Old January 26, 2003, 10:23   #151
Acererak
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
notable things:

the "we love the king day", "cultural expansion" type news should have the city associated with them in MP.

I second that!
Old January 26, 2003, 23:08   #152
mrknightly
Settler

Local Time: 23:41
mutiplayer crash
Noticed that there is a resync error every time one takes over a city using berserkers via amphibous assult. These may or may not occur through other amphibous units.
Old January 28, 2003, 13:11   #153
twoflower
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:41
damn thing won't load! I have the CD in the drive and no video driver relatred poroblems! I have 1.14 so that might be thecause
Old January 29, 2003, 11:23   #154
SuperCiv
Civilization II Multiplayer
Settler

1) civ3 ptw patch 1.14 problem with menus....

the picture...did'nt work. the problem is: when I enter civ3 main menu, there is NO MENU!!! I just press ENTER cause I know the position of the mark is at "New game", then I enter the landscape select-menu seem like before. But when I begin to play it is all these strange menu-names

Instead of "zoom to city" I get "Give off [city name]"!

Really strange.

2) The games crash now and then, The message is that civ3 do not find a file like for example "WorkerModernunit.flc" or something.

Anyone has a solution? I have also uninstalled the game.

Superciv

Last edited by SuperCiv; January 29, 2003 at 11:32.
Old February 1, 2003, 03:15   #155
marcmfs
Settler

whoa.... I use a 512mb ddr nforce with 1700xp, and havn't had a major slowdown even in those conditions.
Could this be a "bug" in the progrmaing for the P4 threads? or is the game not setup to actually use different code for PIII, Athlon, and P4? if that is the case, and since both the PIII and Athlon are "bad" coding friendly and the P4 isn't then its not a problem with your memory amounts or even type of memory.
Of course if your using SDRAM with that P4 that would only make it worse but is not the principal cause for the slow down.
I think youll find that as they bring other patches up your wait for turn will be less.
BTW the other system I run a HUGE map and ALL civs available to play is a 366 PII with 64 mbs of memory, and even then I don't get 5 minute waits in the worst of circumstances. At most its close to 3 minutes.
I don't have a P4 system to check to see if what I said above could be the case.
Old February 1, 2003, 03:25   #156
marcmfs
Settler

divide by zero error
my nice new wonderful game of PTW, is bugged. not knew news to anybody in this forum.
I get a divide by zero error in the civilization3x.exe when my civilization is getting to big and I might just win the game. Drives me nutz.
Hopefully they will repair this problem soon.
Old February 4, 2003, 01:16   #157
Timor
Settler

Bugs
Here is some bug that appears:

- Automate bomber may occurs lost synch
- Nuclear War with AI freeze game (It's seem that I received at least 50 nuke missile on the same city.

All this with the last patch..... doh!
Old February 4, 2003, 09:14   #158
tonyhaug
Chieftain

Several bugs in single player mode
I'd like to report a few bugs in the single player mode.

I only play single player because I've given up on getting into a multiplayer game. I've tried over 20 times and have NEVER been successful on Gamespy. My computer ALWAYS freezes up. And yes, I have the latest patch!

First, After getting the Leonardo's Workshop wonder, In one city I upgraded a horse to a knight. The picture upgraded OK but the when I right clicked on the city to see what units were in it, it still showed a horse. This continued, even after I upgraded it again to calvary. One note, this was in a captured city. Had no problem with upgrades in any other city.

Next, when I eliminated one of the civilizations, I didn't get the civilization eliminated message. They had NO other cities on the map (I had explored the entire map). Later in the game, one of the cities I had captured from them reverted to them!!! I went back several turns and replayed so that it would not happen again. Later in game the phantom civilization wanted to trade World Maps, which I did. The map still showed that they had NO cities!! They also finally signed a peace treaty with me.

I'm still playing this game, so we'll see how it turns out! Myself and the Chinese are the only two civilizations left showing on the map.
Old February 4, 2003, 14:01   #159
marcmfs
Settler

Re: Several bugs in single player mode
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyhaug
I'd like to report a few bugs in the single player mode.

I only play single player because I've given up on getting into a multiplayer game. I've tried over 20 times and have NEVER been successful on Gamespy. My computer ALWAYS freezes up. And yes, I have the latest patch!

First, After getting the Leonardo's Workshop wonder, In one city I upgraded a horse to a knight. The picture upgraded OK but the when I right clicked on the city to see what units were in it, it still showed a horse. This continued, even after I upgraded it again to calvary. One note, this was in a captured city. Had no problem with upgrades in any other city.

Next, when I eliminated one of the civilizations, I didn't get the civilization eliminated message. They had NO other cities on the map (I had explored the entire map). Later in the game, one of the cities I had captured from them reverted to them!!! I went back several turns and replayed so that it would not happen again. Later in game the phantom civilization wanted to trade World Maps, which I did. The map still showed that they had NO cities!! They also finally signed a peace treaty with me.

I'm still playing this game, so we'll see how it turns out! Myself and the Chinese are the only two civilizations left showing on the map.
I am not sure if this is a bug or not.... the phantom civ that is. The reason I say this is that I have had a mixture of civs that get eliminated from the game and some that don't. The key here is that I don't know if the civ in question still has some units (?settlers?) if that will kill it or not. Also I have not been able to determine a pattern, it could be that the civs that are "principal" to you, that is the ones that in the original civ whre the only ones you saw in the foreign advisor screen, that those will show as eliminated but that the ones that aren't will not. In which case it definetly is an unintended feature.
Old February 4, 2003, 14:55   #160
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

being as i found so many bugs, i'd like to be listed as a beta tester, please

well, at least my name is in ptw in the scenario's section
Old February 4, 2003, 18:59   #161
JRWMD
Settler

Local Time: 04:41
Hotseat crash
Hotseat crash

I am able to play and host games on Gamespy (yes it took some doing...)

