Old November 29, 2002, 04:03   #1
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 12:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Great Leader do they grow on trees ?
Last night I was playing a few turns on my current game as Rome. Its somewhere in the 1800's and I am miles ahead of the pack in tech and power etc. The war I had fought previously had been very long and tough fighting against Egypt which got me an average number of GL's. In fact the GL generation had been normal for the whole game to date.

Ive now been fighting the Aztecs for approx 7 turns, the idiots kept demanding stuff and declaring war on me right through this game so I had decided to invade and teach them a lesson. I assembled a fleet and did a quick landing and took a city on the coast with two spices. I had MA and MI and they were still equiped with Cav and Inf.

Over the next few turns they sent waves of troops to try and recapture the city all which fell to my tanks. I offered them peace and they accepted only to declare war on me 2 turns later when I told them to leave my land. At this point in the game I saved and left it for a few days.

Right then back to last night, I had now rushed an airport and had airlifted masses of tanks and MI's into the city along with my now aging bombers and several sparkly new stealth bombers which I used to damage the stacks of Infantry they kept sending to attack me.
following the bombing I used my tanks to finish them off. I had about thirty elite MA and wasnt surprised when I got a GL as I had no wonders etc that needed to be built I decided to make an army with it.

I attacked with the next elite and was amazed to get another GL, I repeated this process and on this turn alone six of my elites had been promoted and I now had six new armies. Not only did my elites amaze me but every veteran became elite in the process.

Well after I had stopped grinning to myself I set about the next stack of fresh victims kindly delivered by the Aztecs during there turn. You may not believe this yourselves but the same thing happened. I made sure to turn each leader into an army straight away so as to allow the chance of another and by the time I had finished this turn I had 10 new armies. I was running out of elites to get promotion.

In a whole year of playing this game I have never seen anything like this before !!
Old November 29, 2002, 04:17   #2
aaglo
King

Local Time: 14:47
I'll say you got lucky...
Old November 29, 2002, 06:02   #3
Adm.Naismith
King

Re: Great Leader do they grow on trees ?
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
In a whole year of playing this game I have never seen anything like this before !!
Presto, go straight to a buy a Lottery ticket or play with Bingo: you should be wasting all your luck with Civ III instead of pointing it to relevant use

Last edited by Adm.Naismith; November 29, 2002 at 18:12.
Old November 29, 2002, 10:23   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 05:47
go to the horse races, or get a lottery ticket, or something like that...like Adm said, you don't need to be pointing your luck to something relevant

Lucky!!! I usually only get 2-3-4 GLs per game!
Old November 29, 2002, 10:29   #5
Messer Niccolò
Prince

Re: Re: Great Leader do they grow on trees ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Adm.Naismith

Presto, go straight to a buy a Lottery ticket or play with Bingo: you should be wasting all your luck with Civ III instead of addressing it to relevant use
... too late... and now the big wheel of fortune is spinning again....

Your winning ticket has been exchanged with some GLs in Civ III...

That's life...
Old November 29, 2002, 16:14   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 07:47
That is a rare feat. I have only had two games that spawned more than 8 leaders. I admit I rarely play map bigger than std any more. Those two games were both on huge maps, one had 28 and the other 55. I was at war nearly the whole game with most civs, so I had many battles every turn. IIRC I made 6 leaders in one turn. I am happy with 5 in a game for the most part. Less is bad, more is good and not common for me.
Old November 29, 2002, 17:14   #7
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

It seems I over estimated the number from the two turns, I said 10 GL's earlier it was actually 8. I forgot that I already had two armies back on my continent.

Anyways Ive got a save here from after the first turn, 1828 is the date and the second batch of Aztecs awaits your judgement. If you have a go at this try not to be tempted to plough on into enemy territory just see how many of these GL's from heaven you can get. You need to sort out production a little to gain some extra gold and of course more tanks to promote. Ive been putting the promoted elites into the new armies to get them out of way. Make sure you convert your leaders into armies straight away so as to be eligable for another.

The flow of Aztecs does begin to fall after a while but they keep coming. For some reason he wants peace but is not prepared to leave your territory.

Try this out and let me know how many you got Im going now to do the same.
Attached Files:
Old December 1, 2002, 18:34   #8
Herzog
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Latin Lovers
Prince

question

a GL can be produced by a victorious army with elites on it?
"Recuerde, un pais que tiene principios, tiene fin"
Old December 1, 2002, 19:05   #9
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Nope... no GLs from Armies. You can get one by defeating an Army though.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 2, 2002, 03:37   #10
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Well I dont know if anyone tried this but I got a total of 12 GL's from about 6 turns against the Aztecs then they dried up, but Ive continued the game and have now encountered German Panzers and Ive started to get a rush of GL's again. Another four from 2 turns so Im planning an Invasion of their territory to see if I can get some more.

I did use some GL's for wonders throughout the game and I would estimate the GL count for this game to be approx 23 to date about 1860 ish.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 2, 2002, 06:49   #11
Tattila the Hun
King

Wah, is there something wrong with the game? That's unnatural!
Old December 2, 2002, 08:24   #12
theNiceOne
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
Wah, is there something wrong with the game? That's unnatural!
Its not unnatural, only unlikely...
...just as it is unlikely to get 20 heads when you flip a coing 20 times.

But the 20 heads has the exact chance of happening as any other single head/tail combination, i.e. a little less than 1 in 1 million.

This means that if 10 million people each flip a coing 20 times, you can expect that 10 of the get 20 heads.

So, with civ3 as with flipping a coin, since the results are random, even the very unlikely combinations will happen once in a while.

