Old December 13, 2002, 14:53   #301
gsmoove23
Warlord

Local Time: 11:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I can see how you might see that as skewed but might I ask how you would explain having a 10 metre wide piece of land running the whole eastern and northeastern side of the lake? I think in that instance Britain was obviously pro-Israel.
Old December 13, 2002, 14:54   #302
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 14:43
Panag: you should be more cool-minded in these threads. This is the only way to go. don't let emotions get in the way. I, myself, had people I was familiar with (distantly) killed. But this changes nothing. Esp. nowadays, when everyone lives in the danger of global terrorism.
Old December 13, 2002, 14:56   #303
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
This clearly states that according to the armstice, the eastern shore of the lake would be demilitarized, i.e. not syrian, and the lake's water resources would be Israeli by default, as Israel controlled the other bank.
Yep, but if you read on you'll see that original plan broke down on both sides quite quickly. I realize the article doesn't agree completely with my previous line of thinking and I might have to adjust it if this is backed up in further readings.
Old December 13, 2002, 14:57   #304
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 05:43
How does one develop water resources they don't have?

The fact is that the whole coastal plain from Turkey down is a highly interconnected water system, and the only way all the states in the levant will meet their water needs is with some joint water usde program or commision. No matter how "wise" Israel's use of water has been, it is using up its resources drastically, and states like Syria and Lebanon do have the right to gripe about te fairness of water use, specially over sources that exists along borders.

Water agreements need to change with the times. A 1922 agreement on wateruse is a srelevant as a 1922 agreement on oil production quotas: ie. not very relevant at all.

(I agree with yuo that Cyber is far too knee-jerk anti-Israel to make many worthwhile statements)
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old December 13, 2002, 15:00   #305
gsmoove23
Warlord

"tough. should have developed their water resourses wisely.
Israel has the same problem, But we import water from turkey, and start desalinization programs."

Uh, Israel did a couple of other things to 'develop' their water resources. West Bank helped, and of course the Golan. What I find hard to take is that Israel complains so loudly about its water resources, while the whole region struggles with the problem.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:04   #306
gsmoove23
Warlord

GePap you say it much better then I could have.

Cyber-Gnu, while I think you make some worthwhile posts I do wish you would take a more reasoned approach.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:10   #307
Edan
Warlord

Local Time: 07:43
Quote:
Originally posted by HAND
Sounds like Israel will have to talk to the Palestinian authorities at some point in the future.
I'm drawing a parellel with Northern Ireland here...The British Government started secretly talking to the IRA(Irish Republican Army- Terrorst group? To me? Yes) in 1992, enough though the IRA were still shooting and blowing up British civilians and soldiers for the next to two years until they agreed to a ceasefire as a result of those secret talks. It was shocking in '94 to hear that the British Government had been talking to the IRA for two years, but now 10 years after i'm glad they did.
Well, that how the oslo accords started; secret talks between the Israeli government and the PLO. IIRC, Rabin wasn't even aware of the talks at the very start. There were also simmilarly secret talks between Israel and Nassers government sometime during the 50s, IIRC, although Nasser had broken them off, and they were about as useful as banging one's head against the wall to end a headache.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:14   #308
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Well, I can see how you might see that as skewed but might I ask how you would explain having a 10 metre wide piece of land running the whole eastern and northeastern side of the lake? I think in that instance Britain was obviously pro-Israel.
very simple. The lake had to belong to one of the superpowers, being so tiny in absolute terms, that dividing it would be silly.( how would you patrol the lake? with canoos?)
Placing the lake inside french territory would be illogical as well. That would mean that the coastal town of tiberias would be on one side, and the lake on the other, with the border going on the shore in the heart of the town. The other side of the lake had little in the way of human settlement, esp. comaring to the western side.

Quote:
How does one develop water resources they don't have?
desalanization is the way to go. in the meanwhile the could mine for water (drill to the aquifer)

Quote:
."

