Old November 29, 2002, 09:51   #1
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Age of Empires 2 Forum Site
Does anyone know of an AoE2 forum site, similar to Apolyton or CFC? I'm getting this game for Christmas and would like to check some stuff out.
Old November 29, 2002, 14:48   #2
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 13:47
Depends on what you want to know, you need patches or ya have questions about strategy ... or?

Btw AoE2 is quite old already, you don't mean you're going to buy Age of Mythology right?
Old November 29, 2002, 18:04   #3
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
Depends on what you want to know, you need patches or ya have questions about strategy ... or?
Wel, I'm interested in strategy and general concepts. But, I may need patches, depends what comes in the box (Mac - AoE2 Gold Edition).

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus Btw AoE2 is quite old already, you don't mean you're going to buy Age of Mythology right?
Yea, I know its been out, but I'd like to give it a try. Plus, I've not ever played any RTS games and this one comes recommeded. I'm also going to pick up Europa Universalis II when it comes out after Christmas.
Old November 29, 2002, 18:10   #4
The Pioneer
Prince

Local Time: 12:47
Well you can always use www.gamefaqs.com and see what they have. Usually, in the guides or faqs that you will find on the site will recommend some sites to you.

So long...
Old November 29, 2002, 20:02   #5
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 14:47
May I recommend forums of AOE2.com, the site I run, that you can access at http://aoe2.nhgf.net . Don't be scared by the low member count, we reopened them just recently.

Other than that, http://aok.heavengames.com would be my other suggestion.
Old November 29, 2002, 22:57   #6
dojoboy
Mac
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
May I recommend forums of AOE2.com, the site I run, that you can access at http://aoe2.nhgf.net . Don't be scared by the low member count, we reopened them just recently.
Thanks, I did find this site through yahoo and registered earlier today/yesterday. I'll spend some more time there, but I noticed the "strategy" link was under construction. What is the time-frame for getting those pages up and running?

Quote:
Originally posted by Solver
Other than that, http://aok.heavengames.com would be my other suggestion.
Okay, I'll check it out, thanks.
Old November 30, 2002, 10:18   #7
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

The strategy pages for AoK on main site won't be up too soon, however, a big AoK FAQ, that includes main strategy questions outline is due in the next few days.

Generally, going to the Strategy section under forums will provide you quite some nice information to start with.
Old November 30, 2002, 14:13   #8
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

Local Time: 13:47
The best thing i can recommend you is.... build LOTS of pikemen

(or halberdiers, if you play the AoK expansion: the conquerers which i can truly recommend.... AoK should have been what the conquerers is)

well the patches you can download from the zone i think...

And, when you play deathmatch (20000 of each resource) don't start foraging, hunting, building universities, etc...
that's a typical newbie mistake!!

build as much castles, barracks and stables as you can and mass produce all the time so you have a steady flow of 100 units/5 minutes or so
Old November 30, 2002, 16:25   #9
Solver
lifer
Deity

Pikemen? Gah, in Random Map games they're only useful against people who use cavalry... while I clearly see all the Paladin advantages, my favorite remains an army of infantry, with some Skirmisher protection to it.

DeathMatch... yes, you need units fast. See what's your primary unit source, according to your civilization. If you're Franks, Huns, Spanish or the likes, it's Stable. If you're Aztec, Viking or such, it's Barracks. You start by building some your primary buildings, queue 15 Paladins/Champions, gather point at enemy base (for a rush approach). Remember to work on housing, Town Center works on villagers. Villagers move their lazy butts and collect resources, still. 3-4 Castles nearby too, used for Trebuchets, but may want to mix some unique units in as well. Remember the Market trick: build a Market before your enemy does, and sell your wood down till it only costs 14 gold, that way you get yourself plenty extra gold.