a number of you have been having problems with.

try
www.megagames.com or
www.gamecopyworld,

however the content on these sites is questionable, and be aware that some of these 'no-cd' cracks could potentially infect your computer with a virus (as most are executable), so i would run them through a scanner first.

There are tools you can use to make an image of your game cd and put it on your hard disc, and then mount the image virtually (similar idea to using the unix mount command with a disc image).

I think its called "daemon tools" or something.

With this combined with the 'no-cd' cracks that are kicking about, you shouldnt need to keep digging for your cd when you want a blast online at civ3.

Anyway, i have tried to be as helpful as possible. If anyone thinks ive overstepped the mark here w.r.t copy protection ill delete this post.

To all the people who have copied the game, please buy it. It really is worth £16 (im my country).

--
To games developers: Localised copy protection such as safedisc is stupid, it hinders legitimate consumers, and anyone with half a brain can still copy the software. It would have been more effective to use an online authentication method seen in lots of other games (e.g quake 3 unique cd keys). The game is verified to be unique (not a copy), and the authentication process is transparant to the user ... much better, rather than using a cd which can just be replicated..
Old December 1, 2002, 16:16   #42
Pinochet
Settler

I completely agree with Sandy regarding the best way to authenticate legitimate copies.

Requiring a CD in the drive penalizes rightful owners of the game, who have to deal with this hassle, while hackers need only copy the game CD and insert their pirated copy in the CD ROM, just as the rightful owners do, until a no-cd hack comes out.

I think next time I will wait 6 months after the release of a game with this requirement, before buying it. By that time, the game will run smoother thanks to the patches correcting problems, plus a no-cd hack should be avilable as well by then.

Or, maybe we should forget PC games that employ these hassles, and enjoy the outdoors more...! LOL
Old December 1, 2002, 16:59   #43
Sandy
Settler

I mean, fair enough, use CD copy protection for games that are aimed at a 'single player' market, but it makes so much sense to have online authentication for a game that is being sold for its online / multiplayer features.
Old December 1, 2002, 17:35   #44
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 12:41
Sandy, do you read your PMs? I'd contact you via email if I knew your email address....and the Apolyton email feature doesn't allow attachments, so that I could send you the a copy of the bill. If you contact me, I'll give you my email.
If I understand it correctly, I still need the CD, it just works around the copy protection. That's good enough for me (cause I have the CD ).
Old December 1, 2002, 19:24   #45
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Local Time: 12:41
Don't worry, Sandy... (off to play ptw)
Old December 1, 2002, 21:29   #46
Gyromancer
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Well, to get back to the subject, I've noticed a lot MORE lag playing 1.14 on a lan (2 player) I especially see lag moving units and adjusting the science allocation slider. Anyone else experiencing this?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Old December 2, 2002, 00:14   #47
BlackOut
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

Local Time: 03:41
Unable to change from local to internet
Games during MP. Its stuck on local. Seems to work via gamespy...
Old December 2, 2002, 00:28   #48
Martock
Warlord

the military advisor screen is so slow as to make it practically useless. once spies arrive, it's 10 times worse. i know i'm not the only person to experience this so i know it's not just my machine or the version or modifications.

also, i STILL can't plant trees in deserts...sigh...desert reclaimation is possible today, even though it's a expensive and time consuming task.
Old December 2, 2002, 09:42   #49
Mkinser
Chieftain

Hall of Fame not working
I play single player only...unfortunately I do not have time to play an MP game.

Anyhow, I finsihed my first PTW game, get my ranking and it goes to the Hall of Fame page. Where absolutely nothing shows up. Show all scores or just the civ that I was using and nothing shows up.

Anybody else seen this one?
Old December 2, 2002, 13:37   #50
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Actually, games like Civ III & Civ III: PTW should not have a requirement that those playing it go online to register.

The fastest way to play a multiplayer Civ III game is via hot seat when possible, and I don't see why people should be forced to go online as a copy protection messure for that.

As it is there is too much software requiring online authenication. Two examples are Quicken 1998+ and Windows XP.
Old December 2, 2002, 15:02   #51
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Problem:

I downloaded the patch and fired up an SP save game from v. 1.04. I was using my own mod.

Well, a lot of the text is totally screwed up on almost all the screens. I get really weird things in place of what was normally the commands when one right-clicked on a unit or city. The Diplomacy screen is messed up the same way, making it practically unusable. Any idea why this is happening? Are all my old PTW save games now frigged because of the patch?
Old December 2, 2002, 15:07   #52
Martock
Warlord

Boris G, i had the same thing when i first installed the new patch over the old patch. ultimately i uninstalled PTW and reinstalled the NEW PATCH (1.14) without installing P1.04.

i think if u uninstalled both patches and reinstall the new one you should be fine. otherwise you'll have to uninstall PTW and all the patches and start from scratch again.
Old December 2, 2002, 15:49   #53
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Re: Hall of Fame not working
Quote:
Originally posted by Mkinser
Anyhow, I finsihed my first PTW game, get my ranking and it goes to the Hall of Fame page. Where absolutely nothing shows up. Show all scores or just the civ that I was using and nothing shows up.

