Old November 28, 2002, 14:37   #1
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Patch 1.14... Good or Not?
Hi!
Now I want to know your opinion on the new patch, after the first excitment of the release of the patch!!
I Want to know if the patch is real good?

I want to know if a 3-4-5-6 Players games, when it come to modern era, with many city and units, if it's real slow or lagless?

Want to know, now if PTW is lagless... I dont talk at the beginning of the game, but when it come more complex(industrial and modern era)...???

So have a nice day!!

p.s.: Anyone serious want to play a Civ3PTW email me at:
dominic_doucet@hotmail.com

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old November 28, 2002, 15:40   #2
canadianbacon
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Multiplayer
Settler

Local Time: 03:45
Did not fix crashes for me.
Well for me it made little difference. 1.14f still crashes with 'error accessing memory at........' errors in the Game setup, or on the first turn. Maybe in another 15 patches (say 1.29 like CivIII) I'll get to play MP, either the patch by then will work, or I'll have a different PC!

Of course by then you all will be so good at it, when I do get online and playing I'll get my rear-end kicked and not enjoy the game anyways.
Old November 28, 2002, 23:28   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 06:45
If you ever get a MP game into the modern era from the beginning I'd be impressed. Not because of technical difficulties, but rather because of other players winning before then. All of my games (even with players who are builders in SP) have been major blood baths in the ancient and middle ages.

One thing to remember is that the game will only go as fast as the worst computer and the worst internet connection (and the slowest player).

If you have a green ping to all of the other players it is smooth going.

Yellow pings are good for 2-4 players max, in my experience.

Don't even bother if you've got a red ping player in your game. It won't be pretty. This isn't really a fault of PTW, it's just that every time the host has to communicate with that player it stalls the game for at least a half second. This is just a fact of internet communication life. Don't give me the example of your favorite FPS/RTS and how it's 'lag-free'. It's not. It cheats. It can use client side prediction to guess what's going to hapen next and correct after it finally gets the messages.
Old November 29, 2002, 06:27   #4
Adm.Naismith
King

Local Time: 12:45
OT: move prediction to avoid lag
Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Don't give me the example of your favorite FPS/RTS and how it's 'lag-free'. It's not. It cheats. It can use client side prediction to guess what's going to hapen next and correct after it finally gets the messages.
Hi WarpStorm, this technic seems interesting to me: can you point me to some Internet resources with info about it (or spend some words on a PM to me on the subject)? TIA

I see it could be a bit OT, but i think it's enough related to Multiplayer to deserve some space.
Old November 29, 2002, 07:42   #5
Franses
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

As it stands now PTW does not work for Dutch (European?) players. Many of us (if not all, I have not heard of one dutch guy able to play 1.14f) can not install patch 1.14f and play the game. See also the sticky thread about bugs. So, if you are Dutch do not buy PTW until this problem is solved (and this may well be true for more Europeans).
Old November 29, 2002, 08:51   #6
Sunstone
Chieftain

But Franses, why should there be ANY difference in game versions from holland to US ? There are 3 versions, afaik, US, uk, europ.
I have the us version of CIV3 and PTW. Which version do you have ? Doesn´t work with v1.14f using a copied cd.

@canadianbacon

you have a memory problem. The game is ok. Try to remove one Memory stick or change the slot or change the timings in your bios or or or buy a new pc.
Old November 29, 2002, 08:57   #7
Sandy
Settler

Local Time: 11:45
1.14f is very very good.
I had a 4 player game last night, and we got to about gunpowder before abandoning (it was really late at night). I would say virtually lagless if all your players are around 200 ping on a form of broadband. Make sure noone is above 300ms, because that would probably degrade your game a bit.
Old November 29, 2002, 08:59   #8
Kampus majore
Chieftain

Is it already available here then? I mean in the stores.

Hm, I'll keep your advice in mind!
Old November 29, 2002, 11:04   #9
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I have no problem whatsoever playing PTW (it's a bit slow, but so is my connection), and I'm Dutch.

Quote:
Originally posted by Franses
As it stands now PTW does not work for Dutch (European?) players. Many of us (if not all, I have not heard of one dutch guy able to play 1.14f) can not install patch 1.14f and play the game. See also the sticky thread about bugs. So, if you are Dutch do not buy PTW until this problem is solved (and this may well be true for more Europeans).
Old November 29, 2002, 12:37   #10
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:45
Quote:
Good or Not?
Good, but not good enough.
Old November 29, 2002, 15:23   #11
Caliban
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
I have no problem whatsoever playing PTW (it's a bit slow, but so is my connection), and I'm Dutch.
Did you install 1.14? Do you have the US version?
Old November 29, 2002, 19:54   #12
Franses
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunstone
But Franses, why should there be ANY difference in game versions from holland to US ? There are 3 versions, afaik, US, uk, europ.
I have the us version of CIV3 and PTW. Which version do you have ? Doesn´t work with v1.14f using a copied cd.

@canadianbacon

you have a memory problem. The game is ok. Try to remove one Memory stick or change the slot or change the timings in your bios or or or buy a new pc.
I was very surprised myself but it seems that the copy protection of the US version is different from the (I suppose) European version. That is why. There is no problem with my memory. I and many others have this problem on more than 1 comp.
Old November 29, 2002, 23:53   #13
WarpStorm
King

I wouldn't be surprised if Infogrames put a different copy protection scheme on the European versions and didn't bother to inform Firaxis of it.
Old November 30, 2002, 07:38   #14
statusperfect
King

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Infogrames put a different copy protection scheme on the European versions and didn't bother to inform Firaxis of it.
Are you serious about this statement? It seems like you know quite a bit about the Firaxis-Infogrames relations.... please tell.
Old December 4, 2002, 04:20   #15
ajerzguy
Settler

Local Time: 11:45
I'll certainly add my 2 cents. This PTW is GREAT I said Great. There are a few minor issues with game but the 1.14f is running as smooth as pudding. Since the release of the 1.04f patch i've played just about every day. The 1.14f patch has only enhanced my enjoyment. I'd have to say I have spent at least 100hrs playing this game online. That computes to approximately 30 cents an hour and falling. Well worth the investment. And the really good thing is..................... it's only going to get Better. Check out my Successful Multiplayer thread here or at Civfanatics and join in on the fun.

Lock me up with PTW and throw away the keys.

Old December 4, 2002, 05:21   #16
statusperfect
King

That's the spirit man.
Old December 4, 2002, 05:30   #17
Lucilla
Mac
Princess

Quote:
Well, they did put a different copy protection on. That's why Europeans can't play 1.14. There are multiple complaints in multiple threads about this. It will only work with a no-CD crack, which is of course illegal (and so is selling a product that doesn't work, IMO)
Old December 4, 2002, 06:45   #18
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Quote:
It will only work with a no-CD crack
ssssst, Ming is listening!
quick, remove the forbidden words!
people might do a google search and find the highly forbidden fixing software, and get a working product they paid for which would be a shame!
Old December 4, 2002, 06:51   #19
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucilla
which is of course illegal (and so is selling a product that doesn't work, IMO)
I'll play devil's advocate on this. While I personally have gripes with the whole EULA system, read your EULA. They didn't 'sell' you anything. They gave you a limited license to 'use' their software. They also said that if it doesn't work as described in the documentation send it back to Infogrames for a full refund.