Old December 1, 2002, 14:53   #31
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
That would be an excellent way to handle it, Jaybe.
Old December 1, 2002, 16:49   #32
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe
I'VE GOT IT!!
The HoF screen shows the "no changes" scores, but there is a drop-down menu of other scenarios which have scores saved.

Choose the scenario, and it shows the scores for those games!
OK, I concur. Someone at Firaxis is reading this???
Old December 1, 2002, 17:39   #33
Purple
Prince

I could go along with this, but I think "All Games" should be an option.

And the selected scenario should be sticky, i.e., saved in the .ini file, so those who play with their own personal mod don't have to select it every time they want to look at the HoF.
Old December 3, 2002, 11:30   #34
Mkinser
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:43
What a crock
So what I understand from this thread is....

Since I altered the bix file to include some city names to get around the annoying "New such-and-such", my games will no longer be added to the HOF? What a bunch of bull!

One other thing that I did notice about this BTW -

The HIGH_SCORES.CV3 file was not in my PTW root directory. When I tried to view any of my high scores from regular CIV3, none showed up here. I copied the CV3 file from CIV3 root into PTW root and viewed my high scores and they showed up.

I am going to try again tonight to finish my recently finished save game (just start at the last autosave for it and play out the last turn again) and see if it gets added to the high scores or not. My guess is that it won't based on what I am reading in this thread.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:33   #35
FNBrown
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 03:43
I came across this for the first time last night, much to my consternation.

I was playing a hotseat game with the wife, and it was the first time she had won a game (our prior multiplayer LAN attempts had been given up due to chronic "out of synch" errors). I had her watch all the end-game hoopla, and then said, "See here, honey? You'll have your name in the hall of fame..."

... and then was presented with a blank screen.

This was a bit aggravating, and I would very much like to see this problem corrected.
Old December 3, 2002, 13:56   #36
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Mkinser
I am going to try again tonight to finish my recently finished save game (just start at the last autosave for it and play out the last turn again) and see if it gets added to the high scores or not. My guess is that it won't based on what I am reading in this thread.
Right. I tried this, and new "modded-game" victories are not automatically displayed. You have to add them manually.
Old December 3, 2002, 17:02   #37
Stuie
King

Local Time: 07:43
If you save your modded .bix file over the civ3.bix (or whatever the ptw one is called, backing it up first, of course) will the game then record HOF scores? I'd test it if I were at home....

... but I'm at work.
Old December 3, 2002, 20:01   #38
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple
Right. I tried this, and new "modded-game" victories are not automatically displayed. You have to add them manually.
How do you do that, and will it work?
Old December 3, 2002, 20:03   #39
Nucular874
Settler

Local Time: 11:43
Manually adding modded games is a drag. Firaxis should be able to fix this easy enough.
Old December 3, 2002, 21:16   #40
Master Marcus
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Nucular874
Manually adding modded games is a drag. Firaxis should be able to fix this easy enough.
Yeah, and Firaxis should , but my bet is...it won't be fixed unless there's a strong fan petition about this - which isn't the case. Too much players don't really care about the HoF. Modders that care have some work to do I guess......
Old December 4, 2002, 09:51   #41
Mkinser
Chieftain

Terrible
OK, so it still doesn't work when I moved the file to the PTW directory. When grasping at straws, I cling to every hope I can.

I still have to add my entries manually, which isn't time consuming but is ridiculous. I will sending my thoughts off to Firaxis on such a moronic decision.
Old December 4, 2002, 09:58   #42
Mkinser
Chieftain

How to do it
Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

Falconius, here is how you add them in. Thanks to Purple by the way for the original posting of this info earlier.

you add the entries to the High_Scores.CV3 file. You can open with NotePad or WordPad or any other text editor. The format of the data isn't fixed.

Each line contains the following information: Name, Civilization number, Score, Difficulty,

Victory type, and Won/Lost.

The Civilization numbers are as follows:

1 Rome
2 Egypt
3 Greece
4 Babylon
5 Germany
6 Russia
7 China
8 America
9 Japan
10 France
11 India
12 Persia
13 Aztec
14 Zululand
15 Iroquois
16 England
17 Mongols
18 Spain
19 Scandinavia
20 Ottomans
21 Celt
22 Arabia
23 Carthage
24 Korea

Difficulty level 0 corresponds to Chieftan, 1 to Warlord, etc.

Victory types

0 Domination
1 Military
2 Cultural
3 Diplomatic
4 Space Race
5 Retired
6 Rank

Examples:

Ronnie_Reagan 8 694 0 3 0
Full_of_Bull 15 1415 1 2 1
Michaelkov 6 899 1 1 1
Seizure_Upchuckus 1 948 1 0 1

( Ronnie Reagan, American, 694, Chieftan, Diplomatic, Lost)
(Full of Bull, Iroqouis, 1415, Warlord, Cultural, Won)
(Michaelkov, Russia, 899, Warlord, Military, Won)
(Upchuckus, Rome, 948, Warlord, Domination, Won)

I hope this helps
Old December 4, 2002, 10:48   #43
Amadan
Chieftain

Thanks Mkinser for the codes.
Easy, but pointless if they would fix it. Which seems unlikely if they didn't fix it after complaints from the beta testers.

A simple * or Scen would distinguish modded rules from the norm.

Old December 4, 2002, 14:39   #44
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

You open the HighScores.cv3 file in a text editor and add a line for your newly completed game. I outlined this in detail in an earlier post in this same thread.
Old December 4, 2002, 14:46   #45
Purple
Prince

Oops! I posted my reply to Falconius before I read the next page in this thread.

Thanks, Mkinser, for filling in the gaps in my original post. I'll edit it to add that information.
Old December 20, 2002, 09:41   #46
Mkinser
Chieftain

Suggestion
How about this for a possible solution....

