Old December 2, 2002, 11:28   #1
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 11:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Yay! Popups that Ask Me to Download Stuff!
Now my viewing experience is complete. Thanx!
Old December 2, 2002, 13:33   #2
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 12:56
cool.

what is it?
Old December 2, 2002, 15:29   #3
DaShi
Emperor

I selected "no". What was I thinking?

And I stand corrected, after having the popups crash my system, my viewing experience is complete.
Old December 2, 2002, 23:04   #4
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 06:56
Yeah, and if you did not have download active x set to disable or prompt, you would not even get the oportunity to say no to the GD Xupiter crap.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old December 2, 2002, 23:16   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Yeah, and if you did not have download active x set to disable or prompt, you would not even get the oportunity to say no to the GD Xupiter crap.
why anyone not have one of those boxes checked? they'd end up with gator and a host of other undesirable programs on their computer. just the idea of that happening is terrifying to me
Old December 3, 2002, 02:18   #6
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 13:56
Move over to some other browser and you're safe.
Old December 3, 2002, 02:46   #7
The Pioneer
Prince

It dependends on the browser? I thought that spyware installs no matter what!

So long...
Old December 3, 2002, 03:28   #8
Rasbelin
Emperor

Most spyware is bundled with software that the user installs. Like Gator and Kazaa. The most common spyware add-on now is Cydoor. However there's also Active X applets that run code that might violate your privacy (i.e. install spyware). As Active X is a technology by Microsoft to enhance websites, which is a good thing, but it can be misused too. As only MSIE has Active X support, only users of MSIE are in danger for these malicious Active X applets. However you can protect yourself by fine tuning the security settings of your browser (if using MSIE).
Old December 3, 2002, 05:59   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 22:56
Step by step instructions to let you surf more safely, if you are using IE:

There is a little area on the bottom right side of your screen, saying "Internet", with a little world icon next to it. Double-click somewhere in that box to open your security properties window.

Select the internet zone (should already be selected) and then click on the "custom level..." button. This will open up a list of permission options.

Scroll to the bottom of the security settings page. There is a subsection titled "Scripting", and directly under that an option for "active scripting". Set this to prompt (or disable) and you won't be getting problems from popups (or web pages in general) downloading stuff without your permission.

* Note, some sites need active scripting to work properly. A solution to this is left up to the reader.
Old December 3, 2002, 08:28   #10
Hercules
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 SpartansACDG3 GaiansC4DG VoxC4WDG éirich tuireannC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsACDG PeaceACDG3 Data Angels
Deity

Even after I set prompt and cancel, these pop unders still persist and one tried to download evn after I had cancelled. whats going on
Old December 3, 2002, 09:01   #11
Rasbelin
Emperor

I recommend Mozilla and it's built-in pop-up killer. Mozilla also prevents the use of Active X applets as it doesn't support them (reason: Microsoft).
Old December 3, 2002, 09:48   #12
The Pioneer
Prince

Twice in the last two days as I am surfing on Apolyton I get a message to dnload a dialer?! I've already cleande my system with Ad-ware andI have Zone Alarm running. How the heck does that happen? Is it Apolyton? Is there any way to stop all your spy ware from residing on your computer?

So long...
Old December 3, 2002, 10:23   #13
Gangerolf
Prince

Old December 3, 2002, 12:36   #14
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

http://www.cylusion.com/neudemogyptica/popup0190.jpg ---> there i have made a 1024 pixel screnshot!
Old December 3, 2002, 12:56   #15
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I get the dialer popup regularly, when I'm reading the news and my PMs. If this popup is designed to prevent people from reading news, it fulfills it's purpose from now on, at least for me. I understand, that the site needs popups and ads to exist, but that is a bit too much. A popup, that can bless me with a $1000 phone bill, if I'm not careful every time I'm reading news or PMs, deserves a big .
Old December 3, 2002, 13:02   #16
Borc
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Warlord

YES I HATE THIS!!! ITS CRIMINAL! WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR THE APOLYTON TEAM ABOUT THAT!
Old December 3, 2002, 17:52   #17
Thrawn05
King

Goto pcmag.com and download CookieCop 2. It will block java script pop-ups (aka 99.998% of all pop-ups). You can ask it to block them all outright, or ask you want it appear. I have it ask, it's only a little dialog box in the middle of the screen that tells you the address it came from and all. I get dozens of requests in Apolyton... and I saw NO to all.
Old December 3, 2002, 18:29   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 07:56
I just got a pop-up that came up "Web Page Cannot Be Displayed".

