Old November 27, 2002, 20:33   #1
fladiv
Settler

Local Time: 15:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
playing over private LAN, I mean NOT playing
It seems that certain game-producing companies have somewhat limited notion of what the LAN is. Specifically, they somewhy suppose that if a LAN has multiple segments and a router(s) that pass packets from one segment to another (and vice versa) then this is not a LAN. This observation is made from fact that all of new games think that broadcast packets sent from game server host would reach all LAN's machines that might wish to join the game. But this is definitely not so for even small networks, say 10 computers, such as my own home net.

I suppose that authors meant us to use internet's Gamespy service.. Alas, this is not possible because we do not have constant connection to Internet, in fact we do not have any at all, ever... So is that correct that there is no way to multiplay Civ3:PtW over such networks?

Question to Firaxis: is it so hard to add a little textfield to define a game host's IP?

P.S. Similar problem exists also with other new titles such as Warcraft 3, Age of Wonders 2, Starcraft/Broodwar (with newest patch featuring play using UDP)... It looks like an epidemy to me
Old November 27, 2002, 22:09   #2
aebrahim
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:43
Get the 1.14f patch. Direct IP support is in there.
Old November 27, 2002, 22:28   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:43
I hope it works for them...

Have host click 'Host' with Location set to 'Local'.

Have each client enter the host's network IP address after clicking the Direct IP button (just above the GameSpy logo in 1.14). See if that works.
Old November 28, 2002, 17:49   #4
fladiv
Settler

Local Time: 15:43
thanks, I'll check the latest patch out. I didn't found anything about this in changelogs of patches so didn't bother to check them first