Old January 7, 2003, 02:34   #211
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:54
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I just posted in our Team Forum about the wrong save. I don't know when they will get the proper save resent, but it will most likely be sometime tomorrow.

[In Character] We are deeply sorry that this has happened. We have just had a Great Festival, were there was much Drinking & Dancing involved.

Letus Eta Tamali
[/In Character]

E_T
Old January 7, 2003, 04:15   #212
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 12:54
Quote:
Please avoid such mistakes, unless you want me to see their capital and starting location again.
I thought we had sworn not to cheat? Everybody knows about the game bug, that a starting location can be revealed, when loading a MP game in SP mode. The games shall be loaded through the multiplayer menu only, it doesn't allow this cheat.
Old January 7, 2003, 04:31   #213
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:54
well if you load it in mp mode the game settings can be changed and the save can get messed up wich already happened.
Old January 7, 2003, 04:38   #214
Harovan
staff

Sure you have to be careful, when doing this.
Old January 7, 2003, 04:52   #215
Jack_www
Civilization III MultiplayerPtWDG LegolandNationStatesNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

well etheir way you have to be carefull
Old January 7, 2003, 05:07   #216
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack_www
well etheir way you have to be carefull
I don't understand what you mean by this. Do turn your eyes away, when loading a MP through SP mode? Or how else do you avoid to ruin the game?
Old January 7, 2003, 05:11   #217
Jack_www
King

well when i load the game through the sp mode i dont see anyone starting postion, but if you do certain things you can see the start postion of anther team if you are not carefull.
Old January 7, 2003, 08:10   #218
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

When I load the demogame save through the regular Load Game from the main menu into a freshly launched Civ3, I never see anything inappropriate - just a black screen and the password prompt. In order to avoid seeing what I am not supposed to, I always relaunch Civ3 prior to loading the save from LI. Works perfect, even if it is a bit awkward.

The manual expressly says PBEM games are supposed to be loaded through the Load Game function of the Main Menu. And indeed, when we used the MP screen to load it, the save got screwed (on the first turn).

My suggestion to avoid any problems: ALWAYS relaunch Civ3 prior to loading the savegame received. Load the savegame using Load Game in the Main Menu. Works like a charm for me.
Old January 7, 2003, 08:32   #219
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by vondrack
When I load the demogame save through the regular Load Game from the main menu into a freshly launched Civ3, I never see anything inappropriate - just a black screen and the password prompt. In order to avoid seeing what I am not supposed to, I always relaunch Civ3 prior to loading the save from LI. Works perfect, even if it is a bit awkward.
There have been numerous reports, that loading a game in SP mode can reveal the position of your predecessor. I have it seen myself in one of my PBEM games. I lazily loaded the game in SP mode and - voila - there was the capital of Conqueror and I saw his minimap. Mind you that it was not the wrong save, and when I loaded it in MP mode again, I saw nothing what I was not supposed to see.

Some people may see it otherwise, but this kind of "espionage" spoils the game a lot, at least for me.
Old January 7, 2003, 08:44   #220
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

2750BC Save sent to Vox (Eli and Dissident)

Again. Sorry for the mixup and delay.

*dejon slaps himself with a large trout
Old January 7, 2003, 08:45   #221
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Local Time: 06:54
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Please avoid such mistakes, unless you want me to see their capital and starting location again.
Now that was at least a bit immature, and bordering on outright immoral. There goes my hope that this game will be played honorably .
Old January 7, 2003, 08:51   #222
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph

Now that was at least a bit immature, and bordering on outright immoral. There goes my hope that this game will be played honorably .
Eli didn't do anything wrong. When you are asked for a team's password, their world map is showing. It is another bug for Firaxis to work on.
Old January 7, 2003, 08:54   #223
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:54
Turn sent to LI.

Randolph :

What? It's not my fault that they send the wrong savegame. Anyway, I pressed escape the moment I realized it's the wrong savegame so I barely saw a thing.
Old January 7, 2003, 08:59   #224
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Don't you have some naming convention like "PTWDG_2750BC_to_Vox" or "..._to_GS"? If so you would have known that it wasn't your save, if not you should start (and I withdrawal my immoral comment).

[edit] we shouldn't spam this thread, any more on this should be somewhere else.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:13   #225
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by dejon
Eli didn't do anything wrong. When you are asked for a team's password, their world map is showing. It is another bug for Firaxis to work on.
He loaded a MP game in SP mode, no more and no less. And yes, it's a bug, but a widely known. Anyone who knows about it and wants to play honorably, can easily avoid it.

EDIT: Randolph and vondrack are right, but this discussion is net yet over. Let's take it to another place.

Last edited by Harovan; January 7, 2003 at 09:20.
Old January 7, 2003, 09:14   #226
vondrack
lifer
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMCivilization IV PBEMPtWDG Legoland
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
There have been numerous reports, that loading a game in SP mode can reveal the position of your predecessor. I have it seen myself in one of my PBEM games. I lazily loaded the game in SP mode and - voila - there was the capital of Conqueror and I saw his minimap. Mind you that it was not the wrong save, and when I loaded it in MP mode again, I saw nothing what I was not supposed to see.

Some people may see it otherwise, but this kind of "espionage" spoils the game a lot, at least for me.
Well, it has happened to me only once (and I was so shocked to find myself unintentionally "cheating" that I shut the game completely as fast as I was able to). But from what I have been able to realize, the problem was if you had loaded a game before. Out of my experience (made some simple tests with a fake PBEM game later), the first savegame loaded through the "SP" Load Game (in Main Menu) loads just fine. If you try to reload (it does not matter whether through the Main Menu "SP" Load Game or from within a running game (Ctrl+L or something like that), you end up cheating. That's why I always relaunch Civ3 before loading saves coming from LI now.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, forgot this was the Save Game thread...
Old January 7, 2003, 14:22   #227
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I ran into this bug as well. Thankfully, all I saw before quickly closing the game was a starting position for a player we ALREADY had traded minimaps with.

Yes, it's a known bug. You can avoid it by NOT RELOADING THE SAVEGAME when you've already loaded it one time. To avoid the bug, you have to EXIT the game before reloading that save again. That's annoying, but it prevents you from seeing stuff you shouldn't see.
Old January 7, 2003, 16:41   #228
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Er... anyways...

Sent to Gegogand...
Old January 7, 2003, 23:03   #229
Jack_www
King

turn played and sent to GS
Old January 8, 2003, 00:11   #230
Harovan
staff

File sent to Neu Demogyptica.
Old January 8, 2003, 05:51   #231
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

2710 BC sent
Old January 8, 2003, 08:44   #232
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:54
Turn sent to Togas, Arnelos and Dejon.
Old January 8, 2003, 13:20   #233
Hot Mustard
King

2710BC Save sent to Vox (Eli and Dissident)

Yes, the right one this time.
Old January 8, 2003, 14:18   #234
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:54
Turn received. We need to discuss some issues before playing it.
Old January 8, 2003, 19:06   #235
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 04:54
turn sent
Old January 8, 2003, 19:10   #236
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Sent to Zegozand.
Old January 8, 2003, 23:47   #237
Jack_www
King

Turn played and sent to GS.
Old January 9, 2003, 10:43   #238
Harovan
staff

Turn sent to Neu Demogyptica. Time was 2:22pm GMT.
Old January 9, 2003, 13:14   #239
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

turn sent 2670 BC
Old January 9, 2003, 13:35   #240
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:54
Turn sent to Togas, Arnelos and Dejon.