My Civ buddy is not able to connect to me, however, either via Gamespy or direct IP.

We found that he cannot even host a hotseat game; the game immediately crashes when he tries to set it up. Civ3X has to close, please send info to MS etc.

This does not sound like a firewall problem, but I just thought I'd ask here if anyone had any ideas.

TIA, JR

Last edited by JRWMD; February 9, 2003 at 14:27.
Old February 5, 2003, 07:22   #162
tonyhaug
Chieftain

See my words above. I found out why the phantom civ was still alive!! They still had a settler on a boat out in the ocean just sitting there. Much later in the game, the Chinese eliminated the last city of another civ and left the spot vacant. The phantom civ's boat went over, unloaded the settler and built a city. Then the Chinese just came in and eliminated them!!!! So, problem solved. Civilizations are not eliminated till all cities AND settlers are eliminated. AND your captured cities CAN revert to their old civilization even if that civ has NO cities on the map!!! Although it's not a bug, this should be eliminated!
Old February 7, 2003, 16:17   #163
craig71l
Settler

Re: Re: Fighter intercept crash
Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

In vanilla Civ 3 there was a known bug involving air intercept missions near the edges (east-west) of the map. Don't know if it was ever fixed.

Like WarpStorm, I just finished a 1.14f game that ended via spacerace in the modern era -- I had numerous intercepts without problems.

Catt
I am having the same p[roblem with this over and over and over again. HAs anyone that had this problem found a solution?
Old February 9, 2003, 11:43   #164
The Mad Monk
Emperor

nm
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.

Last edited by The Mad Monk; February 10, 2003 at 01:07.
Old February 12, 2003, 03:20   #165
ranchodj
Settler

biggest
I bought Civ3PTW about a month ago and have no played about 20 games. The biggest problem I have more than ANYtHING is quitters. I address two ways to fix this: 1) Have AI take over the quitters spot 2) Have the ability to have someone jump in that spot (like Yahoo games)...

Just a thought....
Old February 13, 2003, 15:14   #166
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 13:41
Edit : never mind.

Last edited by Spiffor; February 13, 2003 at 15:27.
Old February 25, 2003, 08:34   #167
Roadrunna
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Traelin
This weekend I found a bug in the AI pathfinding. Germany had a bunch of troops fortified throughout its territory, and I had a RoP with them and Greece. Germany was in the middle of my empire, and Greece was to the south. There should have been a ton of ways to use the "Go To" option to move my workers around, but for some reason the AI pathfinding got stuck in an infinite loop. The workers kept bouncing back and forth between two spots, instead of taking the long way around to get where I requested them to go.

I had to kill Civ, restart the CPU (cuz apparently when I killed the process it wouldn't restart properly), and move the workers manually. I'm pretty sure this bug never existed, because I've never had any problems with the AI pathfinding before.
That happened to me today. I thought I had autosaves turned off, but apparently not
Old February 28, 2003, 13:10   #168
MosesPresley
Prince

Unable to build Military Academy
Although I have the prerequisite technology, I am unable to build the Military Academy. I have attached a saved game file.
Attached Files:
File Type: sav military acad bug.sav (187.2 KB, 0 views)
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
—Orson Welles as Harry Lime
Old February 28, 2003, 13:26   #169
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Re: Unable to build Military Academy
Quote:
Originally posted by MosesPresley
Although I have the prerequisite technology, I am unable to build the Military Academy. I have attached a saved game file.
Moses, have you had a victorious army yet? In another words, did you build an army and win a fight with it? The only way to build the Military Academy is after your army has won a fight - and you have the prerequisite tech, of course.
Old February 28, 2003, 13:58   #170
MosesPresley
Prince

Wittlich,

First, thanks for the response.

From what I understand from the civlopedia, I read it again last night, so maybe I misread it from being a little groggy, is that you can build the military academy, regardless of a victorious army, once you have discovered Nationalism. If I am wrong please correct me. I just tried to load up PTW to check the civlopedia to make sure, but the stinking thing crashed and I don't want to reboot to correct it yet.

I'm going to have to sign off, reboot and sign on again later to double check my facts.
"In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
Old February 28, 2003, 14:12   #171
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Actually, it is "Military Tradition" you need - not "Nationalism." And you still need a victorious army before it will let you build it.

Go to the science advisor and click on Military Tradition. It will show the Military Academy as an improvement. Click on the Military Academy picture. This will bring up a screen telling you what is required for it. I hope this helps.
Old February 28, 2003, 14:14   #172
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

As a rule of thumb, I trust the Science Advisor over the Civlopedia, since I know there are a few errors in the Civlopedia (which have been reported in the past).
Old February 28, 2003, 14:15   #173
MosesPresley
Prince

Wittlich,

Just call me Mr. Dumas.

You are absolutely correct. I rebooted and checked the civlopedia. That's what I get for thinking at 3am and then posting about it the next day without double checking. Thanks for your help.
Old February 28, 2003, 14:18   #174
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Just checked the Civlopedia - It states the same thing as the Science Advisor. I guess you just missread it.
Old February 28, 2003, 14:19   #175
Wittlich
lifer
Deity

Cross post. No problem Moses. Glad I could help.