And it was just as annoying as the rest.
Old December 3, 2002, 19:20   #19
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

quoting from the other thread...

Quote:
If you have a default style and get the US ads(click here to find out) you should change to a special or ultra special style in order to avoid them

http://apolyton.net/forums/misc.php?...aq&page=10#154
Old December 3, 2002, 20:17   #20
Rasbelin
Emperor

Bleah, I haven't had to suffer at all because of not using MSIE or by allowing the use unrequested pop-up windows.

As I stated before, I recommend Mozilla 1.2.1 (sidenote: released 2 days ago) as it includes a built-in pop-up killer, plus it allows many other security restrictions too. And yes, I'm using the default style and I don't get any pop-ups or annoying ads that want to download unwanted software as I'm using Mozilla.

http://www.mozilla.org/releases
Old December 4, 2002, 02:52   #21
The Pioneer
Prince

Marko, this is not a US ad AFAIK. It's more like a German(?) one. I get the same one as Borc's screenshot. I am kind of scared of these since I surf from work and home and both can becharged lots of €€€ if I am not careful.

Is this deliberate? Or is something else going on?

So long...

Last edited by The Pioneer; December 5, 2002 at 02:51.
Old December 4, 2002, 07:09   #22
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Borc
http://www.cylusion.com/neudemogyptica/popup0190.jpg ---> there i have made a 1024 pixel screnshot!
Ironically - I got a pop-up when I downloaded this picture!!!

SG[1]
Old December 4, 2002, 07:11   #23
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

... and another one when i posted the previous message - rather nastily it had a system bar with close button actually just inside the pop-up which - had i clicked it by mistake would have activated the damn thing.
This is NOT funny.

SG[1]
Old December 4, 2002, 09:03   #24
The Pioneer
Prince

Let me make this clear, I do not mind pop ups! No matter how many there are (this site has to be financed) but with these dialers it can be really dangerous. Especially for people that are not careful. It can cost lots of dough!

So long...
Old December 4, 2002, 09:18   #25
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

SG[1]: When you click on links that point to another site than Poly, you get automatically a popup ad. It's not Borc's fault, I guess.

Pioneer: Face it, nobody really cares about it. They aren't vulnerable, only Germans are and only if they still use a modem. The popup screams "go get DSL". Why should the rest of the World give a damn, that some German modem user, who was naive enough once to click the wrong button, faces a $1000 phone bill next month? Ah well, if somebody passes the Poly URL to a Customer protection agency for this, Poly may end up on a blacklist. Dialer popups still are illegal here.
Old December 4, 2002, 11:29   #26
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
quoting from the other thread...

Quote:
If you have a default style and get the US ads(click here to find out) you should change to a special or ultra special style in order to avoid them

http://apolyton.net/forums/misc.php?...aq&page=10#154
Tried it, and I do not want a special web browser enhancement.
Old December 4, 2002, 14:17   #27
The Pioneer
Prince

I wonder why we haven't heard anything official from the Poly people? Guys! can somebody please give us a response? It happened yet once again on the PTW Forum a couple of hours ago.

So long...
Old December 4, 2002, 15:24   #28
Clear Skies
Prince

Popup stoppers, what a useful tool...
"Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman
Old December 4, 2002, 15:37   #29
The Pioneer
Prince

If you use a pop up stopper doesn't that prevent Poly from getting it money for their advertisement?

So long...
Old December 5, 2002, 00:50   #30
Thrawn05
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pioneer
If you use a pop up stopper doesn't that prevent Poly from getting it money for their advertisement?

So long...

With the money Markos makes from his merchandising? Heck no!