Old December 1, 2002, 21:17   #1
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Speeding up Gameplay Proposal
Here's the idea:

We have a thread that is solely for posting the saves along the lines of GodKing's suggestion. The only posts in the thread are those by each teams leader when they finish their turn.

No more hunting for emails, trying to find out who to email to as the last leader is unavailable, etc. You can immediately tell what team is up by whoever posted in the thread last. After Legoland plays their first turn there shouldn't be any problem as all teams will have a password protected game.

Order is:
Gathering Storm
Neu Demogyptica
Glory of War
Roleplay
Vox Controli
Lux Invicta
Legoland

Lather, Rinse, Repeat
Old December 1, 2002, 21:32   #2
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 07:53
uh this isnt going to work, i didnt put a password for vox
Old December 1, 2002, 21:48   #3
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Originally posted by flash9286
uh this isnt going to work, i didnt put a password for vox
What!?

your joking right??
Old December 1, 2002, 21:49   #4
flash9286
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
King

nope not joking
Old December 1, 2002, 21:52   #5
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Old December 1, 2002, 21:58   #6
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Okay, so AFTER TURN TWO we can do this to simplify the transfer of the game.
Old December 1, 2002, 21:59   #7
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Whaddya mean you didn't put a password? Did it ask for one, and you just skipped the dialogue?

Whatever it is, you probably should have put a password!!! (Or at least you couldn't have told us you didn't put one )
Old December 1, 2002, 22:01   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Whaddya mean you didn't put a password? Did it ask for one, and you just skipped the dialogue?

Whatever it is, you probably should have put a password!!! (Or at least you couldn't have told us you didn't put one )
It asks for a password, but you can skip it and leave it blank.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:05   #9
Randolph
Prince

can you add a password later?
Old December 1, 2002, 22:07   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
can you add a password later?
I would think so, but I'm not sure.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:31   #11
Randolph
Prince

Well it might assume that if you needed a password you'd make on... even if you only *might* need one. MP hardly works, they may not have had time to fully idiot proof it yet.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:36   #12
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

We can skip public posting of Vox's turn. They can email.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:37   #13
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

ANYWAY TURN ONE IS COMPLETE!

If Vox can still intsall a password we'll be cooking with gas.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:37   #14
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Actually, it would be RP that email to them.

I trust people and all, but some things may be too tempting for some people. There are a lot of us. What is the old saying, locks keep honest people honest...
Old December 1, 2002, 22:38   #15
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
We can skip public posting of Vox's turn. They can email.
We can post them in a single forum except for the Roleplay team who will have to email to the approiate Vox member.

Oops, nye and me posted at the same time.
Old December 1, 2002, 22:56   #16
punkbass2000
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameApolyton UniversityCivilization III PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
Actually, it would be RP that email to them.

I trust people and all, but some things may be too tempting for some people. There are a lot of us. What is the old saying, locks keep honest people honest...
Plus anyone could join, any time, theoretically.
Old December 1, 2002, 23:00   #17
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by punkbass2000

Plus anyone could join, any time, theoretically.
Yes, I'm thinking I may only give the password to the game's designated player for my team, even though I would like everyone to be able to look at the game.

Maybe just not to the new members until they've been on the team for awhile.
Old December 2, 2002, 01:16   #18
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:53
Damnit Flash! Whay were you thinking?
Old December 2, 2002, 01:39   #19
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i vote the vox controli civ be dismantled and removed from the game
Old December 2, 2002, 07:40   #20
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

Local Time: 12:53
I dont want save files to be posted here! everybody in the world can load them in the wrong way (bug!!!) and tell us everything... i even will Not give the save file to every team member of my team!!! i trust every team leader here but i dont trust everybody... if save files will be posted here then I will quit the game...

My proposal: send the file per email and then post here that you have sent the email - or let us build a mailing list which automatically can send reports to a board so everybody can see a log file of the turns and also how long every turn needs...

