Old May 1, 2000, 00:38   #1
SpideyBat
Settler

Local Time: 01:43
Local Date: October 31, 2010
AC: The movie
Here's a good idea, the Alpha Centauri movie! Since it can easily be adapted as a story, I wouldn't be suprised if its a big hit! Think about it 7+ factions competing for their own ideas and beliefs. What do you all think about that idea?
Old May 1, 2000, 08:35   #2
LoD
Prince

Local Time: 02:43
That's an old idea. Check some of the previous threads.

LoD
Old May 3, 2000, 01:24   #3
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 11:43
I think it would be a fantastic idea, especially with all the Space movies coming out soon, including the possibility of Terminator III in a few years. And imagine having the inspiration of a movie, to fuel our game play? Frankly, anyone now who could be bothered writing up a script and sending it to Hollywood, has an excellent chance to make some big bucks. Unfortunately, most of the fiction I have read, including the official story, is so pathetic, it nearly sent me to sleep.
Here are some movies similar to AC:
Dune (no doubt the brains behind AC were inspired from this book)
Aliens (the soldiers and technology in this film reminds me very much how the Spartans society would behave and look)
Terminator II (the future sequences a very similar to how warfare would be on Alpha Centauri)
Total Recall

And several other movies which I cant remember right now.

On another note, anyone here ever listened to Pink Floyds The Wall, and suspected that the creators of AC had some inpiration from this album? Even the artwork of The Wall, you will notice the worms on the cover, look suspiciously similar to the Brood Worms of AC.

Bkeela
Old May 3, 2000, 03:48   #4
Vi Vicdi
Prince

Local Time: 19:43
Local Date: October 30, 2010
SMAC is shot through with subtle innuendo and references to the 60's.

Tune in, turn on, and become one with the 'shrooms, man, because Planet will talk to us if we would just take the time to meditate and Transcend.

Meanwhile "The Man" is busy socially engineering society in a pointedly sinister and Orwellian fashion, religious zealots wage holy Jihad, and good business is bad karma.

Naturally the granola-eating nature-babe (or the Shroom Queen not to put too fine a point on it) is the heroine of our story -- while the scandalous rumor of her dancing naked through the trees only enhances her reputation.

I suspect the subtle hand of at least one ex-hippie was at work here.

(Not to be outdone SMAC-X pulls a "Little Mermaid" trick on its cover art ...)
Old May 3, 2000, 10:35   #5
edgecrusher

jeez. i remember contributing to that smac movie thread back in the .owo days... **sigh** i was just an egg back then...

Old May 3, 2000, 15:51   #6
kaz
Warlord

Local Time: 01:43
The Spartans are clearly a rip-off of the book Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein, right down to it being a book long reason for the +1 Police.

[This message has been edited by kaz (edited May 03, 2000).]