Uh, Israel did a couple of other things to 'develop' their water resources. West Bank helped, and of course the Golan. What I find hard to take is that Israel complains so loudly about its water resources, while the whole region struggles with the problem
where does Israel complain loudly? Lebanon screws israel over water, and noone cares. Israel is being attacked by Hizbollah? nothing. Israel may complain, but it surely is not reflected in the UN, which doesn't give a rat's ass. Btw, the westbank under Israeli rule has actually managed the water resources better than the palestinian authority, allowing more water for palestinians as well as for Israelis, and let us not forget the pollution of our streams by the West Bank's towns.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:23   #309
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
desalanization is the way to go. in the meanwhile the could mine for water (drill to the aquifer)

where does Israel complain loudly? Lebanon screws israel over water, and noone cares. Israel is being attacked by Hizbollah? nothing. Israel may complain, but it surely is not reflected in the UN, which doesn't give a rat's ass. Btw, the westbank under Israeli rule has actually managed the water resources better than the palestinian authority, allowing more water for palestinians as well as for Israelis, and let us not forget the pollution of our streams by the West Bank's towns.
If anyone is screwed by the water deal between Israel and Lebanon is lebanon. They get far less water ut of the same sources than Israel does. As for HIzbullah: they are carryoing attacks against Cheeba Farms. The worst I can see is to say that A lebanese organization is attcking Israeli troops on Israeli-occupied Syrian land. If Hizbullah attacked Israel itself, then you have an issue for the international community.

As for the West Bank: So we are going to judge how Palestinians use their water by 8 years of evidence controlling a limited amount of the water resources vs. Israel control of the water from 1967 to 1992? In no way is that s fair comparison.
Read reports by HRW and others on Israel's water policy. Compare water allocations for Israelis settlements and many Palestinian villages: Israel created a water infrastrcuture in the occupied territories from 1967 to 1992 to serve an occupation. The Plaestinians have had neither the time nor the resources to remake their water infrastructure. And as for Polution: of curse a very poor and highly agricultural economy will cause more polution if it is allowed ful sue of water than a richer, smaller, more urban one (from water infrastructure meant to provide for settlements to palestinian control.

The issue of water as a casue for the 1967 war has come up, as has a general water discussion. I found a very good link: the article is very long and detailed, but I think it is worthwile reading on the issue. it is not authoritative on the issue (nothing is, but its damn good):

http://www.pnl.gov/ces/academic/midleas2.htm

Last edited by GePap; December 13, 2002 at 15:33.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:32   #310
gsmoove23
Warlord

Quote:
very simple. The lake had to belong to one of the superpowers, being so tiny in absolute terms, that dividing it would be silly.( how would you patrol the lake? with canoos?)
That thinking is silly. It must be the first and only time that particular method was used to resolve a border dispute and it shows a complete disregard for the concerns of native inhabitants. Most times countries rely on natural obstructions in regard to borders.

Quote:
One prime example is the article you gave me which I believe states erroneously that Syria has no problems with water. As for managing water resources better then the PA I know a pack of trained monkeys that could... However, I was of the opinion that Israel still managed the West Bank water resources or at least had settlement blocs in a number of strategic places to make this the case anyway. I'll have to take your word for it in regards to West Bank towns polluting, I've never heard anything about it.

Last edited by gsmoove23; December 13, 2002 at 16:04.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:35   #311
gsmoove23
Warlord

Damn, keep cross posting with you Gepap. Do you believe the farms are occupied by Israeli soldiers? It always seemed pretty stupid to me, all that for a few acres.
Old December 13, 2002, 15:46   #312
GePap
Emperor

Cheeba (or Sheeba) farms is a small area that is occupied by Israeli forces. Hizbulah states that it is Lebanese land, and thus Israel still occupies Lebanese land, and thus they can attack there. Israel's contention is that it is Syrian land, and thus Hizbulah is breaking their word by attacking Israel when it puled out totally from Lebanon. I think Israel is geenrally correct, as far as the dosumentation goes. BUt do I care much that hizbullah is attacking Israeli troops in the occupied Golan? Not realy.

Here's another top notch water related link: it gives more technical data about the water resources of Israel and Jordan:

http://exact-me.org/overview/toc.htm
Old December 13, 2002, 16:08   #313
Az
Emperor

Quote:
It must be the first and only time that particular method was used to resolve a border dispute and it shows a complete disregard for the concerns of native inhabitants. Most times countries rely on natural obstructions in regard to borders.
you must be ****ing kidding. The imperial powers drew maps in rediculous ways, drawing straight lines hundreds of miles long.

Quote:
. BUt do I care much that hizbullah is attacking Israeli troops in the occupied Golan? Not realy
I hope you don't care when war breaks, too. This piece of land is:
a) about the size of my neighbourhood.
b) not the only place where Israeli soldiers have been attacked.
c) could cause a regional war.

Quote:

If anyone is screwed by the water deal between Israel and Lebanon is lebanon. They get far less water ut of the same sources than Israel does
errm, how come? there is only one source of water that Israel and lebanon share. in the past, the locals used all the water they needed from the river, while Israel it's share. Now, the Lebanonese ( Hizbullah ) try to pump away all the water, in the direct intention to spark a war, being the lackeys of the Iranians they are.

