Old November 30, 2002, 18:14   #1
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 06:50
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Maps of Earth for PtW?
Arghh, looked everywhere for this now and still can't find it. Does anyone know of a preferrably Huge but i'll take Large Map of the Earth for PtW that has correct starting locations for all Civilizations? All the ones I find either don't have correct places for all the civilizations or have modded rules, or more often, both. Its really annoying, so if anyone knows of please post a link.
Old November 30, 2002, 19:32   #2
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 07:50
chaotik vision:
Did you look:
http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...b_pages&cat=46
Marla Map

And look for the updated
TETurkhan test of time

have a nice day

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old November 30, 2002, 19:38   #3
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

I've seen both of these. TETurkhan has rule/civ changes, and has ALOT of barbarians. Its a good map, but not what i'm looking for. Marlas doesn't have an updated PtW version with no rules changes that has correct starting locations for all Civilizations I don't think. But thanks anyway, the search continues.
Old November 30, 2002, 21:54   #4
WarpStorm
King

It takes 5 minutes or less to get Marla's correct for PTW.
Old November 30, 2002, 22:30   #5
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
It takes 5 minutes or less to get Marla's correct for PTW.
Meaning what? Its easy to place starting locations? If I knew where all the Civs should be placed i'd do it myself but i'm not exactly sure of it.
Old December 1, 2002, 09:29   #6
WarpStorm
King

Here's one I knocked out on kal-el's 180x180 map.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip world24.zip (50.7 KB, 18 views)
Old December 1, 2002, 14:43   #7
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Ah, thanks. It was the Celts and Ottomans I wasn't sure of where exactly to place. Had them shown in several different locations on maps I had. Nice graphics mod by the way, which brings me to my next question, how do you point a scenario to a set of graphics like that? I remember hearing of some way to use custom map graphics with mods/scenarios, but I can't remember what it was.
Old December 1, 2002, 14:52   #8
WarpStorm
King

I took it out of the bix I sent you

To add it in put the name of the directory where the graphics are (in this case Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain) in the field labeled Scenario Search Folders on the Scenario Properties page.
Old December 1, 2002, 16:17   #9
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Alright, thanks again then. Trying to setup a mod for myself of Earth with some changes from the BTM and AU mods, to improve AI and make things more fun. I'm also trying to slow down tech research, so we aren't in the modern age super-quickly. You have any ideas? Should I raise tech costs, maybe make the AIs trade them less?
Old December 1, 2002, 20:42   #10
WarpStorm
King

A simple way I do in the mod I fiddle with off and on (it is based on BTM and vice versa) I raised the cap to 50 turns on techs and lower the AI to AI trade rate. This tends to stretch the early game out longer.

A more radical approach I've been experimenting with lately is to not allow contact and map trading till later in the game (I'm trying to find the sweet spot, but I'm leaning towards Navigation). This makes for tech haves and tech have nots.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:58   #11
Switch
Prince

Marla's map is good, but the Greek and Ottomans are MUCH too close. Kal-el's 180x180, though tis good too, is much too small for 24 civs.

Here's one I fixed up, using "Earth 256", using the "Earth [Real - Terrain]" map. There is a bit more space between most civs, although the Celts crowd the Romans.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip earth [real - start].zip (83.6 KB, 13 views)
Old December 1, 2002, 23:15   #12
WarpStorm
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Switch
Kal-el's 180x180, though tis good too, is much too small for 24 civs.
I disagree. I've played his a few times. It is about as big as I can stand on my poor computer.

Usually, I like playing 24 civs on a standard random world. Some folks are going to get squeezed out
Old December 1, 2002, 23:29   #13
Switch
Prince

Quote:

I disagree. I've played his a few times. It is about as big as I can stand on my poor computer.

Usually, I like playing 24 civs on a standard random world. Some folks are going to get squeezed out

I find europe incredibly crowded with a giga map! I can't imagine 180x180 (what size would that be?)
Old December 2, 2002, 05:51   #14
WarpStorm
King

It is crowded. The fringe civs have a slight advantage in that they have little growing room without war.
Old December 3, 2002, 00:45   #15
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Looked at the map you posted, its Europe is still around the same size as Kal-Els so i'd have the same problem. I also didn't like how it had alot more hospitable terrain, like having alot of tundra where it should be. The European Civs besides for Germany/Russia really have no chance either way it seems, unless they start conquering each other. Heres my minimap from my current game. It is pretty crowded, but so far no civ has been destroyed and i'm hoping strong powers will develop in all parts of the world, make for a nice balanced World War, heh.

Playing as the Ottomans right now(gold colored civ). Following the suggestions i've made Galleys wheeled and Oceans impassable to wheeled units, so the Americas stay isolated. I also restricted Communications trading till Education. Set the AI trade rate at 100, and did minimum research time at 10, maximum at 60. Seems to have slowed it down some, though maybe not enough. Its 950 AD and i'm researching Democracy, theres maybe 1/4th of the Mideval techs left, have to see how it plays out I guess.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	crowded.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	30583  
Old December 3, 2002, 14:23   #16
Stuie
King

Local Time: 07:50
Quote:
A more radical approach I've been experimenting with lately is to not allow contact and map trading till later in the game (I'm trying to find the sweet spot, but I'm leaning towards Navigation). This makes for tech haves and tech have nots.
That's something I've done in my mod that makes the entire game MUCH more enjoyable. I linked map trading to Astonomy, and communications to Navigation. That way you have an early game (in which you are mostly concerned with your immediate neighbors) that lasts a good long time, allowing you to really develop good/bad relations in the smaller sub-set of civs that are near by. Then along comes Astronomy/Navigation and BOOM the rest of the world appears. The civs you meet later really feel like strangers after playing strictly with your neighbors for so long. I like it.

For reference, I play 24 civs on a 180x180 random map. I'm still tweaking the tech rate to reach a comfortable level of tech progression (something close to reality). My current tweak has me researching Refining right around 1800. Time to up the Tech Rate a little more...