There would be something wrong if a low chance combination could never happen though.
Old December 2, 2002, 14:24   #13
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

Thats true enough, Ive played games before now and got no GL's so this kind of makes up for that.

BTW got another two earlier today taking the total now to 25.
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old December 2, 2002, 14:39   #14
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that a major factor here was your use of Modern Armor. MA are the ultimate leader-generators. They have 3 attacks per turn. If you win 2 consecutive battles, you get a guaranteed promotion, so each MA will become elite quickly, provided that you have enough cannonfodder (sounds like you do). Now, I will admit that 6+ leaders on one turn is pretty crazy, but I can see how it happened, what with hordes of elite MA and the Heroic Epic.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 4, 2002, 22:40   #15
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

3 more! Two against the Japs and one the Russians. 28 now has anybody else ever had this many ? or more from a game.
Old December 4, 2002, 23:39   #16
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
vxma1 had a ridiculous game with 40-50 GLs.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 5, 2002, 01:34   #17
vmxa1
Deity

Yup, 55 to be exact. One other time was I think 28, no other time have I ever had more than 10.
Old December 6, 2002, 04:52   #18
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

30 now! has anyone else tried the save and got similar results?

Its about 1890 now so theres still a long way to go. I think Ive got 18 Armies now, Ive used some of them to rush Airports etc and late game wonders.
Old December 6, 2002, 05:19   #19
georges bonbon
Warlord

Local Time: 11:47
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisiusMaximus
30 now! has anyone else tried the save and got similar results?
I always play on huge maps and I always got the maximum number of GL by 1900 AD: +/- 30.

Having played 2 games with PTW, I am under the impression that the generosity of GL is over....
Old December 12, 2002, 05:55   #20
aaglo
King

A funny thing happened to me yesterday.

I was egypt, year was 1825 BC. I was in war with Americans. They sent some warriors and spearmen to my territory. I attacked an elite warrior with my regular archer. My archer lost (that wasn't so interesting) but the american warrior produced a great leader!!!! From the first battle between our countries!!!

Has anyone seen this kind of quick leader production?
Old December 12, 2002, 06:24   #21
Datajack Franit
NationStates
King

Only happens to AI
I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom
Old December 12, 2002, 09:04   #22
georges bonbon
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by georges bonbon

I always play on huge maps and I always got the maximum number of GL by 1900 AD: +/- 30.

Having played 2 games with PTW, I am under the impression that the generosity of GL is over....
Correction, in my last game (PTW) they were all back.
Old December 12, 2002, 09:28   #23
theNiceOne
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by aaglo
A funny thing happened to me yesterday.

I was egypt, year was 1825 BC. I was in war with Americans. They sent some warriors and spearmen to my territory. I attacked an elite warrior with my regular archer. My archer lost (that wasn't so interesting) but the american warrior produced a great leader!!!! From the first battle between our countries!!!

Has anyone seen this kind of quick leader production?
Yes, I have. In a regent game about a half year ago, the romans declared war against me with one single legionary inside my territory. I attacked it with an elite swordman and got a leader. I desperately needed my Forbidden Palace then, so getting the leader was great. Soon after the war was over
Old December 12, 2002, 13:14   #24
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

An early GL if your lucky enough to get one can seal the victory of the game itself.
Old December 12, 2002, 16:39   #25
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Yes it can. Soooo powerful. See "A Strategic Choice" in the strategy forum. I posted a game in which I got a leader in 1025bc. I played it out using the leader to rush the Pyramids, while another poster used it to build a pretty optimal forbidden palace ASAP. His was the more powerful option (as I suspected it would be). But both were huge advantages.

I recently lost such a game due to my autosave mysteriously being shut off (I didn't get defeated, I just literally lost the game). I generated a leader from my one - and only - elite unit combat: an elite warrior taking down a regular archer (I attacked the archer). I forget the date, but it was early. I was holding the leader to rush the FP in Madrid when I captured it (Madrid was well-placed for the FP and had the Pyramids too). I always have the autosave on, so I assumed it would be there... 4000bc - 50AD down the tubes. *sigh* That hurt. I was so excited: that game was going to be awesome.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 12, 2002, 17:04   #26
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Quote:
I recently lost such a game due to my autosave mysteriously being shut off
This ain't a mystery. It comes from playing PBEM games. Unfortunately, the game takes the setting of any loaded game instantly in your preferences. So if you started a game, after you just played a PBEM turn, it could be started with preference settings from another player. I also noticed, somebody in our Minitourney gang plays "ironman", with autosave off. I suspect it's alexman, although I have no prove .

I have an empty 4000bc save with the sole purpose to be loaded before I set up a new game, in order to restore my preferences.

This is, of course, a flaw and should be fixed.
Old July 6, 2003, 07:15   #27
ChrisiusMaximus
Emperor

BUMP for the benefit of the people posting in a thread about a lack of great leaders
Old July 7, 2003, 14:49   #28
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 08:47
Since I'm not a warmonger at heart, I never got more than 5-6 GLs per game. There was only one game where I got 12 GLs, but I was in constant war almost since the beginning.
Old July 9, 2003, 17:33   #29
Muad'Dib
King

Question was, "Do Great Leaders grow on trees?

Answer: YES, especially if you save the game before each attack and then reload when you don't get the outcome you desire.

Old July 9, 2003, 19:10   #30
vmxa1
Deity

I need to find that tree as I am in the year 2000 in AU402 and have not gotten a single leader.
I have had as many 17 civs declare war on me at anyone point in time.