In the editor, give the player the ability to enter a name for the mod (10-20 characters), and then put that name on the HOF as well.

That way, Firaxis can keep its little "these aren't true games" thinking and we that actually like the HOF but not the standard rules (or simply city names) can see our games show up on it.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:03   #47
SK138
Warlord

I was about to post a question just like this because I had the same problem a few days ago. I hope Firaxis does something about it. They should of known, especially with PTW that most people are probably going to play edited games.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:22   #48
Minmaster
Warlord

yea firaxis has effectively made me stop playing the game until a patch to show all high scores.
Old December 20, 2002, 15:57   #49
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 04:43
Quote:
Originally posted by Minmaster
taking away HoF for people who use the editor/mods was quite possibly one of the major bonehead moves by firaxis, imo (right up there with shipping PtW w/ shoddy multiplayer).
Quote:
Originally posted by Minmaster
firaxis has effectively made me stop playing the game until a patch to show all high scores.
I can sympathize with your frustration at not having modded games show up in the HoF, and I too can't understand why excluding them from the HoF makes any real sense (let alone is important enough to justify changing previous code) . . . . but don't you think you're taking this a bit far? The change to HoF is as big a problem as the (unpatched) challenges with MP? And the change has somehow "effectively made [you] stop playing the game" (emphasis added).

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face - it seems a shame that you would let the minor annoyance of having to manually keep track of your personal bests keeps you from playing a game that (I assume) you otherwise enjoy.

Catt
Old January 5, 2003, 11:49   #50
=DrJambo=
Prince

Local Time: 11:43
Hmmm, well personally i think this stinks. I play my game privately in the comfort of my own home and used to love watching my various attempts at beating the AI getting racked up in the HoF.

Now, for MP, i can understand the reasoning behind not saving the scores in the HoF for posting on websites, etc. But rather than simply removing the scoring for modded games there have been many better suggestions here in this thread than the one Firaxis ended up using. Instead, now each and every game i play is simply forgotten and i cannot attempt to better my previous attempts. Pants.

Firaxis have removed that personal privilege from me....and why?....simply to prevent people claiming they can beat Deity easily!? I'm sorry, that's just not a good enough reason!!
Old January 5, 2003, 17:35   #51
Minmaster
Warlord

i HOPE this will be addressed in the next patch. has anyone asked any of the firaxis guys about this issue?
Old January 6, 2003, 01:24   #52
Yurt
Warlord

I can't believe they did this intentionally! They provide an easy-to-use editor, which disables the hall of fame? That's crap! I modded my game to add fascism, add city names, lower the obscene costs of some units and buildings, and edit some units like the chariot and archer to make them useful. Why should they care, even if we are cheating horribly, if we get high scores with modded files? What's the point of having an editor anyway?

STUPID FIRAXIS! STUPID!

BTW where is this halloffame file located? And has anyone tried flipping it with the old hall of fame? (Would probably crash with PTW civs, but might work with other civs).
Old January 6, 2003, 13:28   #53
EzInKy
Settler

Local Time: 07:43
I'm going to chime in here too as a long time single player who has created his own custom civ for years with Civ II, Civ II Gold, Test Of Time, Civ III, and now PTW. No matter how enjoyable a game is, recording scores is a fundamental factor in motivating players coming back for more to try to best their previous games and try out new strategies. In my book, the HOF glitch is bigger than any MP bug.
Old January 6, 2003, 19:13   #54
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Yurt
BTW where is this halloffame file located? And has anyone tried flipping it with the old hall of fame? (Would probably crash with PTW civs, but might work with other civs).
Two versions of HighScores.cv3 exist: in the Civilization III folder (for Civ 3) and in the CIV3PTW folder (for PTW).

This thread (first page) gives information for modifying these files manually. And yes, you can copy the old HoF to the new location without consequence.
Old January 6, 2003, 19:28   #55
Yurt
Warlord

Are you sure there's one in the PTW folder? I ran a search on my C drive for Highscores.cv3 and only the original came up. I can't find it by browsing either (obviously...). Maybe it hasn't been created yet because I haven't registered a high score (I modded the game before playing it).

But thanks for the help anyway, I will move my old high scores file into the new location.
Old January 7, 2003, 19:20   #56
Purple
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Yurt
Are you sure there's one in the PTW folder? I ran a search on my C drive for Highscores.cv3 and only the original came up. I can't find it by browsing either (obviously...). Maybe it hasn't been created yet because I haven't registered a high score (I modded the game before playing it).

But thanks for the help anyway, I will move my old high scores file into the new location.
You are correct. The file doesn't exist until the first unmodded game concludes (or until you create or copy one).
Old January 7, 2003, 20:19   #57
Yurt
Warlord

It's a good thing that it's so easy to edit high scores. I got everything working, which amazingly wasted very little of my time (compared to re-modding my game every time there's a patch!) but it's still ridiculous that they include an editor and then punish you for using it.
Old January 8, 2003, 14:22   #58
Code Monkey
Chieftain

Yes, this is a pretty big f-up on their part. Not only did they skimp on the add-on by not at the very least giving us a movie for each victory type (the pop-up hasn't gotten any more thrilling ), they take away the *one* bit of icing that was there for finishing games.

The vanilla rules suck and they really should know it by now, but since they seem to have no interest in fixing themselves, the least they could do is not penalise people's fun by saying "HA! That wasn't a real Civ game."
Old January 8, 2003, 23:59   #59
Minmaster
Warlord

again, guys this supposedly was put in intentionally, not a glitch, bug, or f-up. actually, if it was a glitch, bug, or f-up, i would have been more understanding, but the fact that firaxis actually took time to implement this crap pisses me off...