Quote:
As for the West Bank: So we are going to judge how Palestinians use their water by 8 years of evidence controlling a limited amount of the water resources vs. Israel control of the water from 1967 to 1992? In no way is that s fair comparison.
Read reports by HRW and others on Israel's water policy. Compare water allocations for Israelis settlements and many Palestinian villages: Israel created a water infrastrcuture in the occupied territories from 1967 to 1992 to serve an occupation. The Plaestinians have had neither the time nor the resources to remake their water infrastructure. And as for Polution: of curse a very poor and highly agricultural economy will cause more polution if it is allowed ful sue of water than a richer, smaller, more urban one (from water infrastructure meant to provide for settlements to palestinian control.
hmm, so how come do Palestinians get less water than during the occupation?
( I cannot source, But I distinctly read this in a newspaper, in the same place as the pollution problem )
Old December 13, 2002, 16:28   #314
CyberGnu
King

Gsmoove, it all depends on with whom I'm debating.

I'm usually calm when debating Ned, for example. Other people, no names named, pisses me off quite quickly...
Old December 13, 2002, 16:34   #315
gsmoove23
Warlord

Here is a question for you CyberGnu, because I've wondered what you think about it from your previous posts. Does Israel have a right to exist? Do Israelis within the Green Line have a right to stay and should some Israeli settlements stay?
Old December 13, 2002, 16:41   #316
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 06:43
Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23
Here is a question for you CyberGnu, because I've wondered what you think about it from your previous posts. Does Israel have a right to exist? Do Israelis within the Green Line have a right to stay and should some Israeli settlements stay?
"Well, there we're back to that oxymoron again: innocent civilians of Israel ..." - CyberGnu
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old December 13, 2002, 19:50   #317
CyberGnu
King

gsmoove, it depends on what you are asking.

Morally, I don't think Israel has a right to be there.

But practically, we all know that it isn't going away, and we will have to deal with reality. If we want a civilized solution to the conflict, we will have to accept Israels existance, and adhere to a deal.

(However, the settlements were implicitly part of the original Oslo accord, and I don't think we should expect the palestinians to accept a LESSER deal 10 years later...)

It is reminiscent of putting innocent people in jail... Yes, in a perfect world they should not be there, and morally, we have no right to put them there... But unfair things do happen, and we will just have to trust the system because it is the best we can come up with. You see what I mean?

Last edited by CyberGnu; December 13, 2002 at 19:56.
Old December 13, 2002, 19:52   #318
CyberGnu
King

gsmoove:
Quote:
Originally posted by gsmoove23

DinoDoc: "Well, there we're back to that oxymoron again: innocent civilians of Israel ..." - CyberGnu
You see what I mean?

Someone asks a simple, reasonable question, and some pro-Israeli idiot goes posting a completely irrelevant quote. Usually because they can't argue their own point without resorting to "might gives right", and that is when the accusations of fascism, anti-semitism or nazism comes out.
Old December 13, 2002, 19:55   #319
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
Someone asks a simple, reasonable question, and some pro-Israeli idiot goes posting a completely irrelevant quote.
1) The amusement value of the quote was too much for me to pass up given the question asked.

2) I'm only pro-Israeli in comparison to some of your views on the subject.
Old December 13, 2002, 19:57   #320
CyberGnu
King

What amusement value? It is still irrelevant to the question gsmoove placed.
Old December 13, 2002, 19:58   #321
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberGnu
What amusement value?
I never said it had to amuse you. Only me.
Old December 13, 2002, 20:08   #322
CyberGnu
King

Which makes my comment to gsmoove accurate.
Old December 14, 2002, 04:34   #323
Ned
King

Local Time: 03:43
What Syria, Jordan Leban, Israel and Palestine could really use is massive amounts of water. I haven't read all the links yet, but I think that water lies in the mountains to the North at the headwaters of the Tigris and Euphrates.

Perhaps one of the things the US, Europe and Russia could propose to help settle the ME dispute is to build a massive canal to transport water South. The Aswan dam was built this way in Egypt. (We and the Brits cut off funding when Nasser began nationalizing industries in '56. The Russians built the dam.)