An example!
Team_A sends the save to game to TheGameMailServer (GMS) with the save file attached and with the mail subject "Team_A"... GMS forwards automatically the save file to all email-adresses given us by Team_B. GMS also sends a report message to ALL emailadresses given us by all 7 teams (content: the save file was sended at XX p.m from team A to Team B)

Team_B sends the save to game to TheGameMailServer (GMS) with the save file attached and with the mail subject "Team_B"... GMS forwards automatically the save file to all email-adresses given us by Team_C. GMS also sends a report message to ALL emailadresses given us by all 7 teams (content: the save file was sended at XX p.m from team B to Team C)

AND THIS IS WHAT WE NEED!!!

CAN APOLYTON BUILD IT?
Old December 2, 2002, 07:49   #21
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Thinking of what Borc says, he has a point. Someone evil could spoil the game for us by revealing what we should not know if we post the saves here.

Hm, I didn't think of it this way... but Borc is right. Let's not publicly post the saves.
Old December 2, 2002, 07:54   #22
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 13:53
posting saves publicly is a big

just e-mail them and notify the group in a publi, special thread.
There is no need IMO to make things more complicated then they allready are
Old December 2, 2002, 08:21   #23
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Well, I guess that kills the speed up proposal. It took 10 minutes for me to get the game because Borc sent it to the wrong email and then we wern't sure which email to send to the roleplay, and then Jackwww couldn't be there the whole time so it had to be changed but I guess we can live with a few days delay between turns.
Old December 2, 2002, 08:28   #24
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
Well, I guess that kills the speed up proposal. It took 10 minutes for me to get the game because Borc sent it to the wrong email and then we wern't sure which email to send to the roleplay, and then Jackwww couldn't be there the whole time so it had to be changed but I guess we can live with a few days delay between turns.
Well, what about making a "topped" thread with the email addresses the savegames are supposed to be sent to? Let each team appoint two or three people to get the save (like President, VP & Foreign Minister). The savegame would automatically go to all three of them. It should be very rare that none of these officials would be available to receive the save and play the turn (and if it happens, then we should put up with that the turn will be delayed a bit). That should be enough to keep the game going at an acceptable pace.
Old December 2, 2002, 08:47   #25
Crousto
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Multiplayer
Prince

What about each team registering a free web site account that can be accessed through FTP (Internet Explorer can do FTP), and they give the password to the previous team. So the previous team can upload the save, only the receiving team can download it, and each team member can easily access the save (the leader can even restrict access by telling the password only to his most trusted team members )
Old December 3, 2002, 13:08   #26
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:53
emailing is way easier, then trying to set up ftp account. Also posting the saves on here will also take up a lot of room. THe way we do it over at the PBEM forum is we start a thread for the game. In the first post put who is playing. I usually email everyone with all the information they need to play the game. Then when you send the game off you post it in the tread so that everyone knows were it is at all times. Now how hard is that??? Yes it does take a long time, but that is the nature of a PBEM game and there is really not much you can do about it.
Old December 3, 2002, 18:25   #27
Crousto
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Multiplayer
Prince

The problem with email is that we are playing a team game, with a 24 hours limit for each turn. If the game is always sent to the same person, you can't be sure that he'll be able to access him mailbox withing the next 24 hours. Always having to ask the next team which adress the game should be sent to will be unmanageable. And the receiver will have to make the save available to other team members too. That's why I tought a FTP account would be the best solution. As I said it can be accessed with Internet Explorer, it's really not hard and I'd be happy to write an help page for this.
Old December 3, 2002, 18:48   #28
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Crousto's got a point. Ftp can be accessed via IE in an url-like format. (send them a link). then the players can bookmark em.
Old December 4, 2002, 02:52   #29
Meshelic
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III Democracy GameNationStatesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:53
I think Vondrack has a great idea. Just make a topped thread, with a list of 3 or 4 people from each team that can be contacted for the save game. They can be reached by PM or email, and should decide between each other who will handle the save, in what order, etc.
Old December 4, 2002, 03:06   #30
zeit
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Instead of an FTP account, why not use a team email account?
Much quicker, and far easier.
Now, if a team wants to host it's own site with the save file stored there (password protected, of course!), that's fine, but the simplest solution for transfering the file around will be a through team email accounts. (As well as backup adresses in case something goes wrong).