Anybody else seen this one?
Yes. See the thread Firaxis, please give me back high scores (HoF)!
Old December 3, 2002, 08:49   #54
agoodfella
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:41
Patch Question
Sorry for the dumb q, but I have just bought PTW and installed and have downloaded the PTW patch and installed as well, my question is, will there be a problem if i download and install the CivIII 1.29 patch now?

Thanks
Old December 3, 2002, 09:07   #55
Master Marcus
Prince

Re: Patch Question
Quote:
Originally posted by agoodfella
Sorry for the dumb q, but I have just bought PTW and installed and have downloaded the PTW patch and installed as well, my question is, will there be a problem if i download and install the CivIII 1.29 patch now?

Thanks
No, not a prob, and your q is not dumb, especially if you want to play vanilla Civ III classic games. PTW has its own distinct folder within the Civ III one; so PTW patches have to be installed in PTW folder and vanilla Civ III 1.29 in your global Civ III folder. But if you do not intend to play classic Civ III games, you don't really need to install 1.29 since PTW includes all its fixes.
Old December 3, 2002, 21:23   #56
LordCanar
Settler

I agree, What a Shame be PTW
Quote:
Ah, not sure what you mean Raion about the units.
When playing the single player game, (both regular Civ3 and single player PTW) the focus remains on the unit you are moving, so you dont have the trouble with not being able to see what it uncovers. When its movement is completed, there is a slight pause so you can see what is around.
Only when playing multiplayer on our LAN does the problem crop up, and its quite annoying.
It doesnt matter what order of units you move, it happens with all the units. You move it, focus jumps to the next one, then you have to go back and see what the previous unit found. Every unit, every move.
Also, I have noticed while playing in single player PTW that you dont get the new build order pop up, regardless of the MP pop-up setting. I am not told that a city has completed a city improvement, such as a granary.

The exact same problems I have with the game, out of me and my two friends who have been playin civ II sence the begining, one can't play because the game still does not truely use IP direct conect. And for some reason (We suspect Port 80) the game keeps crashing on his earthlink dsl, even though the patch was supposed to fix this. And I frankly refuse to play it, as does my other friend, because of the total lack of pop up notifications, and the whole thing with manually changing the tech bein researched because the comp auto selects for u, WTF!! I had hoped the patche would fix this, yet another disapiontment like so many sence i bought this expansion that should have been a patch. Thanx infograms, AND feraxis, for poorly anticipating what civ fans wanted, and ruining the game, by changing the format, delevering inadequate sprite based graphics that spit in the face of my geforce 4. When looking at the leaps and bounds from civ I to civ II, I anticipated a much better graphics engine, but lazy devs make lazy games, not to mention buggy botched and poorly planed.
Oh, I'm done flamin, u may go back to reporting bugs, crashes and hoping some century they will be fixed.....
As for my copy, It's already collecting dust on the shelf next to Conquest. Guess I will just play the comp for a few more weeks before finding something else, Arx Fatalis is some what entertaining, Sim City 4 and Orion 3 will be out soon, not to mention Shadowbane. Ahhhhh, what this game could have, no... should have meant to me.....
-peace-
Old December 4, 2002, 01:50   #57
abbamouse
Settler

Minor bug: City names / founding cities
If I begin to found a city, then cancel at the city-naming stage, the game still increments through the city list. So if I press B again to found a city, the suggested city name is not the same but rather the next city name on the list. I wonder if it's possible to cycle through the whole city list without founding a single city....
Old December 4, 2002, 11:40   #58
agoodfella
Chieftain

Local Time: 19:41
Re: Re: Patch Question
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Marcus

No, not a prob, and your q is not dumb, especially if you want to play vanilla Civ III classic games. PTW has its own distinct folder within the Civ III one; so PTW patches have to be installed in PTW folder and vanilla Civ III 1.29 in your global Civ III folder. But if you do not intend to play classic Civ III games, you don't really need to install 1.29 since PTW includes all its fixes.
Thanks for your advice MM
Old December 4, 2002, 12:06   #59
Mkinser
Chieftain

Memory Bleed
I had my first memory bleed error last night.

I am playing an SP game with 7 AI civs. I established embassies with all of the AI civs and returned to my Foreign Advisor screen to see all of the treaty lines so i could see who I could get to join an alliance to whack one of my neighbors.

No lines at all. I thought that was kind of weird, but went on with the game. My first worker cycles and I go to give him an order, and none of the order icons are visible. So now I know for sure that something is wrong. I go to save the game and I start getting messages that my computer is running low on virtual memory. I keep my VM set around 450 MB, and this should be more than sufficient. So I start trying to switch it around, but the game finally just crashed out on me. Started it back up from the last save, which was right after I had established all embassies, and the game ran fine. It ran fine for 2 more hours after that.

Not exactly sure what went wrong.

Last edited by Mkinser; December 4, 2002 at 12:18.
Old December 4, 2002, 13:14   #60
Master Marcus
Prince

450 MB of vm is definitely not enough , EVEN for a game like this - not a 3D game OK, BUT still very demanding especially for huge map+ units processing. I think 600 MB available every time is the minimum. Actually I have around 8500 MB free for vm, so it's more than enough for every existent game. However this reminds me the 6000 MB, yes 6000, they recommend in the readme for optimal gaming. Perhaps it's a typo error and they meant 600, but I wouldn't be surprised if more is needed for prolonged gameplay ( 2+ hours ).