The Canal could remain under UN control since it will traverse/affect so many countries.
Old December 14, 2002, 07:39   #324
Az
Emperor

Turkey wouldn't allow it. It's their water resourses, Geopolitical power that would be idiotic to give up.
Old December 14, 2002, 15:22   #325
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 13:43
Quote:
Panag: you should be more cool-minded in these threads. This is the only way to go. don't let emotions get in the way. I, myself, had people I was familiar with (distantly) killed. But this changes nothing. Esp. nowadays, when everyone lives in the danger of global terrorism.
hi ,

you might find it a bit difficult when your sister is waiting in the hospital for a operation to remove two bolts embedded next to her spinal core , .........

the main problem with "people" in far away countries thing that it cant happen to them , ......... well they are dead wrong , it can happen to anyone at anytime , ......

about the water , if the pals would not have destroyed themselves so much of the rain collecting and desalttation equipment , we would have a different land today , ........ we as Israeli's try to capture and possibly even reuse water , but no , the pals have to drill deeper and deeper , "oh says the world , what a shame" , but the world forgets a couple of things , when you drill on a hill its logical you have to drill deeper to get to the water , on top of that they dont want to talk about sustained supply , ....... no sir , they prefer to let the water run and go to waste , instead of collecting it , ......
take a look at a sattelite picture of Israel from 1970 and one from 1995 , Israel shows up like a green oasis , why , well because we try to get the max from out of what we have , ..........

as for syria , pfffffff , they have plenty of water , the same for jordan , the same for libanon , its not our fault that they are a bit lazzy to work , ........
and no-one is complaining that they are building dams to divert the water on the borders , but of course that is no news , .......... no-one talks about the syrians and jordans drilling water and then letting it run to the dessert where it evaporates without having any practical use , .......... the workers on the border are even to stupid to flush the toilet with water , ..............

water , well there is enough for all to go around , but its not the Israeli's fault that they are to stupid to work with it , .........

have a nice day
Old December 14, 2002, 15:40   #326
Az
Emperor

Quote:
you might find it a bit difficult when your sister is waiting in the hospital for a operation to remove two bolts embedded next to her spinal core , .........
I didn't know. I am sorry.

Old December 15, 2002, 16:05   #327
GePap
Emperor

While I asure you Panag that everyone here hopes your sister gets better and finds what was done to her criminal and unacceptable, I still must disagree with your notion that someone form the outside can't 'know' enough to argue. Sometimes what someone needs is distance from the pain.

Azazel:
As for Hizbullah: in what other parts of the border has Hizbulah carried out attacks against the IDF besides the Cheeba farms? The most i have heard off is anti-aircraft shells falling unto Israel that were fired up in the air by Hizbullah, as a ***-for tat act aftre Israeli air incursions into Southern Lebanon.

As for the water issue: Last time I heard, haven't the last few yeras been one of geenral 'drought' in the region, with israel itself having to place strict limits on water use due to shortages? What effect has damage to geenral Palestinian infrastructure had to due with less efficient use of water, what effect does greater population have, and what effects have the general political and economic outcomes of the current violence had on the ammount Plaestinians get? All of these would be issues to consider as far as water use goes.
Old December 15, 2002, 16:35   #328
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
While I asure you Panag that everyone here hopes your sister gets better and finds what was done to her criminal and unacceptable, I still must disagree with your notion that someone form the outside can't 'know' enough to argue. Sometimes what someone needs is distance from the pain.

Azazel:
As for Hizbullah: in what other parts of the border has Hizbulah carried out attacks against the IDF besides the Cheeba farms? The most i have heard off is anti-aircraft shells falling unto Israel that were fired up in the air by Hizbullah, as a ***-for tat act aftre Israeli air incursions into Southern Lebanon.

As for the water issue: Last time I heard, haven't the last few yeras been one of geenral 'drought' in the region, with israel itself having to place strict limits on water use due to shortages? What effect has damage to geenral Palestinian infrastructure had to due with less efficient use of water, what effect does greater population have, and what effects have the general political and economic outcomes of the current violence had on the ammount Plaestinians get? All of these would be issues to consider as far as water use goes.
hi ,

since when is an 120 mm mortar used as AA , .......

the IAF doesnt go there unless two acts of violence happend , ...... we at least respect the nation of libanon , we respect their borders , they cant even control it , ......

have a nice day
Old December 15, 2002, 17:42   #329
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Errm, that "accident" a couple of days ago, when the road along the border was mined, and an Israeli border patrol was blown up, severly injuring 2 Israeli soldiers.
Old December 15, 2002, 17:52   #330
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

Errm, that "accident" a couple of days ago, when the road along the border was mined, and an Israeli border patrol was blown up, severly injuring 2 Israeli soldiers.
hi ,

not to mention of all the houses that are empty now because hezzfucball shoots true the fence at the border each day , ......

and the UN just sits back in some lawnchairs a bit further reading newspapers , .......

strange how some people only complain when certain "species" get hit , .......

the only good terrorist is a death one

have a nice day